Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where do you shop?

Burgold

Where do you shop? I think I am still more of a brick and mortar guy though I do wade online for certain items. I hear that online is the way young people go even for things like clothes or shoes. Part of the reason for this thread is I feel I should utilize the interwebs more effectively. 

If you primarily go on line where do you hunt? Do you have a favorite site? Where should go for the best deals?

On the other hand, for some things I prefer brick and mortar and Mom and Pop shops. I prefer bookstores even though I sell mine primarily on Amazon. I can’t imagine buying shoes online. Fit is everything and size tells me almost nothing. I don’t even mind paying a premium for service esp if the salespeople really know their stuff. For example, I buy almost all of my radio production gear at Chuck Levins because they know so much about mics and not only can I get good stuff but problem solve and learn how to use the equipment most effectively. 

So, what about you? How and where do you shop? Any favorites? Any tips?

Amazon mostly. With three young kids, if I don’t have to get them out of a car and take them into a store-I won’t. 

We even do grocery shopping online and they load it into our vehicles.

7 minutes ago, DM72 said:

No where in particular. If I want anything in particular, I google it and use the shop option. Sometimes I actually go shopping. 

God bless you. "Shopping" .... walking around a store looking for something TO buy is the worst thing in the world for me. i'm like seal team six when I go into brick and mortar. 

I get a lot from Amazon, basically anything non-perishable and not clothes, I try Amazon first.  Prime member, have the credit card, get a bunch of **** delivered on a schedule.  I love Amazon.

Food I go to Wegmans, by far the best grocery store I've ever seen.

Clothes I buy both online and in stores.  Work clothes, mostly Charles Tyrwhitt and Nordstroms, other stuff I just walk around Tysons and get what I need. 

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I get a lot from Amazon, basically anything non-perishable and not clothes, I try Amazon first.  Prime member, have the credit card, get a bunch of **** delivered on a schedule.  I love Amazon.

Food I go to Wegmans, by far the best grocery store I've ever seen.

Clothes I buy both online and in stores.  Work clothes, mostly Charles Tyrwhitt and Nordstroms, other stuff I just walk around Tysons and get what I need. 

Good point about clothes. I have started to rely more online for shoes—like Zappos. But I still like to buy those in person. Clothes—I primarily shop at TJ Maxx.

If we could get groceries delivered in our area, I think we'd stop going to the groc store. I'd probably go as far as installing a locking fridge outside delivery people could load up.

I shop online for everything besides groceries for the most part.  Clothes, books, electronics, shoes, etc.  It's just so easy and convenient now days.  Who wants to go to crowded stores and have to deal with finding someone to help and long lines because they have one out of 15-20 cash registers open?  Not this guy, that's who.

Now, for clothes and shoes, I'm pretty much the same size and weight for a while now, but in the beginning I would go to Bass Pro Shop and try on some pants, shorts, put some shirts up to see how they should fit.  I used to shop in bulk back when I would actually go to stores because I absolutely hate trying on clothes and shopping.  Once I'd find a pair of shorts that fit right, I'd buy like 5-7 pairs (2 each of three different colors), same with polo style shirts, pants.  Then I'd go to the shoe store, find about 3 pairs that fit, buy them all at once.  Then would usually get sports t-shirts/hoodies for Christmas from family.  Would only have to shop for clothes/shoes about once every 2-3 years.  Did I mention I hate shopping?

Now with almost everything being available online, I never go into a store to buy clothes anymore, unless it's dress clothes/suits.  Heck, since my wife knows my sizes, she usually goes out to a nice store and picks those out.  But now that I work from home (past 5 years) I don't need a bunch of dress clothes anymore, so I have a couple pairs of dress pants and button down shirts and ties, nice shoes on hand (in case of weddings, funerals, or having to go into the office on occasion).

Once you know your size and how certain brands are cut and fit you, no real reason to go to the store anymore.  I just buy them online as I need them now.  Shoes, I have been wearing Saucony for the past 7 years now, I know how they fit, so ordering online isn't an issue.  But, I want a custom pair of Kyrie Irving Nikes, with the price on those, I plan to go to a Footlocker to try on the regular ones to see how they fit as Nikes are made different than Sacauny, before ordering them online.  That will be the first time since 2010 that I have gone into a shoe store.

Edit:  Do the majority of shopping on Amazon, will also get stuff from Bass Pro Shop, Cabbellas (SP?), Saucony, various stores for sports wear (NBA.com, Fanatics.com, etc.).  

Costco, Door to Door organics, Green Chef, Whole Foods.  Everything online/delivery.  Haven't been to the grocery store in probably 7-8 months.  

Buy all our clothes from Amazon, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Nike.  Everything online.  

All electronics online.  

Our dogs are on a raw meat diet from Darwin's delivery service.  

All toiletries from Amazon.

Lazy millennials :headbang:  

4 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Good point about clothes. I have started to rely more online for shoes—like Zappos. But I still like to buy those in person. Clothes—I primarily shop at TJ Maxx.

If we could get groceries delivered in our area, I think we'd stop going to the groc store. I'd probably go as far as installing a locking fridge outside delivery people could load up.

Clothes i buy online if i know they are going to fit.  So like shoes I know my size and it's pretty standard.  Shirts from CT are the same.  

I go to the grocery store every Sunday with my daughter, it's like a thing we do together and then my wife gets a break.  Plus I like to cook, so i can walk around and get ideas and see what looks good. 

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For someone not in a Wegman's region, what is so wonderful about it ?

It just has a huge selection.  You know how most grocery stores have a meat counter and a lunchmeat/cheese counter?  Wegmans has a butcher counter (with much better cuts than other grocery stores), fish counter, shellfish counter, sushi counter, a counter where all of that stuff is in prepackaged meals, the lunchmeat/cheese counter, a gourmet cheese counter, a counter where they sell prepackaged and prepared vegetables, a deli, a pizza shop, a dessert counter, a fresh bread and pastries counter, a coffee shop, a to-go foods counter, the produce area is huge, and instead of having one wine and beer aisle, they have two separate huge sections for wine and beer.  My Wegmans has a legit bar in it.  

Plus, the people are better.  The guys behind the butcher counter are butchers, not just order-takers there to wrap up your order.  These guys will cut stuff for you custom (yes, I've asked for a 4" tomahawk ribeye before), they will french a rack of lamb for you, they know what they are doing.  Same with the rest of the people.  

13 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Costco, Door to Door organics, Green Chef, Whole Foods.  Everything online/delivery.  Haven't been to the grocery store in probably 7-8 months.  

Buy all our clothes from Amazon, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Nike.  Everything online.  

All electronics online.  

Our dogs are on a raw meat diet from Darwin's delivery service.  

All toiletries from Amazon.

Lazy millennials :headbang:  

Nike. NIKE?!!!!!

I'm DEFO gonna' have to kick your lame ass, AGAIN, in the SB now just to uphold the Adidas standards I and any Liverpudlian worth his salt lives by!

Hail. 

Groceries:  Harris Teeter, Wegmans

Clothing:    I usually go to the Leesburg outlets when there are sales that happen, but if not, I usually just                      shop online on the store websites.

Electronics:  I still will go to the Apple store, or the T-Mobile store to scout what I want, and I either buy it at                      the store, or I just buy it online.  Same with TV's.  I go to Best Buy to look at TV's I'm                                    interested in, and end up purchasing online after I write down what I'm interested in.

Restaurants:  This one is more interesting.  I now order take out more than I actually sit down to eat at                              restaurants.  This one should be its own topic I feel like.  Restaurants like Olive Garden,                              IHOP, etc are experiencing big downturns in sit down business, because people feel like                              eating at home, and watching Netflix.

Amazon, Safeway, Giant, Costco (plus in Austin where I want to live there is the gas station attached), clothes and shoes in a store, because I need an arch. I have tried buying shoes online but always end up returning them. 

I buy my granddaughter things from Amazon because free shipping, and if an occasion birthday I can get it wrapped for what it would cost me to ship separately.

Sometimes Wegmans. 

Flannel shirts from Pendleton. 

We do need a take out thread. I hardly ever eat out by myself.

I don't thrift for clothes like I used to because I have too much now (my shirt rack in my closet is bending), and typically grocery shop at walmart or foodlion. 

I still like going to the grocery store, especially for meat because I look for certain things (like number of porkchops not just the weight). 

I go back and forth between Tiger Direct and Amazon for IT equipment, I don't get any of that stuff at places like best buy (just better prices on exactly what I need, can be more specific in my searches).

A lot on amazon, Tommy Bahama for a lot of my clothes.  Harris Teeter for groceries.  Sometimes Costco, Bj's, Sams club.  I'm one of the few anti-Wegmans.  To crowded, the meat counter is nice, but the meat is expensive for what you get.  I prefer Harris Teeter.  If I want a really good steak I order from Lobel's or Pat LaFrieda's. My wife likes Macy's.  Oh and I pray I never have to set foot in a Walmart.  I hate that store. 

Archived