Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - Gruden, back to calling plays, draws on lifetime of experience

TSO

okay, so we know the real final was 22-17, that last TD was bull****.  And in a lot of instances like this I find I think the coaching staff was as much responsible as anything because even if the team didn't execute I feel like they were being asked to execute stupid plays a lot of times.  Well, not this time

Overall I think Gruden called a fine game.  But when Ryan Grant and Chris Thompson are you most successful offensive players it's going to be hard to win.  Pryor had some lousy plays but he also had some good ones.  But Crowder and Reed played stupid IMO and didn't help the team at all with the limited stuff they did.  And Kirk was bad.  two real turnovers, consistently high throws.

He bet on himself this offseason, and it looks to be a stupid bet.  Even if he deserves to be paid like a franchise player he doesn't deserve a record breaking or as I've heard he wanted a percentage contract

8 minutes ago, Alexa said:

It is a 16 game season, not a one game season. I think we all need to remember that.

If today is any indicator - we have a great possibility to start the season off 0-4.  At that point, our chances for a successful season are not great.  But I'm sure we'll play just well enough to knock ourselves out of the top 10 picks in the draft.

17 minutes ago, carex said:

okay, so we know the real final was 22-17, that last TD was bull****.  And in a lot of instances like this I find I think the coaching staff was as much responsible as anything because even if the team didn't execute I feel like they were being asked to execute stupid plays a lot of times

Overall I think Gruden called a fine game.  But when Ryan Grant and Chris Thompson are you most successful offensive players it's going to be hard to win.  Pryor had some lousy plays but he also had some good ones.  But Crowder and Reed played stupid IMO and didn't help the team at all with the limited stuff they did.  And Kirk was bad.  two real turnovers, consistently high throws.

He bet on himself this offseason, and it looks to be a stupid bet.  Even if he deserves to be paid like a franchise player he doesn't deserve a record breaking or as I've heard he wanted a percentage contract

That RZ pick was absolutely horrible. If that throw is even remotely close to Crowder, we have a TD and a late lead.

Imo he's doing fine with the design of the offense--the playcalling was fine and guys were open. Kirk and Pryor sucked, Reed looks tentative and less than 100%. We are under-utilizing Crowder. We are making chicken **** out of chicken **** in the running game. 

Now his job getting the whole team ready as HC...

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If we get whooped by the Rams like they're doing to the Colts, I think I'm going to hate Gruden.

Their defense is better than ours. Goff and Gurley will make us look stupid, and McVay will make Gruden look stupid. I'm not looking forward to our seemingly annual Rams game. 

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

McVays Rams offense is putting up more points than 1/2 a season of the Jeff Fisher Rams offense (with a QB who is supposed to be a bust) and we're here talking about Gruden being a top NFL offensive play caller after Cousins looked like 2014 Giants game Cousins. :headbang:

I remember last year when I would complain about our lack of a running identity/attack under Gruden and I would quickly be scolded and reminded that "McVay calls the plays".  I would then retort that "Jay is still the HC, if he wants more running plays from McVay he will get them".  At that point in the conversation I would usually be called an idiot.

Today we had 13 carries from our RBs.

Gurley had 19 carries by himself in LA.

I take no joy from this...

7 hours ago, Alexa said:

It is a 16 game season, not a one game season. I think we all need to remember that.

How many more games in 2016 did we need to win to make the playoffs? I think we all also need to remember that Week 1 losses count just as much against you as those in Week 18.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I remember last year when I would complain about our lack of a running identity/attack under Gruden and I would quickly be scolded and reminded that "McVay calls the plays".  I would then retort that "Jay is still the HC, if he wants more running plays from McVay he will get them".  At that point in the conversation I would usually be called an idiot.

Today we had 13 carries from our RBs.

Gurley had 19 carries by himself in LA.

I take no joy from this...

O come on. Rams D played insane. Rams had no reason to go pass heavy with there young QB. They could just controle the game. We played behind from the start. 

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imo he's doing fine with the design of the offense--the playcalling was fine and guys were open. Kirk and Pryor sucked, Reed looks tentative and less than 100%. We are under-utilizing Crowder. We are making chicken **** out of chicken **** in the running game. 

Now his job getting the whole team ready as HC...

+1 For this. 

Gruden started the game agressive with a couples of deep shots and vertical routes. They where open but struggle to connect. Right game plan, bad execution. 

He then shifted to the more high % passing game. Like the WR screen pass. Try to Kirk and O in better ritme. That kinda worked. 

And when we needed the yards but our Oline strugled we had a lot of quick and medium routes that developt quickly. 

So imo Jay called the right game. Shifted his plan when the team struggled. Only the overal execution was just terrible. To many skill players looked off and did not show up. Thats also a HC job. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Gruden definately not the problem yesterday. But piss poor execution was.

Missed targets, missed tackles and sans, missed interceptions... list is long.

There have been times in football past where the HC got the blame for poor execution, for poor tackling, for players being on different pages, for the team simply not being ready for the game.  Let's face it, Gruden is cruising for Norv Turner territory, when the team plays well it wins and when it plays poorly it loses, and it doesn't matter who it plays, when it plays or where it plays. 

15 hours ago, Alexa said:

Every game counts for a team like us.  We gave no margin for error, as we saw last year.  We're not the Patriots that are locked in for 12+ wins and can afford laying a week 1 egg.

Gruden as playcaller did fine.  Gruden as head coach and motivator, not so much.  

I had no real issue with the plays he called.  

The run game wasnt gonna work and he figured that out quick.  

He was probably pulling his hair out at all the missed opportunities.  Pryor's drops alone woulda done it cuz the plays worked.  The redzone pick was a good call as well.  They just didnt execute well designed plays.  Gruden called a good overall game, IMO.

Did anyone see who called the timeout at the end of the first half when we had them at third and long? The person that called that timeout deserves a lot of blame for the field goal that gave them the lead at the end of the half. That was a stupid penalty and the argument of getting the ball back with some time is invalid. Gruden continues to show he is a below average head coach and an average OC. I wonder if Cousins realizes Gruden is outmatched and that is why he wants to leave so badly? 

While I agree the timeout call was unorthodox and questionable, I am open to a debate about why we have largely never tried to call timeouts effectively at the ends of the first half to try to eek out another possession. It was a very aggressive thing to try but the series may well have played out the way it did if we didn't call it.

Philly had 3 timeouts and over a minute, they didn't need need us to call one for them to convert. We rolled the dice - put his faith in Manusky, and lost.  Does anyone remember, did we go aggressive on D after that, or drop 8 prevent zone as per usual? If you are going to be aggressive and call a timeout there, you have to stick to being aggressive and throw the sink at Carson. At that point you are trying to dictate the game, you cannot coach scared for you already bet you are going to succeed.  I cannot remember but would wager rush 4 zone.

I am concerned with Jay reloading up his plate after failing so miserably doing the same a few years ago. 

Archived