Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Thread

skinny21

After discovering I'm not the only FF nerd, thought we could maybe use a thread on it.  

For the moment, I'm just gonna mention some of my favorite writers/books/series.  

Recently - Steven Erickson, Joe Abercrombie, Miles Cameron, KJ Parker, Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, GRRM, Sanderson, J.V. Jones.  

From a ways back - Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, David Eddings... I'll think about this before I add more.  

6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I see you mentioned Brent Weeks. I've enjoyed all of his work. The Lightbringer series is very good. 

It's not very... deep, I'd say, but it's pretty solid writing, and damn if ain't entertaining.  Pretty sure that's the only stuff I've read from him.  

Just now, skinny21 said:

It's not very... deep, I'd say, but it's pretty solid writing, and damn if ain't entertaining.  Pretty sure that's the only stuff I've read from him.  

How far into it have you read? The last book in it should be the last, I've read the previous four. There is a lot of misdirection and plot twists that occur in the later books. 

12 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

How far into it have you read? The last book in it should be the last, I've read the previous four. There is a lot of misdirection and plot twists that occur in the later books. 

Ah, my bad... looked it up and I've read the first one only I believe.  Was thinking of he Night Angel Trilogy.  

Edit:  the scene in the Hole (from the Night Angel books) was just plain nuts.  Gripping series for sure.  

5 hours ago, Destino said:

You didn't mention Robin Hobb.  Unacceptable. 

I could not get into the first book of the assassin books

I love assassin tales, and it always gets recommended. Made it through the first book, but it felt like work.

Recently finished Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death. Great book, graphic in parts, but a quick read. I read somewhere that HBO is doing a show on it

8 hours ago, Destino said:

You didn't mention Robin Hobb.  Unacceptable. 

You sure about that? ?

There are a bunch I've left off though, including some of my favorites I bet.  Just wanted to get the ball rolling, not necessarily make a 'best of' list.  

@Riggo-toniI've been meaning to get to get to Mr. Hiller's books... (I see you @Burgold!)

Good list.  My personal favorite is Patrick Rothfuss - some of his writing is just heartbreakingly beautiful.  

I'm currently reading NK Jemisin's "The Obelisk Gate"  - sequel to "The Fifth Season."  It's pretty great.  I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of her books.

Huh. Must be a sign... Just decided, literally last night, to get into science fiction for a bit. It'll be the first time since that horse**** Michael Crichton global warming novel destroyed part of my childhood way back when. I'm starting it off with Peter Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. I'm not sure how popular it is or how likely anyone here will have heard of it, but doing some research it had much of what I was looking for (space opera, exploration, different species, strife, struggle and the American Way) and rave reviews for it. We shall see. 

PS I still strongly believe that Steven Erikson's Malazan series is the greatest fantasy series of all time. By far. It's huge and complicated and it doesn't hold your hand at all so not everyone will be able to make it but it's at least a must attempt for everyone, and especially for those tired of the whole Nordic setting that the fantasy genre drowns in, for whatever reason. 

46 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Huh. Must be a sign... Just decided, literally last night, to get into science fiction for a bit. It'll be the first time since that horse**** Michael Crichton global warming novel destroyed part of my childhood way back when. I'm starting it off with Peter Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. I'm not sure how popular it is or how likely anyone here will have heard of it, but doing some research it had much of what I was looking for (space opera, exploration, different species, strife, struggle and the American Way) and rave reviews for it. We shall see. 

Peter Hamilton badly needs a word limit imposed on him but I enjoyed Pandoras Star and Judah's Unchained.  I have the Night Dawn Trilogy on my iPad but haven't gotten to it yet.  

Let me add Brandon Sanderson. Really enjoyed his YA Steelheart. Charles DeLint will always be a favorite. Also, a pair of humorists Pratchett and Douglas Adams. 

Oh, and that Hiller guy someone mentioned earlier is someone to watch out for too (shameless, but sincere)

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

Good list.  My personal favorite is Patrick Rothfuss - some of his writing is just heartbreakingly beautiful.  

I'm currently reading NK Jemisin's "The Obelisk Gate"  - sequel to "The Fifth Season."  It's pretty great.  I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of her books.

I've only "read" Rothfuss using audiobooks. Really enjoyed him. 

3 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

51Hg+6Y8eiL.jpg

Our Borges. It is s a crime that American society has Ted Chiang paying his bills as a technical writer instead of mining more short story gems like The Lifecycle of Software Objects.

One of the sad truths about writing. Even most best sellers must keep their day jobs. 

Highly Recommend Matthew Stover's Caine Series

That's my hand's down favorite character in all of fantasy.

Right now I'm reading The Shadow of What was Lost by James Islington which is a new epic fantasy in the vein of The Wheel of Time. Pretty good so far.

I love the Dresden files, but they started to feel a bit repetitive after 10 or so...

Some more favorites:  The Bas-Lag series by China Mieville.  What amazing world-building.  I also really like the Warded Man series by Peter Brett - a great character with super action and intensity.  Also the Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch - more of a swashbuckling funny/adventurous type...  

Tons of great stuff out there.  Also, I need to read more from that Halo of Mushrooms guy.  That was a good read...  

3 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

51Hg+6Y8eiL.jpg

Our Borges. It is s a crime that American society has Ted Chiang paying his bills as a technical writer instead of mining more short story gems like The Lifecycle of Software Objects.

His short story "story of your life" was adapted into a movie called Arrival, which was excellent. Probably received a nice check for that 

my contribution to this thread: Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Fantastic.

Archived