Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Thread

skinny21

On 1/5/2018 at 10:17 PM, Bang said:

Y'all might yell at me since it's a comic, but this is pure sci-fi and the absolute best "superhuman" story ever. 
it's by Alan Moore, and it was released in the early 80s in a small run by Eclipse comics, then it disappeared after todd McFarlane bought the rights and sat on it forever. Marvel got rights to it and released it in 3 graphic novels, which must all be read in order.
If this thread is for outstanding sci-fi recommendations, this absolutely is a must.
51yGXnCbYtL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can get it on Amazon.

~Bang

13 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

On book 3 now. Not sure how I missed this before you mentioned it.

Props.

my "hold" on this book just came through at the DC library... (Fairfax County had zero copies in their whole system)

my eldest daughter is becoming a big big big Moore fan :) 

How old is she? It's definitely adult. Plus book 2 had a few scenes that even made me cringe. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I just finished Neverwhere.  Neil Gaiman must be a seriously weird guy to come up with these wild perspectives on things.  I'm a fan.

He's awesome. Big Twitter user too, if that's your thing. His wife is pretty cool too.. definitely they were made for each other. 

Have you read Good Omens? It's being made in to a 6 part tv series. It's next on my list (after Altered Carbon and soon as I am done with Miracleman).

Neil Gaiman is excellent. Since i recommended a comic before, i would be remiss if i did not also recommend his "The Sandman" series. 

It is much closer to horror than sci-fi, and it is incredible. His entire run is one self contained tale, not a meandering set of events like a comic series usually is.

The Sandman is incredibly imaginative, and every detail, no matter how small it may be, comes back around.

There are something like 10 o0r 12 full trade paperbacks that encompass his story..  and it's worth it.

My favorite run is when Lucifer decides he's had enough and closes Hell. Casts out the damned, and locks it up, then give the key to the Sandman and then heads for the beach in Australia. The damned have nowhere to go, so they start coming back.. and each pantheon of gods sends their emissaries to the Dreaming to make their case for why they should control Hell. Ridiculously good read.

The first series is how they manage to shoehorn this new Sandman into the DC Universe, so there is a little bit of crossover, but not much..    the story of Dr. Destiny,, the old Justice League villain who could control dreams with a gemstone, is friggin' horrifying.... as is the "Cereal Convention"...

~Bang

Finish "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K Dick. Kinda wanted Rick to go after Rachael one last time, but the question of what will happen if Androids did eventually become nearly indistinguishable from humans was intriguing, maybe even inevitable.

I didn't know he wrote A Scanner Darkly, I think I might read that next.

Archived