Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Thread

skinny21

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

City of Stairs was just the right amount of weird and the setting was great, sort of a post standard fantasy.  It was set after the big bad was defeated and oppressed were now in charge.  

I finished the sequel a bout a week ago. I liked it as much if not better.

Not sure where to put it and just wanted to share. I'm a week away from being guest of honor at a science fiction/fantasy con in Roanoake.  It's a small Con, but I'm still pretty geeked up and shocked that I was their choice. My guess is that some people really liked what I did as a panelist at Mars Con and got into my books. Anyway, it's pretty wild. Hopefully, it's a great event. I haven't ever done the GOH thing before.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished City of Miracles by Robert Bennett yesterday. Really satisfying conclusion to the series. @Destino and I chatted about this series a bit earlier. This one stars Sigrud, but the previous protagonists do make cameos. He wraps up the divinity issue in a pretty cool way.

For more, but no spoilers, here's my full review on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2188290424?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

On 11/14/2017 at 11:34 PM, StillUnknown said:

Oathbringer, the 3rd book in the Stormlight Archive was released today

gonna jump into that right after i wrap up Half A King

Totally forgot about this release date.  Thanks for mentioning it.  1248 glorious pages!  I'm going to be losing sleep for a couple weeks.    

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

Finished City of Miracles by Robert Bennett yesterday. Really satisfying conclusion to the series. @Destino and I chatted about this series a bit earlier. This one stars Sigrud, but the previous protagonists do make cameos. He wraps up the divinity issue in a pretty cool way.

For more, but no spoilers, here's my full review on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31522139-city-of-miracles

That's great to hear.  Oathbringer is jumping to the front of the line, but City of Miracles won't be too far behind.  Still have to read The Core (demon cycle 5) too. 

Also, the link you posted doesn't take me to your review. 

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

That's great to hear.  Oathbringer is jumping to the front of the line, but City of Miracles won't be too far behind.  Still have to read The Core (demon cycle 5) too. 

Also, the link you posted doesn't take me to your review. 

I really liked Sanderson's Steelheart series. Haven't read any of the Oathbringers.

Link is fixed to the Goodreads review.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Oathbringer is the 3rd of his planned 10 book series, The Stormlight Archive

The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance preceded it.

Gotcha. I try to avoid series that aren't completed especially if they are good though I've been more lax on that recently.

Was actually working on a book myself, over the summer. Came to me in a dream (I'm bipolar so occasionally even with meds my dreams get pretty real)

Just from the dream alone, i got the subject matter, setting, ending sequence, and a setup for book 2. Alway been a huge fan of Stephen King, since I was a kid, so some of the inspiration came from that.

Lot of people liked the premise, but as i started watching movies and commercials, i started realizing that I was seeing a lot of what was either already in, or what was gonna be in the book, then i saw some weird novie, where i kid not, part of the exact same sequence that i was to write, happened. Never saw that movie before. So i basically just dropped everything :ols:

I'd rather put something out there unique and fail rather than something successful yet the same as everyone else.

Anyways, been looking for some new stuff on deep space/interdimensional science fiction

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

i'm usually the same way.  Sanderson is one of the few I trust to complete a series of that scope

While writing another five series at the same time.  He's a machine (or the face for a team of writers). 

I just bought the ebook, and noticed it's 103mb.  That's five times the size of Way of a Kings, despite being a shorter book.  Now I'm curious as to why.  

2 hours ago, Destino said:

While writing another five series at the same time.  He's a machine (or the face for a team of writers). 

I just bought the ebook, and noticed it's 103mb.  That's five times the size of Way of a Kings, despite being a shorter book.  Now I'm curious as to why.  

There are more sketches and drawings. The maps appear more detailed. Maybe those images are pushing the file size

So, I've put up part one and two of my essay describing my experience as guest of honor at a comic con up on Goodreads. Probably tomorrow I'll put up the last bit. I am not sure if it is indulgent to post that here (yeah, I know... since when has that stopped me). If there's interest let me know and I'll post the links.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Upon looking this thread over, i grabbed the first of the Warded Man series from the library.

OK, i guess, if not a little hokey. Does it get better in the next books?

~Bang

I liked the second book, The Desert Spear, more than the first one because the desert tribes are much more interesting in my opinion.  Ruthlessly violent and segregated, but not without their own values or virtues.  It's always a little hokey though.  If you want something with a little more edge to it, try The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. 

33 minutes ago, Bang said:

thanks,, i put a hold on the second one in our library system. I did like the desert city,  definitely the most interesting. And if it fills in some backstory for our hero there, that'd be nice.

~Bang

It fills in the back story, and introduces the desert folks fully.  They have their own major characters.

For a completely different take on the fantasy genre, check out "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell."

It is a slow moving, character driven, period piece set in England in the early 1800s.  Like a mash-up of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, CS Lewis and a dash of Tolkien.  Really different and really worth the effort. 

Archived