Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Thread

skinny21

Finished Oathbringer, loved it.  Burned through it in about a week as things slowed down around Christmas.  I feel like I need to read it again and take notes.  There's a story on the surface, but with Sanderson there's always more going on and wider implications.  It's fun to try to figure it out and theorize before it's revealed.

I wonder how long it will be before he ever tells us what Witt/Hoid is up to? 

On 11/22/2017 at 2:30 PM, Predicto said:

For a completely different take on the fantasy genre, check out "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell."

It is a slow moving, character driven, period piece set in England in the early 1800s.  Like a mash-up of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, CS Lewis and a dash of Tolkien.  Really different and really worth the effort. 

Have you seen the miniseries..?   i really liked that, as well (I haven't read the book, but my much better read wife liked both immensely)

I remember when i used to read... back in the days before grad school and the internet.     Now it takes me FOREVER to read almost anything.   I read the Routhfus and Dragon Tattoo books fairly quickly, but most books sit on my nightstand for months, until i run against the renewals limit at the library, and my wife asks me if i want to keep pretending to read that book, or choose a new book to pretend to read?

Right now i have the first "Wheel of Time" book sitting on my nightstand.  I read about 50 pages over the last half of 2016 before it got recalled before Christmas, but i got it back again.  I think I've read about 100 pages in the last week or so... we'll see where this leads?

10 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Right now i have the first "Wheel of Time" book sitting on my nightstand.  I read about 50 pages over the last half of 2016 before it got recalled before Christmas, but i got it back again.  I think I've read about 100 pages in the last week or so... we'll see where this leads?

Wheel of Time starts out great and sags in the middle before resolving pretty well. Sanderson took it over after Jordan's death.

13 hours ago, Destino said:

Finished Oathbringer, loved it.  Burned through it in about a week as things slowed down around Christmas.  I feel like I need to read it again and take notes.  There's a story on the surface, but with Sanderson there's always more going on and wider implications.  It's fun to try to figure it out and theorize before it's revealed.

I wonder how long it will be before he ever tells us what Witt/Hoid is up to? 

I loved it too. I've been contemplating reading it over again as well. I believe it is one of his best work yet. It has encouraged me to read Warbreaker now. 

3 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I read the the first trilogy and The Alloy of Law. Shadows of Self is like third on my queue of books to read. 

Read Secret History as well.   

The reason I asked was because Hoid/Wit is the big mystery and wanted to know if you were aware he was in Mistborn.  I didn't realize it at first.  

Spoiler

Not only is he in it, Sanderson has confirmed that he got his hands on Lerasium (the little beads that make a person mistborn)  The reason I bring this up is that whenever you come a cross a scene with him in it, consider that he might have allomancy and that he might be using it.   

In Oathbringer he gets his hands on a Cryptic at the end.  So is he just world hopping in order to get his hands on the powers that reside there?

I mention this because trying to figure out what Wit is up to is fun. 

So i read the second of the "Warded Man" and while better than the first, still left me sort of "meh".

One thing i don't need is to know this former dungeon-master / author's sexual fantasies, and i felt like i read a few of them.

Anyway, while deciding whether to read the third, i picked up "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits" by David Wong.

I'm not too far into it, but so far a guy with surgically implanted steel jaws tried to eat the main character, and then a guy who can blast electricity through his fingers tried to lobotomize her.

I'm on page 41 :D

I like it,, weird and funny and exciting,, so far. 
Future,, but not too far.

~Bang

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

Read Secret History as well.   

The reason I asked was because Hoid/Wit is the big mystery and wanted to know if you were aware he was in Mistborn.  I didn't realize it at first.  

Reveal hidden contents

Not only is he in it, Sanderson has confirmed that he got his hands on Lerasium (the little beads that make a person mistborn)  The reason I bring this up is that whenever you come a cross a scene with him in it, consider that he might have allomancy and that he might be using it.   

In Oathbringer he gets his hands on a Cryptic at the end.  So is he just world hopping in order to get his hands on the powers that reside there?

I mention this because trying to figure out what Wit is up to is fun. 

I haven't read Secret History yet, my coworker has it and I may borrow it from him again. I borrowed it previously to read Edgedancer. 

It was my coworker that told me he is in Mistborn. Like you, I had no idea. Apparently he's also in Warbreaker too. I really enjoyed his chapters in the first three books of Stormlight. 

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

Anyway, while deciding whether to read the third, i picked up "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits" by David Wong.

~Bang

Isn't David Wong the author who wrote "John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders"? I loved those two, dude is hilarious. Is this latest one a continuation of that story or completely different characters and plot? 

6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

3? I was aware of a second one that appears in Oathbringer, who is the other? 

Well, three as of the latest book.  I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it.

For those who don't mind the spoilers, or have already read it.

Spoiler

Vasher= Zahel  Nightblood: the talking sword. Vivenna = Azure

50 minutes ago, Bang said:

So i read the second of the "Warded Man" and while better than the first, still left me sort of "meh".

One thing i don't need is to know this former dungeon-master / author's sexual fantasies, and i felt like i read a few of them.

I'm not too far into it, but so far a guy with surgically implanted steel jaws tried to eat the main character, and then a guy who can blast electricity through his fingers tried to lobotomize her.

I'm on page 41 :D

I like it,, weird and funny and exciting,, so far. 
Future,, but not too far.

~Bang

Preach Bang.  I wish writers would stop putting bad sex scenes in their books.  I will never forgive Dan Simmons for describing sex as a cat lapping up milk.  That's just plain horrible. 

David Wong is a crazy person.  A very funny crazy person if you like his comedy (which I do). 

I also picked up a book I'm hoping will be funny.  Kings of the Wyld.  The books that seeks to answer the question “What if mercenaries were the rock stars in a fantasy world?” It's about some old mercs that aren't stars anymore getting the band back together.  So far, it's pretty funny. 

I'm working on Oathbringer. Read about half of it and realized I missed too much and decided to start over. I miss a lot because my mind races too much.

I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell last year. I read the whole thing, but boy was it a chore for me. I put it down in the middle for a month and came back to it. I was told the end was worth reading the book, but it just didn't pay off for me. I had a couple of my friends read it and both of them are avid readers and gave up before hitting 200 pages. It seems to be a book that you either love it or hate it. Many people love it. Supposedly Clarke is working on another one. At least I think I read that a couple of months ago.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Preach Bang.  I wish writers would stop putting bad sex scenes in their books.  I will never forgive Dan Simmons for describing sex as a cat lapping up milk.  That's just plain horrible. 

Reminds me of Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks.  (although I thought that whole book was a bit of a mess)

3 hours ago, Destino said:

So far, I've avoided writing any sex scenes in my published novels or short stories. One of the funniest bits of advice I was given though was when writing a sword fight, tell it as if it is a sex scene. It actually works pretty well.

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Reminds me of Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks.  (although I thought that whole book was a bit of a mess)

Man I wish you hadn't said that.  I've started that book twice and stopped to read others.  I think it just fell a few more spots down my reading list.  :ols: 

Y'all might yell at me since it's a comic, but this is pure sci-fi and the absolute best "superhuman" story ever. 
it's by Alan Moore, and it was released in the early 80s in a small run by Eclipse comics, then it disappeared after todd McFarlane bought the rights and sat on it forever. Marvel got rights to it and released it in 3 graphic novels, which must all be read in order.
If this thread is for outstanding sci-fi recommendations, this absolutely is a must.
51yGXnCbYtL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can get it on Amazon.

~Bang

I find there's plenty of crossover between comics and sf/f readers. Personally, I think if it's good it's good. We read these types of books for escape, for intellectual exploration, for morality plays, but mainly we read 'em just for fun. In my book, no judgment or literary snobbery ought to be allowed. Enjoy what you enjoy guilt free.

Besides which, some of our best writers needed a paycheck and even though for much of their existence comics paid awfully... they paid. A dirty secret of the publishing industry is that even most best sellers have to keep their day job.

Finished Kings of the Wyld and I definitely recommend this to anyone that's read enough fantasy to enjoy a humorous take on it.  Probably best for readers over 30 who also appreciate slapstick style humor.  Might help if you're familiar with old rock bands too, though I'm not certain it's required.  I just found myself picturing many of the characters as aging rockers.

The Wizard Moog steals the show imo.  

• 3 weeks later...

Finished David Wong's "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits"..  outstanding,,terrific near future sci fi.. probably very close to accurate in some regards, especially this "blink" thing,,, an internet cam site that seemingly everyone on planet earth is hooked into with cameras on every garment, jewelry,,   pretty much anything that happens anywhere on earth is on someone's camera and streamed on this Blink site that drives how much of the world behaves... Augmented humans, super terrorism, a reluctant heiress and her cat with a skin condition,  technological ecstasy in a lawless city built by gangsters to rival Las Vegas.

Tight story, fast paced, lots of action, and extremely funny. Had me laughing out loud more than once.

Liked it so much i've decided to read all of Wong's books, stopped into the library and picked up "John Dies at the End".. and 2 chapters in it's terrific. 

~Bang

On 1/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Destino said:

Man I wish you hadn't said that.  I've started that book twice and stopped to read others.  I think it just fell a few more spots down my reading list.  :ols: 

I finished Blood Mirror. Liked he previous books in that series but felt Blood Mirror was a big mistake. Especially since Weeks seems to be doing only two things in regards to his plots: telegraphing plot twists from like two books away, while actually expecting the reader to be shocked, and retconning his own his entire first book.  

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Finished David Wong's "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits"..  outstanding,,terrific near future sci fi.. probably very close to accurate in some regards, especially this "blink" thing,,, an internet cam site that seemingly everyone on planet earth is hooked into with cameras on every garment, jewelry,,   pretty much anything that happens anywhere on earth is on someone's camera and streamed on this Blink site that drives how much of the world behaves... Augmented humans, super terrorism, a reluctant heiress and her cat with a skin condition,  technological ecstasy in a lawless city built by gangsters to rival Las Vegas.

Tight story, fast paced, lots of action, and extremely funny. Had me laughing out loud more than once.

Liked it so much i've decided to read all of Wong's books, stopped into the library and picked up "John Dies at the End".. and 2 chapters in it's terrific. 

~Bang

I’ve read the first two Wong books, John dies at the end and This book is full of spiders, they are really hilarious and just fun to read. I’m about to start the third one in that series called “What the hell did I just read”

On 1/5/2018 at 7:17 PM, Bang said:

Y'all might yell at me since it's a comic, but this is pure sci-fi and the absolute best "superhuman" story ever. 
it's by Alan Moore, and it was released in the early 80s in a small run by Eclipse comics, then it disappeared after todd McFarlane bought the rights and sat on it forever. Marvel got rights to it and released it in 3 graphic novels, which must all be read in order.
If this thread is for outstanding sci-fi recommendations, this absolutely is a must.
51yGXnCbYtL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can get it on Amazon.

~Bang

On book 3 now. Not sure how I missed this before you mentioned it.

Props.

Archived