Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

On 5/26/2017 at 6:59 PM, Vanguard said:

I just saw a comment on You Tube that some people think Philadelphia has a better group by comparison.  I don't think so.  What do you think?

Philadelphia I think has a better quarterback but not a better receiving core.  I think the NFC east as a whole got better after this past off-season, and I think we have our work cut out for us.  We are going to have to scrape as usual to win division games.

Seriously, my feeling is we will see.  I refuse to anoint Doctson a #1 or #2 positional grade until he stays on the field. 

If things "click", this could be exciting, but then again Garcon and Jackson were exciting.  Can they capture what Garcon and Jackson did - we will see.  I am hopeful.

:229:The Rook

22 hours ago, VeroViper said:

I think it all hinges on Doctson. If he can produce at a high level we have an excellent WR group. If not probably just average with the loss of Jackson & Garcon. I think we know we're getting a good to very good receiver in Pryor.

excellent with Doctson producing and just  average with out? really? I see it as excellent to really good

3 minutes ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

Rams fans are glad Quick is gone.  He's known for having a drops problem.

Meh, if he was here last year, he'd be our 6th leading receiver, way far ahead of every WR below Crowder and right there with Vernon Davis.  He's going to fill important buffer between proven receivers and guys who really haven't proven anything yet.

5 minutes ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

Rams fans are glad Quick is gone.  He's known for having a drops problem.

You know I've heard this on the board a few months ago but out of 77 targets he's only had one drop http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=25743

Not that I'm looking for quick to be the savior but when the stats are that far off from a claim I have to wonder if sour grapes are involved.

54 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Jets fans were glad when Santana Moss was gone. 

Wasn't he injured his whole rookie season? Rams fans have had 4 seasons to watch Quick not reach his potential. But in all fairness and support of your point, they have had terrible QBs and unimaginative offenses the entire time he was there. Maybe his flashes last year were signs of life. I hope so. 

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wasn't he injured his whole rookie season? Rams fans have had 4 seasons to watch Quick not reach his potential. But in all fairness and support of your point, they have had terrible QBs and unimaginative offenses the entire time he was there. Maybe his flashes last year were signs of life. I hope so. 

Jets fans had 4 seasons to watch Santana Moss, too lol...and after 4 years reached the conclusion that his nickname should be "Sideline Santana" since he would run out of bounds if a defender was within 5 yards of him, was only good for fly routes, and was basically a 1st round bust.

Our receiving corps will be the best in the league by the end of the year.  Doctson = Monk, Pryor = Sanders, and Crowder = Clark.  Robert Davis will become a stud, a WR with the blocking of a TE.  Add in Reed, Davis (who can still catch), and sleeper Sprinkle, plus Perine will surprise out of the backfield.  We will move the ball in the air.

Big  ???????

Pryor - top end, see TO, Ocho Cinco, Boldin, 95-100-1500-15,  low end 70-1100-8.

Doctson top end 70-1100-5 , low end  nothing, zilch.

Crowder top end 90-1200-10, low end 65-800-4

Quick top end 50-800-4, low end 35-450-2

TEs combined top end 160-1600-15 low end 120-1200-8

21 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think our red zone efficiency will be...

This is what will make or break the group. There are many questions, but in the end almost every team can move the chains between the 20's.  Adding size should help, since we usually always trotted off our short stud WRs in goal to go over the years, notably Moss, DJax, even Garcon at times.

Cousins needs to add the end zone fade to his arsenal with this tall group at his disposal.

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Cousins needs to add the end zone fade to his arsenal with this tall group at his disposal.

Cousins throws an awful fade pass. Just absolutely awful. McVay called the fade at the worst possible times too.

First down, call a run, see it covered, with Pryor or Doc in single outside, check into it and throw it where only they can grab it.

We used it like an actual play, hoping for the right coverage and cousins couldn't put the ball in the right spot anyway.

Now here come the fans blaming the actual play and the size of our receivers, ignoring that every team uses it all over the field with WRs and RBs of all sizes.

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cousins throws an awful fade pass. Just absolutely awful. McVay called the fade at the worst possible times too.

First down, call a run, see it covered, with Pryor or Doc in single outside, check into it and throw it where only they can grab it.

We used it like an actual play, hoping for the right coverage and cousins couldn't put the ball in the right spot anyway.

Now here come the fans blaming the actual play and the size of our receivers, ignoring that every team uses it all over the field with WRs and RBs of all sizes.

I don't know, I don't think the fades in 2015 were that bad. The problem is that we kept calling them to the wrong receivers. You don't run fades to guys like Jackson or Crowder. Reed, maybe Garcon(but even he's kinda small), that's it.

Now we've got some legit behemoths who are not only big but can get up there and grab it.

My problem with the fade though is that its just a low % play all around and you bail the D out by basically letting them off the hook for defending the rest of the end zone.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know, I don't think the fades in 2015 were that bad. The problem is that we kept calling them to the wrong receivers. You don't run fades to guys like Jackson or Crowder. Reed, maybe Garcon(but even he's kinda small), that's it.

Now we've got some legit behemoths who are not only big but can get up there and grab it.

My problem with the fade though is that its just a low % play all around and you bail the D out by basically letting them off the hook for defending the rest of the end zone.

A high pass isnt a fade. A fade requires the WR to box out a defender and leave a small window at the sideline. Any receiver who can run a route is a good target. Cousins just cant hit that window.

You're describing a jump ball.

http://smartfootball.com/passing/running-and-throwing-the-fade-route-against-press-coverage#sthash.ZsN7wPB8.dpbs

If Brian Quick drops 50% of his passes; he is still an upgrade over Grant.

The agenda driven media is using the Garcon/DJax exodus as the biggest reason we will fail this year.....give me a break...Our WR core is better and deeper....it is more versatile.....I full expect us to be a top 10 red zone team.

Cousins throws a Corner route fine. But when you're inside the 10, it's a much different pass, and it's either a jump ball, or you need to go back shoulder with it. We have not had the receivers for the jump ball (which is what I normally see from us), and I've never really seen us try the back shoulder throw there. So the big guys will help in that dept.

A bit OT but my favorite RZ play, inside the 5, if we insist on showing heavy. Show jumbo heavy presnap, but then motion Reed out wide right. See if he is doubled. If not, let him do his basketball juke slant on the slow LB or tiny DB. It is nearly unstoppable. I have no idea why McJay refused that simple play for all but 1 or 2 times late in the year. I love hands TEs out in heavy jumbo as it gives an OC lots of options and DCs lots to worry about.

If he is doubled, we have 10 on 9 on the other 2/3rd's of the field. Figure it out from there.

We must fix our RZ woes and it starts with smart play calling, and presnap motion and "reeds".  For the love of the game, give Kirk more than 1 audible per week. This must change.  We audibled the fade to Josh twice in a row because we only had one audible #facepalm

The Cousins fade in part looks horrible as the tiny WR looks lost, doesn't establish position, and the ball is un-catchable. Either by a poor throw, or poor route. It was so ugly any time we tried, it was likely both.

I am very optimistic about the 2017 receiving corps but obviously significant parts are unproven.  We do know that that the scheme and QB are proven with nearly 9,000 yards the last couple of years it will be up to the receivers to measure up.

1.  2 1,000 yard performers are gone, the replacements have big shoes to fill.

2.  A healthy Reed is vital since he's the best of them.

3.  I am encouraged by Pryor's production in Cleveland but I don't know how he got his 1,000 yards because I didn't watch Cleveland.  I think how he got the yardage is critical.  Did he run disciplined routes and hit his spots on schedule or did get the yardage backyard style on ad hoc plays.  If he runs disciplined routes than he could have a huge year with Cousins, absolutely huge year.  

4.  Crowder is good but we don't know what we have in Doctson 

There's a few question marks though. I feel okay about them, right now my expectation is middle of the pack. Pryor has had a few drops and was basically getting force fed in Cleveland, did this inflate his stats? Doctson had an ailment all last season and I'm sure we're hoping it stays away forever, but he is still unproven. Crowder right now is our rock out of this group, and has shown time and time again he is a baller. If he wasn't 5'8" we'd all be talking about him being our #1 receiver, he's our best weapon out of the group, and imo will be our best receiver this year. I'm expecting huge numbers 1200 yards type. 

Archived