Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins sign Jay Gruden to two year extension

TSO

7 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

But the team did say that Scott might not be at the combine when questioned about availability ahead of time but reporters kind of ignored that ... lots of people knew he was not at redskins park since the 20th ... but hey it wasn't as impactful a story back then . 

They did? I completely missed that.

Not saying you're wrong or intending to misrepresent anything, but are there links or sources? I'd feel a lot better about it if that were the case. 

2 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'd feel a lot better about it if that were the case. 

You're not old enough to be Norvous, so I'm starting to think that maybe you need Valium or Prozac. :silly:

Finally, some actual good news. I am very happy about this. I think he has absolutely earned it. Yes, he has warts (time management, abandoning the run sometimes), but I think his positives vastly outweigh his negatives and he has been a great, steadying influence on this team. 

I'm making a public service announcement:

Never, EVER, read the conversations on twitter. Ever.

After seeing this tweet on our twitter thread...

Kevin Sheehan @kevins980

Gruden ext is...1) about Jay 2) for Kirk 3) to sell free agents on stability 4) to create look they did all they could to sign KC. #Redskins

...I made the mistake of going to that tweet to see what people were saying.

I've reached the conclusion that 98% of all convos on twitter are circle jerks. People who hate the Skins' front office and Snyder all get together responding to the same tweet taking turns validating each other's biases with barely a hint of logic or intelligence to be found. Fans who think Cousins is mediocre at best all congregate on the same tweets to congratulate each other on how much more football-savvy they are than all the other fans. Every move is first filtered through the dirtiest, muddiest lens possible. Media members think fans are just puppets who can't possibly see things as intelligently and objectively as they do. Fans think media members are either paid by the team to say what they're saying or are "riding a player's tip" for no reason whatsoever.

Just stick to reading the twitter thread here on ES and discussing what's brought up in those tweets here on ES or any  other message board.

34 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

I don't disagree with the move, think it will help the team now and the future, help with signing Cousins and such, but the timing I have a question with.

Odd that it appears no one saw this coming.  This combined with the front office situation just makes you wonder.  Not generating a conspiracy, just wondering at the timing and thinking that it could have been done better.

Well, it's a valid point, but if they are trying to distract from the McCloughan drama, why release the news at 11:30 on a Saturday night?

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I'm making a public service announcement:

Never, EVER, read the conversations on twitter. Ever.

When I read the comments, I go in knowing there is no reason to respond to any of the people in there. There are some really stupid ****ing people out there. But, I definitely feel smarter, more rational, less full of ****, and knowing I am a better human being than probably 92.3% of the people on Twitter.

25 minutes ago, TK said:

You're not old enough to be Norvous, so I'm starting to think that maybe you need Valium or Prozac. :silly:

Shut it, I can be bothered by that one thing. :ols: 

Seriously though, I was with them with how they were handling everything (silence) up until Scot not being at the combine and then the craziness that ensued, which they had to then scramble to address.

That was a blunder in my estimate but if there was something that they put out there about Scot not going to be there beforehand that's enough for me. My assumption was they didn't, hence why I perceive it as a blunder. 

Not the end of the world though and you won't ever see me obsessing over something like that, so if you want to give me anything I'll take some morphine for good times.

I know you got some left from all those arm/shoulder/elbow surgeries old man. :P 

1 hour ago, Fred Jones said:

Yeah good news, but why now?

Why not in January before the DC and OC searches?  Why not in February before we tagged Cousins?

Why wait until the combine, in the middle of the GMSM situation?

I don't disagree with the move, think it will help the team now and the future, help with signing Cousins and such, but the timing I have a question with.

Odd that it appears no one saw this coming.  This combined with the front office situation just makes you wonder.  Not generating a conspiracy, just wondering at the timing and thinking that it could have been done better.

Here's the wild part...if you wait for about 2-3 weeks you'll likely start to get all of those questions answered, and from what I've found it's usually for reasons that are common around the league and make sense.

That's hard to do in our microwave society, though. We're the generation that always has 3 seconds left on our microwave display. Patience is like the curtsy...something from a long-ago time and culture lol...

Good but really should have been done right after the season ended as a sign to the rest of the team and fanbase that we're committed to Gruden and headed in the right direction. Probably could have gotten a better D.C. too. Oh well, hopefully this gets Cousins to resign.

I like it. I would have done only a one-year extension, but this is fine.

I'm not even sold on Gruden as a great coach.  In particular, his clock management is bad even by NFL standards. But he's still young so perhaps he'll improve. 

More importantly, there are only a limited number of really good NFL coaches.  All of them are locked down, and most of them (I suspect) would never come here.  It is better to continue with Gruden then start over at the bottom with someone new.

Lets be real: how many GREAT coaches are there in the NFL? Bill Bellicheck...that's about it. Every other coach regularly makes big time tactical blunders. Mike Tomlin blew the game against the Cowboys by going for 2 point conversion like 3 times. Andy Reid STILL can't manage a clock. MIke McCarthy gets killed every year for his shoddy playcalling. Pete Carroll lost a Super Bowl by throwing from the 1. The list goes on and on.

If I had to rank Gruden I'd put him as above average with the arrow pointing up. More important than the Xs and Os, however, is that guys seem to genuinely like playing for him. He inherited an absolute mess, put his neck on the line for Cousins instead of the star child RG3, and now has back to back winning seasons(even SB winners like Gibbs Part 2 and Shanahan never accomplished that in their recent stints here).

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If I had to rank Gruden I'd put him as above average with the arrow pointing up.

I put him as a little below average, also with the arrow pointed up.  That is compared to the other 31 current NFL head coaches.

Compared to whoever out there would agree to be Synder's 8th head coach in 18 years.. Gruden is far above average.

37 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I like it. I would have done only a one-year extension, but this is fine.

I'm not even sold on Gruden as a great coach.  In particular, his clock management is bad even by NFL standards. But he's still young so perhaps he'll improve. 

When you are up by say 21 points in the last 5 minutes of the 4th QTR do you really think Gruden will have a problem with time management?

While you like to focus on the little picture I like to look at the big picture instead. Get the D fixed and other positions so it improves the whole team including not worrying about the extra 30 seconds we need to win the game!

I said this last week or so if Kirk wants to be here he will want Gruden to be extended. This has now become true. Now the LTD will happen and then we should be able to sign up Garcon and maybe Djax. Having stability and moving forward in the right direction. I like. :) 

jay has made some questionable decisions i n games ill admit, but its important to remember that he's only going into his 4th year as a HC and his players definitely believe in him and he's built some serious continuity on offense. Once the defense is straightened out hell definitely be viewed as one of the top coaches in the NFL. Hopefully he lasts the duration of the extension and beyond and this team can become an NFC powerhouse under his guidance.

13 hours ago, Skins-in-CT said:

I thought I heard they offered him an extension right after the season but it was non-guaranteed, so Jay wouldn't sign it.  Assuming that this extension is guaranteed, I hope that gives KC some assurance of stability and they can come to an agreement this weekend.

They did & this one is guaranteed. :)

Heres to really really really hoping we make the playoffs this year(first because it will be fun), because otherwise thats going to look like a mighty rash move.  I really hope Gruden turns out to be Bellichik 2.0, but its a bit odd to extend a guy when he might only make the playoffs 1 time in 4 years.  I figured they would wait until the end of the season, but Im guessing this was a move to ease the tensions of free agents and Kirk.

For the record I am fine with Coach Gruden and happy he got an extension.  But sorry, the timing does hint of damage control and an attempt to show stability.  

What has changed regarding Gruden between the end of the season and now?   If they made the decision to extend him they certainly could have done that before they were interviewing defensive coordinators,. I don't mean to over simplify the process but this is not a contract negotiation like  a player, from what I understand there is very little back and forth.   The team makes an offer to extend and the coach usually accepts.  I don't see the processing taking 6-7 weeks as a poster earlier claimed.  

By getting the deal done sooner it certainly would yhave heled the DC search by showing that coach stabillity.   I'm sure Jay's contract status did cause some highly regarded coordinators to hesitate.   I mean how many of you are really excited at the hire of Greg Manusky?

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

For the record I am fine with Coach Gruden and happy he got an extension.  But sorry, the timing does hint of damage control and an attempt to show stability.  

What has changed regarding Gruden between the end of the season and now?   If they made the decision to extend him they certainly could have done that before they were interviewing defensive coordinators,.  That would have helped that search  big time by showing stability.  I mean how many of you are really excited at the hire of Greg Manusky?

So it could not be that they agreed in principal but decided that other things were more important to get done first? Also, there is no way they could not let the prospective DCs know they had an agreement in principal but had some other tings to work out first?

As for Manusky, it does not matter if the fans are excited or not. It matters if he produces. I plan to give him a chance.

Only with the Redskins is actually showing stability and doing the right thing questioned as if they did something wrong. 

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So it could not be that they agreed in principal but decided that other things were more important to get done first? Also, there is no way they could not let the prospective DCs know they had an agreement in principal but had some other tings to work out first?

As for Manusky, it does not matter if the fans are excited or not. It matters if he produces. I plan to give him a chance.

Only with the Redskins is actually showing stability and doing the right thing questioned as if they did something wrong. 

Given the history of this organization it's perfectly understand to question the timing and motive for this extension and to ask why it was not done before they finalized the DC search.  We do not know what they told these candidates but  whatever they said did not  carry the weight of a signed extension.   Grudon's contract situation  could have very well played a part in top candidate's decision, it is naive to ignore this as a possibility.  I am willing to give Greg Manusky a chance too but the fact is he arrives with similar credentials as our previous 2 DCs.

Some of you will just never be happy with the team.  I truly believe, if we won 2 of the next 3 super bowls, you would be calling for heads because it wasn't 3 in a row.

Anyway, I think it's a small possibility at best that a potential DC said no because they hadn't extended their coach yet.  How do you know they didn't tell those interviewed that they WERE planning to extend him? WHY does this have to be twisted into a bad thing?

Now that I think about it...what exactly is all this dysfunction people are talking about???  MAYBE the fact that they didn't long term Cousins last year but that's what the franchise tag is for and they used it.  That's it.  GM isn't at the combine and hardly anyone realizes it's not a big deal.

Things are fine.  Let the media call us dysfunctional, we we FANS should be the ones defending the team and FO.  Instead, many of us are running with the same bull****.  Sad.

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Given the history of this organization it's perfectly understand to question the timing and motive for this extension and to ask why it was not done before they finalized the DC search.  We do not know what they told these candidates but  whatever they said did not  carry the weight of a signed extension.   Grudon's contract situation  could have very well played a part in top candidate's decision, it is nave to ignore this.  I am willing to give Greg Manusky a chance too but the fact is he arrives with similar credentials as our previous 2 DCs.

What's naïve is to assume you know what or was not discussed with the candidates during the interview process. Are you saying you know for a fact they did not have a deal done in principal? That it could not possibly be true? That they did not let the DCs know Jay was being extended? I am not saying I know. I am saying it's just as possible as them not even discussing it until the last few days.

Saying Manusky comes with the same credentials as the last two is false. All I heard was Barry was part of the 0-16 Lions as his only DC experience. I do not see that on Manusky's resume at all. 

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

What's naïve is to assume you know what or was not discussed with the candidates during the interview process. Are you saying you know for a fact they did not have a deal done in principal? That it could not possibly be true? That they did not let the DCs know Jay was being extended? I am not saying I know. I am saying it's just as possible as them not even discussing it until the last few days.

Saying Manusky comes with the same credentials as the last two is false. All I heard was Barry was part of the 0-16 Lions as his only DC experience. I do not see that on Manusky's resume at all. 

What I do know is saying you have a deal done in principal does not carry the same weight as showing candidates that the extension has been signed as I have said.   As you said we have no idea that they were even working on a deal back then,  had a deal in principal in place or what was told to the candidates.  That has been my point, if they wanted to extend Jay they should have done it earlier, it could have only helped the DC search. 

As for Manusky just as you can not put 0-16 entirely on Joe Barry, I hate that argument, it's kind of hard to rate Manusky.  Is it yards given up?  Points (which factors in their  offense's turnovers)?  Regardless of the  way we measure him the bottom line is his defenses have been average or below average everywhere he has been.  His last stop they were ranked 26th in yards, 25th in points.  If we go by yards, the best measure IMO, his defenses ranked 25th, 13th, 15th, 13th, 16th, 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th.

Like Joe Barry there is just nothing in his history to get excited about.

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Media members think fans are just puppets who can't possibly see things as intelligently and objectively as they do.

Not a truer statement has been made on ES ..  Even those who have been around forever, who change their colors with the dial.

Archived