Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

42 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Now if @jsharrin55 wants to piss everyone, he'll wait 16 hours before making his back to back pick lol.

Technically, without any one after me, it would skip back to me after 16 hours.  So in the time loop, I could just wait until I sit down on Thursday to watch the real draft....hmmmm.  

And now for Mr. Irrelevant:

As our yearly tradition comes to an end, it's only appropriate to end things as we started.

With the last pick in the extremeskins mock draft,  the Denver Broncos select:

DE.....

Garrett.....

Garrett Sickels, DE, PSU 

Ok, so not the same, but close.

Sickels is a high motor guy that is good in space.  Small for DE, more of an OLB if things work out.  Broncos currently see him as a special teams ace that can tackle well on kickoffs and create some havoc on field goal attempts.   

As always fun participating with you guys.  Look forward to the team write-ups and the nearly here draft.

15 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

We'll agree to disagree :dallas_sucks:

I'll just say that making a RG3 type deal and then following up by trading more future picks in the same draft doesn't happen for a reason.

You traded away your 1st, 2nd, 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th in 2018 and your 1st in 2019 and say you didn't mortgage your future.

I'd hate to see what mortgaging your future looks like...

I'd address the current Cowboys roster and salary cap but this probably isn't the time to keep that conversation going......

When we went into our draft back on March 30, if you were to hazard a guess at a final 53, the Cowboys sat thus:

Player ages in brackets.

FA signings in Red.

Any players who aren't under contract the next two years (through 2019) in blue. 

Offense:25.

QB.  Prescott- 24/ Moore- 28. <Contracted through 2018>

RB.  Elliott- 22/ McFadden, D- 29<Contracted through 2017>/ Morris- 28.<Contracted through 2017>

FB.  Smith, K- 25<Contracted through 2017>/ Smith, R- 25.<Contracted through 2018>

WR. Bryant- 28/ Williams- 28/ Beasley- 28<Contracted through 2018>/ Butler- 27<Contracted through 2017>/ Whitehead- 25.<Contracted through 2017>

TE.  Witten- 34/ Swaim- 23<Contracted through 2018>/ Gathers- 23.

OT.  Bell- 28<Contracted through 2017>/ Smith, T.- 26/ Green- 25<Contracted through 2018>/ Clearly- 26.(T/G.).<Contracted through 2017>

OG. Martin- 26<Contracted through 2018: Fifth year option picked-up>/ Collins, L.- 24<Contracted through 2017>/ Cooper- 27.<Contracted through 2017>

OC. Frederick- 26/ Looney- 27. (C/G.).<Contracted through 2017>

That's 10 of 11 offensive starters returning on a stellar offense that ranked 5th overall last year.. The odd man out, the retiring Doug Free, replaced by a stellar vet. Byron Bell in FA who's started 72 oft of 80 possible games his 5 years in Carolina and TN. Re-signing last years late former top 7 in 2013 pick-up Jonathan Cooper was also huge and offest the Leary departure.

The only needs going into this draft there were depth needs. Maybe a developmental QB for the third string. A developmental lineman if possible. And a future TE if one presented itself high. RB was the main priority in terms of depth given McFadden's injury history and Alfred Morris regressing BADLY from his time in DC. 

T.J. Logan attends to the RB depth, whilst also giving the Cowboys a much needed serious threat in the return game. The surprise fall of Hansen presents a chance to upgrade the receiving corp and move on from the very disappointing Lucky Whitehead both as a receiver and returner. 

So no real holes on offense at all pre-draft. With the two additions significantly boosting two skill areas and the key return game on teams. 

As regards the cap, the only starter's who are up the next two years are the two guards Martin and Collins. Zack Martin is currently on the hook for $9 million or so in 2018 with the 5th year option but will probably be re-done before then into a more cap friendly longer term deal. Then you're just looking at depth extensions. 10 next off-season. (Minus Morris and Whitehead. The planned cuts after camp with the rooks replacing them.). 5 in 2019. Or draft/ FA replacements as we go. 

All in all, no serious concerns the next 3 seasons from any perspective on the offensive side of the football. 

So let's look at the defense .....

Defense:25.

LDE.  Lawrence- 25<Contracted through 2017>/ Irving- 24.<Contracted through 2017>

RDE. Moore- 25<Contracted through 2018>/ Tapper- 24/ Mayowe- 26.<Contracted through 2018>

DT.    Crawford- 27/ Collins, M- 22/ Paea- 29<Contractyed through 2017>/ Thornton- 29. 

LB.    Smith, J- 22/ Lee- 31/ Hitchens- 25<Contracted through 2017>/ Wilber- 28<Contracted through 2017>/ Wilson- 24<Contracted through 2018>/ Nzeocha- 27<Contracted through 2018>

CB.   Scandrick- 30/ Brown- 23/ Carroll- 30/ McFadden, L- 26<Contracyed through 2017>/ Seamster- 26.<Contracted through 2018>

FS.    Jones- 24<Contracted through 2018>/ Blanton- 28.

SS.    Heath- 26/ Frazier- 23/ Showers- 26.<Contracted through 2018>

As opposed to the Cowboys great strength on the offensive side of the ball, this was the area that needed attending to. The front 4, although plentiful in numbers, BADLY needed a top echelon edge rushing playmaker. That was planned on being McKinnley (Thankfully I didn't sit on that as he'd gone by the time Dallas' original pick came up); but changed the morning of the first day of our mock when we got talking on the trade for Garrett. Who by association elevates the whole defense another coule of levels with what he gives up front. Throw in Blair Brown to box off arguably the best LB three in the league with the returning Jaylon Smith who is like a top 5 addition given his ridiculous talent. Almost as needy as an edge rusher was the back end. Outside of the top 3 corners, the depth is little to speak about. The same with the safety depth. So the addition of Moreau and Cutrer should help massively there. The Carroll pick-up allowing us to wait on Moreau's shoulder to heel fully. 

As regards the cap, the main starters to worry about the next two years are LE DeMarcus Lawrence in 2018 and both RE Damontre Moore and FS Byron Jones in 2019. After that you're looking at depth extensions. 6 Next off-season. 7 the one after. 

Again, with the additions to this side of the ball, and minimal major extensions, the net three years are in a very healthy looking position as we currently stand. 

Speicilists:3.

K.   Bailey- 29.

P.   Jones- 28.<Contracyed through 2017>

LS. Ladoucer- 37.<Contracted through 2017>

A good aged roster thats set in most starting positions with good aged, solid depth in a lot of areas. Not perfect. But then no team ever was. 

As regards the cap, Dallas currently sit at $ 632,996 for this year/ $28,297,502 in 2018/ $ 81,681,805 in 2019 worth of cap space. Once Romo is a post-June 1 cut, that goes up to: 2017- $ 14,059,259. Which bumos to $ 18,494,170 with Doug Free off the books this season. Allowing a few extensions like Zac and L'ael this season and any re-structures to set us up for the coming years. 

All of which, as mentioned way back with the first pick, I factored in and fully considered. The chance to get the key issing ingreadiants the Cowboys needed to make a serious run now, without jepoardising the future, was too great to turn down. 

Now, you may not agree with the strength of the roster. That's fine. But it's a lame ass argument to try suggest Dallas' future has been put at risk the next two drafts. 

Those remaining picks BTW:

2018. 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7. 

2019. 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7. 

But hey, if you've still got issues outside of just narking at holes that need filling for the sake of it, feel free. We never have shyed away from discussion in this thread. Just trying to explain in detail and address your concerns as to why the Dallas Cowboys made the moves we did in this class. And how secure we are allways round to be able to do that. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Do you guys want a separate, 'clean' thread for a re-cap/ write ups/ and scoring anyone cares to do?

Or do you just want to all add them here at the end?

Easy either way. 

Hail. 

Either is fine by me. I will do a write up on my draft and my best UDFA's available later tonight. I am at work and actually doing some work today....Hmmm. this feels weird.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Do you guys want a separate, 'clean' thread for a re-cap/ write ups/ and scoring anyone cares to do?

Easy either way. 

Hail. 

Doesnt matter to me but ill hold off on our obligatory annual tete a tete until its settled where Thunderdome will be located.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Easy either way. 

Hail. 

Totally up to you. The only thing I might offer is that for next year it might be best to have all things Mock draft in one thread. But really doesn't matter to me that much.

Just now, goskins10 said:

Totally up to you. The only thing I might offer is that for next year it might be best to have all things Mock draft in one thread. But really doesn't matter to me that much.

Like this one you mean? :P .

I was just thinking it would make it easier to look back on if the review is all over a few pages rathaer than an OP then 80 odd pages later. 

Hail. 

6 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

So my top UDFA target would be Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan

I call dibs.

Just now, goskins10 said:

I will also take a WR as my top FA, Isaiah McKenzie, WR Georgia

On your heads be it when Mr Monk arrives. 

Jumping in there before him. Sly. I LOVE IT! Haha. 

Hail. 

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Like this one you mean? :P .

I was just thinking it would make it easier to look back on if the review is all over a few pages rathaer than an OP then 80 odd pages later. 

Hail. 

I was indeed thinking this one ..   But again I have no hard preference. Whatever others want is fine with me.

1 minute ago, jsharrin55 said:

So I thought I was posting Mr. Irrelevant, but GHH forgot with the mock now over posting about the Cowboys is irrelevant. I demand a 2018 3rd rounder as compensation (I'd aim higher but he can't pay...)

The League, well, ME, acknowledge your concern and will take it under consideration. 

Unfortunately down to the process that the League (uhmm, ME again) has implemented for these type of complaints, the hearing on your complaint won't be heard until sometime around 2019. At which time the League regrets to inform you your complaint will be out of date. I know. It frustrates me too but the wheels of power turn slowly through the process I'm afraid. 

But you can guarantee a confirmation in 2019! We're nothing if not diligent in following these things up! 

Hail. 

I'll try to do my normal team break down a bit later hopefully. I'll do it similar to last year; behind a spoiler block so it

1) doesn't clutter up the thread

2) those people (:cough: GHH :cough:) who hate the methodology don't have to bother reading it

For now, here's a few of the overall rankings:

Adjusted Value

Adjusted Value looks at the pure value of the individual players a team picked, and then adjusts that in relation to the amount of talent other teams were able to get at that particular point in the draft. For example, if you picked in the middle 3rd and took someone who was a 3rd round talent, but the average talent being taken in the mid-third was actually late 2nd round talent, your value would be "adjusted" down. If most people were picking 4th round talent, your value would be adjusted up. This is based only on the actual players taken.

Team Rank Average
Falcons 1 10.61
Chiefs 2 9.11
Ravens 3 8.07
Titans 4 7.98
Dolphins 5 5.59
Colts 6 5.36
Seahawks 7 5.21
Broncos 8 4.77
Saints 9 4.71
Patriots 10 4.24
Chargers 11 4.22
Redskins 12 3.32
Eagles 13 3.14
Steelers 14 2.52
Browns 15 2.50
Rams 16 2.20
Vikings 17 2.14
Cardinals 18 2.04
Bucs 19 1.97
Bengals 20 0.28
Bills 21 -0.16
Jaguars 22 -0.31
Niners 23 -1.86
Lions 24 -2.05
Cowboys 25 -2.19
Bears 26 -2.28
Jets 27 -2.43
Raiders 28 -3.35
Packers 29 -4.15
Texans 30 -4.24
Panthers 31 -7.35
Giants 32 -8.13

The next three ranks are based off the both the players taken and future picks. As time goes on I'll likely make future picks a bit more accurate, but for now I've dealt with them as follows: For each year beyond 2017, one round is taken off the value. I always use the .5 value (indicating a mid/late round talent) as opposed to the full whole number value. So for instance 7 is considered a second round talent, 6.5 is late 2nd/early 3rd. If you traded a 2018 1st round pick, that would be a -6.5.

(GHH, I'd suggest just skipping these next three)

Average Talent

Taking all the draft picks into account, what level of talent did you get on average. This tends to favor those with fewer, and higher, picks. It could be viewed as how efficient you were with getting valuable picks.

Team Rank Average
Chargers 1 6.10
Colts 2 5.93
Ravens 2 5.93
Falcons 4 5.64
Saints 5 5.56
Titans 5 5.56
Browns 7 5.50
Chiefs 8 5.15
Seahawks 9 5.14
Bears 10 4.88
Eagles 11 4.86
Dolphins 12 4.86
Rams 13 4.83
Cardinals 14 4.79
Niners 15 4.72
Bucs 16 4.71
Vikings 17 4.69
Bengals 18 4.64
Bills 19 4.60
Jets 20 4.50
Raiders 21 4.33
Steelers 22 4.13
Packers 22 4.13
Broncos 24 4.00
Redskins 25 3.94
Patriots 26 3.92
Jaguars 27 3.89
Lions 28 3.78
Giants 29 3.31
Panthers 30 2.95
Texans 31 2.39
Cowboys 32 0.19
LEAGUE AVERAGE   4.49

Total Talent

This looks at how much talent, in total, a team has acquired through their actions this draft. Again, this takes into account future talent gained/given away as well. This metric tends to favor those with more picks. It could be viewed as how well you did in adding overall talent to your team.

Team Rank Total
Browns 1 66.00
Eagles 2 53.50
Raiders 3 52.00
Chiefs 4 51.50
Bengals 5 51.00
Bills 6 46.00
Titans 7 44.50
Saints 7 44.50
Niners 9 42.50
Ravens 10 41.50
Colts 10 41.50
Falcons 12 39.50
Bears 13 39.00
Vikings 14 37.50
Seahawks 15 36.00
Broncos 15 36.00
Redskins 17 35.50
Jaguars 18 35.00
Dolphins 19 34.00
Lions 19 34.00
Cardinals 21 33.50
Steelers 22 33.00
Packers 22 33.00
Bucs 22 33.00
Panthers 25 32.50
Jets 26 31.50
Chargers 27 30.50
Rams 28 29.00
Giants 29 26.50
Patriots 30 23.50
Texans 31 21.50
Cowboys 32 2.50
LEAGUE AVERAGE   37.22

3rd or better

Final metric here and perhaps the most straight forward one. This looks at your drafts and determines how many players you drafted that had a flat 3rd round or better grade on them. This will favor those who had a lot of top 100 picks. You could view this as how many potential near-term starters a team has added.

Team Rank Total
Browns 1 8
Seahawks 2 5
Titans 2 5
Bears 4 4
Falcons 4 4
Saints 4 4
Colts 4 4
Eagles 4 4
Bengals 4 4
Niners 10 3
Chiefs 10 3
Ravens 10 3
Chargers 10 3
Packers 10 3
Bucs 10 3
Jets 10 3
Steelers 10 3
Dolphins 10 3
Bills 10 3
Panthers 10 3
Redskins 10 3
Jaguars 10 3
Cardinals 10 3
Rams 24 2
Vikings 24 2
Giants 24 2
Broncos 24 2
Lions 24 2
Raiders 24 2
Cowboys 30 1
Patriots 30 1
Texans 30 1
LEAGUE AVERAGE   3

So to summarize my mock draft this year:

1 - Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio State (Damn you @daveakl!)

2 - Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

3 - Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State

4 - Traded to Dallas for 2 5th next year.

5 - Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech

6 - Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas

7a - Jerry Ugokwe, OT, William & Mary

7b - Alek Torgersen, QB, Pennsylvannia

We went into the draft with question regarding the OL, DL, RB positions mainly, maybe QB. It didn't went exactly as planned as I would have still preferred Christian McCaffrey at #4. But Malik Hooker was too good to pass up and help creating a fearful secondary with Tashaun Gipson, Barry Church, Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye. Jarrad Davis was a safe prospect to send into the lineup in our front 7 that have already been upgraded with Calais Campbell. With these two picks, the D should be set up for quite some years.

Pat Elflein in the third helps bolster the OL at a position where it was not really needed. Brandon Linder had a great year as a C last year, but I can expect to move him back to OG, his natural position and still not lose anything with Elflein at C. Which should help the interior line. T remains a problem on the line. But there were not so many T really worth it this year. Ramsczyk may have been one. Bolles maybe a second. But other than that it was pretty shallow.

Trading the 4th after Peterman was drafted right before us by the 49ers was obvious as I didn't like many of my other choices and this position back then. And I was right as I was able to grab my second guy in the 5th. We got 2 more picks next year which isn't bad at all.

Since missing on McCaffrey, Rogers seemed like an obligation move for me. Early 5th may be a little early, but 5th is generally the round where you guys starts looking at FB. It should help in our running game who has been terrible last year. He' a versatile guy that could help tremendously, just like Zach Zenner. And even if our runnning game needs help, I believe it's mostly due to poor OL job than anything as I've not given up on TJ Yeldon yet.

Sprinkle in the 6th was a bonus. Our TE corp is loaded with good young guy, and we add one that can block and catch. He'll have a tough task making it onto the roster with guys like EJ Bibbs, Marcedes Lewis or Ben Koyack already on the roster, but there's hope.

In the 7th we went with two developmental prospect. Both are more likely to hit the practice squad the first year as both Ugokwe and Torgersen are really raw at the moment. Still, both are really coachable guy, and with his measurables, Ugokwe might end up as a good reliable tackle in this league with proper coaching. (That's an hint for the Redskins and Callahan). Torgersen is quite alike, and could be a solid back up in the upcoming years.

So despise the regrets of Round 1, I'm still pleased of how it went overall. We didn't get the QB we wanted in case Blake Bortles fails again, but I still believe that 2016 was more of an anomaly than anything regarding him. So, that's still good.

Now we'll hae to see where these guys are drafted in this year real draft. Hopefully I'll do better than last year (which shouldn't be hard as 3 of my guys went undrafted and my 3rd round was the penultimate guy drafted...)

Archived