Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Cole Toner didn't get picked in our draft?  He was definitely on my board and I swear I almost picked him in the 4th or 5th.

Maybe you were thinking about taking him instead of Kyle Murphy, who you took at pick 137 (late 4th).

If it makes you feel better, my board had Murphy 50 ranks higher than Toner.

9 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Wes Saxton (UDFA Redskins)

I thought we signed Wes Saxton durning the regular season? Not as a UDFA, or am I confusing him with somebody else? Freaking practise squad guys. Does guy get cut and resigned way to many times to even keep track. 

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

I thought we signed Wes Saxton durning the regular season? Not as a UDFA, or am I confusing him with somebody else? Freaking practise squad guys. Does guy get cut and resigned way to many times to even keep track. 

Actually it looks like he was an UDFA that was picked up by the Jets, dropped, and then we grabbed him. I think some of the UDFA guys I may have under their new team and not necessarily who grabbed them.

Just now, ZRagone said:

Maybe you were thinking about taking him instead of Kyle Murphy, who you took at pick 137 (late 4th).

If it makes you feel better, my board had Murphy 50 ranks higher than Toner.

I can't remember if I was thinking of taking him instead of Murphy, or if I was considering taking Toner after Murphy since I had a decent grade on him.

Looking at my draft, I wound up taking Brissett since I thought the QBs had fallen too far, then Josh Ferguson 'cause I wanted an RB (was an impulse-pick, so I deserved someone who went undrafted), Lawrence-Stample because I had him highly rated as a NT which was a need, and then eventually wound up with Weatherly because I liked his measurables.  Probably should have taken Toner over Ferguson or Weatherly :/

23 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Kevin Taylor (6th 49ers)

Cole Toner (5th Cardinals)

Alex Lewis (4th Ravens)

Bralon Addison (UDFA Bears)

Romeo Okwara (UDFA Giants)

Deandre Washington (5th Raiders)

Randall Evans (6th Eagles)

Cody Wichmann (6th Rams)

Malcomb Brown [RB] (UDFA, Rams)

Xzavier Dickson (7th, Pats)

Wes Saxton (UDFA Redskins)

Hmm out of that bunch Okwara might be the best so far.  Washington, Lewis, and Wichmann have some playing time too.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Did we even draft an European player yet this year? At least one looks to be draftable. 

The German? Someone did. Last year's mock is linked in the second post on the first page. 

Hail.

*Edit* Read too fast. This year. Not last. Ignore me. 

As you were. 

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The German? Someone did. Last year's mock is linked in the second post on the first page. 

Hail.

I drafted the German WR last year and he didn't even make the Vikings.

I don't know if I'll ever draft any player whose previous team was the Unicorns again.

Live and learn, gents.  Live and learn.

7 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

I drafted the German WR last year and he didn't even make the Vikings.

I don't know if I'll ever draft any player whose previous team was the Unicorns again.

Live and learn, gents.  Live and learn.

He's still on the books up in the frozen tundra. 

Spent all last year developing on the Vikes practice squad.

If I've waited through 86 picks and 3 figging rounds, only to have Mills come in here near the end of his time slot and take my guy from under me, I do believe I may well ban him and strip him of all Carolina's picks! :angry:

Commissioner's privilege! 

Hail. 

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I took a Brit who moved to America to play football.

Ah ofcourse Jermaine Eluemunor. Totally forgot that he is British...but we could make a point that England is kinda not Europe. At least that is the vibe I get from does guys. They want to be there own little continent. :P

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If I've waited through 86 picks and 3 figging rounds, only to have Mills come in here near the end of his time slot and take my guy from under me, I do believe I may well ban him and strip him of all Carolina's picks! :angry:

Keep in mind we are in the 7th round.

There can't be too many picks that can support the level of writeup you and Mills put together for each of your picks, so he may have no choice but to pick your guy.

The internet is only so big...

5 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

.....but we could make a point that England is kinda not Europe. At least that is the vibe I get from does guys. They want to be there own little continent. :P

No accounting for the base stupidity of an ill-informed, scare monger lead populous. :(:angry: Ask our American friends. 

But your loveable Commish happens to come from one of the very few places in the UK that voted to stay in Europe. So there is that. :) .

Hail. 

And finally, the Panthers last pick. 

With the 7th round 245th overall pick, the Panthers select...

Nathan Gerry - SS - Nebraska

Really surprised no one picked up this kid. With the Panthers looking to further their depth in the backfield, Nathan Gerry is a steal. I honestly was surprised to see him still available on my board, and probably would've picked him up earlier if I noticed.

Anyways, to make this fast, a quick copy and paste of traits this kid brings:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-nathan-gerry-s-nebraska/

Name: Nathan Gerry

School: Nebraska

Position fit: SS

Stats to know: Third-best run stop percentage of all draft-eligible safeties.

What he does best:

• Excellent at working downhill in run defense out of a split safety look.
  • Improved tackler from his previous two years at Nebraska; went from 25 combined missed tackles in 2014 and 2015 to eight in 2016.
  • Has ability to read the QB allows him to attack coming forward and cut off routes to make big plays.
  • Four interceptions and six pass breakups in 2016.
  • Has the size, physicality and aggressive playing style to take on tight ends in man coverage.
  • Over the past three seasons opposing QBs completed just 51.5 percent of throws into his coverage and had a rating of 54.5 against him.
  •  

Player comparison: Kurt Coleman, Carolina Panthers

Coleman does not meet the standard level of athleticism of a traditional safety, but his aggressiveness and ball skills have extended his career much longer than was anticipated when he came out of Ohio State in 2010 and was selected in the seventh round.

Bottom line: Gerry’s best and only fit seems to be in a split safety role where he is hardly ever asked to play single-high free safety and is limited in his deep coverages. He can play half the field and attack the flats and LOS as well as any safety in this class, but he is limited athletically and does not look like he can matchup with any wide receiver or tight ends with plus speed. Gerry can be an effective early-down player who is best hidden in underneath zone coverage or cover-2 looks in nickel and dime situations.

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Thanks to Mills being a jerk-face pick-stealer, I'mma have to take my time on the clock when the Brit finishes getting off to the pick he's about to make.

Or you could trade me the pick for a 2018 6th rounder.

You have options.

With GHH apparently going with a DB, I know my top two are still going to be there once he's done.

PLEASE SOMEONE TRADE ME ONE OF THE REMAINING PICKS FOR MY 2018 6th ROUNDER!

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So the Cowboys have been on the clock for one hour, mostly... And they still haven't picked?

That guy must be writing a novel longer than the whole Harry Potter stuff....

@PokerPacker, @skinfan2k, @clskinsfan, @bedlamVR, @Sea Donkey, @jsharrin55.

We're counting on all off you guy to close this by tonight!

As we're WELL ahead of schedule, I'm taking my sweet ass time as I just KNOW you like to chill and let things play out slowly Frenchie. :D .

Hail. 

The Dallas Cowboys 2017 Draft has left us feeling exceptionally fortunate and humble to land some fantastic steals. From one of this class' top CB's, Fabian Moreau, our 5th ranked corner who fell through injury to the late second, through Chad Hansen, our 5th overall ranked WR who somehow wound up in early 4th; we've already MORE than benefited from some top notch starting calibre talent falling. And now, after waiting diligently through 86 straight picks and 2 full rounds and more, we believe we may just have our biggest steal of all. A guy we have a late second day/ early third day grade on. (And one who's steadily being pegged to go around the late 3rd/ early 4th the nearer we get to this Thursday.). And in our opinion, the single biggest Combine snub of 2017.

So without further ado, it is with great pleasure the Dallas Cowboys announce, to round out our draft, with the 28th Pick in the 7th Round of the 2017 NFL Draft, and 246th overall

CB. Jeremy Cutrer. Snr. Middle Tennessee State University.

636047116321767588-1-Cutrer--MTSU-practi

Cutrer's back-story is a fascinating one and the mark of the young man's character and perseverance. Brought up fatherless in New Orleans, he suffered the ultimate devastation aged 11 when the family home was washed away in the horrific floods of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. Leaving the family moving from place to place wherever they could literally find shelter. But football was his overriding passion and like most Louisiana kids. playing for LSU his dream. He was a highly sought after 4-star recruit out of High School back in 2013, ranking on Rivals list as the # 16 safety in the Nation, and # 6 overall prospect in the State of Louisianna. LSU did indeed recruit him, but devastatingly for Jeremy, he failed to meet their academic credentials for entry on National Signing Day 2013. So he ended up going the JUCO route, winding up first at Missippi Gulf Coast Community College for 2 seasons in 2013/ 14. Before he again tried his luck at LSU, this time as a 4-star Juco/ 3-star composite recruit. And for the second time, he sadly fell short on his academic accreditations to leave his LSU dream in tatters again. So he wound up at MTSU where he's been one of collegiate balls most consistent corners the past two years. And to round off his tough slog to this point, he graduated with a degree in Liberal Studies this past December to his credit.

A young man that's come through a heck of a lot of adversity in his young life to come out the other side fighting. And a heck a promising football prospect to boot .....

Standing at 6'2, with long 32 and 3/4" arms and a big 76 and a 1/4" wingspan, with big, soft hands, Jeremy's the ideal NFL height/ length for the position and athletic with it. Adept at both man and off coverage, he was mainly placed in press-man through his time in Murfreesboro. His long, quick strides keeping him glued to his opponent with the aggression to disrupt their routes. With his fluid hips and quick feet allowing him to change direction seamlessly and keeping him at their side. Smooth in the back-peddle in off coverage with a great closing burst. (4.59 40 at his pro-day). Cutrer is a ball-hawking playmaker, using his height and length advantage to both get around receivers and out jump them. Highpointing the football. In his two short years at MTSU, he finished third in Blue Raiders history in passes defended (29), and bagged himself 6 INT's. And to exepmlify his tough attitude, he also made two key blocks on kicks his time at MTSU too! 

His DC at MTSU, Steve Elis, speaks very highly of Jeremy, citing him as 'the best player I've ever coached, with off the charts upside.

The one downside is his weight. Cutrer has a lean, skinny frame and plays around 168 LBS. He needs a bit of work in that respect in a proper weight and conditioning programme. Along with being a little over aggressive at times in run support with his technique. But the finishing is something that will come with better coaching. That said, he's a fearless kid for his lack of strength and is pretty darn good tackler on the whole, often taking his man low around the legs which we like. His lack of college ball isn't ideal. (Just 2 years at Middle Tennessee at the FBS level.). But given all he's overcome to get to this stage, along with his production at MTSU, the Cowboys don't view that as, as big a negative as it could be. 

All in all, we're frankly amazed he was still on the board at the very back end of the draft. 31 other corners have gone before Cutrer and we believe at least 12 of them are misplaced to have. He's an absolute small school gem who we believe is a starting calibre corner over time and patience to bulk him out. With his great measurables, athleticism, character, toughness and ball skills, along with his added versatility to excel at corner or safety, the Dallas Cowboys are exceptionally blessed to have added another key piece to our defensive future to round out an absolutely sumptuous draft class. 

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK! 

Hail. 

With the 29th pick of the 7th round (247th) The Green Bay Packers select LB Samson Ebukam, Eastern Washington

UnhealthyClutteredBluebottlejellyfish.gi

Another combine snub who put up some pretty good numbers at his pro day.  Here's where he compares to guys at the combine:

4.45s 40-yard dash (#1 among linebackers)

39" vertical (#1 among linebackers)

10'10" broad (#1 among linebackers)

24 reps (#3 among linebackers)

He's a versatile guy who players all over the front seven.  He'll rush the edge with his hand in the dirt on either side of the line, drop back in coverage in the slot, and also provide pressure up the A gap as an interior linebacker.  As a pass-rusher, he plays with a relentless motor giving it everything he has.  He could stand to spend some time in the weight room putting on some mass; despite the number of reps he put up, he's a little on the small side at 240 pounds to be effective against NFL linemen.  At the end of the 7th round, I'm okay taking a flier on an athlete of this calibre.  I anticipate him having an impact on special teams immediately.

Archived