Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (political) HUMOR thread

Larry

OK, it looks like the old Daily Show thread has been archived.  (Or at least, I can't seem to find it.)  

Yes, there are several Trump administration threads.  And their focus on their respective topics is pretty broad.  But I'm not really sure this fits in any of them.  And I'm hoping that this one can be a thread more for humor than for arguing.  I assume that most of the submissions will be making fun of the New Trump Order.  But hopefully there's other targets for satire, too.  

Edit:  just to make it clear(er):  

Yes, I assume that most of the submissions in this thread will be making fun of Trump.  Because he's the most newsworthy person in the landscape now, and because he generates so much satire-worthy material.  

But this thread is not to discuss "what Trump did today".  It's to discuss "What some comic said, last night."  If Trump, say, decides to announce that he's decriminalizing **** grabbing, and you want to discuss it, do it in another thread.  If Will Rogers does a skit about it, and you want to discuss the skit, this is the place.  

Boy Tweets World.  

In this segment, TDS observes that the media, when reporting on Trump's latest literary output, seems unsure of which voice is appropriate for reading Trump's tweet.  So, the DS cast members take what I assume are actual Trump tweets, and read them in various dramatic tones.  (I thought Lewis Black nailed it.)  

Edit:  

Oh, and just by comparrison?  I don;t think this skit comes remotely close to the following Colbert segment.  (My favorite one from the Stewart/Colbert Era.)  

Context:  It's the Presidential campaign (or '12?)  One of the R candidates is Newt.  And well, Newt has done something (don;t remember what), which has caused his entire campaign staff to desert him, and resign.  Newt fires off a press release, to respond to the mass defection of his staff.  Here's the Colbert response to Newt's press release.  

Now that's how you take a a President's (or a candidate's) press release, and do a dramatic reading of it.  

22 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Better get used to it, there ain't enough threads possible to keep up with the torrent of bull**** coming outta their mouths

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other , but let's be honest about where this thread is headed.   A Trump presidency is the only thing that was going to save the Daily Show,

51 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other , but let's be honest about where this thread is headed.   A Trump presidency is the only thing that was going to save the Daily Show,

Dont kid yourself, they'd do just fine with a Hillary presidency.

Good morning Vietnam

@Larry

Good deal on the thread (esp. if it annoys TiimymSmith)

if you or the forum think it works, iimma suggest maybe include sam bee in the title as she has some great material but i didn't want to start a sam bee thread---it is totally anti-trump, but it's solid material

i'll slip one in about her, but it's not a bit she did---she sells the nasty woman t-shirts on her website i guess, and they donate (i don't know what percentage) the money to Planned Parenthood :) 

i think the figure i heard the other night was $6 mil so far. and she said the guys were feeling left out, so they were waiting for trump to say something they could use, so they took "bad dudes" from his tweet on blocking refugees (maybe shoulda held out for one more day and they'd have had "bad hombres").  and so now you can get that t-shirt and the donations go to a refugee relief fund which by nature will largely benefit muslims. :)

added: soon after the election i started thinking how amazingly rich in satirical (or any other kind) of humor trump world goes to the WH would be for Stewart if he were still here, and i keep going back to the fun refuge in humor on this stuff

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

@Larry

Good deal on the thread (esp. if it annoys TiimymSmith)

if you or the forum think it works, iimma suggest maybe include sam bee in the title as she has some great material but i didn't want to start a sam bee thread---it is totally anti-trump, but it's solid material

Yeah, I could see a "political late night comedy" thread.  That's at least the tone I was thinking of.  

not really discussing, say, Trump's policies.  (Or whatever the topic is.)  More like discussing whether the skit was funny.  

(And I confess, I've probably only watched a dozen or so of the new Daily Shows.  And this was the only one I thought was worthy of starting a thread over.  but then, the old one would go for a while without really being great, too.  I'm willing to tolerate a show that only scores a hit occasionally.)  

No clue how accurate a satire that was.  (Never seen one of the press conferences.)  

But it sure was funny.  Which was what I was looking for.  

(I'm also open to suggestions for revised thread titles, to indicate the acceptance for non-DS material.  "The political HUMOR thread"?)

6 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Call it "Another Trump Thread", just like I stated earlier.  

yes, and here you did it one time too many, not that the first time wasn't gratuitous enough

shoulda settled for that and avoided the doubly pointless repeat

Figuring this would be the best place for this: saw a promo for tonight's episode of Messy Truth (cnn) and the guest is Bill Maher and he was getting into it with a trump support like one would irl, not the way non-partisan tv news hosts do it lol....looks like it might be a fun show

On 2/3/2017 at 8:32 AM, Riggo-toni said:

I miss Jon Stewart....bring hin back and Make Satire Great Again.

Rumors been going for awhile that him and HBO are working on something. 

There are people out there that legit believe Trump wouldn't be president now if Stewart hadn't retired. That he would've been able to hit him unlike anyone else was able to. 

If there is even a sliver of truth to that, you know it has to kill Stewart. He'll be back. And with a vengeance. (fingers crossed) 

Anyway, is Noah any good yet? Still haven't heard anything positive about him (but haven't checked in a minute). 

OK, going through the contents of the DVR, so this one is from a while back.  Daily Show covers Trump's inauguration, and the next day's Women's March(s).  

Ladies and the Trump

"It's insane that Trump would spend his first 24 hours fighting about something as inconsequential as how big his crowd was, and how long it stretched. And I would never suggest that the President sees his inauguration crowd as some sort of metaphor for his manhood.  

"But the way he and his defenders talk about it, it's almost unavoidable. "  

OK, how many Trump defenders can we find, where we can twist their words into a teenage-level sexual joke?  

Later segments of the joke feature two DS correspondents, covering the Trump inauguration, and the protest march.  And the administration's alternative facts.  

This one (these ones), I think, is pretty good.  Yeah, some of it was rather juvenile.  It's the Daily Show.  

Archived