Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (political) HUMOR thread

Larry

On the first page I gave the following instruction---absolutely no policy discussions or arguments---for what should be obvious reasons and with an easily understandable goal.

I'm going to do a little editorializing here in the food for thought spirit and the hope it's not all self-indulgent. 

When Larry started the thread, I offered some guidance but didn't want to control. As I knew back during the DS thread, keeping it specific to that show as opposed to a "general political humor" thread is what made it work to the extent it did. What I mean by that is general pol-humor threads---esp. ones that feature cartoons---tend to become troll wars as much or more than seeking humor and wit.

Basically you get a major helping of righty-guy posts a jab on a topic followed by lefty-guy "retaliating" and everyone just blows their familiar little bubble at each other. Admittedly, this criticism isn't recognizing that there are people who do appreciate the wit in a quality cartoon and such cartons can be their own art form, so let me note that now, yet also recognize quality is subjective and the bar here is often low.

I also realize that cartoons etc. allow for more right-siders to post material like their lefty counterparts, since there are no real right wing comedic equivalents to all the lefty comedy shows. So all they really have to add to those threads is criticizing the show/comedian. Now that kind of thread (The DS or a San Bee or John Oliver thread) are still legit on their own for what should be obvious reasons, it's just the right-siders have a much more narrow path for participation.

All forms of pol-humor are available for use in this thread, but imma offer a challenge with only fun in mind: we all know each other as regs and how we post---so how about some of us taking the "other side" role and the rigthy guy psot some acerbic wit aimed at their side and the lefty guy do the same. Sort of see how well we can do at identifying and lampooning the flaws and foibles in our own more than in the other.

My apologies if this was nothing but annoying, and of course, this is not to start an extended off-topic discussion. I'm not going to mind at all if the idea is a dud and I will bear the brunt of any derision mentally hurled my way if, one more time, my thoughts are nothing more than a bothersome interruption. :D

• 2 weeks later...

@Jumbo was trying to find a good sample clip, but if you are looking for more progressive political comedy, check out The Jimmy Dore show.

Its kind of like a mix between The Daily Show and MST3K where they show either MSM interviews or speeches and just take turns ripping it apart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

posting this to those who would be interested, that if you haven't been watching sam bee or john oliver, take it up and you might be glad (she's off for a couple weeks now i think()

bee's material has been brilliant at times, recently....oliver is fielding some better stuff, too, though it's less consistent

guess i better do a clip in here for form :)

not a bill maher fan, but trump has made him better (harder to go wrong with the quality/volume of the source material), so if you you can't stand trumpworld but haven't been watching bill you may want to give it a shot. he's had some funny stuff the last couple months.

• 11 months later...
2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

When was the Daily Show not at 11?

I'm used to it being around the same time as the evening Network News shows, like between 6 and 7.  Think you may be talking about re-runs of that day's episodes at 11 (PBS Newshour does the same thing), they're making new episodes at 11 (which if they were already doing, please disregard)

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm used to it being around the same time as the evening Network News shows, like between 6 and 7.  Think you may be talking about re-runs of that day's episodes at 11 (PBS Newshour does the same thing), they're making new episodes at 11 (which if they were already doing, please disregard)

Nope, the early evening episode is a rerun from 11pm the night before. 

37 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Yeah, the new ones have always been at 11 - then they are rebroadcast at 7 the next day.

I like Trevor Noah, but I must admit I miss Jon Stewart.

You sure about "always"?  Nitpicking at that point, I'm wrong, ready to move on.

Agreed, he's no Jon Stewart, but that's not really fair to either of them.  Noah shouldn't be trying to be Jon Stewart, and from what I can tell, he's not, which is good.  The dropoff is noticeably, but it is what it is.  What Stewart has done for the political satire genre is so transcendent that even if the Daily Show got canceled, his legacy will still stay in tact.  It's like trying to chase Jordan, it's futile, and not necessary for being successful in your own right and name.

Archived