Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You can assume Kirk isn't after some kind of landmark NFL contract. He'll be looking for top 5-10 money. In a scenario where the organisation appears in total chaos, there is no need for the FO to posture or pontificate. Ideal situation to pay the man and get the PR engine moving forward in a positive manner.

Bit of a no brainer really unless there is an underlying major issue.

The chaos is perception and exaggeration. FAs have been signed. Business moves made. Team is moving along. Yes, they fired the GM. But **** happens. No one is indispensable.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I totally get being nervous (not saying you) but the constant trashing of the team as bungling, hard headed, mean, egotistical, stupid, etc. etc. etc. is ridiculous. It's one thing to say, "I really hope they get this done. It's making me nervous as I don't want to lose Kirk." vs. "The team has totally ****ed this up. Someone must hate Kirk and Kirk clearly hates them........ etc."

BTW: All 8 players given the Exclusive tag signed with the same team - 6 late June or later. All had reports they would never get a deal done.

You're very right--however, would it not be just Redskins, and D.C. Sports in general, to see Kirk go play for Kyle Shanahan in SF and they win multiple Super Bowls together? Only think worse is being Cleveland that has seen their former team win 2 SBs and their former coach win 5.

Another way of looking at the guaranteed part of the contract.  Cousins has seen up close how the Redskins operate under Snyder for over the past 5 years.  It starts at the top with Snyder.   Bruce Allen is just Snyder's lachey.  When Snyder gets upset...or has a vendetta....he can be plain mean by smearing people before firing.   Cousins knows that playing for the Redskins as the highest paid player will come with unreasonably high expectations in which all loses will be pinned on him therefore Cousins will become the target of Snyder's wrath if he doesn't perform like the highest paid player in the NFL.  This will be even more true knowing that he forced the Redskins to pay him.  So....having the high guaranteed part of the contract allows Cousins to maintain some leverage because if Snyder goes on a rampage over Cousins not meeting his expectations and plots to fire him....Cousins will walk away with the balance of the guaranteed $80-100 million which will hurt Snyder more.  I can picture a future scenario of Cousins and Snyder locked into a battle similar to what Shanahan and Snyder went thru back in 2013 where Snyder will go full bore to force Cousins to quit.  The more Snyder will be on the hook if Cousins were to be waived the more Snyder will curb his petty anger because of the cost.

Comprehende?

38 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Another way of looking at the guaranteed part of the contract.  Cousins has seen up close how the Redskins operate under Snyder for over the past 5 years.  It starts at the top with Snyder.   Bruce Allen is just Snyder's lachey.  When Snyder gets upset...or has a vendetta....he can be plain mean by smearing people before firing.   Cousins knows that playing for the Redskins as the highest paid player will come with unreasonably high expectations in which all loses will be pinned on him therefore Cousins will become the target of Snyder's wrath if he doesn't perform like the highest paid player in the NFL.  This will be even more true knowing that he forced the Redskins to pay him.  So....having the high guaranteed part of the contract allows Cousins to maintain some leverage because if Snyder goes on a rampage over Cousins not meeting his expectations and plots to fire him....Cousins will walk away with the balance of the guaranteed $80-100 million which will hurt Snyder more.  I can picture a future scenario of Cousins and Snyder locked into a battle similar to what Shanahan and Snyder went thru back in 2013 where Snyder will go full bore to force Cousins to quit.  The more Snyder will be on the hook if Cousins were to be waived the more Snyder will curb his petty anger because of the cost.

Comprehende?

Yea, that's a bit of revisionist history. Shannahan is the one who did the smear campaign. He also went 24-40 over 4 yrs including finishing with a 3-13 season. He was quite vocal that he almost quit after the 2012 season. Even if that's true, and I have my doubts - why make it public? Not saying Dan didn't pressure him and make him want to quit. But I do not remember any smear campaign. He wasn't winning enough.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10214494/washington-redskins-fire-mike-shanahan

As for how Cousins sees all this - I still believe the players have thicker skins than the fans. It's a business. They all want to win. They are on the verge of being a good football team on the field. They were literally a few plays from being in the playoffs - a missed FG and poorly timed interception along with a Matt Jones fumble come to mind. Any one of those go a different way and they are in.

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, that's a bit of revisionist history. Shannahan is the one who did the smear campaign. He also went 24-40 over 4 yrs including finishing with a 3-13 season. He was quite vocal that he almost quit after the 2012 season. Even if that's true, and I have my doubts - why make it public? Not saying Dan didn't pressure him and make him want to quit. But I do not remember any smear campaign. He wasn't winning enough.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10214494/washington-redskins-fire-mike-shanahan

As for how Cousins sees all this - I still believe the players have thicker skins than the fans. It's a business. They all want to win. They are on the verge of being a good football team on the field. They were literally a few plays from being in the playoffs - a missed FG and poorly timed interception along with a Matt Jones fumble come to mind. Any one of those go a different way and they are in.

I remember this.  Before being hired Shanahan made it known to Snyder that he wouldn't tolerate the owner cozying up to players like Snyder did with LaVarr and Portis.  Snyder ignored it and did it again with RG3 which empowered RG3 to dictate to the HC how he was going to play in the future.  First leaked stories during 2013 were negative towards Shanahan.  Shanahan fought back using the same weapon, the media.  After the Shanahans were fired, Cousins showed his support to the Shanahans.  Why else is Cousins intent on a reunion with Kyle in San Francisco and why is a grown 50-something year old owner being petty by refusing to allow a trade to the 49ers to the point where it could hurt the team. My personal experience is that men with money can be the most immature of all....plus we are dealing with a 20-something year old player.  I would like to believe that what you stated is true but my experience shows that while this is business, there is still plenty of childish behavior behind people's motives.  I really believe Cousins wants out because he doesn't trust nor like Snyder or his lacheys....and Snyder is a petty, immature owner still holding a grudge against the Shanahans.  JMO.

Cousins wants guaranteed money because he doesn't want the team to be able to get out of his contract early. He likely wants them to simply show that they have no intention of doing so for at least three years and are completely behind him. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and, in fact, I'd say he's doing us all a favor knowing just how unstable this organization is. He's essentially forcing stability at the most important position in football. And that's absolutely his right considering the team continues to pay him elite money every year with the tag because they're scared ****less to lose him. The irony of that if these idiots "aren't convinced" is too thick for even their foolishness. 

I've maintained since day one that as long as they reach a deal with him for 2-3 million more per year than what they could've done last year, the move to stick with the tag in 2016 was fine. Now it looks like it'll be a bit more than that after hearing what Kirk's side offered last year and what they'll likely be asking for this year based on market. 

And, you know what? I'm still fine with that. I remember my initial shock and disappointment last offseason when a deal wasn't reached by the deadline, and I'm pretty sure now that my initial feelings were spot on... but I'll still be willing to accept the rationale. 

If they don't come to a LTD, I don't care what anyone says... hard for me not to see how that is anything but a joke move by a joke organization. Like I'm going to believe the Redskins did something no other NFL organization in its history did with a franchise QB and they're the smart ones while everyone else is stupid. Lol. Just lol. Lol all over your face. 

Nitpick Kirk's game and try to thrust the blame onto him all you want if this doesn't get done. I'm sure the team will provide you with enough to smear him like they do with everyone they part with. You're just an enabler of a moronic franchise in that case with little to no ability to evaluate anything football in my book. Harsh, I know. But whatevs, it's earned. 

I don't doubt this for one second because we've got people totally blaming Scot for everything in another episode of "Titles are meaningless and getting undermined is right around the corner at Redskins Park", stay tuned for more! Sure, he was likely drunk out of his mind and it affected everything... but he's went through this twice and NEVER was it a war like it was here. Where his wife is tweeting ****, he or his camp are leaking **** detailing the undermining of his title, and he's wearing Redskins pj's all over town. And, yes, our toxic media plays a significant role in that, I'm not denying that. But that's awesome in its ridiculousness. :ols: 

They engender ZERO loyalty from their employees, or even amongst the media, and we think that's a coincidence? It's too easy for anyone to go nuclear on them. To think that's an accident that continuously occurs and not indicative of terrible management on a daily basis? Oh, they just handled the PR poorly, that's all, lulz. Another appointed savior by this franchise destroyed in a battle that plays out publicly... I just refuse to buy it hook, line and sinker. As much as I want to and, believe me, I do. I really do. :/ 

But I digress. I've stayed away from here because I'm not the type to obsess about these negatives and spread misery. I'd rather keep it to myself and I sincerely apologize for taking a dump here like this. You won't hear much more on this from me if I can help it. 

But for God's sake... if this doesn't get done. First franchise QB in decades at a time where the league is so heavily imbalanced towards that position and we screw it up. Empty stats or "it's the system", lol. So empty not a single QB out of the millions we've brought here in desperation could do it and none of the other guys came close operating the same system as well. A franchise guy we developed ourselves for the first time in ages. No one EVER lets these guys go. 

It would be the ultimate proof that we're being ran by one of the worst owners with one of the worst hiring processes in sports history. I'm almost at a point where I hope it happens so I can once and for all be relieved from ever expecting anything remotely resembling success from this organization. Just watch the games with little vested interest or care like I did mid-2013 through 2014. Much less stressful. 

God willing they get it done. And they actually hire someone legit at GM again, though I doubt that's even possible. But Kirk signing here would mean some semblance of competitiveness, though his and Jay's ceilings would likely forever be limited by their FO. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I really don't understand why the organization would offer him less in guarantees than his two-year tag amount. If this is truly their highest offer, then they need to try to trade him. 

Somehow this team was dealt a full house and is going to end up folding. Ridiculous!

This

Totally crazy that a multi-billion organization can't understand simple numbers.  If they don't come in with at least 75 million guaranteed for say 4 years and 100 million total why would KC's agent even return a phone call with their counter offer.

8 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

This

Totally crazy that a multi-billion organization can't understand simple numbers.  If they don't come in with at least 75 million guaranteed for say 4 years and 100 million total why would KC's agent even return a phone call with their counter offer.

And they are tone deaf to think Cousins won't notice that they throw crazy money around all the time, yet will decide now (with the first potential franchise QB we've had in decades) to become frugal. Now granted, they shouldn't be making decisions based on public perception, but this decision would make no sense whatsoever. If there is ever a time to stretch a little financially (and $25-30M over 5 years is only stretching a little), it's at this position at this point in time. 

33 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I remember this.  Before being hired Shanahan made it known to Snyder that he wouldn't tolerate the owner cozying up to players like Snyder did with LaVarr and Portis.  Snyder ignored it and did it again with RG3 which empowered RG3 to dictate to the HC how he was going to play in the future.  First leaked stories during 2013 were negative towards Shanahan.  Shanahan fought back using the same weapon, the media.  After the Shanahans were fired, Cousins showed his support to the Shanahans.  Why else is Cousins intent on a reunion with Kyle in San Francisco and why is a grown 50-something year old owner being petty by refusing to allow a trade to the 49ers to the point where it could hurt the team. My personal experience is that men with money can be the most immature of all....plus we are dealing with a 20-something year old player.  I would like to believe that what you stated is true but my experience shows that while this is business, there is still plenty of childish behavior behind people's motives.  I really believe Cousins wants out because he doesn't trust nor like Snyder or his lacheys....and Snyder is a petty, immature owner still holding a grudge against the Shanahans.  JMO.

The difference is you are believing all the media BS. Most of the Kyle/Kirk thing has never been confirmed. I guess it couldn't be possible that Kirk agent let a few things slip to "sources" to drum up support for his client? Sorry, that happens all the time.

You have already decided what you believe about Dan. That's your right. But I personally believe is that all this stuff you are calling immature and petty, is mostly media exaggeration, extreme extrapolation of minor facts to be more meaningful than they real are, and that most of it is contract negotiation posturing.

BTW: I am not saying it's not true. You could be 100% correct. I just don't buy it right now. Seems a bit overly dramatic and with a heavy dose of Dan Snyder hate allowing people to believe anything written that's negative and ignore any other possibility. I just prefer to keep an open mind to the process. If July 15th  comes and goes, then we know some of it is true.

Cousins just threw for the 15th most passing yards in NFL history.  The only current active players who have had mroe passing yards in a season are:

Brees

Brady

Stafford

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Manning (eli)

Notables not on the list:

rodgers

romo

rivers

luck

wilson

newton

Cousins is a proven passer of the football, and our GM/owner are dilly-dallying around trying to pinch pennies.  It's not every day a franchise has the opportunity to lock up a damn good football player at arguably the toughest position in sports.  And we have had the opportunity now TWICE (arguably three times), and are continuing to screw it up over some sort of ego grandstanding debacle that happened over three years ago.  And let's not forget the Shanny/RG3 debacle came about because of the front office, no one else.  We paid a king's ransom for RG3 and it didn't work.  Shanny was smart enough to get us Cousins, GMSM and Jay were smart enough to start him, and now the people in charge of keeping him around won't do it because their egos are more important than winning football games.  Pisses me off.  

Last year after turning down Cousins for less than $20 million, 3 years, no idea how much guaranteed by guessing maybe $25 million.....they go out and sign Josh Norman for $75 million, 5 years, $50 million guaranteed.

They paid all that money and still had a lousy defense. The defense was ranked number 28 in 2015 and again number 28 in 2016.  The signing didn't change anything

Meanwhile our offense goes from number 17 in 2015 to number 3 in 2016.

The one singular bright spot on this team for the past 2 years was the offensive passing game in which Cousins played a major role in....yet they deem him less important than a cornerback on a bottom 5 defense.  

Either the Redskins FO is the stupidest group of people on the planet....or there is some ulterior motive involved that no one is privy to.

Maybe Snyder's feeling are hurt because his new star player won't be his BFF......

The frustrating thing to me is that I would take Kirk + UDFA rotational DLineman over no Kirk + Stacy McGee or Terrell McClain, and that is not a slight on McGee or McClain, just that if I am given a certain amount of money to spend then that is what I think the majority of us would do

Also, I think the guarantee thing is ridiculous

I would offer a lot of the contract as guaranteed as well, because the bottom line is that even if Kirk has a down year this year, he is still going to be the 2018 starter and we'll hope it was just a bad year

If after that, it's clear that he is just not the guy anymore, then we are blowing **** up anyways and either playing a QB on a rookie deal pay scale or a cheaper veteran

The Seahawks competed fine with the Matt Flynn contract on the books and playing Russell Wilson, the Cowboys competed fine with Romo on the books and Dak playing

I just have no clue how you can watch Kirk play these last two years and not come to him and say, "Kirk, you are the mother ****ing man, you are our leader, you are the face of our franchise and we have to have you"

Part of that is also recognizing that Kirk may need that right now.  Everybody is motivated by different things, and it seems that Kirk wants a commitment made to him

Hell, I believe that if we had been over the top in our support for Kirk, he signs a very reasonable deal...obviously nothing ridiculously below market...and this is just a gut feel, but I believe you could say, "Kirk, you're our man for a long time, we want to return the Redskins to glory though, and we both know we need some defensive help, can we structure the contract this way...?" 

However, we have ****ed up at every possible stage

The only right move we have made in the whole Kirk Cousins saga is Jay and Scot standing on the table to let him start, everything after that has been wrong

42 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Cousins just threw for the 15th most passing yards in NFL history.  The only current active players who have had mroe passing yards in a season are:

Brees

Brady

Stafford

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Manning (eli)

Notables not on the list:

rodgers

romo

rivers

luck

wilson

newton

Cousins is a proven passer of the football, and our GM/owner are dilly-dallying around trying to pinch pennies.  It's not every day a franchise has the opportunity to lock up a damn good football player at arguably the toughest position in sports.  And we have had the opportunity now TWICE (arguably three times), and are continuing to screw it up over some sort of ego grandstanding debacle that happened over three years ago.  And let's not forget the Shanny/RG3 debacle came about because of the front office, no one else.  We paid a king's ransom for RG3 and it didn't work.  Shanny was smart enough to get us Cousins, GMSM and Jay were smart enough to start him, and now the people in charge of keeping him around won't do it because their egos are more important than winning football games.  Pisses me off.  

But Steven A Smith said he was padding his numbers.  Also he had HOF receivers to throw to, also he never won against a winning team, also...wait I need to dig some more counterpoints from trade him now because we now finally our elite QB is somewhere in the draft. :)

O yea I forgot.  He is a chock artist and will never be elite, and my all time favorite.  He has reach his ceiling, Like throwing for 5K yards 25TDs and 11 INT is a bad ceiling to reach.  LOL

Given everything that's transpired with this franchise, even before the fumbling of the Scott McCloughan situation over the past month, what really leads you to believe that Kirk wants to sign here?  Honestly, why would he?  And I don't mean that in a 'the sky is falling' kind of way.  I just mean that he controls his own destiny, to where he can pretty much go wherever he wants in a year.  Its clear he wants to be wanted.  Nothing about the way the Redskins have handled his situation dating back to the day he was drafted equates to them really loving him.  I'm sure Kirk likes Jay and the system, but other than that - what's stopping him from going to another coach like Shanahan that really likes him and vice versa?

Of all the mud that gets slung around during these situations, the one that sticks out the most to me, and has the most legitimate chance of being true is that Kirk will not sign a LTD with Bruce Allen.  That's a very specific rumor, coming at a time that is no coincidence.  I will be absolutely floored if Kirk signs a LTD with this team if Bruce Allen is still in charge. This situation has done nothing but get muddier over time and I just can't see anything that can transpire to clear it all up at this point. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't heard anyone else say 23 million a year is out there besides him.  Hope he's right.  Sheehan said he just got this information.  It's a 5 year, 100 million, 40 guaranteed.  The 40 guaranteed would square with what Keim said which is the guaranteed money part of the offer is low.

TK said the offer Sheehan and the rest keep quoting was from earlier in the year, but that the Skins came with a $23 mil/yr offer at the combine. I did notice some of the writers putting in mild disclaimers after that about not knowing when the $20 mil/yr was offered but it was the last one they knew of. No clue if TK is/was right with his info but he was direct and specific when he offered it up on here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-reportedly-interviewed-qb-prospects-ahead-of-possible-cousins-trade/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Cousins has officially signed his franchise tag , guaranteeing him $24 million on a one-year deal. But there are long-term concerns, with Cousins reportedly not thrilled about the possibility of inking a deal with Washington as long as Bruce Allen is still in charge of the purse strings.

Rumors have been percolating for weeks that Cousins wants out , with the logical destination for Cousins being San Francisco , where Cousins old offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan, just took over as head coach. The 49ers desperately need a quarterback and make sense as a landing spot for Cousins over the long haul. 

And it appears the Redskins understand the possibility of losing Cousins pretty well, with Eric Galko of the Sporting News reporting on Monday that Washington “interviewed a handful of quarterbacks multiple times” at the 2017 NFL combine. 

I had been told to hold off on breaking the news that Kirk Cousins to the 49ers was all but done, but it seems like it’s become well known in the industry. While it’s not completely a done deal, the Redskins interviewed a handful of quarterbacks multiple times at the Combine. I’d expect that, as long as one or two intrigued them enough, they’d be OK with trading Cousins. If they get the second overall pick, I’m confident it’ll be Mitch Trubisky. If they wait until round two, I’m confident (at this point) it’ll be Nathan Peterman.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Of all the mud that gets slung around during these situations, the one that sticks out the most to me, and has the most legitimate chance of being true is that Kirk will not sign a LTD with Bruce Allen.  That's a very specific rumor, coming at a time that is no coincidence.  

Russell and Paulsen refuted that as not being true after talking to multiple sources (and you have to assume they are sources connected to Cousins). For those two to say that, considering the narrative they pushed about Allen and Scot, gives me reason to ignore that particular rumor for the time being. Doesn't mean it's not true, but just because it coming out when it did wasn't a coincidence doesn't mean that the rumor is true.  "Sources" put out all sorts of stuff for all sorts of reasons.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

But for God's sake... if this doesn't get done. First franchise QB in decades at a time where the league is so heavily imbalanced towards that position and we screw it up. Empty stats or "it's the system", lol. So empty not a single QB out of the millions we've brought here in desperation could do it and none of the other guys came close operating the same system as well. A franchise guy we developed ourselves for the first time in ages. No one EVER lets these guys go. 

It would be the ultimate proof that we're being ran by one of the worst owners with one of the worst hiring processes in sports history. I'm almost at a point where I hope it happens so I can once and for all be relieved from ever expecting anything remotely resembling success from this organization. Just watch the games with little vested interest or care like I did mid-2013 through 2014. Much less stressful. 

God willing they get it done. And they actually hire someone legit at GM again, though I doubt that's even possible. But Kirk signing here would mean some semblance of competitiveness, though his and Jay's ceilings would likely forever be limited by their FO. 

I agree with everything you said.  The only thing that's keeping me from a meltdown is Kirk.  Jay's IMO a good coach, you give him a good QB with weapons and this team could still be competitive for years in spite of the dysfunction.  Assuming and its a big assumption that they let Jay do his thing and allow stability.

Yeah if the Kirk thing ultimately doesn't get done IMO its all on Bruce/Danny and its a debacle.  The two IMO key things that has drove this team to the basement year after year is the lack of having a true accomplished personnel guy making personnel decisions.  For the moment that's gone.  Worse yet, the Scot story seems to back what Shanny or others have complained about which personnel control is a mirage.  If they let Kirk go, then that's the kicker for them sabotaging everything that made the team finally seem normal and can operate like a top franchise.

I was among the people leading up to the tag deadline saying everyone cool your jets its just a negotiation and Kirk wants to be here.  I don't feel as confident now mainly for two reasons.  I trust Mike Jones from past reports more than anyone, he was on the bandwagon in January that they would get it done.  Since then he's gone way off that track and based on who he's talking to he doesn't think a long term deal happens.  The other reason is all the nonsense that's going on where I am sure every time Kirk turns on the TV, he ultimately hears a report about how the Redskins are dysfunctional with a mean spirited streak to how they do business.

Basically, Bruce so far it seems is playing the hard driving negotiator who at best we can say he ultimately gives Kirk a market deal and worse lets him walk when he doesn't meet Bruce's low ball offer.   The problem of just letting this all linger is it presumes that none of this ultimately bothers Kirk.  That's a risk that I'd prefer they don't take.  Look at it from Kirk's point of view -- you wonder if the Redskins have their act together, you keep seeing reports that Danny/Bruce are bad guys and they will never get their act together -- while those same people are playing hard ball in negotiations and you are annoyed at them and it gets worse each day.

If Bruce-Dan's notion is we will wear Kirk down right to the wire on July 15th they are taking a major chance because the bottom line is Kirk has to be sold on the organization, he can just say no and likely move on.  So I am not sure giving Kirk 4 more months of low ball offers along with in all likelihood a slew of bad stories on the Redskins is going to set the mood for Kirk signing the long term deal. 

People bring up Von Miller but I think the difference is Miller was coming off a recent Superbowl, Denver is considered a well run organization, Von didn't have the guy who drafted him coaching another team giving him the wink wink, hey we will pay you.  And if I recall he didn't go through this 2 years in a row but maybe I am wrong on that.   I think the problem with Kirk's situation is the same people playing hardball with him are also being lampooned around the country (fairly or unfairly) as clowns.  That's a bad one-two punch.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That guaranteed money is always certainly 50 percent short.

Totally agree. I'd consider it insulting in the circumstance. If you want him it has got to be north of 57mil gtd. I think that's obvious.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

People bring up Von Miller but I think the difference is Miller was coming off a recent Superbowl, Denver is considered a well run organization, Von didn't have the guy who drafted him coaching another team giving him the wink wink, hey we will pay you.  And if I recall he didn't go through this 2 years in a row but maybe I am wrong on that.   I think the problem with Kirk's situation is the same people playing hardball with him are also being lampooned around the country (fairly or unfairly) as clowns.  That's a bad one-two punch.

Situations like Von Miller with talk of sitting out, etc. completely don't relate.  I think many fans here simply like these comparisons because they have a happy ending.  While Von Miller is no doubt an elite game changer, he's not a QB.  This stuff just doesn't happen anywhere else with QBs that throw for 5K.  They pay the money and figure out how to build around that salary later. 

What really is confusing is that their cap situation is fantastic. They could guarantee $100 million over 4 years and not have it impact them negatively in any way. They need to spend the money anyway.

And Kirk knows all this. I know athletes always talk about contracts in terms of "respect." It's typically silly.

However, this is the one instance out of 100 where the contract offers actually are showing a lack of respect.

Archived