Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Not sure how many rookie managers won the WS in their first stint. Is Martinez really going to be the factor that takes the Nationals over the top, especially when the most recent failure was not blamed on Dusty Baker?

Dusty gave away game 3 by bringing in Solis and leaving Werth in LF. Game 5 was not entirely his fault, but as Joe Torre made perfectly clear last week, he could have asked the umps to get a rules check from NY and the 5th inning would have been over with the Baez backswing. So he had a hand in losing game 5. 

Just now, Popeman38 said:

Dusty gave away game 3 by bringing in Solis and leaving Werth in LF. Game 5 was not entirely his fault, but as Joe Torre made perfectly clear last week, he could have asked the umps to get a rules check from NY and the 5th inning would have been over with the Baez backswing. So he had a hand in losing game 5. 

False. The Nationals hitting woes prevented them from winning the series earlier than they should have. If they don't go cold Game 1 we might have a different narrative. 

FYI no rookie manager has won the World Series since 2001 

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really want to see what Bob Nightengale and Thom Loverro have to say...

We will see what happens when the season starts

I’m interested in learning $ per year and whether they ever contacted Girardi. 

If Martinez is making like $2-3m/yr, they never reached out to Girardi, and he ends up coaching somewhere else this year... 

You can’t roll the dice on a new manager in Harper’s walk year and pick a zero experience guy over a WS champ because of money. That simply cannot happen.

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

If Martinez is making like $2-3m/yr, they never reached out to Girardi, and he ends up coaching somewhere else this year... 

You can’t roll the dice on a new manager in Harper’s walk year and pick a zero experience guy over a WS champ because of money. That simply cannot happen.

Yeah, this move has disaster written all over it. 

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

False. The Nationals hitting woes prevented them from winning the series earlier than they should have. If they don't go cold Game 1 we might have a different narrative. 

It's a little of both. Dusty did **** up a few times in the series. With his pitching moves. With his subs on D. Let's not allow this to become a Shanahan thing. The hitting wasn't what it needed to be. That is true. The lineups also didn't change when they weren't hitting. So.....

I'm very curious about the coaches he brings in. Smart rookie managers will bring in guys who are experienced. 

29 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

The hitting wasn't what it needed to be. That is true. The lineups also didn't change when they weren't hitting. So.....

I'm very curious about the coaches he brings in. Smart rookie managers will bring in guys who are experienced. 

Lineups didnt change?

And guys like Maddux and Lopes were top notch coaches who won’t be back and won’t be replaced by someone as accomplished. 

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Lineups didnt change?

And guys like Mattox and Lopes were top notch coaches who won’t be back and won’t be replaced by someone as accomplished. 

Batting order. Getting Hendricks/Lind more ABs.

and it's Maddux. Not Mattox. Not Matlock. Yes,  that loss stings. Looking forward to seeing some new blood in other spots. 

23 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Batting order. Getting Hendricks/Lind more ABs.

and it's Maddux. Not Mattox. Not Matlock. Yes,  that loss stings. Looking forward to seeing some new blood in other spots. 

Arguments can be made for Hendricks over Werth, but Dusty stuck with Werth and Jayson got on base what 3 or 4 times in game 5? Lind off the bench was correct and he got a big hit pinch hitting. 

Fixed spelling, blame lack of sleep :)

I think losing Lopes hurts a lot. Trea was turning into a legitimate big league base stealer, not just relying on his speed. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Unless Girardi has no interest in managing this year...or he would have been a terrible fit. Either apply.

33 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Arguments can be made for Hendricks over Werth, but Dusty stuck with Werth and Jayson got on base what 3 or 4 times in game 5? Lind off the bench was correct and he got a big hit pinch hitting. 

Fixed spelling, blame lack of sleep :)

I think losing Lopes hurts a lot. Trea was turning into a legitimate big league base stealer, not just relying on his speed. 

I think the point was that Dusty ****ed up a few times and the players themselves didn't deliver enough when they needed to. Beyond Stras and Max's starts. We can find issues all over the place. 

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Not sure how many rookie managers won the WS in their first stint. Is Martinez really going to be the factor that takes the Nationals over the top, especially when the most recent failure was not blamed on Dusty Baker?

Life goes on after 2018. The Martinez hire is not for next year so much as the long term growth and identity of the team. 

It's telling that he's supposedly receiving a 3 year deal, not 2; I believe they want to make a real commitment this time around with youth in mind. It's important that this huge group of young players contributing have continuity in their coaching, and while I disagree with this being the ideal year to make that move, it did need to be made eventually. 

They had a lead in game 3 with a chance to go up 2-1. They won game 4 5-0. They scored 8 in game 5. 

They lost game 1. Yes, they failed to hit in game 1. They outscored the Cubs in the series. If Dusty uses 7-8-9 in game 3 and replaces Werth for defensive purposes we likely win game 3. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Unless Girardi has no interest in managing this year...or he would have been a terrible fit. Either apply.

Barry S says they inquired but hinted he may sit out this year. I just wanted to make sure they at least reached out before signing Martinez. 

Very embracing of analytics which is what the stat nerds were clamoring for. We'll see if it pays off. 

Even if it does, rookie managers winning the WS without prior experience is very difficult. Even HInsch in Houston and Roberts in LA didn't win it all their first year. Roberts went to the WS his second. 

For a team that is "all in" for 2018, that does worry me a bit

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Very embracing of analytics which is what the stat nerds were clamoring for. We'll see if it pays off. 

Even if it does, rookie managers winning the WS without prior experience is very difficult. Even HInsch in Houston and Roberts in LA didn't win it all their first year. Roberts went to the WS his second. 

For a team that is "all in" for 2018, that does worry me a bit

Reach much?

Roberts made the NLCS his first year and the WS his 2nd. Hinsch made the WS in his 3rd year.  You ever stop to think that most managers spend their first couple seasons managing bad baseball teams?  Most good teams don't need new managers. Most team are more like the Phillies than the Nats/Yanks when hiring a manager.

Archived