Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Patriots practice what some call "First Principles" and don't follow what the "League/MARKET" tells them they're suppose to do. This applies with treating each off-season, draft and game as it's own entity.

Amazing man. I hate to be the one state the obvious about the Pats being great, but for them to reverse engineer like they have the past few years is brilliant.

Now what are pundits going to say about making trades and paying high dollar for free agents like the Pats have of late? 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed. I will actually be shocked if he makes the 53 this year.

I still have hope for Steven Daniels.  Take it for what it's worth, but he was PFF's top graded linebacker against the run (and top graded overall) in college football last year.  We could use him against the Cowboys at the very least.

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Patriots practice what some call "First Principles" and don't follow what the "League/MARKET" tells them they're suppose to do. This applies with treating each off-season, draft and game as it's own entity.

Amazing man. I hate to be the one state the obvious about the Pats being great, but for them to reverse engineer like they have the past few years is brilliant.

Now what are pundits going to say about making trades and paying high dollar for free agents like the Pats have of late? 

Yeah it just shows how silly people look who say everything has to be done through the draft and nothing through FA. That is so illogical as you literally handcuff one arm behind your back with that approach. Our big problem was signing guys who were 29+ to 5 years deals and big names with no regard with how they would fit, and trading picks for guys that had a talent level of guys that could have been signed in FA.

The Patriots traded picks, but got Ealy and Cooks. Cooks they traded the last pick in the 1st for a 23 year old.... In all honestly I think anyone in the bottom 10 picks would have done well trading their first for Cooks given his talent, age and production

What are the cap savings if we cut Ricky Jean Francois?   I'd love to somehow fit Hankins and Logan in up front.  That would be a pretty decent Defensive line combined with our other 2 additions. We can also cut Lauvao and Matt Jones, renegotiate or cut D. Hall.  Draft an ILB and a FS and that would be a sweet defense.  Add a RB (Cook?) and a LG in the draft and we should field a pretty competive team. 

Thought I read that Ricky was like $4M.  Same with Hall and close to Lavauo.  Many I ope Arie can supplant him soon or move Long there and start Sullivan at C.

I too would like both Hankins and Logan especially if Logan is looking for only a 1yr deal.   Either way we should draft some DL since these guys might be gone after a year.

16 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Pats are gearing up for one last 2-3 year run. They know time is limited. Mortgaging the future for some pieces to win over the next year or two. They are pushing all in

Every move is made with the future in mind though. They appear to never be "gearing up" for anything, just ready to pounce on opportunities to improve the team each day. 

Not being ROMANTIC with how things were done by others or in previous years is so critical.  I actually believe the Browns are on their way to doing a lot of this as well. Not from a numbers standpoint, but more of a business perspective and viewing things as assets.

Who cares what our competitors or market says we're suppose to do things.

Awesome stuff!

4 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Thought I read that Ricky was like $4M.  Same with Hall and close to Lavauo.  Many I ope Arie can supplant him soon or move Long there and start Sullivan at C.

I too would like both Hankins and Logan especially if Logan is looking for only a 1yr deal.   Either way we should draft some DL since these guys might be gone after a year.

They have to keep a few leaders, Id imagine. 

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I still have hope for Steven Daniels.  Take it for what it's worth, but he was PFF's top graded linebacker against the run (and top graded overall) in college football last year.  We could use him against the Cowboys at the very least.

Is Daniels even on the roster? I thought we released him.

Chicago desperate!

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Markus Wheaton's contract with the Bears amounts to a one-year deal at $6 million.

The full contract is for two years at $11 million with $5 million guaranteed, and apparently $6 million in year one. It sounds like the second year on Wheaton's deal amounts to a team option. So the Bears gave Wheaton a deal similar to Brandon Marshall's, who landed a two-year, $11 million contract from the Giants with another $1 million available through incentives. Reports out of Chicago had the team struggling to woo free agents due to organizational instability coming off a 3-13 season. The Bears were forced to severely overpay backup-caliber players Wheaton, CB Marcus Cooper, TE Dion Sims, and QB Mike Glennon.

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Yeah it just shows how silly people look who say everything has to be done through the draft and nothing through FA. That is so illogical as you literally handcuff one arm behind your back with that approach. Our big problem was signing guys who were 29+ to 5 years deals and big names with no regard with how they would fit, and trading picks for guys that had a talent level of guys that could have been signed in FA.

Rebuilding is something that was done before the salary cap was implemented, basically, teams become good when they get a good QB and everything in between is just adding talent until you find that QB.

With free agency the contract cycles are basically 3 years so good luck on some heavy rebuild, better get it done within that first cycle or you will start losing players before your "rebuild" is done.

Using free agency is a must, I don't see how a team who lacks talent can strictly rely on the draft, if that was the case it would take 5 + years.

Archived