Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Problem I have is. the guy hasnt really done a good job. His FA aquisitions have been utter garbage. And his drafts have been pedestrian at best.

His 2015 draft was good one and his 2016 draft just finished their rookie seasons. I felt better about those drafts than any of the previous 5+ drafts before that (even 2012, at the time right after the draft). 

Gee I wonder if Riggo or Sonny or the Hogs ever drank on the job???

If there was twitter and cell phone cameras back then, the shed would be under ATF watch.   :)

Anyone ever seen Mad Men or hell the pic of Davis signing his deal in Bruce's office with the booze in the background?

So Scot was the John Daly of GMs.  Daly won a damn Major didn't he?

just interesting how this all came to such a sudden ending AFTER hearing of pitchforks at the park 12 hrs from now AND the fact that KC wants out no matter the offer we give him.

Bruce and Danny in pure CYA mode and Scot is the scapegoat which regardless if you're in their court or not, you MUST see the timing an pure sophmoric BS.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Problem I have is. the guy hasnt really done a good job. His FA aquisitions have been utter garbage. And his drafts have been pedestrian at best.

Norman was a great signing, the rest were small level signings done because the team wasn't close to competing so why blow big dollars just to bring big guys in? Made total sense. Also, how you can judge his draft classes after 2 and 1 seasons is ridiculous. Typical viewpoint of someone who doesn't understand that you can't build a championship contender overnight. 

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

His 2015 draft was good one and his 2016 draft just finished their rookie seasons. I felt better about those drafts than any of the previous 5+ drafts before that (even 2012, at the time right after the draft). 

You felt good about a first round pick that didnt play? How about a 6th round pick that got cut to go to practice squad and promptly got claimed by another team. His drafts have been average at best.

17 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Norman was a great signing, the rest were small level signings done because the team wasn't close to competing so why blow big dollars just to bring big guys in? Made total sense. Also, how you can judge his draft classes after 2 and 1 seasons is ridiculous. Typical viewpoint of someone who doesn't understand that you can't build a championship contender overnight. 

Culliver and Paea among others were not low level contracts. And I have been a football coach for over 20 years. and played for 13. How many years do you have in the game?

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

One player already has so.....

ONE PLAYER CLAIMS HE "THINKS" HE WAS DRUNK.  I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY FIRING A GUY FOR DRINKING ON THE JOB.  BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SITE GAMES AND LOCKER ROOM, HOW IS HE FIRED IN MARCH?

Just now, Burger35 said:

ONE PLAYER CLAIMS HE "THINKS" HE WAS DRUNK.  I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY FIRING A GUY FOR DRINKING ON THE JOB.  BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SITE GAMES AND LOCKER ROOM, HOW IS HE FIRED IN MARCH?

Please cool it with the caps lock homie.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Probably a smart choice calling bull**** on Jones. Lets not forget the history of the guy we are talking about.

I'm sorry, but your statement is just grade A ridiculous.

His 2015 draft was widely regarded as one of the strongest in the league. His 2016 draft was, admittedly, a weak one at the moment...but I'm sure you're one of those that slobber over the 2014 draft, which is a shining example of why judging a draft as "pedestrian" 1 year out is idiotic.

His FA acquisitions have not been garbage, but rather a mixed bags. Did he make any giant splash, major hits? Only one, with Norman. But unless someone has an ignorant idea that the only way FA isn't "garbage" is if you get an all-pro level player, you can't really classify Scot's tenure in that fashion. UDFA contributors were found both in 2016 and 2016 with the likes of Quinton Dunbar, Rob Kelley, and Maurice Harris. He had mid-season pickups that were key in our playoff run, such as Will Blackmon in 2015. 

Some of his stop gap signings didn't turn into all-pros, but they were legitimate stop-gaps that did manage to hold down starting positions for us initially. However, perhaps the best thing was the way in which his free agent misses hurt us, or more specifically often didn't hurt us. The reality is if you look at nearly any team in the NFL, there are free agent misses nearly every year for them. The question isn't if you're going to miss, it's when and how you're going to deal with it. The vast majority of his misses were either on short term "prove it" contracts we could easily move on from, or had easy outs for us (such as with Culliver).

His drafting thus far has been, at worst, above average. His free agency choices have been average to below average, but gets at least a passing grade due to the fact that his misses have not been damaging misses. 

None of which is even touching the organizational structure, mentality, stability, and respect that grew very early into his tenure and their value....or even touching on the idea that some of those free agency decisions may've been made with significant handcuffs placed on him by Allen.

2 minutes ago, Burger35 said:

IF HE WAS DRUNK AT GAMES AND LOCKER ROOM WHY FIRE HIM IN MARCH?  ITS BS

The article said that he had received treatment for his problem, seems like they tried to help him.

I don't know if this is all true or not, and I've been a big supporter of Scott. But if it is true, do you really want a drunk running the team?

It's easy to be trite and say yes, better than what we have, but forget the hyperbole and think about it honestly. A drunk assessing free agents and draft choices, c'mon.

1 minute ago, London Kev said:

The article said that he had received treatment for his problem, seems like they tried to help him.

I don't know if this is all true or not, and I've been a big supporter of Scott. But if it is true, do you really want a drunk running the team?

It's easy to be trite and say yes, better than what we have, but forget the hyperbole and think about it honestly. A drunk assessing free agents and draft choices, c'mon.

Better a drunk Scot than a sober Danny or Bruce or Vinny

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You felt good about a first round pick that didnt play? How about a 6th round pick that got cut to go to practice squad and promptly got claimed by another team. His drafts have been average at best.

Culliver and Paea among others were not low level contracts. And I have been a football coach for over 20 years. and played for 13. How many years do you have in the game

Scot wanted Reiter to stick around on the roster but Bruce insisted upon keeping Kory. 

Culliver and Paea were low level because the way the contracts were structured, the dead cap hit was low outside of year one.

Just because you were a coach doesn't mean you are entitled to start using that as an opportunity to say "I know more than you" because that's garbage. If you choose to give up on Doctson and want to declare he was a wasted pick then I hope you don't think you have the right to stand up for him when he puts up big numbers without admitting you were wrong. That pretty much goes for the Fullers, Cravens, Preston Smiths, Crowders that Scot drafted. 

11 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

You ppl hate Snyer and Allen so much you're excusing drinking on the job because it "didn't affect performance"??

WTF? You think this is Mad Men?

"Yeah he was drinking but it didn't affect his driving! This DUI is bull****!"

If I drink on the job I'm getting fired. It's unprofessional and unacceptable. Doesn't matter if my colleagues like me and think it's not a big deal. Grown ups have to make tough decisions, like enforcing standards on professionalism. Very unfortunate it didn't work out. But not blaming this on the FO.

1. Who's actually posted something defending drinking on the job? Posts are coming at a frenetic pace so perhaps I missed it

2. People upset with the Redskins doesn't necessarily mean they are excusing drinking on the job; it could be that they simply do not believe the leaks coming out from the Redskins

3. Even if you believe that McCloughan was drinking on the job and showing up drunk and was doing a lot of things wrong, that doesn't preclude the person from also believing Allen or Snyder were also worthy of condemnation here. It's not this binary "Scot good / Allen bad" or vise versa. It's absolutely possible for them to have both F'ed up and deserve crap.

I still think its funny that the guy literally got fired from his last two jobs for this exact thing but suddenly since its the Redskins its now a power struggle. Ugh. Anyways I didn't think he was a terrible and actually liked him but he certainly was not god like some make him out to be. Now that its over we can focus on the rest of free agency and hopefully snare one of those big DT's still on the market.

4 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

His FA acquisitions have not been garbage, but rather a mixed bags. Did he make any giant splash, major hits? Only one, with Norman. But unless someone has an ignorant idea that the only way FA isn't "garbage" is if you get an all-pro level player, you can't really classify Scot's tenure in that fashion. UDFA contributors were found both in 2016 and 2016 with the likes of Quinton Dunbar, Rob Kelley, and Maurice Harris. He had mid-season pickups that were key in our playoff run, such as Will Blackmon in 2015. 

I will give you the Blackmon and also the Foster mid season signings. They were very good. Norman fell into his lap. The rest of his FA signings were trash. Culliver. Paea and a long list of gatbage lays in his wake. 

His drafts were AVERAGE as I said. He inherited all of the talent on the offense except Crowder (which was a good pick).

1 minute ago, London Kev said:

I understand but alcohol treatment at what point?  He never left the team I mean it seems fishy.  And I'm a basketball fan, the Bulls fired Thibodaeu (think thats how you spell it) and you found out a month later it was just a ego thing with forman and him over control.

Archived