Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ACQUIRE C BRYAN STORK

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

August 24, 2016

REDSKINS ACQUIRE C BRYAN STORK

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have acquired center Bryan Stork from the New England Patriots in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

Stork (6-4, 310) initially entered the NFL as a fourth-round pick (105th overall) of the Patriots in the 2014 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 21 career regular season games with 17 starts in addition to starting all four postseason games in which he has played.

Last season, Stork appeared in eight regular season games with six starts – five at center and one at right tackle – after missing the first seven games of the season while on the Patriots’ Reserve/Injured list with a designation to return. He also started both postseason contests for New England at center.

As a rookie in 2014, Stork played in 13 regular season games with 11 starts at center. He also started both postseason contests in which he appeared, including the Patriots’ Super Bowl XLIX victory against the Seattle Seahawks.

Stork played collegiately at Florida State, where he started 41 of the 51 contests in which he appeared. In 2013, he was the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, awarded annually to the nation’s top center.

Stork, 25, attended Vero Beach (Fla.) H.S. He was born Nov. 15, 1990.

-REDSKINS-

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Press release says "undisclosed" pick. I've read that it was a conditional 4th and I've also read that it was a 7th? Has any of this been elucidated?

TK accidentally said conditional 4th, it was conditional 7th I believe. 

Past concussions issues may be a concern. Hopefully it will work out.

Woops

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports newly acquired Redskins C Bryan Stork is "weighing retirement."

Ex-Redskins TE Chris Cooley sent the Internet into a frenzy Wednesday when he tweeted "Actually Stork is retiring. Huh? This just got interesting." A number of beat writers chimed in including Mike Jones of the Washington Post, who confirmed from a source that Stork was "possibly" calling it quits. If Stork does decide to hang it up, it would be a dramatic turn of events after opening Patriots camp as a starter. It might take a while for this situation to resolve itself.

1 hour ago, campfodder said:

Please cut Korey & Josh

I don't see Stork walking in and starting in the next two weeks. It's a very difficult position to just walk in and start playing. He's not pushing Kory out just yet. And if he does at some point, then cut Kory, ummm whose your backup Center? Right now those options are somewhat limited. Long might be the closest but he's barely played the position.

I wouldn't expect Stork to be able to start and go 4 quarters by Pittsburgh. Maybe a few weeks into the season if they can ease him in playing time wise.

1 hour ago, Johns Bass said:

I don't see Stork walking in and starting in the next two weeks. It's a very difficult position to just walk in and start playing. He's not pushing Kory out just yet. And if he does at some point, then cut Kory, ummm whose your backup Center? Right now those options are somewhat limited. Long might be the closest but he's barely played the position.

I wouldn't expect Stork to be able to start and go 4 quarters by Pittsburgh. Maybe a few weeks into the season if they can ease him in playing time wise.

Agree, there is no way KL is let go due to this move - at least not right away. This speaks more to what they think about the options behind him than KL himself. However, JL can consider himself let go. Not sure he makes the cuts to 75.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Agree, there is no way KL is let go due to this move - at least not right away. This speaks more to what they think about the options behind him than KL himself. However, JL can consider himself let go. Not sure he makes the cuts to 75.

I agree with your sediment on JL but I think the FO will hang on to him until they're sure Byron is locked in, probably past the 75 but it would be awesome sooner. It would mean Bryon is well ahead of the learning curve. Until Stork is ready at least as a #2, I think everyone is still employed. But if would appear that Josh is on the bubble. 

1 minute ago, Johns Bass said:

I agree with your sediment on JL but I think the FO will hang on to him until they're sure Byron is locked in, probably past the 75 but it would be awesome sooner. It would mean Bryon is well ahead of the learning curve. Until Stork is ready at least as a #2, I think everyone is still employed. But if would appear that Josh is on the bubble. 

Actually, I think JL is gone no matter. Long played well enough and they have a few other young guys. JL has shown he is useless. This move just helps him out the door.

Good point. And if something went sideways later they might be able to get Josh back. Unless he were to signs with the Falcons. 

Kory is definitely a better starter or backup than Josh at Center plus he can backup at guard where they're fairly deep right now. I think they get back about $3.5m if JL gets cut but haven't looked at it in awhile. They may not be cash strapped at the moment but depending on what kind of big game hunting they might do for any FA, cash is good. 

25 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

Kurt

Scott

Byron

Bryon

Malcomb

Disclaimer-I live in Massachusetts and have nothing to listen to but local radio covering everything Patriots...

Acquiring Stork should be a real coup for the Redskins. When healthy, he is a sizable upgrade at the Center position. The concussions are a concern, but that is why you DON'T cut Cory AND Josh. He is also a bit of a knucklehead on the field and prone to disturbances in the locker-room and with the media  (not that I really care about that, but it comes into play with regards to PR issues). Those are the downsides. But he is 315 lbs and a BULLY. Stork, Lavao/Long and Scherff should be able to form a very formidable, beefy and downright NASTY middle of the O-line and we already know what the Redskins have on the ends in Williams and (to a lesser extent) Moses. This acquisition should have Matt Jones grinning. 

I was hoping the Redskins would draft this guy coming out of college and then when listening to the local NE media talking about how important he was once inserted as the starter at Center en route to their Super Bowl win over Seattle, I was infatuated with this guy's potential. Then the injuries and concussions happened.

My hope is that he is healthy, angry, and motivated to show that the Patriots made a mistake by moving on from him, because if that is the case, the Redskins just got one HELL of a player at a position that NEEDED an upgrade.

Agree with others that said we need to keep Kory and he is the likely starter for the first few games.

Given all of the drama around this acquisition today plus the fact that the Pats were unceremoniously willing to get rid of him despite his talent (red flag) and I also wouldn't mind making him beat out Kory for the starting spot. He has to prove that he's committed to the game, committed to the Skins, and is motivated to be a team player and not a distraction. Hopefully, on the latter point, our strong locker room can keep him in line.

All that said, this is huge if he pans out. Arguably our weakest position on the team.

I disagree with those saying that he won't start for a few games.  If healthy, I think he comes in and starts right away.  We didn't pick this guy up to make him come and prove his worth before getting him on the field.  The talent disparity is simply too great.

This is the NFL.  It's about winning games, not making sure everyone's feelings don't get hurt.  

Either way, I hope this move has a positive impact on our team.  Nice roll of the dice by SM. :)

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I disagree with those saying that he won't start for a few games.  If healthy, I think he comes in and starts right away.  We didn't pick this guy up to make him come and prove his worth before getting him on the field.  The talent disparity is simply too great.

This is the NFL.  It's about winning games, not making sure everyone's feelings don't get hurt.  

Either way, I hope this move has a positive impact on our team.  Nice roll of the dice by SM. :)

This pretty much goes against everything we preach, though. He will compete like everyone else, and (maybe) dealing a conditional 7th rounder for him isn't going to change that. He needs to learn the calls and they need to see how he looks. 

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This pretty much goes against everything we preach, though. He will compete like everyone else, and (maybe) dealing a conditional 7th rounder for him isn't going to change that. He needs to learn the calls and they need to see how he looks. 

The guy could beat out Kory with his eyes closed.  He's got two and a half weeks to learn the calls, suit him up and get him on the field.  He was the starting center on a Superbowl winning team, I don't think he's coming here to compete for a roster spot.

I understand the other side of the argument, again, I just think the talent disparity is too great.  

Usually, things like this are too good to be true.  I'm hoping that there's nothing more to this story, but it's hard to fathom the Pats letting him go for a 7th rounder if there wasn't more to it.  Maybe he's just a hot head.  We shall see.

IMO the OL should be the five meanest MOFOs on the field. For me his nasty streak/fights/headbutts etc is a positive not a negative... The job of the OL is to open holes and wear the defense down so in the 4th quarter you can drive dump trucks through the defense... we are moving in the right direction for sure getting this type of players.

The goal for the skins OL should be no.1 in the pancake stat line...

6 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The guy could beat out Kory with his eyes closed.  He's got two and a half weeks to learn the calls, suit him up and get him on the field.  He was the starting center on a Superbowl winning team, I don't think he's coming here to compete for a roster spot.

I understand the other side of the argument, again, I just think the talent disparity is too great.  

Usually, things like this are too good to be true.  I'm hoping that there's nothing more to this story, but it's hard to fathom the Pats letting him go for a 7th rounder if there wasn't more to it.  Maybe he's just a hot head.  We shall see.

I think the more too it here, is that they had a better option behind him and this guy's concussion history is worrisome.  I can see a scenario where this guy has to re-retire before the season is out.

6 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is a bit of an exaggeration. KL is taking a lot of abuse here, much of it not deserved. He is not the best C in the league by any means. But saying this guy is that much better when he could not even keep his starting position sounds more like you just don't like KL.

With KL playing this team was #1 in rushing last year. He and SL went out almost exactly the same time. Yet everyone gives SL all the credit for the good running and KL all the blame for any rushing problems! He is also taking a beating for the GB game. He was out the entire season till that lat game and came into a PO game! Guys are rusty 1st gm back, even a couple when they are on line.

KL will be the starting C at the start of the season. There is no way Stork comes in as the starting C with 2 weeks left in PS. You sign this guy now on a flyer with the expectation that he is depth for right now allowing you to move on JL (Do all Oline names start with L?), and maybe, maybe he breaks into the starting lineup later in the season.

Archived