Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bram Weinstein is coming home, and will replace Tony Kornheiser at ESPN 980

TK

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/07/11/bram-weinstein-is-coming-home-and-will-replace-tony-kornheiser-at-espn-980/

Bram Weinstein is coming home, and will replace Tony Kornheiser at ESPN 980

The idea of coming home, Bram Weinstein wrote after he left ESPN, “has been gnawing at me for some time.” He wanted to raise his two young children in his native Washington, and he wanted to get back into the D.C. sports mix. But for more than a year after his departure from the network, Weinstein was unable to find the right fit, and was unsure whether that homecoming would ever happen.

Then came a perfect confluence of events: a lineup shakeup at ESPN 980, the departure of Tony Kornheiser to run his own podcast and a midday opening at the station Weinstein had once interned for while he was a college student at American. The result? The “Bram Weinstein Show” will debut on ESPN 980 on July 25, running 11-1 on weekdays and giving Weinstein that homecoming he’s been dreaming about.

“I’m beyond excited,” Weinstein said by phone Monday morning. “It was always my first choice to come back here. It was just finding the right thing, and I’m just really fortunate that it’s worked out.”

More at link

I don't know whether I'm more excited about hearing Bram locally again or that I don't have to hear Kornholer yelling "Get off my lawn" every 30 seconds.

Nick

Kornheiser was unbearable the last several years.  Always hated taking an early lunch because of him.

I am a huge Bram guy.  He's one of the few at the four letter that would respond to you on twitter.  Especially if he peeped some DC sports stuff in your avi.

I used to go home for lunch, it's about a 5-10 minute drive and would listen to Kornheiser every so often.  I think I might have actually heard him talk about sports....twice.  

I like him and Wilbon, surprisingly, on PTI.  But he blows on the radio.

Glad to hear Bram is coming back. 

Kornheiser was unbearable the last several years. Always hated taking an early lunch because of him.

I am a huge Bram guy. He's one of the few at the four letter that would respond to you on twitter. Especially if he peeped some DC sports stuff in your avi.

I thought the Kornheiser during the 11-1 lunch break was brutal. That 10-12 slot was perfect for his show.

I thought the Kornheiser during the 11-1 lunch break was brutal. That 10-12 slot was perfect for his show.

During football season it was awful.

He'd come in and open the newspaper (you could hear him) and then he'd admit he didn't watch the whole game and half-ass his opinions.

I just have a huge problem with a guy who does no show prep, and when I listen to local sports talk I want an invested host to give me his/her take.

Like him a lot on PTI, but his radio show was awful, man.  Just my take...

I used to enjoy watching him with Larry Michael on Redskins Nation. Brought a much more balanced approach to the show, though sometimes he got annoying when he'd really go on a rant in his high-pitched voice, lol.

Glad to see him back, I wonder what happened?

A little off topic but I remeber when I was a kid, Tony also did a bit in the Sunday style section of the Washington post (if memory serves) that was just a little spot about random crap. I used to really enjoy that. Does he still do that? Anyone else remeber it?

I've been wondering what they'll do with that slot with Tony gone.  I couldn't be happier to hear that it's going to be Bram.

I'll be listening.

I think the station really cleaned up it's programming by getting Galdi on in the morning also.  

ESPN 980 is going to be good from start to finish for me now, I enjoy listening to almost everyone on that station.

Great move from a Redskins news junkie perspective.  They are moving away from a "sports" personality who appears to care the least about the Redskins by a mile among "sports" radio personalities or football period for that matter -- I think if it were completely up to him he wouldn't even mention the Redskins on his show at all versus his current occasional nod  -- to going to Bram who is a Redskins-football junkie. 

Archived