Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden cite positives after Redskins loss

gclark84

I just want to know one thing everyone? What kind of mind altering drugs are they giving out at redskins park?  Please somebody tell me how in the hell you can take away ANY positives from what we saw last night!

I was totally embarrassed and not really sure how these two came to find any positive vibes last night? Maybe because the bus got to Giant stadium safely? or they did not forget their uniforms? or that they did not get lost on the way home? Please someone explain to me how a team that was torched last year 45-14 and then telling us things will be different this time is down 25-6 with no hope in the 4th qtr last night can cite any positives other than we were not shut out!

Bad teams always seem to cite positives in humiliating losses. Maybe I am wrong here but that's how I feel. At least tell us the truth that we are not good enough on a weekly basis yet and until we have a QB that steps up we have no shot at winning consistently or making the playoffs or beating a good team with a viable QB...Personally and I believe most of us know this already no such QB exists on this team.

I had to add this note...We were dominated and blown out and Jay and Kirk find positives..Just baffled at what kind of world are they living in? I am guessing it is some kind of alternate universe were bad is good and good is bad.. They are definatley in a different universe then the rest of us!

I can tell you this, no Real Redskin fan wants to hear the coach and QB citing positives after a blowout! I know I don't...This shows more of the same. Joe Gibbs the first time around would be impossible to live with. I remember the body bag game in 1990(I was there) and we were beaten and humiliated not only on the field but in the Philly Papers.

Joe Gibbs was seething and I knew without a doubt that if we met philly again and in Philly we would destroy them. We meet them again in Jan 91 in the playoffs and kicked their ass!  Joe Gibbs teams as far as I know never cited positives after a defeat! What a disgrace!!!!! 

I guess Jay and Kirk want us to believe things will get better because their jobs are on the line. maybe jay should throw a few things in the locker room...I knew last night following the loss that they would once again cite positive things from the game and tell us we are moving in the right direction...What a universe Jay and kirk live in huh?

JUST WIN Jay and Kirk and let the fans cite the positives from winning!

Maybe because if they got down after every loss like it does around here, the team would implode.

Like it did last night? After everyone being so jacked because they beat the Rams? Even the media talking about the team having a legit shot in the division? 

Since 2009:

4-12

6-10

5-11

10-6

3-13

4-12

The only time we DIDN'T implode during that time was when we were at 3-6 in 2012 and Shanny said to the media that it was time to play for pride and to see who would stay on the team, basically giving up on the season. And the team didn't implode, but rallied.

Maybe it's time to put some knees to some sacks. 

You can pull out positives from almost any game. I don't think you can pull out a ton from this one or as much as they're trying to present, but there are some:

1. Reed continues to look like a great pass catching TE. He routinely was getting open and would've had an even bigger game with better QB play.

2. I think the starting line did very well. There were a number of times this week where they did what I've begged to see them do for some time; allow a QB to sit in a pocket without HAVING to "shift" or "slide" or anything else. Kirk had a lot of time back there at times, enough in some instances that made me go "wow, he has ages". Even after the injury, the young right side still looked very good.

3. Ross's kick return is the best special teams play we've made in years. Too bad it wasn't all that useful.

4. Crowder saw more action in the passing game and looked like they can contribute.

5. I liked the look of splitting Chris Thompson out wide. The wheel route at the start of the game, that was negated by penalty, was also very pretty.

6. Two plays a short time apart showed a great example of Kirk's pocket presence as he slid around a collapsing pocket and delivered the ball.

Yes, there's a LOT of negatives and after a game like this I think you have to address those realistically and head on. But there were some positives to gleam even if they're way overshadowed by the heaping amount of negative.

Like it did last night? After everyone being so jacked because they beat the Rams? Even the media talking about the team having a legit shot in the division? 

Since 2009:

4-12

6-10

5-11

10-6

3-13

4-12

The only time we DIDN'T implode during that time was when we were at 3-6 in 2012 and Shanny said to the media that it was time to play for pride and to see who would stay on the team, basically giving up on the season. And the team didn't implode, but rallied.

Maybe it's time to put some knees to some sacks. 

Totally Agree. Great Graphic illustration of our records through the years! This team is the poster child for imploding!

The article is laugh out loud funny.. You will actually be angrier after you read it! Where is B-Mitch and Doc Walker when we really need them?  I need to hear if the two of them saw any positives last night?

I saw positives and, no, the article didn't make me angry.

Only someone who expects INSTANT contender results in GM Scott's first year would take that attitude.

The Redskins always seem to have trouble in the Meadowlands (dating back to Gibbs time here in the 1980s) and are going to have up-and down times this year as GM Scott puts together his team.

One loss doesn't destroy all that for me.

You can pull out positives from almost any game. I don't think you can pull out a ton from this one or as much as they're trying to present, but there are some:

1. Reed continues to look like a great pass catching TE. He routinely was getting open and would've had an even bigger game with better QB play.

2. I think the starting line did very well. There were a number of times this week where they did what I've begged to see them do for some time; allow a QB to sit in a pocket without HAVING to "shift" or "slide" or anything else. Kirk had a lot of time back there at times, enough in some instances that made me go "wow, he has ages". Even after the injury, the young right side still looked very good.

3. Ross's kick return is the best special teams play we've made in years. Too bad it wasn't all that useful.

4. Crowder saw more action in the passing game and looked like they can contribute.

5. I liked the look of splitting Chris Thompson out wide. The wheel route at the start of the game, that was negated by penalty, was also very pretty.

6. Two plays a short time apart showed a great example of Kirk's pocket presence as he slid around a collapsing pocket and delivered the ball.

Yes, there's a LOT of negatives and after a game like this I think you have to address those realistically and head on. But there were some positives to gleam even if they're way overshadowed by the heaping amount of negative.

And we still got stomped! The one thing you hit on was QB play and we do not have one right now and without one all the other things will not work on a consistent basis! Right now the only teams we are capable of beating are teams like us that do not have a QB to bail them out and occasionally we may luck out against a good team who has an injured QB or completely out like the cowgirls right now. I have my doubts that even without Romo we can even beat them!

Let's take heart that our football may get embarrassed but will always take out positives from it..I just wonder if Joe Gibbs or the guy in NE ever really took positives from getting buried on prime time or for that matter losing in general...From JG's bust in the hall I would say not.

I read his book 4th and 1 and believe me JG was not a good loser! That is why we were winners!

Seriously, did anyone here honestly think this was instantly going to be a playoff contender this year?

If so, you have bigger issues than a loss to the Giants.

Yes, the picks were ugly this week.  And the underthrown ball to Reed on the left side should have been a TD.  Why Gruden abandoned the run is beyond me.  But it was not the complete meltdown that some people think it was.

I saw positives and, no, the article didn't make me angry.

Only someone who expects INSTANT contender results in GM Scott's first year would take that attitude.

The Redskins always seem to have trouble in the Meadowlands (dating back to Gibbs time here in the 1980s) and are going to have up-and down times this year as GM Scott puts together his team.

One loss doesn't destroy all that for me.

I respectfully disagree with you.  I am upset because Scott told us that we would be tough and teams that play the Redskins would feel it. The Giants must have felt like they were playing a high school team last night because that is what it looked like from my point of view.

This is the same story we have heard for over 20 years now and I cannot believe you are not getting tired of the same thing over again.. How do you expect to win without a viable QB? Kurt Warner stated it looked like Cousins was playing scared..I actually hear Kirk say earlier in the week that despite Gruden's confidence he was still not comfortable..You never ever say that!!! That tells me you are scared!

There was movie I watching where the commander of a sub admitted doubt in front of his men and his subordinate took him aside and told do not ever show any amount of doubt in front of your men because that is death to a crew...You show confidence whether you have it or not in front of your guy's and if you don't no-one will believe in you!

I have been a fan for over 44 years and over the past 20 years things were supposed to different everyone yelling patience and don't panic and it's only 2 games and wait and see...Sorry after 20 years with absolutely no sign that things will consistently get better it very difficult to believe anything this team does.

I lol'ed.

Very good analogy. At least some people see the forest through the trees!

To those thinking we didn't get stomped and that there were positives worthy of mentioning, did you at any point from the 1st quarter on ever feel like we were going to find a way to win the game?

Moving the ball or not, it never felt to me that we would make the plays necessary to win.  So yeah to me, that's a beatdown with not much positive to talk about.

I don't feel like we got stomped. We had chances. The reason we lost this game was due to stupid mistakes. The blocked punt, two stupid ints by Kirk, the Matt Jones fumble. If not for that Matt Jones fumble, we may well have one that game.

Also, we were moving the ball.

We were losing 25-6 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Our offense scored 1 TD and we were never in the game. I would say that we got stomped..Sorry someone please tell if at any point in this game you thought even down 15-6 we were coming back. I knew we were done when it was 12-0. Just being honest and my complete lack of faith in our QB bringing us back. Also knew he was going to throw a couple of picks..which he did once again and once again we hear the garbage that he needs to correct it!

Archived