Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Doctor Who: Your Favorite Doctor?

88Comrade2000

Doctor Who: Who's Your Favorite Doctor?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Doctor Who: Who's Your Favorite Doctor?

• First Doctor: William Hartnell
    • Second Doctor: Patrick Trougton
    • Third Doctor: John Pertwee
    • Fourth Doctor: Tom Baker
    • Fifth Doctor: Peter Davidson
    • First Doctor for 1983's The Five Doctors: Richard Hurndall
    • Sixth Doctor: Colin Baker
    • Seventh Doctor: Sylvester Mccoy
    • Eigth Doctor: Paul Mccann
    • War Doctor for 2013's The Day of The Doctor: John Hurt
    • Ninth Doctor: Christopher Eccleston
    • Tenth Doctor: David Tennant
    • Eleventh Doctor: Matt Smith
    • Twelveth Doctor: Peter Capaldi

I know there are some fans of the long running BBC series: Doctor Who. It's about a person, known as the Doctor. He's from the planet Gallifrey who travels through time and space in a Tardis. The Tardis just happens to look like a 1960's era British Police Box.  The show aired from 1963 to 1989. Fox aired a TV movie in 1996. BBC revived the show in 2005.

The unique thing about the show, is that when the Doctor dies or is fatally injured; he can regenerate into a new body. This is how the show has last so long.  The originial actor was in poor health; so the producers came up with the idea that the Doctor can change form when dying. 

Sadly, the BBC erased the tapes of alot of the 60's era Doctor Who.  I think in the U.S., most of us had their exposure to the orginal Doctor Who through PBS. The original show debuted the day after the Kennedy assasination on 11/23/63.

The original living Doctors appear in audio stories. There have been a couple of charity episodes that had multiple doctors but didn't included those.

Our British posters can add anything to this since they would know more than me. :D

So, my Poll to the Doctor Who fans here; who's your favorite Doctor?

Doctor 1 - William Hartnell: 1963-1966, 1973 episode: The Three Doctors

Doctor 2 - Patrick Troughton: 1966-1969, 1973 episode: The Three Doctors, 1983 Episode: The Five Doctors, 1986 Episode: The Two Doctors

Doctor 3 - John Pertwee: 1970-1974, 1983 Episode: The Five Doctors

Doctor 4 - Tom Baker: 1974-1981, the actor appeared as a future Doctor?? in 2013's The Day of The Doctor. He didn't appear in 1983's The Five Doctors but footage of him was used from an unfinished episode.

Doctor 5 - Peter Davidson: 1981-1984

Doctor 1 - Richard Hurdnall - filling in for the deceased William Hartnell in 1983's The Five Doctors

Doctor 6 - Colin Baker: 1984-1986, the only actor to be fired

Doctor 7 - Slyvester Mccoy: 1987-1989, 1996 TV movie

Doctor 8 - Paul Mccan: 1996 TV Movie, 2013's Minisode: Night of The Doctor

War Doctor -  John Hurt: 2013's The Day of the Doctor

Doctor 9 - Christopher Eccleston: 2005

Doctor 10 - David Tennant: 2005-2010, 2013's The Day of The Doctor

Doctor 11 -  Matt Smith: 2010-2013 including 2013's The Day of The Doctor

Doctor 12 - Peter Capaldi: 2014-  , He appeared for a second in 2013's The Day of The Doctor

Peter Cushing appeared in 2 Doctor Who movies in the 1960's but his Doctor was slightly different and isn't considered cannon with the show. So, he's not included in the poll.

Many speculate the next doctor will be a woman.

So, Who's your favorite Doctor?

I will admit that I enjoy the series re-boot starting with the mini-movie on Fox.  I'm not a big fan of the old episodes.  Wife is a Whovian, she watches all of them on repeat for the most part.  Her and her sister are among the biggest Dr. Who nerds on the planet lol.

I wanted to pick Christopher Eccelston because he was bad ass.  But I went with David Tennant because he was kind of dorky, but took care of business when needed.   I stopped watching when that no talent ass clown, Marty McFly's dad lookin ass Matt Smith was cast.  

Absolutely hated him.  Picked it back up and started watching again with the current doctor, Peter Capaldi.  I like him and his "get off my lawn" prick'ish attitude lol.  

If I had to pick an older doctor, prior to the reboot of the series, I'd have to say Tom Baker.  Cause as little as I did watch, he was always the one I saw.  

For those of us who only see the show here and there, how did they manage to fit that into the canon?

It's complicated and it's all because Christopher Eccleston said no to appearing in the 50th anniversary episode: The Day of The Doctor.

I'll explain it before going to bed; unless someone else beats me to it. :P

It's complicated and it's all because Christopher Eccleston said no to appearing in the 50th anniversary episode: The Day of The Doctor.

I'll explain it before going to bed; unless someone else beats me to it. :P

Wife mentioned something about The Master being given extra regeneration lives.  So my guess is that would come into play for future doctors.

For those of us who only see the show here and there, how did they manage to fit that into the canon?

I think it was mentioned during Tom Baker's era that a Timelord only had 12 regenerations.

Also, might have been mentioned in 20th anniversary episode: The Five Doctors.

I know it was mentioned in the the 6th's Doctor season long story arc: The Trail of a Timelord.

Some history on regeneration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_%28Doctor_Who%29

May want an aspirin because this will give you a headache.

Before 2013's "The Day of the Doctor"; the Doctor we thought was on his 11th life. A timelord has 12 regenerations and 13 lives in total.  Well, showrunner Stephen Moffat screwed that up.  Because Christopher Eccleston declined to appear in the "The Day of The Doctor"; Steven came up with a hidden Doctor- The War Doctor. The War Doctor was the incarnation between the 8th and 9th Doctor. He wasn't called the Doctor because he gave that up, to become a warrior to fight in the Time War.  So, in reality this "War Doctor is the 9th doctor. Also, in Matt Smith's final episode; "The Time of the Doctor" further revelations.  It was revealed that during David Tennant's tenure; when he almost regenerated but directed that energy into a new hand -  that counted as a regeneration.  Basically, David's 10th burned a regeneration.  So, in reality Matt Smith's Doctor was in his final incarnation and couldn't regenerate.  He grew old & was to have died.  The Timelords granted him a new set of regenerations and he was able to regenerate again.  Does he have 12 more? WE assume but not sure.

8th Doctor -  8th Life

War Doctor - 9th Life

9th Doctor - 10th Life

10th Doctor - 11th Life & 12th Life.

11th- Doctor - 13th and Final Life.

After Timelords granted the Doctor a new set of regenerations:

12th Doctor - 14th Life.

That really gave me headache.

My favorite Doctor was my first Doctor, Tom Baker.  My sister was watching on PBS and I started watching also.  I think where I lived by the time we got to see Tom Baker; they were already on the 6th Doctor.

I've seen all of 4th,5th and 6th Doctor's episodes and of course, everything since 1996 TV movie.  I haven't see much of the 7th's Doctor's episodes. I've seen some of the 3rd Doctor's episodes.  What little I've seen of the first and second Doctor; didn't really car for.

My Top Doctors:

1.  Tom Baker

2.  David Tennant

3.  Peter Capaldi

4.  Matt Smith

5.  Peter Davidson

6.  John Pertwee

If you watch Gotham; Alfred is played by Sean Pertwee. The late John Pertwee's son.

Tennant and then a very very close Matt Smith.

The better question is who is your favorite companion?

I'm torn between Amy Pond and Rose Tyler.

They're burning through doctors. Can't he only reincarnate or whatever 13 times?

Edit..I was wrong. He (Matt Smith) was granted a new set of regenerations for destroying the Daleks at Trenzalore.

NERDS!!!!!!! I vote for Davros (Ok he was just a character but he was a Scientist/Doctor as well).  Started watching it when my father was stationed in England 1974-76 and saw first runs on the BBC (Heck they only had three stations to watch).  Started with Pertwee but Baker is my pick.  Favorite episode was Genesis of the Daleks. Haven't kept up with the newer ones.

The better question is who is your favorite companion?

I'm torn between Amy Pond and Rose Tyler.

Man, I don't even know all of them.   My favs from the classic series were: Sara Jane Smith - the only companion who got a her own show. It would still be on the air now; if she hadn't passed away a few years ago.  I also liked Romana II, Teagan, Peri and Ace.

From the modern era, I liked Amy, Donna.  I got sick of Rose. The kept on bring her back, after she left.

I got to met Karen Gillian: Amy back in January.

I think it was mentioned during Tom Baker's era that a Timelord only had 12 regenerations.

Also, might have been mentioned in 20th anniversary episode: The Five Doctors.

I know it was mentioned in the the 6th's Doctor season long story arc: The Trail of a Timelord.

Some history on regeneration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Doctor_Who)

May want an aspirin because this will give you a headache.

Before 2013's "The Day of the Doctor"; the Doctor we thought was on his 11th life. A timelord has 12 regenerations and 13 lives in total.  Well, showrunner Stephen Moffat screwed that up.  Because Christopher Eccleston declined to appear in the "The Day of The Doctor"; Steven came up with a hidden Doctor- The War Doctor. The War Doctor was the incarnation between the 8th and 9th Doctor. He wasn't called the Doctor because he gave that up, to become a warrior to fight in the Time War.  So, in reality this "War Doctor is the 9th doctor. Also, in Matt Smith's final episode; "The Time of the Doctor" further revelations.  It was revealed that during David Tennant's tenure; when he almost regenerated but directed that energy into a new hand -  that counted as a regeneration.  Basically, David's 10th burned a regeneration.  So, in reality Matt Smith's Doctor was in his final incarnation and couldn't regenerate.  He grew old & was to have died.  The Timelords granted him a new set of regenerations and he was able to regenerate again.  Does he have 12 more? WE assume but not sure.

8th Doctor -  8th Life

War Doctor - 9th Life

9th Doctor - 10th Life

10th Doctor - 11th Life & 12th Life.

11th- Doctor - 13th and Final Life.

After Timelords granted the Doctor a new set of regenerations:

12th Doctor - 14th Life.

That really gave me headache.

He can be granted regenerations? So life is, I guess, a hand-out? Also, didn't The Doctor kind of kill off all of the Timelords excluding himself?

He can be granted regenerations? So life is, I guess, a hand-out? Also, didn't The Doctor kind of kill off all of the Timelords excluding himself?

Yes. It's up to the Timelords.  Back then, they didn't think they would get to that point and they almost didn't.  A poll was commissioned before the 2005 revival in 2003 if Brits were interested in Doctor Who coming back. They weren't. The producers wisely, hid that info. form the BBC honchos.  The rest is history. Doctor Who is more popular than ever and is more of worldwide hit than before.

Yes, the modern era was set after the Time War; where the Doctor was supposed to have wiped out his race.  Actually, except apparently the Master.  Well, the Day of The Doctor reversed that.  Gallifrey is out there somewhere.  

I really really love the pairing of 10 and rose Tyler and 11 and Amy pond. I picked tennant as my fav but like Matt smith a lot too.

God I hate Donna. More than anything. And stopped watching after amy pond. The new companion's pairing with Matt smith just made the show too kidsy for me.

Never watched the old dr who though.

Archived