Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Trade Partners if Mariota Falls

emor09

Here is another scenario. What if the Redskins draft Mariota at #5 then trade RGIII to the Jets for pick number #6.

It's actually possible but only if you can get Dan Snyder to go work for the jets. I don't play fantasy football but you seem like a guy that if I did, I would want, no beg you, to be in my league.

We won't ever get a 1st for Robert let alone #6! Philly needs to trade Foles for a 2nd ... Then trade 1-2-2-3 and 1 & 3 next year to us for #5. And we do it. Because that 1sr next year could be top 5

1) it's doubtful philly would even deal with wAshington. Why give draft picks to your division foe when u got 3 teams ahead of them u can talk to?

2) if there isn't a second team bidding vs Eagles for this QB, then add'l leverage is lost. That bounty of picks looks high if there's no team bidding vs the Eagles and there's multiple teams bidding TO the Eagles with trade down offers (and they don't get a 2nd for foles, either)

I hope we trade down a little to get an extra pick or two at least and still get the BPA we want.

My gut says,  Mariota will be gone by the time we are at #5.

As for drafting a QB, we aren't going to spend the #5 pick on Mariota.  We could draft a Qb in the later rounds but my guess; we draft a QB with that high first round pick in 2016 when none of our QBs pan out.

New Coach and QB in 2016 and the Redskins still have a good shot of having that #1 pick in 2016.

What would be awesome is if the Eagles did trade a bunch of picks for the Jets #6 pick to get Mariotta, then, just because we could, draft him ourselves (or trade with another team for them to get him) just so Philly loses a bunch and misses out. I know this is not reality but would be awesome. We would still get something we needed either way. if it did happen, we could always trade Robert or Kirk to them for a 4th rd pick.

Add me to the very very (hell could be the only one here thinking this) small group here that believes if Mariota was to fall to 5 that the absolute best thing for this team to do is to draft him ourselves.

Why?

MOD edited - please do not quote long posts or post with pictures or videos embeded.

how many hands do you have?

What would be awesome is if the Eagles did trade a bunch of picks for the Jets #6 pick to get Mariotta, then, just because we could, draft him ourselves (or trade with another team for them to get him) just so Philly loses a bunch and misses out.

Okay your second sentence corrected what I was going to say about the first sentence. Philly only trades with NYJ if Mariotta gets past us. But what WOULD be hilarious is if it becomes clear that the Eagles are going to trade with the Jets if Mariotta is there, then we turn around and ... shoot ... even just swap 1sts with the Rams and take their 2nd and 4th or something ... just to spite the Iggles.

That being said, I kind of want them to get Mariotta. Not because I think Mariotta won't be good .. I think he can be very good ... but I think the Eagles are setting themselves up for a major failure, at least this year ... which could create some serious drama and put Kelly on the hot seat. If the Eagles really plan to load up on defense in FA and then roll with Mariotta, Gore and that cast of Ducks at WR + Matthews, they're going to struggle. 

I don't think the Titans are a threat to trade down with the Eagles. The Titans MIGHT trade down with the Jets. The Titans can draft the #1 defender in Leonard Williams, or trade down with the Jets and get an outside rusher there. But they won't go down to #20 without at least getting a trade return greater than what we gave the Rams.

The Jaguars are a threat, of course, but they, too, could opt for a defender. They'll have their shot at either Williams or the top OLB. If they fall in love with one of those rush backers, they might want to avoid trading all the way to #20, as well.

The Raiders would have been a logical choice before this FA cycle began, but the fact that all of the top WRs are now OFF the market and they can't land their top target in Cobb, I think they have to go WR at #4. And at that spot they get the #1 WR on their board. Trading down with Philly actually puts them in position to maybe have the #4 or #5 WR at that spot, so I just don't see it.

As far as the Jets are concerned ... then yes ... I could see the Jets trading up to #2/3/4 to take Mariotta ... because all 3 of those teams could drop back and still get a top guy on their board at #6 ... BUT ... will the Jets be willing to give up a massive deal to get it done? I don't think we're talking RGIII massive, but we're still talking #6 + #37 + 2016 1st. The Jets might find it more advantageous to sit back and see how far Mariotta falls. If he gets to #4 they likely trade #6 and #37 to the Raiders. But they know the Raiders want a WR and don't want to fall too far back ... so they could risk letting him get to us at #5 and know they can swap spots with us for as little as a 3rd and maybe an extra 5th ... 

At the end of the day, the Top 5 of the draft is going to be VERY VERY interesting ... and if we are at #5 with Mariotta on the board ... we're trading with someone ... either the Jets to secure we don't trade out further ... or as far down as #20 for a team like Philly. The fact that there will be 3-4 possible teams in play for Mariotta gives us leverage over the Eagles who might try to "call our bluff" and hop he falls to the Jets and they can trade. But if we're facing that bluff ... and can go from 6 to 10 and get a 2nd from the Rams then I do it. Or even go down to Houston at 16 and take the 2 & 3 and maybe a pick next year. 

Everyone knows the Skins won't draft Mariotta so they have no leverage at 5. They'll go BPA.

Eagles will trade Foles & picks to the Jets for Mariotta. Write it down.

Chip Kelly will be at Fresno State by 2018.

Our leverage doesn't come from the fact that WE will pick Mariotta ... it's that we will seek a trade ... and offer the pick to the Rams, Texans, 49ers, Eagles, Bears ... if you need a QB, we're calling you about a trade.

On paper though ... the Eagles do seem poised to offload Foles. BUT ... what is Foles' true value? Is he a 2nd? A 3rd? The Eagles might be able to get up to #6 by offering #20, #52, #84, Foles and a 2016 1st ... 

But I think the Eagles would be best-positioned to just trade Foles to an interested party for a 2nd (if they can get it) ... and use that 2nd in a trade-package to move up. If they plan to use Foles in the trade, it limits who they can deal with ... since not everyone (Jags, Raiders, Redskins, or even Tennessee) need a QB 

Most teams would want to trade for Foles before the draft. So if you're holding Foles as an item in a trade with the Jets ... a trade that wouldn't happen until draft day ... and then the trade doesn't materialize ... you are stuck with Foles. But if you can trade Foles ahead of the draft to, say, the Jets for their 3rd ... at least you have the extra pick to utilize in a trade on draft-day. Heck, even offer the 3rd back to the Jets to get up to #6 if you have to.

Mallet + Hoyer likely eliminates the Texans from the Mariotta sweepstakes, though they were certainly a long-shot at #16 to move up.

I forgot to include the Browns ... certainly in play for Mariotta if word out of Cleveland is true regarding JM

All we need to do is create a market for Mariotta if he's there at #5. That won't be hard to do. Even if the Eagles have an agreement lined up with the Jets for Mariotta ... if we can sell the idea that we're trading down with St. Louis, Chicago or Cleveland ... the Eagles will be forced to get into the discussion with us. And once that happens, it's fair game.

Oh, Philly, we just heard from Cleveland, who's offering us #12 and #19 ... so we're taking that unless you can up it? Oh, #20, #52, #84, 2016 1st and 2017 1st? Well ... give us a few mi---- DEAL!

Rams won't pass ... Texans won't pass. Browns won't pass (twice). Jets won't pass.

Hell the Bears likely won't pass, even if they still have Cutler.

None of those teams run spread/read option offenses.

Rams are not gonna blow their first pick on a contingency plan for Bradford.

Texans want to win now, aren't gonna develop a QB. Are interested in Hoyer.

Browns are rebuilding from the ground up and I would doubt roll the dice on another athletic QB/project.

Jets same boat as Browns only they're making a play to compete now. I know they didn't just bring in Marshall to have a rookie overthrow him all year.

Bears hired Mr. Defense John Fox who is not gonna draft a rookie QB when his new unit is one of the worst in football.

Not sure that really matters. Yes, he's a college sperad QB, but there are plenty of coaches who can see him making it work as a pocket QB. He's not limited in any capacity, in those terms. With the value of the QB position being as high as it is, I just can't see 19 teams passing on a QB who has the talent Mariotta has. Will be he the next Luck? I doubt it, but I can't see him sliding to #20. No way.

Not sure that really matters. Yes, he's a college sperad QB, but there are plenty of coaches who can see him making it work as a pocket QB. He's not limited in any capacity, in those terms. With the value of the QB position being as high as it is, I just can't see 19 teams passing on a QB who has the talent Mariotta has. Will be he the next Luck? I doubt it, but I can't see him sliding to #20. No way.

25th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft: Green Bay Packers - A-aron Rodgers.

Mariota looks like he's gonna be a project to me. He's not a head case so he'll stick around but I really don't see him being much of anything, ESPECIALLY if he's saddled with a whole bunch of "win-now" expectations.

Redskins took Carlos Rogers 9th....God. Damn. This. Team.

how many hands do you have?

Must be the only one noticing since I posted my thoughts on what to at 5 that a lot of posters have come out laughing at the value that Griffin has today. If Griffin has no value then it means he isn't a starting caliber QB in the NFL, not that I disagree I just find is incredible that here I've posted a lot of research and information for you guys to dissect about taking this guy ourselves and not one of you agree with me. Last week so many here were saying how they thought Chip Kelly was a genius, and he wants this guy and that means nothing? The salary cap savings to you between re-signing Bob or Kirk vs the cost of the 5th overall pick, I just don't get it. Keep thinking that Griffin is trash and worthless and we shouldn't draft this guy and I bet you at some point your going to look back and think, damn we could have had our QB locked up for 4-5 years and didn't have to give up future #1's to get someone else if we had just drafted our guy in 2015 I bet. 

Everyone knows the Skins won't draft Mariotta so they have no leverage at 5. They'll go BPA.

Why wouldn't they? What is so set in stone that they wouldn't draft a QB at #5?

We have QB's on this roster who are on one year deals. Comments like you just said are reserved for teams with franchise QB's and the hell if either of these guys is a franchise QB

Griffin last year signed and isn't worth another contract look at the people laughing at what he's worth here

Cousins last year signed and isn't worth another contract here

Colt McCoy will never be back

So in short why do you or anyone else think that there is not a need for a QB on this team?

If in fact the Redskins were in the news showing interest in a QB at #5 now you have driven up Mariottas draft value meaning if the Eagles or any other team wanted him we suddenly have become the JETS where you have to JUMP ahead of US to get him and the higher they go up the more it costs them.

We should very much be in the running for him if for nothing else then to force the Eagles to go up to 4 or 3 or 2 and not be allowed to lay back hoping he's there at 6. This is something else I just do not understand, valuation says they should be in the news talking about hoping Mariota falls to #5 to scare the Eagles.

Instead of the noise about Chip Kelly being some glorified genius it would be what is he going to do to get in front of us? Our poker face here is appalling, Bluff the Eagles for goodness sake, Don't trade with them, make them scared of us and over react and over pay!

Rams are not gonna blow their first pick on a contingency plan for Bradford.

Texans want to win now, aren't gonna develop a QB. Are interested in Hoyer.

Browns are rebuilding from the ground up and I would doubt roll the dice on another athletic QB/project.

Jets same boat as Browns only they're making a play to compete now. I know they didn't just bring in Marshall to have a rookie overthrow him all year.

Bears hired Mr. Defense John Fox who is not gonna draft a rookie QB when his new unit is one of the worst in football.

The spread offense is way more common in the NFL today because it works then it used to be and because those teams didn't use it last year doesn't eliminate them from changing the offense with a new QB this year. also there is no chance he falls to the 20's, zero

Why wouldn't they? What is so set in stone that they wouldn't draft a QB at #5?

Skins gonna restart FROM SCRATCH with ANOTHER read option QB that isn't even as good as Griffin? Huh?

Of all potential scenarios for next season ... drafting Mariota has to be the most improbable and illogical.

Truth is we have no idea what the redskins front office is thinking right now. They could see Griffin as a total bust or as the future. They could see Mariotta as what RG3 was supposed to be or as a failed NFL experiment waiting to happen. Who knows? What we do know is that winning in this league requires a QB so if they don't like the ones this team has they'll be thinking about getting one somewhere.

It does benefit the team to at least seem open to the possibility of drafting one of the two QBs if only to bring in trade partners should either fall to us at 5.

Getting an extra 1st round pick and maybe a 2nd and 3rd this year would make me happy. We can get quality guards or a center later in the 1st round. The middle of the OL was a nightmare.

As a long suffering skins fan however I fully expect us to stay put and draft a defensive back.

They will have leverage by who may take him after #5. The Jets (#6) and the Bears (#7) could definitely draft a QB. 

Also, I don't watch much CFB, but isn't Mariotta also coming from a non-traditional offense and would be subject to the same weaknesses and time needed to grow as Griffin. I'm surprised members who've been very outspoken on wanting to be rid of Griffin for those very reasons, would be willing to draft another QB to go through the same struggles for the next 3 years. 

Archived