Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

Again your right, nothing to get super excited about but a logical move in our circumstances.

You're right of course, but IMO a logical move IS something to get excited about, as opposed to the stroke-inducing, face palming Magic8Ball says what? moves this franchise has made over the last two decades. Give me boring, please God, bore me, don't shock/startle/surprise/discombobulate me, bore me with a couple years of solid, unspectacular commonsense.

You're right of course, but IMO a logical move IS something to get excited about, as opposed to the stroke-inducing, face palming Magic8Ball says what? moves this franchise has made over the last two decades. Give me boring, please God, bore me, don't shock/startle/surprise/discombobulate me, bore me with a couple years of solid, unspectacular commonsense.

There only so much excitement you can get in the middle of February.

I graded Tyler Larsen out as a 1st round player last year...IMO, he was the cleanest C prospect in the draft. Big time get for the #Redskins

Exactly why this guy isn't a scout/personnel man/anything. You grade a guy as a 1st round pick, and that guy subsequently goes undrafted, you should probably go work at Costco.

I'm liking the emphasis on Oline thus far into the offseason. One of our biggest moves was paying Callahan whatever it took to get him to come here and coach the Oline over Foerster. Now one of the first moves in player personnel for Scot was to bring in two Olinemen.

It's, at the very least, a very promising sign that they really understand the issues there.

Six eight, 325?  Airport roster spot.  Those are the guys who look awesome walking through airports... "Look at that guy, he must be a pro athlete."

Plus, I love his mix of Arena, Canadian Football League teams.

(* Offseason or practice squad member only)

Exactly why this guy isn't a scout/personnel man/anything. You grade a guy as a 1st round pick, and that guy subsequently goes undrafted, you should probably go work at Costco.

Where you are drafted doesn't matter, it is where you ultimately end up.  That is still an open book for him.

To be fair about Larsen, he was a rookie last year, and not many pure centers get drafted.  That being said, looking at his profile, that seems to be his main issue: he's best suited as a center and probably doesn't have much versatility. 

But, he's a young player who still has potential in front of him. While nothing to get super excited about, adding young talent to develop along the OL is always a good thing.

I think he's a good signing. And maybe he can make the roster and contribute.

I was just making light of the fact that this happens every year. We sign some camp bobby types at this time of year, and then there are posts talking about how good they're going to be and acting like it changes our draft needs, etc. And then by August they are forgotten.

On the other hand Rufus, there's a part of me that smiles at the thought that our first offseason signing is an O-lineman. Yeah, if either of these guys work out it would be pretty amazing, but yeah never know... for a year Anthony Armstrong was killing it after being one of these camp fodder signings.

On the other hand Rufus, there's a part of me that smiles at the thought that our first offseason signing is an O-lineman. Yeah, if either of these guys work out it would be pretty amazing, but yeah never know... for a year Anthony Armstrong was killing it after being one of these camp fodder signings.

Armstrong was signed to the PS mid-season, for the record. But again, I think Larsen is one of the more promising signings of this type I've seen us make.

I think he's a good signing. And maybe he can make the roster and contribute.

I was just making light of the fact that this happens every year. We sign some camp bobby types at this time of year, and then there are posts talking about how good they're going to be and acting like it changes our draft needs, etc. And then by August they are forgotten.

You're absolutely right. We were silly thinking the guys we had running our personnel before who had done nothing but consistently fail at it could find us gems.

But now, now we have the McCloughan, Rufus. Trust the McCloughan, Rufus. The McCloughan is for real, Rufus. The McCloughan, Rufus. Who still has a lot of those aforementioned guys who failed consistently working under him right now. :/

But still, the McCloughan.    

You're absolutely right. We were silly thinking the guys we had running our personnel before who had done nothing but consistently fail at it could find us gems.

But now, now we have the McCloughan, Rufus. Trust the McCloughan, Rufus. The McCloughan is for real, Rufus. The McCloughan, Rufus. Who still has a lot of those aforementioned guys who failed consistently working under him right now. :/

But still, the McCloughan.    

Got nothing to do with that. This is flotsam and jetsam time. All that's out there is guys who have had shots and not done enough with them to even earn a practice squad spot. It's not really a matter of who's doing the signings, the odds remain that these are nothing but camp bodies. The Pats, Seahawks and Packers aren't signing studs this time of year either.

Got nothing to do with that. This is flotsam and jetsam time. All that's out there is guys who have had shots and not done enough with them to even earn a practice squad spot. It's not really a matter of who's doing the signings, the odds remain that these are nothing but camp bodies. The Pats, Seahawks and Packers aren't signing studs this time of year either.

I know, I'm with ya. Sour puss.   

Who cares who they are. Fodder?

Whatever. I don't see the point to start poo pooing GMSMs first moves.

I more look past the name to the position and girth.

We have a GM targeting the OL. Big Boys. Getting started. I like it.

Agree.

What's the worst that can happen, here? The team spends a few grand of Danny's money, and they take up some space at training camp.

What's the risk? We running out of lockers at camp?

Heck, if these guys wind up on practice squad, then we got a return on our investment.

And after smelling unemployment, they might well be really motivated. (At those weights, might I even say "hungry"?)

I'm also remembering the expression "You can't coach big."

Tyler Larsen led his group in bench press.  I always liked bringing in superlative players as camp fodder.  You never new if those physical traits can lead to something greater.

Larsen is well liked by scouts from what I've read.  Maybe he just needs some developing.  Maybe he sucks.  Who knows?

I know one thing, we're past DUE to hit on a few of these moves.

Lichtensteiger signed a future contract with the 
Washington Redskins on January 12, 2010.[7] He was reunited with head coach Mike Shanahan, whom he played for in his rookie season with the Broncos. In his first season with the Redskins, he became the starting left guard of the offensive line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kory_Lichtensteiger

Our current C was signed in January in a similar "fodder" like signing after a uneventful rookie season.  Hopefully he can turn into a solid back-up and/or take over as Licht get more pricey.

Just some draft info on Larsen last year:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1754638/tyler-larsen

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Tall, barrel-chested center with surprising mobility. Good initial quickness off the ball. Can turn and seal off defenders in the running game, creating effective lanes. Gets a quick punch on his opponent and slides well laterally to contain in pass protection. Good lateral agility and surprising straight-line speed to block at the second level, showing above average change of direction to adjust to moving targets. Also an effective short-yardage run blocker due to good leg drive and determination. Reliable in the shotgun and traditional snapping. Tough and durable. Started the final 51 games of his collegiate career. Good bloodlines. Brother Cody played defensive tackle at Southern Utah and is now with the Baltimore Ravens. WEAKNESSES: Bit top-heavy and may possess shorter-than-ideal arms as too often strong defensive tackles are able to slip free from his blocks. Average knee bend and can get himself in trouble when he tires and bends at the waist, losing ground to bull rushers and leaving himself vulnerable to swim moves over the top. Missed all but the first two games of the 2009 season with a knee injury. COMPARES TO: Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers: Like the 49ers' standout, Larsen is a physical, battle-tested pivot with the size and light feet to handle playing guard in a pinch. --Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW Larsen comes from good football bloodlines, as his brother, Cody, is a defensive tackle for the Baltimore Ravens after playing for Southern Utah.Tyler Larsen played both sides of the line in high school, and was an immediate contributor at Utah State in 2009 before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the second game and was awarded a medical redshirt.He returned to start all 12 games at center in 2010, making all of the blocking calls. Larsen started all 13 games again the following season, earning first-team all-WAC honors while grading out at a team-best 89 percent overall.The durable pivot started 13 more games and again earned first-team all-conference honors as a junior, becoming the first two-time first-team all-conference selection at Utah State since Kevin Robinson (2004, 2007) and the first offensive lineman to accomplish the feat since Mauricio Jourdan (1996-97). Larsen graded out at 86 percent overall in 2012.He capped his career with yet another first-team all-WAC season in 2013, becoming just the ninth Aggie in school history to be a three-time first-team all-conference selection, joining Kent Ryan (1934-35-36), Murray Maughan (1938-39-40), Ralph Maughan (1942, 46-47), Guy McClure (1979-80-81), Dave Kuresa (1982-83-84), Brent Passey (1998-99-2000), Emmett White (1999-2000-01) and Bobby Wagner (2009-10-11). Larsen graded out above 86 percent in every game this year and above 90 percent five times, while recording 46 knockdowns. He was also a Remington Trophy finalist.After the 2009 knee injury, Larsen went on to play in 51 consecutive games over the next four season.

Just something that might be related to these guys.

I browse the Breaking News section, here, fairly regularly. There's been a series of short, kinda scouting reports, on various players who the author thinks the Skins might be interested in, either with #5, or "Well, if they trade down to #12 or as, . . . "

And I'm noticing that pretty much all of them, the author points out something that he says is a theme, in college athletes in general.

That all of his Top 15 or so draft prospects, he summarizes as "Loads of talent, but hasn't been coached very well for the NFL".

The author says that his theory is that, when a college coach has some kid who's raw, but he's got enough talent so that he can be productive on talent alone, then the coaches ignore him, and focus on the players who need more coaching.

I do not know if this is an actual trend, or if this simply reflects something about this particular author.

But it seems to me that that seems to be kind of a trend. People coming out of college with top 15 draft potential, but who need coaching.

Seems at least possible, that these guys might fit in that category. (With the disclaimer, of course, that their previous team didn't think so.)

Archived