Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release

February 10, 2015

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed the following free agents:

NFL

PLAYER POSITION HEIGHT WEIGHT D.O.B. EXP. COLLEGE

Tyler Larsen OL 6-4 315 7/8/91 1 Utah State

Ty Nsekhe ^ OL 6-8 325 10/27/85 1 Texas State

^ “en-SECK-he”

Championship

Actually I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

That Nsekhe guy is 29 yrs old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Nsekhe

And apparently has gotten himself in trouble for tweeting.

And Larsen's wiki says:

"A three-time all-conference selection, Larsen is regarded as one of the best interior lineman prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft.[5] Currently projected a fifth-to-sixth-round selection,[6] Larsen could be the highest selected Utah State offensive lineman since Shawn Murphy in 2008."

25 interior linemen drafted in 2014.  None named Tyler Larsen.

Alrighty then.

I graded Tyler Larsen out as a 1st round player last year...IMO, he was the cleanest C prospect in the draft. Big time get for the #Redskins

Think we need to give guys like these 2 a fair shot to compete, unlike years past where they are probably just camp fodder. McClou is a great talent finder. SEA is built with mid to late round picks constantly over achieving. 

Think we need to give guys like these 2 a fair shot to compete, unlike years past where they are probably just camp fodder. McClou is a great talent finder. SEA is built with mid to late round picks constantly over achieving. 

To be fair I like the Larsen signing; I'm a bit more leery of the other guy.  But I agree they should be given a shot to prove themselves and God knows I hope they do turn out.

Who cares who they are. Fodder?

Whatever. I don't see the point to start poo pooing GMSMs first moves.

I more look past the name to the position and girth.

We have a GM targeting the OL. Big Boys. Getting started. I like it.

What were our first moves a year ago?  IIRC Inking Wormington a guy we had a great look at, who then got cut. Not fodder, but cut like fodder.

And then soon after Jumpy's nephew, #bloodlines a bit tall to be an effective DL in our 3-4. At least he got into a few games, but man that contract was a bit much.  Not Fodder, as I would wager the experts would have predicted but were likely scared off by the contract and name.Actually, I bet some were quick to pull out the fodder card.

No matter the regime during the off season not only is there the draft and big name FAs, you go get some young guys and some cheap guys to compete in camp.  These are two fine examples of such.

An experienced guy to compete with our young OTs, assuming Tyler P will be leaving, and a young guy to compete with our older OC. Larson reads interesting.

Just the opening plays in what ought to be a systemic overhaul for the next few years. Camp fodder? Maybe, let's see, but I'd like to think that McClue and Callahan had input here and saw something worth checking out, that alone says to me that they are considering all options/ exercising due diligence in addressing the most glaring issues here no matter what happens w/ these two guys.

But it's February, the absolute bottom of the year and I'm happy to see that the pessimists got something to **** about.

And we all know players who are signed  at this time of year who have ever contributed anything.... wait.

To be fair about Larsen, he was a rookie last year, and not many pure centers get drafted.  That being said, looking at his profile, that seems to be his main issue: he's best suited as a center and probably doesn't have much versatility. 

But, he's a young player who still has potential in front of him. While nothing to get super excited about, adding young talent to develop along the OL is always a good thing.

While these guys may be camp fodder it shows me that our new GM is targeting the offensive line and God knows we need that.  He's going the cheap free agent route, getting some bodies and promoting competition. 

He's just getting started.  C'mon guys.  You know this is a good thing. 

The offensive line has been the most overlooked area on the 'Skins for roughly Mr. Snyder's entire ownership "reign." Sure they hit with a few (Trent Williams, Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels) and a couple more were at least serviceable (e.g. Derrick Dockery), the O-line has been largely an after thought, going unaddressed during the draft. In this Millennium, none or one linemen were (was) drafted in 2013 (0/7 picks), 2011 (1/12) 2009 (1/6), 2007 (0/5), 2006 (1/6), 2005 (0/6), 2003 (0/3), 2002 (1/10) and 2001 (0/5). That's 9 out of 14 years.

Considering that 4 Hogs mainstays (McKenzie, Jacoby, Bostic, and Schlereth) were drafted in the late rounds or went undrafted back in the 80's and early 90's (meaning they would ALL go undrafted today), I say compile as many linemen as they can.

To be fair about Larsen, he was a rookie last year, and not many pure centers get drafted.  That being said, looking at his profile, that seems to be his main issue: he's best suited as a center and probably doesn't have much versatility. 

But, he's a young player who still has potential in front of him. While nothing to get super excited about, adding young talent to develop along the OL is always a good thing.

Agreed, and it appears he had a great senior bowl showing in 2014 but his lack of versatility knocked his value during the draft. I've seen numerous people wanting us to spend a mid-late round pick on OC...well a move like this negates that need.

Again your right, nothing to get super excited about but a logical move in our circumstances.

Archived