Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JOE BARRY AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TK

Yeah, and our records still sucked over that time period. When we hired Shanny his goal was to create more pressure by converting to the 3-4 and also to confuse QBs which were supposed to both create more sacks and turnovers. But we were saying under Gregg and Greg that rankings weren't that important especially when you're up 16-10 in the 4th quarter and your #4 ranked defense allows the game winning TD drive late in the 4th, which happened all too often these last 22 years.

All true but in retrospect some of those defenses were like the 85 Bears compared to what we had under Shanny and since.  Our offense back then was mostly inept.   Didn't we set a playoff record at the time against Tampa, won a playoff game with the least amount of offensive yards ever.  I love Gibbs but I can't say in his 2nd stint it was the offense that was the team's strength, it was the defense.  Granted and I said so in my post, the defense was good but not great but hard to argue for most of that time it wasn't above average.  It hasn't been above average arguably since. 

Nobody wants the job. Our last resort was Barry. SIGH.....

Huh? If Fangio or others coaches don't want the job they wouldn't interview.

Fangio would have cancelled the interview like other candidates have on other interviews.

Everyone reported that Wade wanted the job

I think the notion that coaches don't want to coach here or any NFL team is fan talk imo

I'll say this, he's fought his way back from the Detroit Lions debacle with those jobs.

We'll see about him.  Have a reserved feeling about this hire.  But if you give anyone the right horses it's difficult to lose the race.

Which doesn't make me feel better about him at all. I'm hoping there's a full scale press conference on this so I can get a feel for this guy and what his attitude is.

Which doesn't make me feel better about him at all. I'm hoping there's a full scale press conference on this so I can get a feel for this guy and what his attitude is.

Nah, not for a coordinator.  I think they speak every Thursday during the season.

Iirc Jay mentioned keeping 34. Which would make sense because that is our current base defense and Barry's recent coaching experience is from a 34 front.

But I guess we'll see 34 or 43 base.

His coverage roots suggest Tampa-2 but Pagano plays a lot of man.

Keep up old man....

Zac Boyer @ZacBoyer  ·  Jan 20

Gruden on tweak to defense: "It’s not a two-gap 3-4. It might be more of a shoot-the-gap-type of 3-4, a get-up-the-field-and-rush-them 3-4."

0 replies 21 retweets 5 favorites

EDIT:  So basically, we just hired a guy to run Wade's defense who is younger, energetic, and has less experience and success.  Also, I saw somewhere that he picked up some 46 principles from his time in San Diego, probably leftover from when Rivera was still their DC. 

Should be interesting, Lord knows we need to simplify things.

I screwed those stats that I posted earlier up ... wrong years

beyond that ... yeah I guess much of their D Roster talent was bad (like ours unfortunately).  First thought re: your info is ... why weren't these guys gone after 2007?

Easy, Matt Millen wasn't gone until September 2008. It'd be one thing to see guys our of the league 3 or 4 years later, but this is a defense with many of the most significant contributors gone immediately after the 0-16 year. And not just gone from the team, but out of the league. This team isn't even that bad.

For instance, we cut Rambo, he was picked up and had a 2 int game later in the year. If we cut any of our starters, minus Clark and Merriweather, I'm sure they'd all find jobs. Maybe not all as starters, but most of the 2008 Lions LEADING TACKLERS were out of the league ONE YEAR LATER. That says something about how bad that talent level was.

Huh? If Fangio or others coaches don't want the job they wouldn't interview.

Fangio would have cancelled the interview like other candidates have on other interviews.

Everyone reported that Wade wanted the job

I think the notion that coaches don't want to coach here or any NFL team is fan talk imo

I'd certainly say that Snyder's management style can't be considered a plus. 

The atmosphere and corporate culture at Redskin Park sounds like a **** show. If I was a decent, in-demand candidate - all else equal, I'd probably opt to work somewhere else. 

Hope that changes with new GM but not sure he influences coaching and/or organizational culture the way the owner does.

I am not going to judge Joe Barry based on where Detroit's D was ranked.  That was 6 years ago.  6 years is a pretty long time.

Plus, do you all relize that he is a 3-4 guy now, not a tampa 4-3?  A completely different coach based on the scheme alone.

If his failures in Detroit were mainly due to lack of talent (not surprising given how horrendous Matt Millen was), then at least we have a shot to see how he really is with Scot taking over the talent evaluation reigns. 

Only downside - we won't see Scot's impact for 3 years at least.

Rankings only tell part of the story.  The NFL now is all about Sacks and forced Turn overs.  Get the ball back for your offense on a short field.  To me, putting too much into defensive rankings is like putting too much into the height-weight-speed categories in the combines. 

I think you'll see Barry run more of a hybrid scheme.  Where sometimes they have a 3-4 look and others a 4-3.  Most of the game is played in nickel now anyways with all the spread formations.  So the base defense doesn't matter that much.  I like what Jay is doing by encouraging flexibility.  Configure yourself to take away the other teams strength.  Which is what Beli-cheat has done for years.

The only thing that disturbs me now is this little gem of a tweet:

Rich Tandler retweeted

Heard Fangio wanted to bring Donatell to Redskins, but they wanted to keep Raheem Morris... hence Chicago.

What does Morris have on Snyder and Bruce Allen?!?!? Did Snyder cut down more trees that only Raheem knows about? 

I'd certainly say that Snyder's management style can't be considered a plus. 

The atmosphere and corporate culture at Redskin Park sounds like a **** show. If I was a decent, in-demand candidate - all else equal, I'd probably opt to work somewhere else. 

Hope that changes with new GM but not sure he influences coaching and/or organizational culture the way the owner does.

I don't see how this is a response to my post though? All this post does is explain why you think people wouldn't want to work here despite the fact that we had several candidates come in for interviews and none declined.

I'm sure this will work out wonderfully.

Hmm, this is difficult since I really don't know you. .......

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here and saying........... sheesh this is difficult........

Yeah, I'm gunna say....... SARCASM. 

This has the feel of a whole bunch of sarcasm. I could be wrong I'll admit. But it passes the smell test. 

I am not going to judge Joe Barry based on where Detroit's D was ranked. That was 6 years ago. 6 years is a pretty long time.

Plus, do you all relize that he is a 3-4 guy now, not a tampa 4-3? A completely different coach based on the scheme alone.

True and not true, I'd say. After being fired in Detroit, he was picked up by Raheem in Tampa where he was involved with the 4-3 again. Then, after everyone was fired there, he landed a job in the college ranks, where he was part of another defense that ran a 4-3. It wasn't until he landed in SD as a position coach a few years ago that he started being around the 3-4. Makes it rather dubious when Jay singles him out as being a great fit because of his 3-4 expertise. Barry has spent 11 of the past 14 seasons or so, running a 4-3, and has no experience with a 3-4 as anything more than a position coach.

That being said, I'm not sure it matters that much. Sounds like Joe wisely wants to run multiple fronts, to be very aggressive when in the 3-4, and to play a lot of downs in the nickel and dime. Those are all good things, and he seems like a good coach, motivator and decent X&Os Guy.

My main concerns are the way he was hired, why he was hired, how bad his support staff will be, why some good assistants will be replaced and terrible assistants likely retained, and how a novice DC with subpar talent will fair in tandem with a novice head coach and OC that are already under water. Probably not a pretty picture.

I'll try to keep up with your post that said the same thing I said.

Nah... yours was more of a "we'll see...."

Mine was more of a "here it is".

I think I would rather have Garret Morris at this point. Bam. Mercury. Anyone without Tampa in their resume

That is a great idea for a thread, Randy.  Which Morris would you take...

Yep, I hear you and I'm kind of grasping at straws ... but when Fangio was  hired by the Niners, I bet fans were saying, "have you seen his career over the last 9 years, it was bad."  And then boom, they were loving him. 

He might be a good coach, but having players like Willis, The Smiths, and Co. will make you look like a genius. 

I'm just saying, let Scot shop for the groceries , and let's not be too quick to completely write off the Barry hire.  

Excellent point here.  If you look at his record, the defense was worst than it began for three straight teams.  That looks really bad.  Then when he gets some talent his D's are great.  When he was hired by the Niners his record was not good.  Much like Barry.  This is one of the best points I have seen in all the discussion.

I will be shocked if he stays more then one year.

They kept Haz for 5 years. He didn't even deserve the first but he got FIVE!!!

Snyder would've been smart to fire everybody from Bruce Allen on down as soon as he brought up the possiblilty of keeping Haz after firing Shanahan and Son because the guy just has no excuse for being the DC in the first place.

I see no reason to ever not be optimistic as a fan. It sucks to feel this divide, but I hope most of you overly dramatic, know it all assholes have to eat a lot of ****.

Alrighty then....

Can't say that I'm thrilled with the way this turned out but I think we all should take a moment to reflect and realize that we have a clean slate on our hands here.  Who wouldn't have given their right arm to see the back of Haslett at this time last year? Am I right?!

We'll, he's gone and we should all take a moment to remember to be thankful and embrace the breath of fresh air wafting through here.

Go get em, Joe Barry!!!

Heard Fangio wanted to bring Donatell to Redskins, but they wanted to keep Raheem Morris... hence Chicago.

I think I would rather have Garret Morris at this point. Bam. Mercury. Anyone without Tampa in their resume

I'll just be sitting over here in the corner crying. 

Archived