Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remember when Journalists were saying "The coaches like Cousins more"...

JoeWolf990

This isnt a Kirk Cousins thread, although it does involve him. For most of training camp and right until Cousins had that game against the Eagles, journalists (locally and some nationally) were trumpeting sources from the coaching staff about their belief that Cousins is better than RG3 for this offense.

Now that Cousins has been benched after poor play, what does that say about our coaching staff? Does this make you question them?

More than anything else for me, why is it hard for coaches to adjust to the talent they have? Why are they so rigid in their system?

Just a few questions. And again, this is not a Cousins thread.

The Redskins coaches don't have talent, so what would they adjust to?

this is a head coaching question in the NFL in general. Coaches tend to believe their system can make any talent better.

In the case of the Skins, I dont know why it was important to make RG3 into a strict pocket passer and force him to in fit in the system instead of making the system fit him.

In the case of the Skins, I dont know why it was important to make RG3 into a strict pocket passer and force him to in fit in the system instead of making the system fit him.

Well it wasn't Gruden's idea that RG3 had to be a pocket passer, that started long before he was a twinkle in his Bruce Allen daddy's eye.

You're looking at this the wrong way, the media was saying that from their "sources" to make a story.  Any shot they can take at our QB for some reason they take it.  I don't believe for a second Jay Gruden ever said Cousins is better than RG.  Don't get sucked into the media ploy for your ratings, that is the motivation behind every thing that they say or make up!!

Yeah, I never heard a coach say it.  I heard Theismann say it.  I heard reporters say it.  I heard ESers say it.  Coaches certainly never outwardly trashed either quarterback.  To do so would be foolish, but it might also be equally foolish for these coaches to confide in reporters their private likes or fears.  Even more so with a regime that just got here.  Gruden and company have no relationship with the media to feel comfortable enough to let loose private feelings.  More, there has been an antagonistic relationship between the Redskins and the media (except for with some of the pro-shanny guys) for a long time.

So, I give unnamed sources the weight it deserves. 

That said, Cousins is more of a typical prospect.  You know exactly what box he fits into.  That's a comfortable feeling.  Griffin requires more imagination and skill which is more exciting, but dangerous.  I could also imagine in practice during the preseason when the pressure was low and Cousins was looking good people were excited about him.  After all, if he was performing like he did in the preseason and against the Jags... who wouldn't want THAT guy!

When Jay came into town, there was plenty of talk about not having a system and doing what best fits the makeup of the football team.  This I haven't seen thus far in his tenure.  I don't doubt for a second that he probably felt like Kirk was the better man for the job.  Clearly, Kirk looked better in preseason and most likely looked better in practice.  Unfortunately for everyone involved, Kirk poops the bed when the lights are on and now Jay is probably questioning everything about taking this job.

Thiesman took the cake. He was reported as saying when KC misses a throw its like when LeBron misses a shot. It's so unbelievable.

The 'sources' from New England to, where are those football minds.

It does show to go ya. Everybody is FOS and don't know nothing.

I've known this... RG3 has tremendous potential and is not purely a 'option QB'. I mean, am I crazy if he didn't make about 10 sick throws alone in Dallas Turkey day game. Kid can play anywhere.

We're gonna be ok

Now that Cousins has been benched after poor play, what does that say about our coaching staff? Does this make you question them?

What does that say about our QB's? What many have forgotten is how bad Griffin was playing before the injury. He was not even close to having this offense down, and they are expecting him to come back in 2012 form, it would sure be wonderful but that isn't happening. I don't care who QB's this team, they don't have a chance in hell to succeed with the putrid play calling from the sidelines. 

It does show to go ya. Everybody is FOS and don't know nothing.

Yeah. Gibbs & Campbell

Shanahan & McNabb/Beck

And then we have the 2012 season as real data. If you can't make it work with RG III, maybe someone else should be in the role of coaching/calling plays. 

Jay was hopefully just being PC when talking about Cousins before and after Robert's injury.  To think he's as clueless as some of the rabid agenda monkeys on ES would be despair indeed. 

Still think we need to hire a GM who then hires his HC/OC/DC who then bring in their own staff.  Tired of hearing **** like how good our OL coach is when I watch every week and see the lie.  Other teams have a rookie 4th round pick come in and play OC and game 1 he's better than our guy, let alone game 3.

Too many people with names made famous by family members on our team, starting with our head politician and HC.

All it takes is for one person officially employed by the team to make a statement about something that Kirk does better than RGIII for a reporter to be willing to say, "sources with the organization believe that Cousins offers things that RGIII doesn't."  It really doesn't take much for this type of speculative reporting to occur.  Does that mean that they didn't think he was better? No. It just means that reporting like this doesn't really mean anything - it really doesn't tell you what the coaches think, it's just controversial for the purpose of driving internet traffic - THE END.

To add insult to injury, this type of story gets WAY more press when the team looses, and sometimes the players start to believe the media rumor mongering - even if it was never true to start.  The solution to this type of crap is to cultivate the right locker room mentality and to win games - two things that the team has been seemingly incapable of doing for a decade or more.

This isnt a Kirk Cousins thread, although it does involve him. For most of training camp and right until Cousins had that game against the Eagles, journalists (locally and some nationally) were trumpeting sources from the coaching staff about their belief that Cousins is better than RG3 for this offense.

Now that Cousins has been benched after poor play, what does that say about our coaching staff?

It doesn't say **** about our coaching staff. But it DOES say a ton about sports media and their "sources"....and says even more about the fan mindset on this board that buys into things hook, line and sinker.

What we should be questioning is how accurate are these "source"-led articles and why on earth do we as fans insist on believing they are 100% accurate? But, nooooo....let's wonder what it says about the coaches instead.

There's always a difference between playing in a game and practice/scrimmage.

I think Cousins looks more like a real NFL QB than I thought he would.  I didn't think his arm was as strong as it is.

He has to learn to be smarter with the ball, which he may or may not ever learn.

It is completely believable that in practice Cousins looks like he could be a good player, but in games, he has issues throwing interceptions.

I don't think anything has been heard from coaches preferring KC to RG3.  There have been comments about RG3 and his play, but nothing about KC over RG3.  But, if your HC is questioning RG3 consistency in an interview, there may be some truth to things being said behind the doors.

It doesn't say **** about our coaching staff. But it DOES say a ton about sports media and their "sources"....and says even more about the fan mindset on this board that buys into things hook, line and sinker.

What we should be questioning is how accurate are these "source"-led articles and why on earth do we as fans insist on believing they are 100% accurate? But, nooooo....let's wonder what it says about the coaches instead.

im sorry, but the people who were peddling this narrative were from diverse audiences. If its one guy saying it over and over and making up stuff, its easy to dismiss.

When its several from different outlets, then you should take more of a listen. No matter what, a journalist at ESPN or the Washington Post and elsewhere is not going to risk their professional careers to make up a story. Those are not tabloids.

Journalists make up sources

No one within the Redskins organization has ever stated that they prefer Cousins to RG3

can they really? thats why they go to these journalists and say these things.

What does that say about our QB's? What many have forgotten is how bad Griffin was playing before the injury. He was not even close to having this offense down, and they are expecting him to come back in 2012 form, it would sure be wonderful but that isn't happening. I don't care who QB's this team, they don't have a chance in hell to succeed with the putrid play calling from the sidelines.

Griffin wasn't playing bad before the injury, in either game.

im sorry, but the people who were peddling this narrative were from diverse audiences. If its one guy saying it over and over and making up stuff, its easy to dismiss.

When its several from different outlets, then you should take more of a listen.

The "diverse outlets" you speak of...they were all regurgitating the same story tossed out by one reporter. They didn't all have their own sources all telling them the same thing:

SBNation:

"Washington could be without its franchise quarterback for an extended period -- possibly the remainder of the season -- after Robert Griffin III dislocated his ankle on Sunday. That doesn't disrupt the plans of head coach Jay Gruden, according to a recent report by UnWise Mike of The Washington Post -- in fact, it's about as convenient as could be.

Wise cites an unnamed team source familiar with Gruden's line of thinking that claims the first-year head coach believes backup quarterback Kirk Cousins is a better fit for his offense"

NFL.com:

"According to UnWise Mike of The Washington Post, Gruden himself has wrestled with the same conundrum since taking over the team.

Wise reports, via a person with knowledge of Gruden's thinking, the rookie head coach realized this summer Cousins was better suited to run the West Coast offense even if the exorbitant draft-pick investment in Griffin mandated staying the course."

Bleacher Report:

"Redskins head coach Jay Gruden has always claimed that Griffin is secure as the team's starting quarterback. But according to UnWise Mike of The Washington Post, "a person with knowledge of Gruden’s thinking" claims the new coach has for some time believed that Cousins is better off running his style of offense."

RantSports.com:

"A new report from Washington Post columnist UnWise Mike leads one to believe that Cousins has secretly been Gruden’s choice at QB all along."

Richmond Times Dispatch:

"In Monday morning's Washington Post, columnist UnWise Mike stirred the pot by suggesting that coach Jay Gruden secretly wanted Cousins to start all along."

NFL Trade Rumors.com:

"UnWise Mike of the Washington Post, citing a person with knowledge of Jay Gruden’s thinking, reports that the Redskins head coach has actually known all along that Kirk Cousins was a better fit in his offensive scheme than Robert Griffin III. According to Wise, RGIII wasn’t picking  up the new offensive system..."

But of course here is what Keim said, who is highly respected around these parts:

“As far as the idea that Gruden somehow preferred Cousins over Griffin, I asked the first-year head coach about that after his press conference Monday and Gruden said, ‘That’s just not true.’  I told him, ‘I assume if it had been the case, he would have already been in there.’  To which Gruden replied, ‘It’s funny how that works.'”

No matter what, a journalist at ESPN or the Washington Post and elsewhere is not going to risk their professional careers to make up a story. Those are not tabloids.

No, of course they wouldn't...

*ahem*

" UnWise Mike has tweeted himself into trouble.

The Washington Post sportswriter and columnist was suspended Tuesday for one month after deliberately posting a phony scoop on Twitter, an experiment to see how widely it would be picked up. Wise apologized and said he accepted the punishment for what he called a "horrendous mistake."

Remember when people on ES were saying Cousins is better? 

From Journalists I understand - they're lame and just trying to get a story printed (see jason r., sally j. and mike w.) 

But from ES? The group of people who are supposed to be true fans and voice of logic/reason? 

Then again, the sky is always falling here...

you mean, bloggers and journalists will throw **** against the wall, credit it to an 'unnamed source', knowing sometimes it will stick, thereby making them look good? and even when it doesnt, they still get their name out there, along with clicks?

no way.

seriously, since when does getting the story 'right' matter?

It wasn't just this forum, it was all of the local sports talk shows - hosts and listeners, casual fans of other teams at the water cooler at work, the pundits on ESPN and NFL Network.  It was Kirk Cousins mania after he beat Jacksonville .

"He just has a better grasp of the system"

"He can read defenses much better than RG3"

Kirk was annointed after beating a pitiful Jacksonville team.  I was at the game and listened to the post game shows the whole way home, every single caller could barely catch thier breath trying to get out that they knew all along Kirk was god's gift to the position.

I sat back and explained to my casual fan fiance that this was all hype - no substance, Kirk is really a bum and it will show itself sooner than later.  I've guzzled a ton of Skins Kool-Aid in my time but this was the one instance where I just knew it was too good to be true and it was.  I was just taken aback by how EVERYONE on this earth appeared to be on that bandwagon and now we are talking about trotting out Colty freakin' McCoy on MNF against our rivals that are now 6-1.  Bizarro world.

Archived