Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter to Dan Snyder

TD_washingtonredskins

Awe poor widdle Danny... mistreated by the fans.

People would be ECSTATIC over the new owner, whoever it was. There would be a party outside of Redskins Park.

For about 5 years, and then the ****ing and groaning would resume. 

The only point that I am trying to make is that DAN himself is a fan.  If he listens to other fans (on a message board) on how to run his team it would only get worse, and the very same people that are telling him how to run it would still be screaming at him and "armchair quarterbacking" his organization.

In my opinion, if he humbles himself, talks to other succesfull organizations and starts following thier mold, he would have better results.  Also, he needs patience.  Just like the rest of the fanbase (that he is also a part of).  But I am not a multi-billionaire that has play money to throw around either.

I'm gonna be honest.  If you had read the reaction thread from the Mike Shanahan is hired thread, we thought we got stability and "football minds" running the show.  Snyder did the right thing, we applauded him.  Just sucks it went downhill after the seattle game and making Bruce Allen the personnel guy was a disaster, judging off his history and recent moves.

This thread just screams for another reactionary rebuild before Gruden even gets year 2.  Say we sign another GM and waddle around at 7-9, 9-7 for a few years, skins fans would still scream for a reset button. Seems like this thread gets made every fall season 

Dan, ( I will not call you Mr. Snyder because you don't deserve it)  Keep Bruce, let him run the business side of things. But go out and hire the best NFL personnel man out there. I don't know who that guy is, but he's  hard core when it comes to scouting players. He will go to New Mexico to look at a back-up linebacker. He has a past of picking good players and has a formula to putting together a team. I think that guy might already be in house...AJ Smith.

Since Dan's Minions 29599wall.jpgread this board.

Dear Dan,

I wish you would sell the team.  Knowing that you want to do that; I suggest you give up control interesting in the team. Sell 55% of the team to someone who will bring compentent people to run this team.  The team can finally become a good team again and you can still enjoy the team as part minority owner of the team.

Rdskns2000

This is a very frustrating time to be a Redskins fan. 

To be perfectly honest, when we hired Shanahan I thought Snyder had finally learned his lesson.  I wasn't totally convinced of his coaching skills or personnel evaluation ability, but the main thing was that we finally had someone who would keep Snyder's hands out of the cookie jar. 

I'm not sure what happened along the way.  Clearly, the salary cap hit combined with the RGIII injury were the double whammy that changed everything.   Those two things don't happen and we're in a very, very different place right now.

But they did happen.  What I'm still struggling with is how much Snyder has been involved over the past 4 years, including the decision to draft RGIII and his role in the relationship with Griffin which ultimately led to Shanahan's ugly demise at the end of last season.  

I don't think we need to fully re-build right now.  I really don't.  I think Shanahan picked a lot of really solid players and that we have a good foundation.    But I think we need to get rid of Bruce Allen as a personnel guy and just leave him to manage the cap and similar aspects.   And we need to bring in a personnel guy.   That's obvious.   That's really it.  

I've honestly come to realize this organization will suck as long as Snyder is the owner, but if we're winning then that's all that matters.  It will still be a sub-par fan experience, we will still feel like we are being bled dry as loyal fans, etc.   It's become clear that he'll never know how to run this organization the right way.    But I can stomach all that as long as we are winning.

It's funny how dan gets praised for the moves he makes and then when they don't pan out he gets bashed by the exact same people.

It's not always about the "moves he makes". Sometimes he makes the right moves. Hiring Gibbs was the right move. I'd even say hiring Shanny was the "right move." Firing Vinnie was the "right move."

It's what he does after these moves are MADE. It doesn't matter how successful someone was before they come here. They come to D.C., that success pretty much disappears. This place destroys reputations. Tarnishes legacies. It's the way Snyder handles the day to day operations of this franchise that very much contributes to that.

That kind of rebuild isn't done anymore and Dan needs to make big moves to keep fans distracted from the fact the Redskins are one of the NFLs worst teams. What Snyder needs to do is walk away. Hire someone to serve as team President that has full control of the entire operation, including the scouting department and facilities, and the authorization to increase spending in those areas.

Snyder can't build this business the right way. It's time to let someone else take his job. He can keep sitting in his box if he likes, but he should have no contact with players or coaches.

It's not always about the "moves he makes". Sometimes he makes the right moves. Hiring Gibbs was the right move. I'd even say hiring Shanny was the "right move." Firing Vinnie was the "right move."

It's what he does after these moves are MADE. It doesn't matter how successful someone was before they come here. They come to D.C., that success pretty much disappears. This place destroys reputations. Tarnishes legacies. It's the way Snyder handles the day to day operations of this franchise that very much contributes to that.

And 99.9% of what we hear how Dan manages the day to day operations is PURELY SPECULATION. The media loves to beat up Dan, they're probably told to by the NFL in exchange for certain breaking stories. Honestly everything we hear about Dan, his insistence upon drafting and playing RG3 to the most recent leaving the Arizona game early is ALL speculative or twisted in ways to be perceived as more damaging than reality.

Remember when the whole ES fanbase went bonkers over the third party stories of RG3's father constantly being in the locker rooms or sticking his foot in his mouth and creating drama? Do you really think the dude just magically changed overnight? No, the media blew that out of proportion and moved on to something else to blow out of proportion. The media has the journalistic integrity of TMZ yet so many eat it up and take what they read/hear as fact. 

Um, yes, Snyder is the problem.   Snyder is responsible for the lack of talent and bad drafting.   Snyder has hired the people who choose the talent and make the draft picks.   That person/those people are not qualified to be choosing talent.  Snyder should know this.   For years, fans and media have been asking him for one thing:   please hire a qualified GM.  He has not done that.   

It's almost too late to keep blaming Vinny, but regardless it was Snyder who hired Vinny and refused to fire him even though he was totally incompetent. 

And 99.9% of what we hear how Dan manages the day to day operations is PURELY SPECULATION. 

I don't think so. Suing fans. Threatening to sue local papers. Pulling the race card out of desperation in that case. Charging to watch practice. Trying to humiliate his coaches. Just a few of the "highlights" of the Snyder Dark Ages that are upon us. 

Here's something that isn't speculation:

Since this dope took over the team, we have had FOUR winning seasons in 15 years (if you count 1999, which had little to nothing to do with), headed to easily make that four in 16.

He has taken a once respected team viewed among the league's elite and turned it into a laughing stock that people can't WAIT to play on Sunday. He is a piece of garbage as an owner and an utter disgrace to everything this team used to stand for.

While I don't condone how he treats fans that has no bearing on the product on the field. Humiliating coaches? That's another rabid rumor. He gave Shanahan all the opportunity in the world to prove him wrong about RG3.

Listen, you are all blaming the ONE non-football mind in the entire organization. Please place blame where blame is due. 

Dear Mr. Snyder,

PLEEEEAAASSSEEE for the love of god and everything holy, get rid of those butt ugly yellow pants.

Go back to burgundy over white, white over burgundy, white over white, anything but the yellow. Since the yellow pants have been reinstated, with the exception of 1 year, the seasons have been a laughing stock.

It could very well possibly be a curse with them, at least i'm telling myself that.

I don't think so. Suing fans. Threatening to sue local papers. Pulling the race card out of desperation in that case. Charging to watch practice. Trying to humiliate his coaches. Just a few of the "highlights" of the Snyder Dark Ages that are upon us. 

Here's something that isn't speculation:

Since this dope took over the team, we have had FOUR winning seasons in 15 years (if you count 1999, which had little to nothing to do with), headed to easily make that four in 16.

He has taken a once respected team viewed among the league's elite and turned it into a laughing stock that people can't WAIT to play on Sunday. He is a piece of garbage as an owner and an utter disgrace to everything this team used to stand for.

1946 - 1970 = No postseason appearances.  1956 - 1968 = Not a single winning season.

We are what we are. Since 1932, the Skins are 589 - 569.   With the exception of a 2 10 yr spans, we are generally around a .500 team or worse.  Would I like to change that.  HELL YEAH!, but replacing the owner will not do that.  Changing the culture of the team will. 

1946 - 1970 = No postseason appearances.  1956 - 1968 = Not a single winning season.

We are what we are. Since 1932, the Skins are 589 - 569.   With the exception of a 2 10 yr spans, we are generally around a .500 team or worse.  Would I like to change that.  HELL YEAH!, but replacing the owner will not do that.  Changing the culture of the team will. 

And I don't think the culture of the team changes without a change at the top. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

While I don't condone how he treats fans that has no bearing on the product on the field. Humiliating coaches? That's another rabid rumor.

No, it's not a rumor. He was supposed to meet with Norv after the team's loss against the Giants in 2000. He made Norv wait for him for two hours and NEVER SHOWED. Made him sit there waiting like a kid at detention. Then, the next day, he fires him. That was intentional. That was uncalled for. As much as I was happy to see Norv go, he didn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

He sends cartons of vanilla ice cream to Mike Nolan with the note, "This is what your defense looks like." What kind of a-hole does this? Is that professional?

He hires an "in-over-his-head" Jim Zorn and then brings a bingo caller out of retirement to take over play-calling.

YES, this kind of treatment of people has a bearing on the product on the field. It most definitely does. It's the poison cesspool from which all the problems spring.

No, it's not a rumor. He was supposed to meet with Norv after the team's loss against the Giants in 2000. He made Norv wait for him for two hours and NEVER SHOWED. Made him sit there waiting like a kid at detention. Then, the next day, he fires him. That was intentional. That was uncalled for. As much as I was happy to see Norv go, he didn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

He sends cartons of vanilla ice cream to Mike Nolan with the note, "This is what your defense looks like." What kind of a-hole does this? Is that professional?

He hires an "in-over-his-head" Jim Zorn and then brings a bingo caller out of retirement to take over play-calling.

YES, this kind of treatment of people has a bearing on the product on the field. It most definitely does. It's the poison cesspool from which all the problems spring.

Yes. Snyder is the stage 5 cancer that has metastasized into every lymph node and organ in our organization. 

That kind of rebuild isn't done anymore and Dan needs to make big moves to keep fans distracted from the fact the Redskins are one of the NFLs worst teams. What Snyder needs to do is walk away. Hire someone to serve as team President that has full control of the entire operation, including the scouting department and facilities, and the authorization to increase spending in those areas.

Snyder can't build this business the right way. It's time to let someone else take his job. He can keep sitting in his box if he likes, but he should have no contact with players or coaches.

You know what else wasn't done until it was? Installing an entirely new and innovative health plan and mentality in a winning organization. However, Chip Kelly came in and changed his players' schedules, nutrition, etc. and has his team rolling and in first place of the division they won in his first season. 

I do agree with your point about letting someone else run the football operations. I think Allen as the CEO-ish guy is fine, but we need a true GM to run all the football ops and personnel department. 

Change the culture? Snyder is the reason for our current culture.

Again, refer to my previous post.  The record speaks for itself.  The Skins are a Perennial .500 ish team, with the exception of 2 10 year spans where they won.

Snyder is NOT the reason for the current culture.  Has he enabled it? Sure, by not allowing the football people handle the football issues.  The fact is the Redskins have historically been mediocre.  I dont like it any more than you do. 

Dear Dan,

1. Identify football's top 3 candidates to run your personnel evaluation team
  2. Hire one of them
  3. Include a veto clause in their contract so they can overrule you and Bruce
  4. Ensure this is someone who can work with the coaching staff (hire consultants to ensure a smooth transition if necessary)
  5. Make a solemn promise not to interact with players or discuss football with your operations people until we have won a Super Bowl and keep it

Thank you,

Darrell Morrow

Fan since 1972

Disappointed, disillusioned and depressed by my Redskins

Archived