Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

"@ john_keim:  I enjoy analyzing football. would enjoy a season where that matters for more than, oh, five weeks."

The season is over.  All of the waiting we've done over the last 9 months, get ready to do it again.  Isn't this franchise fun?

We sat through the playoffs and watched, saw a bad superbowl, killed the time until free agency started (mostly with details about a coaching search), and started getting energized for football again.  Excitement building about aquisitions like Hatcher, Jackson, Clark, and Roberts.  How will defenses cover all those weapons at once?  How awesome will Kerrigan and Orakpo look with a push up the middle?  How will Haslett use his new toys now that Shanahan isn't meddling? 

Then, the draft.  More pent up excitement as we take a highly ranked RT and G that nobody has ever heard of.  Now, the offensive line is coming together!  With all of the weapons around him, how can RGIII fail?  Morris, Reed, Jackson, Garcon, Roberts... 

BOOM!  Did anyone get the license plate of the truck that just ran us over?  Here we are wrapping up September, and we're 1-3 with the two best teams in football lined up for the next two games.  We are not likely 1-5, we are 1-5.  We are going to get embarassed again on national TV and "playing for pride" mid-way through October.  We should look at these next two games as what is our course of least embarassment, not what kind of gameplan could we put together to compete.  I'll save you the suspense, we can't compete.  We suck.

Just shut it down.  Concede the season.  At 1-5 our only hope would be to go 9-1 if we want to get anywhere near the playoffs.  This roster should never be confused with a team capable of .500 ball, much less a 9-1 run.

1.  Shelve Griffin.  Blame a 'lingering' foot injury.  Nothing good will come from him stepping on the field with this cast of losers.  Stash him for next year, let him work on his game at practice.  Give him that year on the bench that developing QB's need, use the ankle injury as an excuse to keep the media off.  If you feel like you MUST play him, fine.  No more read option nonsense.   Hell, no more waggles and boots.  Make him drop back and throw from the pocket on every play in the interest of reps and devlopment.

2.  Put Moses out there at RT, let him get some game experience.  We will suck with or without Moses at RT this year, might as well develop a player.  I would actually be in favor of benching Trent Williams as well, but I know that's not realistic.  Not because he's bad, but to save him for a season that will actually matter.  We know Trent Williams can play, he might be the only legitimately talented player on our Team.  (I define talent in this league as a guy you could trade for a #1.  Spare me the "what about Morris/Reed/Garcon" BS)

3.  Put Murphy in for Orakpo.  Orakpo will not be here next season, there is absolutely no point in him being on the field.  This is doing nothing for our player's development.

4.  Put Long in for Chester.  Keep Leribus on the field.  I suspect the play last night where he got slammed backwards to the turf right off the snap was a learning experience for him.  The kind of school you don't get in practice or mini camps.  Let long get the same kind of reps. 

Let me make something clear... I DON'T CARE if these guys aren't as good as the starters they are replacing.  The point is to build a core for the future, or at minimum, find out what you have so you can then move on if needed this offseason.  My guess is that someone like Moses would get better by playing 12 NFL games.  Ditto Murphy and Long.  Whats the worst that could happen?  We give up sacks and lose games?  We don't generate QB pressure with long out there? hahaha

5.  Play for the #1 overall pick.  I can dream, can't I?  It will never happen, too many corporate seats need to get filled week to week and Snyder would never allow that kind of drain on his bankroll.  Helicopters, custom suits, and fancy dinners to pay for.  Besides, Bruce Allen lacks the confidence of someone who could think that big, as does Gruden.  They are not proven in this league and could never volunteer to go 1-15, though that is exactly what should happen for the long term health of our franchise.  Most likely what we will see are a few pointless victories in November and December to put us out of our ideal draft positions, but I digress, there will be Teams hungry to trade up to take Winston.  We should be there to capitalize.  That is the kind of trade we could make that could set us up to infuse our roster with enough talent to compete in this league.

6.  I get that Snyder would never actually hire a GM or Front Office Exec that would stand up to him and challenge him and tell him, when needed, that he is an idiot.  Snyder wants and needs a buddy... a yes man.  A guy he can bring into his world that will affirm his worldview - look no further than the parade of characters we've seen in the front office since Day 1.  We need to accept that as Redskin fans, but perhaps we can find a way to get around it.  Fine, Dan... keep your buddy Bruce as Executive VP.  Take him around in your private plane and let him do the yessing.  But, let's let Bruce Allen hire a GM that will challenge Bruce Allen.  I want a GM who will come into the building and point blank tell Bruce that he is doing it wrong and the organization has been doing it wrong for years.  That it needs to be overhauled.  Scouting, personnel, draft strategies, free agency, player development, the entire thing.  Sorry Bruce, I'm sure that will suck to have your new employee basically telling you that you are incompetent, but we as fans are asking you to take one for the Team, so to speak.  Do it for Redskins fans everywhere.  Throw your ego out the window and be the guy to insulate Dan Snyder from football operations, not the guy actually making football decisions.

7. At an average age of 26.44, the Redskins are one of the oldest teams in the league.  We need to get younger.  The only thing worse than sucking is being old and sucking.  That's us. Look at last season, we went 3-13, who did we develop?  Nobody.  We just got a year older, and we brought in older guys to shore up our defense.  I think this goes back to #6

8.  At the earliest, building the right way, we are looking at 2016.  If we try to compete and win games this season, expect it to be much longer.  Anyone remember the Seattle victory a few years back?  (SHF does).  Look at what that pointless victory cost us.  We are still paying for it.

9.  I think we could probably sign Robert this offseason to a cap friendly 4 or 5 year deal, something that would not break the bank, and allow us to build the roster.  All we need is a decent QB back there, we don't need Superman if we do it the right way.  The 2012 roster needed superman because it stunk.  A good roster only needs a guy to take a snap and either hand off or throw a pass in a clean pocket.  Or, after waiting 3 to 5 seconds, scramble for 8 yards.  You know, Russell Wilson.  I think RGIII is capable of playing that position, now. 

"We are not likely 1-5, we are 1-5". oh, really? did i miss the upcoming 2 games? what was the final score?

lol. posts like that make me embarrassed to be a part of this franchise. havent you heard "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY"??? we are not 1-5. we are 1-3 right now. we have a chance to be 2-3 next week, all we need is a win.

Let me save most of you the trouble of responding.  Choose one of the following:

[ ] What kind of fan wants us to lose?  It's only week 4!  We can still win a few games and make a run!  You suck as a fan

[ ] lol save Griffin lol what kind of idea is that lol let's think about that logic lol

[ ] It's Dan Snyder's fault, we need a real GM

[ ] I think that Cousins guy might not be so good

[ ] Leave Cousins alone!

[ ] Fine, leave Griffin alone!

[ ] You're an idiot

If RG3 is physically healthy after the bye, he needs to play.  The guy needs reps....I don't want to have 2015 as another "learning" year.

Man, in the 14 years of ES, I don't think I've ever seen the membership this down.  Folks, this is a first year head coach.....yeah, I know....Chip Kelly......but that is the exception.  Normally there is pain involved. But, as usual, you guys bought into the hype.

Great post.  But, honestly, we have the worst owner, organization and reputation in all of sports.  There is no strategy that will restore the pride, competency or winning if that plan does not include a change of ownership.  Us 40+ year old Redskins lifers should make the end of the Snyder era our core goal and our singular mission going forward.  Boycott games, boycott concessions, hammer this regime constantly on any and all social media, etc - I'm open to suggestions.  It is the only way and the sooner we get this ball rolling, the better.

"We are not likely 1-5, we are 1-5". oh, really? did i miss the upcoming 2 games? what was the final score?

lol. posts like that make me embarrassed to be a part of this franchise. havent you heard "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY"??? we are not 1-5. we are 1-3 right now. we have a chance to be 2-3 next week, all we need is a win.

There is no I in Team.

One game at a time.

Um....Let's play two!

Oh ****...wrong sport.

What's even more embarrassing are fans like you that are more embarrassed by the fans than you are of the teams play. It's the fans fault!

Agree with almost all except nobody is moving up for Winston. He's not a first round pick.

Well whatever, I'm not much of a draft guy admittedly. 

At worse, we're picking number 1, and our 2nd round selection is more of a late 1st round selection than it is a 2nd.

I'll take it either way

Gotta say i agree 100% with just about everything you said. Especially #1. This o-line is not built for a QB to learn to throw from the pocket. If you can get the ball out in 1.5 seconds its sufficient. But Robert needs time and this line will get him killed. 

If by the time he is ready to play we are 1-7 i would be very....very hesitant to put him back in.  Most players will be checked out by that point....yes game-reps are what he needs to develop and become the player i think we all believe he can become...however he needs quality game-reps and i dont think thats something we can provide him with right now.   

Well whatever, I'm not much of a draft guy admittedly. 

At worse, we're picking number 1, and our 2nd round selection is more of a late 1st round selection than it is a 2nd.

I'll take it either way

That's probably where he'll go. Late 1st, early 2nd. WITHOUT the off the field stuff. Now, who knows.

Totally agree about Moses and Murphy though. Nothing to lose now. On size alone, Moses will ensure guys have to take longer routes to the QB.

You pretty much nailed it.

I agree with every single point. Especially points 2-4.

Let the younger guys play and develop. There is no reason to see Polumbus and Chester get abused week in week out. Might as well let that be Moses and Long and have them learn from it.

Yup, but for some reason we never let the young guys play. We should have been doing it freaking 3 years ago....but they always push the mentaility of we are one or two guys away.....

It is sobering when Zoony gives up after week 4. But he's right in alot of his post. This franchise needs an enema. It needs to be completely flushed out and rebuilt. I do think we will end up with a top 5 pick regardless. We just suck that bad. Our first string has some talent. But the depth is just pathetic. And we are injured right now.

About the only thing I dont agree with. Is signing Griffin long term. Pick up his 5th year option and make him earn his next contract. I for one dont want to see a 5 year deal for a player that cant stay on the field.

Let me save most of you the trouble of responding.  Choose one of the following:

[x ] What kind of fan wants us to lose?  It's only week 4!  We can still win a few games and make a run!  You suck as a fan

[ ] lol save Griffin lol what kind of idea is that lol let's think about that logic lol

[ ] It's Dan Snyder's fault, we need a real GM

[ ] I think that Cousins guy might not be so good

[ ] Leave Cousins alone!

[ ] Fine, leave Griffin alone!

[ ] You're an idiot

If RG3 is physically healthy after the bye, he needs to play.  The guy needs reps....I don't want to have 2015 as another "learning" year.

Man, in the 14 years of ES, I don't think I've ever seen the membership this down.  Folks, this is a first year head coach.....yeah, I know....Chip Kelly......but that is the exception.  Normally there is pain involved. But, as usual, you guys bought into the hype.

Chip Kelly, both Harbaugh's, Tomlin, Mike Mccoy....the list goes on and on. It's not the exception to be a successful HC in your first year. You just need the backing of a good organization. Which Gruden does not have.

I wasn't kidding when I said in the Jax-Was prediction thread that it could very well determine who picks #1 overall in the 2015 draft.

Prior to the season I predicted a 5-11 season and thought I was being conservative. I now think I was being very aggressive with that prediction.

Chip Kelly, both Harbaugh's, Tomlin, Mike Mccoy....the list goes on and on. It's not the exception to be a successful HC in your first year. You just need the backing of a good organization. Which Gruden does not have.

yah it's crazy what talent does in this league, isn't it?  It's almost like it matters ;)

Archived