Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

To be fair, I think we only ran on 4th down with Redd because there was no need to tempt the injury gods with a FG attempt when Forbath already is fighting a lingering groin injury.

Nah, kicking the field goal would be "running up the score" in coach speak.  That's why I was so happy when Redd scored cause I wanted us too.  It's in effect a way to give the ball back and show the other team you are a good sport.

Redd was having none of that.  And I like that in a rook.  Be hungry and cash in young man. :D

I have been one of the fans who look back to last season when evaluating how far he can take the team. This means I was not optimistic that he could win games consistently.

Today I found out why I may have been wrong- Gruden's scheme.

Kirk went 0-3 last season in Shanny's scheme. I don't know if he'll make the playoffs this season but Captain Kirk will shine under Jay Gruden... maybe brighter each year for the next 3-4 seasons. 

Last years defense and special teams were a joke.  The scoreboard wasn't a fair evaluation of the either QB.  What they did in those games is.

We know that Griffin struggles a lot with fundamental QB stuff and Cousins has obvious limitation in down field arm strength.  As long as Cousins is allowed to throw the ball 20 yards and in and still win, we will be fine.  If we go behind quickly by a couple of scores, I'm not so confident.

That's why it was so important to get WRs who are great at running precise routes, catching the football and decent to good at YAC.  They will thrive in this system with the 8 car.

UnWise Mike has a new article up saying Gruden always preferred Cousins but felt powerless to do anything but hope RG3 turned into the QB he wanted.

And that the locker room seemed bizarrely happy.

Even if this is all true... I mean, what a douche. RG3 just suffered his second bad injury in two years and Wise's first instinct was to stir the pot.

That guy is a true piece of ****.

Bizarrely happy? They won a ****ing football game, rather they completely dominated a ****ing football game in every aspect. They can't be happy about it?

I can't believe he has the balls to call himself a journalist.

That guy is a true piece of ****.

Bizarrely happy? They won a ****ing football game, rather they completely dominated a ****ing football game in every aspect. They can't be happy about it?

I can't believe he has the balls to call himself a journalist.

nope. they have to be sad about it. they have to be depressed. no happiness in my locker room!!

I'm equally excited to watch this new offense take shape no matter who is our trigger man. Let's face it, if Gruden is the answer his tenure will span the careers of many QBs.

I've always been uncomfortable with how quickly some fans have boiled this team down to just RG3 since 2012 (the FedEx crowd chanting his name after Morris dominated the Cowboys to win the division, for example). There is no bigger team sport than football so my primary concern is that we establish a Gibbsian identity under Gruden and look like we did today with interchangeable parts all over the field.

I'll ride with Cousins and see what happens when Griffin is healthy again.

UnWise Mike has a new article up saying Gruden always preferred Cousins but felt powerless to do anything but hope RG3 turned into the QB he wanted.

Even if this is all true... I mean, what a douche. RG3 just suffered his second bad injury in two years and Wise's first instinct was to stir the pot.

Wise is an idiot and is at war with the Redskins. This is known. I wouldnt pay attention to his garbage. QB controversy was an easy pot to stir, now he will have to be creative to try and start up drama over nothing. Cant wait to see what he comes up with as it will surely come with some laughs.

Haven't written here in years... today I guess warrants a return.

I love Griffin. I'll never forget what he did in 2012. And in my eyes, right now, he's still the starting QB of this team. BUT--we (and by "we", really I mean "I") need to change my thinking about the appropriate way to move forward. 

We'll know a lot more tomorrow, so to some degree there's no sense in speculating. But in my opinion, if Griffin is out for more than 6/7/8 weeks then it has to be Cousin's job to lose. 

I understand the custom that a player can't/shouldn't lose a job due to injury. With just about any other position on the field, I'm all for that. It sends the right message to the team, and shouldn't be discounted... but with quarterback it's just a different story. The position is too important, and the right guy HAS to start. 

I'm not saying that guy is Cousins. And I'm not saying it's fair to RGIII, or that RGIII can't be the guy. Like I said, I love Griffin, and I want him to be the guy. But taking absolutely everything into account, meaning health, performance, stature under pressure (in and out of games), the best guy has to play. And if Cousins just flat out WINS the job over that stretch of games, if he is good enough that the Redskins are competing for the playoffs... he has to keep the job. If he didn't, frankly, I actually think Gruden would lose more credibility in the locker room. These guys want to win. The right QB has to be in place to make that happen.

I'm trying not to make any snap judgments here. Jacksonville sucks. They're D played like sh*t, and their offensive line was historically terrible today. Even if Cousins had thrown 50% with a TD and a pick we might have pulled that one out. I'm eager to see how he performs moving forward. But if he wins the job, in my eyes, he wins the job, and I wish Griffin the best of luck and a long, prosperous career probably elsewhere.

It pains me to write this. Even as I'm doing so I can't get the 76 yd run against the Vikings out of my head. But I believe it. So there's that.

At least for one week, a lot of people here are eating their words on Kirk Cousins. He can make all the throws, he has field vision, quick release and gets the ball out on time. I do hope RG3 is ok and it really sucks that he's now on his 3rd major injury. I'm just wondering that his body might not be cut out for pro football.

I'm equally excited to watch this new offense take shape no matter who is our trigger man. Let's face it, if Gruden is the answer his tenure will span the careers of many QBs.

I've always been uncomfortable with how quickly some fans have boiled this team down to just RG3 since 2012 (the FedEx crowd chanting his name after Morris dominated the Cowboys to win the division, for example). There is no bigger team sport than football so my primary concern is that we establish a Gibbsian identity under Gruden and look like we did today with interchangeable parts all over the field.

I'll ride with Cousins and see what happens when Griffin is healthy again.

Where have you been, sir?

Don't be a stranger. :P

One things for certain, by the end of this year we'll know once and for all just what we have in QB2 and just how legit a starter or not he actually is in the pros.

Hail.

The contrast, is if QB2 doesn't pan out, we still don't know what we have in QB1 other than he is frail beyond our wildest dreams.  And we will likely have a top 10 pick if the former comes to fruition.  What then?

Haven't written here in years... today I guess warrants a return.

I love Griffin. I'll never forget what he did in 2012. And in my eyes, right now, he's still the starting QB of this team. BUT--we (and by "we", really I mean "I") need to change my thinking about the appropriate way to move forward. 

We'll know a lot more tomorrow, so to some degree there's no sense in speculating. But in my opinion, if Griffin is out for more than 6/7/8 weeks then it has to be Cousin's job to lose. 

I understand the custom that a player can't/shouldn't lose a job due to injury. With just about any other position on the field, I'm all for that. It sends the right message to the team, and shouldn't be discounted... but with quarterback it's just a different story. The position is too important, and the right guy HAS to start. 

I'm not saying that guy is Cousins. And I'm not saying it's fair to RGIII, or that RGIII can't be the guy. Like I said, I love Griffin, and I want him to be the guy. But taking absolutely everything into account, meaning health, performance, stature under pressure (in and out of games), the best guy has to play. And if Cousins just flat out WINS the job over that stretch of games, if he is good enough that the Redskins are competing for the playoffs... he has to keep the job. If he didn't, frankly, I actually think Gruden would lose more credibility in the locker room. These guys want to win. The right QB has to be in place to make that happen.

I'm trying not to make any snap judgments here. Jacksonville sucks. They're D played like sh*t, and their offensive line was historically terrible today. Even if Cousins had thrown 50% with a TD and a pick we might have pulled that one out. I'm eager to see how he performs moving forward. But if he wins the job, in my eyes, he wins the job, and I wish Griffin the best of luck and a long, prosperous career probably elsewhere.

It pains me to write this. Even as I'm doing so I can't get the 76 yd run against the Vikings out of my head. But I believe it. So there's that.

Very well stated.

RG3 is my favorite player since Taylor. When I saw the replay of his injury, I immediately thought his ankle was broken and his career was over. Hearing that it was "only" dislocated doesn't really ease my fears. I worry that he won't be able to come back with the speed, the agility, the flash that makes him who he is. Granted, he has a deadly accurate pass and throws the ball with ease. If he doesn't have the magic then his career arc gets immeasurably more difficult.

If Cousins leads and offense that puts up 30-40 points a game then there is no way you can take him out. If he shows that he is better than what he was in the last three games of last season then he should remain under center when Griffin is healthy. It really pains me to say that but you can't argue with success.

I hate to say it but I am worried that RG3's career will be summed up as one magical season in 2012 that ended in heartbreak. I hate it. Such a great guy with such high aspirations.

The contrast, is if QB2 doesn't pan out, we still don't know what we have in QB1 other than he is frail beyond our wildest dreams.  And we will likely have a top 10 pick if the former comes to fruition.  What then?

Always with the third option that has me screaming at you. :angry:

There's a reason we packed you off to serve. Yers frustrating ****er yer. :lol:

Hail.

Jameis Winston?

I'm not the least bit sold on Winston.

He had two fantastic WRs last year and an epic defense.  Thus far this year he is average.  Has all of the tools though.

If Winston shows up he's likely not ours anyway as we better not have the top pick and we had better not trade for it if we do, but QB has to be entertained.

Not to stray too far off topic, though, lol.

Work is killing me which eats into ES time! I read much more than I post lately...

I should probably take that advice. :P

Glad to see you back and on twitter today.  My new job was killing me at first but I'm back in the proverbial groove now (or at least comfy).  Hope to see more of you, brother.

Always with the third option that has me screaming at you. :angry:

There's a reason we packed you off to serve. Yers frustrating ****er yer. :lol:

Hail.

hahaha.  I'm just saying.  I was so excited when I saw him getting the ball out today it was gonna be a party at the house.  I had to leave the computer off for a good two and a half quarters after that one cause I didn't know how I felt, even watching our guys absolutely lay a beat down on the Jags. 

But I do know one thing, I am not ready to commit long and large money to Griffin with his frailty.  That just cannot happen in my opinion.  So that's something that needs to be taken into account if he is in fact done for the year and Cousins is not a good starter.

Maybe you go RT in the 1st and QB in the second if there is something you like?  It's just a problem I hope we don't have to deal with, but it's one that we need to look into. 

At least for one week, a lot of people here are eating their words on Kirk Cousins. He can make all the throws, he has field vision, quick release and gets the ball out on time. I do hope RG3 is ok and it really sucks that he's now on his 3rd major injury. I'm just wondering that his body might not be cut out for pro football.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot. I have always said Cousins was up and down. He'd make some great plays and then negate them with a silly turnover. He did not do that today. He did come in and catch the jags by surprise and they adjusted after halftime, but to fair to Kirk he also came off the bench not expecting to start or go through the week being the starter with the game plan so I think that's a wash. If he can limit his mistakes, he will do fine. I don't really buy the team gave up the last 3 games (maybe the Giants game) and he looked like a 4th round pick that needs development. But this is a new year in a new scheme and this is his chance, I expect him to step up and seize the moment. I just hope he limits the mistakes because he has the potential as he has shown at times. That quick release has been his undoing when the defense baits him showing him what he wants to see. However, with the experience he is most likely going to get the rest of the year, hopefully he recognizes that stuff as the games go by and adjusts to beat it. I hope to see us lean on the running game to help him out the first few games, but he did look sharp, comfortable and in command today. Yes it was a crappy jags team, but we normally play down to the crappy jags teams of the league and lose or barely squeak out a win. Was nice to punish someone for once, too bad the win has a storm cloud hanging over it.

I like Cousins but feel he is much more game-plan dependent than RG3. So long as Gruden is calling a good game we should be fine. However if we have a Texans situation that causes us to abandon it then it will be a rough one. Gruden is a good playcaller in the NFL as we saw with Cincy and the OC is a young wiz so hopefully they both grow into their own this season and Cousins looks like a better version of Dalton. With that, the offense pieces, and the way the D looks so far (big test next week), we could compete late in the season.

I really hope you didn't click on a washingtonpost link to read that dribble.

The locker room was happy because they played well and won. That had nothing to do with Griffins injury and only a reporter as stupid as wise could come to such an ridiculous conclusion.

The OL has been neglected for years. That it priority #1 IMO regardless of where we finish.

Again even dalton shined with this coach and a decent OL.

Please god no Winston. Just no.... No more experiments, or drafting for talent. Talent is nice but in the QB position I'd rather have solid fundamentals with the ability to move the chains.

Archived