Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The state of D.C. sports (poll)

Sticksboi05

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who is D.C.'s most popular athlete after RGIII?

2. 2. Which team is closest to a championship after the Nationals?

Combining the annual favorite D.C. athlete with a question about the state of D.C. sports.

The last few years we've done this and even got a shout out from the D.C. Sports Bog a few years back.

So the question is, who is the most popular athlete in D.C. besides RGIII and which team is closest to a championship after the Nationals?

Harper for player, Skins for team.  I think John Wall could probably be in that spot, though.  I think the Skins are the closest because of the league's parity.  The Caps are in limbo at best right now and the Wizards, though better, don't have the super star power to win in the NBA, yet.

Harper for player, Skins for team.  I think John Wall could probably be in that spot, though.  I think the Skins are the closest because of the league's parity.  The Caps are in limbo at best right now and the Wizards, though better, don't have the super star power to win in the NBA, yet.

This is a well articulated post that reflects a lot of my opinions as well. 

I'm not 100% convinced RG3 is even the most popular athlete in D.C. anymore. This time last year sure, but after last year, and after the rise of Wall/Beal, Ovie with another dominant year, and the Nats playing well again? But to answer the poll, I'll go with...Wall. Hockey is still too niche, and no one player on the Nats stands out(I think Zimmerman would easily win this if he could stay on the field, or Harper if he ever consistently plays up to his talent).

Closest to a championship after the Nats...I'll go with Wiz. The Skins need another off-season's worth of FAs/draft picks at least, and the Caps who knows with the new regime although I like the new coach, not in love with some of their recent veteran signings.

Honestly, in the last twelve months, outside of RG3, John Wall should be second most popular athlete.

Highlight reels galore

All-Star Appearance

*Slam Dunk Champion

Led the Wizards to the second round of the playoffs

Switched from Reebok to Adidas (It might not seem like a big deal, but it is. Trust me lol)

You couple that with the fact that Stras and Bryce have "struggled" (not really, but that is what most people would think) I think John Wall gets the 2nd most vote. 

I put Ovie fourth or fifth right now because it just seems like people don't care for the Caps like they did a couple of year ago. 

Oh, and I think the Redskins are closer to winning a Championship due to the fact that the Wizards would have to beat the Cavs, Bulls, Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, and other elite NBA teams. The Redskins could be closer to hang with the elite teams in the NFL than the Wizards could in the NBA>.

So my take...

Most popular athlete is really tough.  Up until this past season, it was Ovechkin in a cakewalk...3x MVP, one of the best athletes in D.C. history, wrapped up a Hall of Fame spot by the time he was 24 or 25, turned Chinatown into Capitals territory...we know the story...

But the Capitals missing the playoffs, I think that stuck with a lot of people.  But he did lead the league in goals.  I think it's neck and neck between him and Wall right now for the #2 spot with Harper in 3rd.  Harper isn't the best player on his own team.  Or #2 for that matter.  Let's put it this way, if Ovechkin and Wall walk into a bar in Georgetown, Ovechkin is served first still I think.  That might change after this season though.

Now another tough debate, closest to a title besides the Nationals.  The Redskins and Capitals are unknown commodities.  New coaches and new systems.  The Wizards have a team that just made it to round 2 of the playoffs with its two best players under the age of 24.  Of the three, I think the Wizards are the best team, but I think they are the furthest away from a championship because the NBA is too top heavy.  With Love going to Cleveland, that's a team that is better than the Wizards for the next 4-5 years.  And then there's the slew of superior Western teams.  In the NFL, you just have to get in, in the NHL, anything can happen.  A hot goalie can get you to the Cup Final.

And at the end of that long paragraph..I still don't know who is closest.  If Durant comes to D.C. in 2016 the Wizards move to #1 in a walk but that's a pipe dream.  I'm going with the Redskins because the NFC East isn't that great.  Capitals just have to get in and the beauty of the toss-up Stanley Cup Playoffs will take effect...but in a 7 game series they have no shot to beat Chicago or L.A. for example.

So...shockingly, a team that just went 3-13 is closest to a championship.

The Redskins need to prove they are better than a team that has been total garbage for the six years and that 2012 was more than a 7 game hot streak.

The Wizards are the best positioned after the Nats, although that isn't saying much. As constructed, the Wizards are probably good enough to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals, only to be demolished in 4/5 games by the Cavaliers. But I like the fact that we've positioned ourselves for 2016 to make a run at Kevin Durant. 

Closest to a championship was tough for me. Neither of those 3 are particularly close, but I just went with the Skins because technically, they would have the best chance to win one before those other 2 since football season is about to start.

Didn't even have to think about the most popular athlete. Hands down John Wall.

almighty morris is the 2nd most popular player in DC... by a country mile.   You can put the 10 top redskins on the board, before you get to harper/ovi/wall

(oh.. and i put the Wiz as nearest to a title... but really, it might be the skins.  looking at ravens and giants championship years, you CAN sneak into the playoffs, and get hot and win a title in the NFL.  That rarely happens in the NBA  -- although i would say the Mavs did it a couple of years ago, and the Spurs did it several times (not this last time, though)

Caps - Meh.  One more year of the Ovie-Backstrom-Laich-Green experiment.  No high hopes there.

Redskins - I'm not quite sold this is going to be a good year.  Their secondary is scary and they have a lack of depth.  The Skins offense could be explosive though.  So hard to tell.

Wiz - Very excited.  I can see this team winning 50 games this year.  Beal and Wall are just going to keep getting better.  They used to be a team full of jackasses and now they have guys worth pulling for.

I picked John Wall and the Skins.  DC is a football town, but all teams being equal, I think DC is a basketball town second, with all the rich history, and the Wizards are good again, and Wall is the face.  I think it's him no question from the options given.

Team though, at this point in time, I'd go with the Skins.  I like what the Wizards have done, but the NBA is such a star driven league, and the top players usually have the run.  It's rare that Spurs type teams pull it off, and even they have a guy who is probably top five all time, and a savvy point guard, not to mention great drafting.  If the Wiz land KD in two seasons, then all bets are on them, but for now, the Skins have a franchise player at one of the most important positions in Trent Williams, and another guy at the most important position who could turn out to be pretty good himself.  They have guys who can get after the opposing passer, they have plenty of offensive weapons, and I think in general, they'd be more likely to get far in the postseason if things break right.

The Caps, I enjoy Ovechkin but that team is becoming sort of a hockey version of the Atlanta Hawks, there in the postseason, no real chance of doing anything.

All I know is that the Redskins are the furthest from a championship. Just went 3-13, new system... they won't even make the playoffs. The kool-aid tastes so sweet though.

I went for Ovechkin by default on player and Caps as a team but the Wiz are mighty close, maybe even ahead of them by a smidge... strange times.

I'm starting to think no one over 30 cares about the Wizards or Caps

I remember coming home back in May after the Wiz stomped the Bulls and barely anyone even talking about it. I think ppl know J Wall's name but wouldn't be able to pick him out of a lineup

In fact, I'd say Desean is probably above Wall, beal, Ovi, and Stras.

Maybe that's just the crowd you're hanging with. 

Personally, I know plenty of people 30+ who are Wiz fans and would definitely recognize Wall.

Maybe that's the just the crowd you're hanging with.

Personally, I know plenty of people 30+ who are Wiz fans and would definitely recognize Wall.

Possibly.

I love Wall and Beal. They're two of my favorites. But I once saw them both in a Mitchell & Ness store here in Philly when they were in town to play the Sixers. Only me and one other dude recognized them.

A few more all star games will change it tho.

The Caps/ Hawks comparison was spot on.

Caps had their chance and blew it epically as they always have done.

In fact, I think ppl are starting to get tired of Ovi, which is a shame because he's had to play with an competent organization his whole career

Archived