Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The importance of the British Monarchy to America and its people.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Let me preface this by saying I'm FAR from a Royalist. That part of me left when our own Jackie O, the Princess of Wales, was murde ..... Uhmmm, sadly 'taken' from us. Although I am coming more around again with the tireless, great work her oldest son and his wife have been doing since they got together. The character traits of the Duchess of Cambridge are so like Diana it's uncanny. Kate genuinely seems to care and wants to put back. She's fast becoming a real woman of the people in the UK.

I put up a thread yesterday with the news of the Duke and Dutchess' first birth. A son who is now 3rd in line to the throne. And it's been interesting to see some responses questioning why it should be of interest at all to America as a whole. And why Americans in general care so much about the British Monarchy.

I think, with no disrespect intended, anyone questioning the importance of the British Monarchy to the US is being naive in the extreme.

Britain is your strongest allie. NO other Nation in the World has the same friendship toward you as GB. And that 'special relationship' remains as strong now as it ever has in these troubled times in terms of defence, intelligence and economically important cultural and trade ties. And the importance of the Monarchy in all that really can not be understated. Her Royal Highness the Queen is the sovereign Head of State of the UK. The World wide figure head. The importance of the Royals not only to the British economy, but the global one encompassing America is immense. The role they've played in aiding you in trade talks with their long standing cultural links for one has been worth its weight in gold to the US. And the support during times of war from a Royal lead Brirain toward America goes without saying. That may well not of been as close or friendly if Britain was open to a Dictatedship say with no Royalty.

So to me, it's not hard to see why most Americans still value that special friendship that their Country only shares with the UK. And I also think many really respect the way Britain stands by tradition in upholding its National Sovereignty. Something you've never had and something we'd ALL be far worse off without. And when a future King is born who could well have implications on Americas future as well as Britains; that's something to be uplifted over and relish.

Hell. If the birth can bring agreement between Democrates and Republicans who never agree on ANYTHING that has to be a goo thing right? Lol.

We may be a small Island 3000 odd miles away that many try diminish in worth in today's World.

But the importance of GB and her Monarchy to America really can not be downplayed.

Hail.

I personally don't follow and it doesn't interest me. With that said, I think it may be the TMZ-Paparazzi type coverage that a lot of people can do without. That's my best guess. It may also be that America has no royalty and with the strong ties you spoke so eloquently about, Americans feel that the British royalty is the closest they will get to that.

While I do agree that Great Britain and the United States share a strong bond (a bond I pray lasts until the end of time) and though the Royal Family has my respect, you can count me among the people that was flabbergasted by the amount of coverage the royal birth got on American television.

There are several reasons I was confused by it, but I think the main reason is because this nation was birthed out of a distrust of the very idea of a monarchy, especially the one in Great Britain. You can find our qualms with monarchs throughout revolutionary authors from Thomas Paine to Thomas Jefferson. After all, we fought a long and bloody war to get away from the British monarchy.

So, yes, I have all the respect (and admiration) for the British crown, but the apparent worship they get in the states (which reached a high with yesterday's birth), frankly, troubles me as an American.

I think for many Americans of Euro descent the Brits are the closest thing we have to a 'cool first cousin' that we love to hang out with - we have so much in common with them - language, diet (somewhat), music, literature, etc... except we have a President to put thru this media blitz and they have the RF (my apologies to the British PM, but you are not the king of this hill). Inevitably we're going to turn that telescope on our cousin's biggest stars from time to time.

While I do agree that Great Britain and the United States share a strong bond (a bond I pray lasts until the end of time) and though the Royal Family has my respect, you can count me among the people that was flabbergasted by the amount of coverage the royal birth got on American television.

There are several reasons I was confused by it, but I think the main reason is because this nation was birthed out of a distrust of the very idea of a monarchy, especially the one in Great Britain. You can find our qualms with monarchs throughout revolutionary authors from Thomas Paine to Thomas Jefferson. After all, we fought a long and bloody war to get away from the British monarchy.

So, yes, I have all the respect (and admiration) for the British crown, but the apparent worship they get in the states (which reached a high with yesterday's birth), frankly, troubles me as an American.

You are amazed that real-life "reality" news plays in the US? The fact that 200+ years ago our nation was "birthed out of distrust of the very idea of a monarchy" is pretty irrelevant to the current state of America's fascination with pop culture.

Hell, I would bet that half the people living in the US at this moment would opt for American royalty if polled. It would make for cool magazine covers and real-life fairy tale stories. We basically cast politicians, athletes, actors, and the wealthy as royalty here...imagine if we had some people who were bred that way.

I love the UK, am a mixture of English/Scottish/Scandanavian...and I just don't get it. Yes, I ABSOLUTELY value the US/UK alliance more than any other, and I have always had wonderful experiences with Brits whilst on the other side of the pond (and am often embarrassed by the rudeness of a few random fellow Americans). I just don't equate the monarchy with all things English. I don't understand it, just like I don't understand the obsession some have with Kardashians or Kennedys, or the latest reality TV star. I love stories about Alfred the Great, Cnut, Richard the Lionheart, Elizabeth,etc. - because they were significant players in history.

I have noticed one thing, though....it's the Jordanian monarchs who get the hottest wives!

If I may speak freely....People are obssessed with the royal family IMHO because of the real life princess thing. A princess is the living embodiment of a fantasy for a lot of people, girls in particular.

When Mother Teresa died she got almost no press because she died the same week as Princess Diana. Did this happen because Mother Teresa didn't help scores and scores of poor, sick people? No it was most likely because she was not young and attractive. It's all part of our celebrity obsessed culture.

It's interesting to read some views appreciating Britains relationship with the US; but not understanding the Monarchy within that.

This is getting onto a far deeper subject, but the World wide standing and strength of GB would be greatly altered without the Monarchy. They underpin it all. A word from the Queen in a foreign leaders ear caries FAR more weight than any PM or President ever could. It is precisely down to the fact our constitution is unwritten that the Royals can play such an important political role on the World stage with a subtle word behind the scenes.

To appreciate Britains strength, no less in what she means and continues to do for the US: you have to fully appreciate and understand the role the Royals play in it all.

The Monarchy underpins Britain on the World stage and wouldn't be much of anything without them.

Hail.

If you like reading People magazine every week, then I can see the appeal of the royal family.  They are celebs.  I have no problem with people who follow that kind of thing.

What the royal family is doing is as interesting to me as who Jennifer Aniston is hooking up with.  I just don't care.

I wouldn't care if Barack and Michelle Obama had a baby tomorrow. I surely don't care if the Royals do. They can be important to foreign relations and I still shouldn't be subjected to endless news parade. Sadly there is an audience to this stuff. My daily morning News podcast covered the royal baby and peoples reactions for a full 20 minutes. People's reactions made me cringe. Celebrity or royal worship is weird. I kept fast forwarding but the crap wouldn't end.

GHH,

I love ya to death, brother...

As disgusting/embarrassing as it may be, the priorities and though process of this country go like this:

1.  Sex

2.  Breathing

3.  Food

4.  Football

51.  Training Camp/NFL Draft

997.  Reality TV

10,062.  Apple Pie and milk

15,001.  Original or Crispy?

100,004.  Whether or not the Groundhog sees his shadow

1,000,000.  Farmer's Almanac

10,999,408.  The Royal Baby

#America

Didn't we fight a war 200 some odd years ago so we wouldn't have to care about who was heir to the throne? 

35wb4l.jpg

If I may speak freely....People are obssessed with the royal family IMHO because of the real life princess thing. A princess is the living embodiment of a fantasy for a lot of people, girls in particular.When Mother Teresa died she got almost no press because she died the same week as Princess Diana. Did this happen because Mother Teresa didn't help scores and scores of poor, sick people? No it was most likely because she was not young and attractive. It's all part of our celebrity obsessed culture.

That's how I feel and that was a very good point about Mother Teresa.

Hostility toward the British Royal Family was much more a product of the War of Independence than it was a cause. Their "beef" would have been with Parliament. It was fought much more over "no taxation without representation" and - more significantly to the subsequent course of human history - self-determination. 

Had the first been granted there certainly would not have been any bloodshed in that period and in all likelihood would have been achieved even if the colonialists had accepted the status-quo. The second is a bit more interesting and is a bit too hypothetical to discuss in any depth in this thread.

I believe that despite any anti-monarchical feeling borne out of the conflict 200 years, it really is the fairytale aspect of it that has the greatest bearing here. And a combination of the language and the fact the British Royal Family are the best example in the world of romanticism and pageantry - concretes that feeling further.

I agree with alot of what GHH says. The Queen may not be as powerful as the POTUS but she holds vastly greater influence on the world stage. My concern is that the Prince Charles doesn't hold nearly the same clout - for reasons i'm not sure. This in my opinion is the greatest argument for Charles' abdication. If the Queen lives for another ten years I believe William should assume the throne when she passes.

If Charles does abdicate it also reaffirms that the Royal Family is more than just tradition and that it is a functional insitution from which we all benefit.

Let me preface this by saying I'm FAR from a Royalist. That part of me left when our own Jackie O, the Princess of Wales, was murde ..... Uhmmm, sadly 'taken' from us. Although I am coming more around again with the tireless, great work her oldest son and his wife have been doing since they got together. The character traits of the Duchess of Cambridge are so like Diana it's uncanny. Kate genuinely seems to care and wants to put back. She's fast becoming a real woman of the people in the UK.

I put up a thread yesterday with the news of the Duke and Dutchess' first birth. A son who is now 3rd in line to the throne. And it's been interesting to see some responses questioning why it should be of interest at all to America as a whole. And why Americans in general care so much about the British Monarchy.

I think, with no disrespect intended, anyone questioning the importance of the British Monarchy to the US is being naive in the extreme.

Britain is your strongest allie. NO other Nation in the World has the same friendship toward you as GB. And that 'special relationship' remains as strong now as it ever has in these troubled times in terms of defence, intelligence and economically important cultural and trade ties. And the importance of the Monarchy in all that really can not be understated. Her Royal Highness the Queen is the sovereign Head of State of the UK. The World wide figure head. The importance of the Royals not only to the British economy, but the global one encompassing America is immense. The role they've played in aiding you in trade talks with their long standing cultural links for one has been worth its weight in gold to the US. And the support during times of war from a Royal lead Brirain toward America goes without saying. That may well not of been as close or friendly if Britain was open to a Dictatedship say with no Royalty.

So to me, it's not hard to see why most Americans still value that special friendship that their Country only shares with the UK. And I also think many really respect the way Britain stands by tradition in upholding its National Sovereignty. Something you've never had and something we'd ALL be far worse off without. And when a future King is born who could well have implications on Americas future as well as Britains; that's something to be uplifted over and relish.

Hell. If the birth can bring agreement between Democrates and Republicans who never agree on ANYTHING that has to be a goo thing right? Lol.

We may be a small Island 3000 odd miles away that many try diminish in worth in today's World.

But the importance of GB and her Monarchy to America really can not be downplayed.

Hail.

Well, the main reason we have a "special" relationship with GB is because the democrats won the White House in 1912 as opposed the republicans.  The democrats main owners had business ties with GB while the main owners of the republicans had business ties with Germany.  Had the rebulicrats won the 1912 election, we'd have most likely joined WW1 on the German side.  Since the demipubs won, we went in on the GB side.

You are amazed that real-life "reality" news plays in the US? The fact that 200+ years ago our nation was "birthed out of distrust of the very idea of a monarchy" is pretty irrelevant to the current state of America's fascination with pop culture.

Hell, I would bet that half the people living in the US at this moment would opt for American royalty if polled. It would make for cool magazine covers and real-life fairy tale stories. We basically cast politicians, athletes, actors, and the wealthy as royalty here...imagine if we had some people who were bred that way.

Add further.  When arguably one of the most historically important Americans (at least for the last  45 years) passed last year, there was little fanfare.

Hail.

Well, the main reason we have a "special" relationship with GB is because the democrats won the White House in 1912 as opposed the republicans.  The democrats main owners had business ties with GB while the main owners of the republicans had business ties with Germany.  Had the rebulicrats won the 1912 election, we'd have most likely joined WW1 on the German side.  Since the demipubs won, we went in on the GB side.

I'd dispute that on the grounds that at that point the US's military would have been completely impotent in the European theatre without the cooperation of France and the UK (who had completed blockaded Germany by then).

A much more likely scenario would have been the US would have stayed out of it completely, France, UK and Germany would have fought on for another couple of years to stalemate and at the cost of many more lives. A much less one-sided post-war settlement would have been agreed and the subsequent war twenty years later would never have happened.

Much more on-topic - the "Special Relationship" (a term I despise) had far more to do with 1939-1945 war than the 1914-18.

Edit: That's 1941-45 and 1917-18 to you guys ;) I kid.

I think our "special relationship" is going to get stronger as the European economic situation gets worse. It seems that the continued struggles with the euro are ultimately going to cause the Continent to double down on the eurocracy (despite the fact that it will happen with virtually every country involved kicking and screaming), while Britain will probably opt to shield itself from the damage by actually reducing how much its economy is integrated with the rest of the EU. If/when that happens, Britain's best bet will be to try to balance that shift by increasing its trade with the US and the Commonwealth, where growth will at least be stronger than it will be in the rest of Europe.

Thank God you guys stuck with the pound, otherwise you really wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

I agree with alot of what GHH says. The Queen may not be as powerful as the POTUS but she holds vastly greater influence on the world stage.

No disrespect, and I'm no xenophobe, but that is just delusional.

Seriously man, it's not. The far teaching World power a subtle word from the Queen can have can have a far bigger impact than that of one from a President. Although they aren't politicians, the behind the scenes role the Royals play in World affairs is seriously overlooked by many.

Influence can be far more potent than actual power man.

Hail.

Archived