Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

11 hours ago, Destino said:

Unless Lebron plans on joining his friend in Houston.  Let's wait and see who else the rockets get.  

That'd be interesting.  The issue is too many cooks in the kitchen though.  Whole lotta ball handling and not a lot of defense and reliable shot making.  Especially if D'Antoni's the coach.

One of the things that makes Golden State so much better than any other super team that's been assembled is the way their stars mesh.  It's perfect.  Durant and Curry are both elite shot makers and creators that are equally effective on and off the ball.  That's what makes them the best scorers of their generation.  And Klay Thompson is pretty unique in that he's a 20 PPG scorer on excellent splits as a pure off ball player in an age when PnR ball handling is the ticket to volume scoring.

And then of course Draymond Green is an All NBA player based almost entirely on his defense.  He is the linchpin that makes Golden State one of the top defenses in the league and gives that team their best ever scoring differentials.  Plus they have one of the best sixth men ever in Iggy.

They're the perfect construction.  A perfect mix of overwhelming top end talent and balance, playing for the perfect coach.

LeBron + Harden + CP3 would be an outrageous amount of shot creation, and maybe that'd be enough to sneak by the Warriors if they had a down season.  But it'd have no balance and a short window, so I wouldn't like their chances.

LeBron needs to team up with Kawhi and CP3 in San Antonio to rival the conditions/construction of the Warriors.

Now I'm hearing that Melo is very close to CP3. He's also close to LeBron. LeBron's close to everybody.

How are all these married guys so close living in different cities?

I hope KD and Steph, who appear not to be close to anyone, win more titles than all these guys.

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

If that's true they should fire him.  If they just traded CP3, just blow it up already.

Pretty sure that's what they're doing.  Looking at their roster makeup after the trade, they almost completely cleared off their books after next season, even with all these players they picked up. I think they'll have 2 players under contract.

So if they decide to tank (if they even have a choice now), they'll have 2 picks in the lottery and probably the most cap space in the league to go after LeBron, Paul George, Boogie Cousins, etc that may be available.

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

Now I'm hearing that Melo is very close to CP3. He's also close to LeBron. LeBron's close to everybody.

I hope KD and Steph, who appear not to be close to anyone, win more titles than all these guys.

I just hate how lovey dovey everyone is. I remember back in the 90s when guys hated each other. Shaq and Barkley fought. Miller and Starks went at it. Noone liked Rodman.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I just hate how lovey dovey everyone is. I remember back in the 90s when guys hated each other. Shaq and Barkley fought. Miller and Starks went at it. Noone liked Rodman.

It was also a different brand of basketball.  Slower pace, fewer shots, fewer points, more fouls, more turnovers, nobody wants that.  

Guys fought and hated each other cuz smacking somebody upside the head was part of the game.  

4 hours ago, DM72 said:

Older article, but they played together in AAU in high school, kept in touch over the years and their wives became best friends too, 2008 Olympics, etc. etc. 

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2011/10/paul_james_anthony_superfriend.html

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No one wanted Isaiah on the Dream Team in '92, IIRC.  Jordan had the final say but I don't think Magic was advocating for him.  

The Magic/Thomas relationship fell apart after Magic got HIV.  The rumor started that Magic got it from homosexual activity, and he believed that Thomas started it.  And he did not like the rumor at all.  At the time of the Olympics, Magic was as anti-Thomas as Jordan.  I don't think they've reconciled after all of these years.

(There's also a component of Magic becoming friends with Bird (partially because Bird was supportive when Magic announced he had HIV) and Bird not liking Thomas either (the if he was black, he'd just be another player comment).  Bird was done as a player by '92, but he was on the team because Magic talked him into it and supported him.)

Nobody wanted Thomas on that team.  The team was also chosen directly after the leave the court early season against the Bulls.  The NBA wasn't looking for a poor sportsmanship showing in the Olympics.

Edited by PeterMP

14 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The Magic/Thomas relationship fell apart after Magic got HIV.  The rumor started that Magic got it from homosexual activity, and he believed that Thomas started it.  And he did not like the rumor at all.  At the time of the Olympics, Magic was as anti-Thomas as Jordan.  I don't think they've reconciled after all of these years.

(There's also a component of Magic becoming friends with Bird (partially because Bird was supportive when Magic announced he had HIV) and Bird not liking Thomas either (the if he was black, he'd just be another player comment).  Bird was done as a player by '92, but he was on the team because Magic talked him into it and supported him.)

Nobody wanted Thomas on that team.  The team was also chosen directly after the leave the court early season against the Bulls.  The NBA wasn't looking for a poor sportsmanship showing in the Olympics.

All true points.  I remembered reading in the Dream Team book how no one wanted Thomas on the team but I think Jordan put his foot down and said it's me or him.  Magic battled the homosexual activity rumors by detailing his exploits with numerous women to ensure no one thought he could be gay.  

Bird and Magic became friends shooting that commercial in the mid 80s for the Converse Weapons, by '92 they were pretty tight.  

That said, Thomas was a damn good point guard.  I think he doesn't get remembered that well because no one liked him and then his failed stints as a front office guy have kind of overshadowed his brilliance on the court.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff