Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RANTSPORTS.COM: RG3 Should Sit Out Entire 2013 Season (POLL)

Uno Mas

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is me emptying the “hate mail” folder in my email inbox.

Yes, you read that sentence at the top of the page correctly. Robert Griffin III should just sit out the 2013 season. Not because I don’t want the Washington Redskins to succeed, but more because I do want to see a quality player (and person) like RG3 have a long and illustrious career in the NFL.

I’m fully aware of all the internet scuttlebutt about Griffin being ready for opening week–or then again, not, depending on who you talk to. It’s entirely possible that with some continued intense rehab that RG3′s surgically repaired knee will be ready to withstand the punishment of another NFL season.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/02/robert-griffin-iii-should-sit-out-entire-2013-season/?qb4TAPXiqOxkHHHO.99

Stumbled across this in my desperate search for Redskins news not related to free agency or the draft.

It's definitely a thought provoking piece.

On one hand if Robert is medically cleared and feels great and chomping at the bit to get on the field, it would be hard to hold him back, especially if Cousins struggled.

On the other hand if Robert rehabs the knee for a solid 18 months and Cousins has a solid season, I would feel much better about Roberts future AND we'd surely get compensated handsomely for Cousins when it came time to deal him.

The more I think about it, I'd be inclined to sit him for the season so we were damn certain that his $100,000,000 knee is 100% the next time he breaks a huddle.

I know that's probably not the popular choice but if Im Shanahan, I feel obligated to not only protect Robert, but also protect the franchise.

this should go in the Hows Rg3 thread there's been other idiots that have suggested or posted this same garbage! smdh probably going to be atleast 10 more of these articles written up until he proves the naysayers wrong and they have nothing to ***** about but his commercials!

I'm all for Robert playing when he and the doc say it's cool. I'm also all for a Captain Kirk show if need be. It's a pretty awesome situation to be in really, all things considered. The idea of Cousins' trade-worth going up isn't the primary idea, but it's in the coaches minds, I'm sure.

I feel like the poll answers you provided are very bias.

"Protect Rg3 and the franchise"

OR

pretty much "Rush him back"

there has to be an imbetween. Sitting rg3 out for an entire season would cause way too much drama it would be a media circus and a huge distraction the following season especially if Kirk did a solid job. Obviously Rg3 should not come back as soon as he is "medically cleared" he has to get himself into "football shape"

I feel like your poll answer should be "Keep him out" Or "Keep him out until he is cleared to play without risk of further injury"

As is stands now the poll is like protect the franchise or watch it burn.

I've stated this before to others, RGIII should play, shortly after rehab but not immediately. No sitting out the season unless he gets a snag in rehab that keeps him going into rehab into the first quarter or more of the regular season. With that said, unless he can be cleared and ready to play by sometime in training camp, or at least enough time to get 2 or 3 preseason games under his belt, Kirk Cousins should be the starter for at least the first 3 weeks.

This has nothing to do with "protecting" RGIII and his knee. It's more to do with the fact that his timing will be way off. When he returns his timing would be off a bit anyway. With practice and actually throwing to his receivers the timing will begin to return. But that's just my 2 cents.

Sitting out an entire season doesn't mean anything in terms of fully recovering. See: Fred Davis. After sitting out most of last season, is anyone "damn sure he's 100%" like you apparently would be with RG3?

Once he's medically cleared, he plays. No use having him on the team if we don't use him out of fear of not being able to use him later.

I searched and didnt see this posted. My bad.

Is it idiotic to consider protecting the biggest investment this team has ever had?

Seems harsh.

It's idiotic because it comes from people who think they know more than the doctors do.

I didn't realize there were so many medical experts out there. :rolleyes:

It's idiotic because it comes from people who think they know more than the doctors do.

I didn't realize there were so many medical experts out there. :rolleyes:

It's also idiotic because it insinuates that playing him as soon as he's medically cleared is somehow mutually exclusive to protecting him.

If he's medically cleared, then he can play. That's the definition of being medically cleared.

I'm in the wait and see camp.

Once RGIII is "healthy" I want him to get strong. A little extra caution is probably wise. On the other hand, there is no safe game to play football. It's a violent sport. If the doctors believe he is good to go and RGIII feels comfortable and confident then time to let fly.

Bench him for 2013? Maybe that'll be a good idea, but it's very premature to decide that now.

Archived