Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best gift you got or gave this holiday season?

Burgold

The Redskins have been giving me a pretty good gift this season. I was taken out to the SAG screening of Les Miserables and got to meet Anne Hathaway. Not much in the way of material gifts this year, but there's not much I need.

Probably the nicest gift I gave was family team with my parents and others. Making dinner, playing games, seeng a movie... sure, the nephew might say it was the ipad he got, but what does he know. :silly:

I asked the wife for a "decent surround sound system." No idea she was gonna buy me the BOSE Cinemate I was gawking over a while back! I broke it in with the Dark Knight Rises blu-ray and got goosebumps instantly. Can't wait to watch some football with this thing!

got Redskins boxers, redskins socks (2 pairs, black and red), redskins pajama pants, redskins iHip DJ style headphones, an HP Envy Smart Touch laptop, a Redskins team gnome, lots of CDs, lots of comic books, and 300 dollars from my grandparents :) for christmas shopping, i did a pretty good job. found 4 star trek pint glasses for my dad back in long island before heading home for the break. got my sister some nice jewelry from Finks at Tysons. got my brother an iHome docking station for his iphone. got my mom an ipad mini keyboard. pretty good day :)

I gotta a little tipsy myself, but I'm a bit confused. Not sure what to call what I was drinking.

Whisky?

Whiskey?

Bourbon?

Bourbon Whisky?

Bourbon Whiskey??

Merry Christmas!

Well, if you were drinking bourbon, all three of the above in bold are correct. :pfft:

Best gift for me was the reaction from the kids seeing what they got. Especially those gifts that are relevant to their new life as independent adults.

There was a family gift giving moratorium issued this Christmas (except for my nieces and nephew), but I didn't really care...and following rules ain't my forte. :) Anyway, I wanted to give my family members stuff I knew they would like but never get themselves. So I got my brother and father RGIII jerseys (so they could wear them with me on Sunday as I'm sporting mine) and my mom a nice purse she desperately needed (in my fashionable opinion). The nieces and nephew got pretty much everything thing they asked for, just ilke the spoiled little beavises they are. :ols: I do regret the fortune cookie making kit I got my littlest niece, however, as I had to down all the disgusting tasting fortune cookies she made for me today...

Amazingly, my family received an incredible Christmas miracle late this year. :) Earlier this year, my sister's 28 y/o fiance was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Unfortunately, when they learned he had been diagnosed with cancer, his family disowned him due to religious reasons not necessary for me to get into here. Point is, due to this disownment, my family had to kind of step in and do our best to provide the family support he was lacking. Ultimately, this thrust us much closer to him and his battle against cancer than most in-laws typically would be...and obviously this was a huge, emotionally draining struggle we dealt with for a large part of this year.

ANYWAY, at the time he was diagnosed, the cancer had metastisized to his stomach, lungs and brain. Neurologists were able to successfully perform a craniotomy and remove the metastisis in his brain. However, by Sept., when the cancer had further metastisized to his liver, he was diagnosed as terminal and encouraged by his physicians to undergo an anointment ceremony. So, he was anointed by their med school chaplain and began finalizing his will. As one last ditch effort to save his life, he was entered into a human clinical trial for a new chemotherapy agent. He underwent an intensive chemotherapy and radiation protocol for a few weeks on, few weeks off, on, off, etc. During the second month of this process (early November), he was retested and all lesions in addition to the primary tumor site had completely disappeared. None of us could believe it. Even his doctors were astounded and said his status was medically unexplainable. Two of his oncologists who are seasoned, well renowned vets said they had only ever witnessed 1 other case even remotely similar to this in their entire careers. He will undergo continued maintenance chemo for several more months, but all scans and bloodwork since the beginning of November have been clear. This has been such a heavy burden on all of us and has nearly defeated my sister who is trying to finish her 4th year of med school, interview all over for residency, and be the sole caregiver for her fiance (who is also trying to do the same thing as her; he refused to drop out of med school his last year as he fought the cancer...which is an incredible testament to his strength and determination as far as I'm concerned).

Therefore, to celebrate this miracle, my family went in together and purchased a tropical vacation for the two of them to take before they graduate in May and have to start the insanity that will be the next several years of their lives. Watching as they opened the reservations and stared in disbelief, then my sister start crying, was seriously one of the happiest moments I can recall. This situation has so deeply affected all of us, it's just amazing to have hope now that he's going to make it and that my sister and him are going to have a meaningful future together instead of her having to go through unimaginable devastation. Of course anything can happen and there are no guarantees in life, but prospects are extremely good and I can only thank God for that because all of us in the family truly think it was a miracle. So, besides being one of the coolest moments I can remember, that was most definitely, by far, the coolest gift I've ever participated in giving someone. I hope they enjoy every second of their vacay...they deserve it! :)

It is still to come this coming Sunday night.

Hail.

Here, here!!! :D

Archived