Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: NRA is largely a

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

what compels people to create binary polls like this? it can only de-illuminate. i am not a fan of the NRA at all, but there is obviously more than one motive fueling it. certainly the interests of gun manufacturers are served. but it's absurd to think a huge contingent are not also people who simply like guns and don't want them taken away. many have even convinced themselves that guns sit right alongside food water and shelter as essential fundamental human necessities.

I get the impression the second option is more of a sardonic jab than anything else so I'd have to say neither option is suitable. The NRA's membership seems to be mostly pleased by the actions of the association and, depending on who you believe, number in the millions. It's hard to see membership like that and still see the organization as little more than a puppet for gun manufacturers. A satisfied membership however does not indicate that the group advances patriotism and freedom.

I used to live in the country and go to a gun club for the skeet and trap shooting. I went there on Sundays because that was the only day the club was open to non-members. Like many shooting clubs, this one would only grant membership if I also joined the National Rifle Association. That wasn’t going to happen. While I like some of the NRA’s youth gun-safety programs, I cannot support its policy aims.

According to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 13.7 million people went hunting in the U.S. last year, a nearly 5% increase from 2001. By contrast, the NRA has 4 million members. There are likely plenty of reasons why two-thirds of hunters (as well as millions of gun owners) don’t belong to the group, apathy and financial hardship among them, but politics undoubtedly play a role. And reaching out to pro-hunting moderates is perhaps our best hope for ending the national stalemate over gun control.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/12/19/viewpointwe-need-a-moderate-pro-gun-alternative-to-the-nra/#ixzz2FWEh5fr6

I get the impression the second option is more of a sardonic jab than anything else so I'd have to say neither option is suitable. The NRA's membership seems to be mostly pleased by the actions of the association and, depending on who you believe, number in the millions. It's hard to see membership like that and still see the organization as little more than a puppet for gun manufacturers. A satisfied membership however does not indicate that the group advances patriotism and freedom.

That is sort of a chicken and egg argument. The NRA has done an excellent job stoking their membership into being uncompromising on the issues that gives the NRA a purpose.

I believe I became a memeber of the NRA back in boy scouts when i got my marksman and skeet shooting meritbadges (i am not SURE if i did or not, i didn't pay any dues, or anything like that, but my certification of achievement was from the NRA, not from the BSA), There are many reasons to belong to the NRA.. not all of which amount to agreeing with their advocacy efforts.

on a similar note, I am a subscriber to the Wall Street Journal (through work), but THEIR advacacy efforts (the content of the WSJ editorial page) are, in my opinion, a complete affront to my basic views. Yet the newspaper portion of the Journal still holds value to me...

a final example, I am a Catholic, and i am CONSIDERING joining the Knights of Colombus because they are the ones in our parish that do S.O.M.E. (so others may eat) and SHARE (another outreach to the poor group). If i join them, I will in no be affirming the apparent conservative bent of the US leadership of the Knights... nor will I be affirming their butt-ridiculous costumes. :)

That is sort of a chicken and egg argument. The NRA has done an excellent job stoking their membership into being uncompromising on the issues that gives the NRA a purpose.

Members are more likely to be offended and leave or lose interest than be to be molded in my experience. Even average retention rates make keeping a membership in the millions a monumental effort. The fact that they've sustained a paid membership in the millions (if tht is accurate) is a significant statement towards the agreement of their members with the associations. Many might join for benefits but considering how extreme and public the NRA is they'd have left in a hurry had they felt the need to do so.

Members are more likely to be offended and leave or lose interest than be to be molded in my experience. Even average retention rates make keeping a membership in the millions a monumental effort. The fact that they've sustained a paid membership in the millions (if tht is accurate) is a significant statement towards the agreement of their members with the associations. Many might join for benefits but considering how extreme and public the NRA is they'd have left in a hurry had they felt the need to do so.

Yea, not really buying that. Im sure some people get offended and leave, but most people end up seeing the views expressed by the NRA over and over and over again. Most people can't really resist that kind of persistent messaging. Its why companies pay so much for TV advertisements, its effective and it sells product. Eventually, if you hear something enough, unless you started of as a skeptic, which is not the case with membership in a trade group, then eventually whatever you hear over and over again is going to ring true (or at least MORE true).

I used to live in the country and go to a gun club for the skeet and trap shooting. I went there on Sundays because that was the only day the club was open to non-members. Like many shooting clubs, this one would only grant membership if I also joined the National Rifle Association. That wasn’t going to happen. While I like some of the NRA’s youth gun-safety programs, I cannot support its policy aims.

According to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 13.7 million people went hunting in the U.S. last year, a nearly 5% increase from 2001. By contrast, the NRA has 4 million members. There are likely plenty of reasons why two-thirds of hunters (as well as millions of gun owners) don’t belong to the group, apathy and financial hardship among them, but politics undoubtedly play a role. And reaching out to pro-hunting moderates is perhaps our best hope for ending the national stalemate over gun control.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/12/19/viewpointwe-need-a-moderate-pro-gun-alternative-to-the-nra/#ixzz2FWEh5fr6

You know when my step son turned 16 he was given a handgun by a relative. I had some hard choices to make. Do I allow it in my house, If not I effectively loose any say in where it's stored or maintained or used? Anyway I ended up getting him a locker at the local gun range where he could shoot the gun when he wanted.... But what was key to this arrangement was the NRA gun safety classes which I had him take. They were first rate. I don't think the NRA gets nearly enough credit for the excellent classes they put on, nor all the work they do to ensure folks are sensible with their weapons.

Archived