Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: NRA is largely a

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The poll is aimed at discovering people's views on whether NRA's stated purpose matches its primary interests.

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 01:20 PM ----------

Terrible poll reflecting the views of the OP more than reality.

The NRA is both. And like any single minded organization they are prone to over stepping rational bounds in the promotion of their beliefs. (see PETA and Greenpeace)

/thread

Maybe so, but there is a difference between promoting economic interests vs promoting beliefs. I'd say that PETA and Greanpeace promote beliefs. With NRA things may not be as clear. I started the poll to see where people stand and to learn more about it. Why not.

Yea, not really buying that. Im sure some people get offended and leave, but most people end up seeing the views expressed by the NRA over and over and over again. Most people can't really resist that kind of persistent messaging. Its why companies pay so much for TV advertisements, its effective and it sells product. Eventually, if you hear something enough, unless you started of as a skeptic, which is not the case with membership in a trade group, then eventually whatever you hear over and over again is going to ring true (or at least MORE true).

You know in the interim elections in 1994 the democrats lost control of the senate and the house of representatives; along with 9 senatorial seats and 54 house seats.

The two primary reasons for the Democrats shellacking were (1) The failed healthcare reform Clinton tried to pass; (2) Gun Control which he did pass..

No Democratic leader has proposed or supported gun control since that time, especially not pragmatic Obama who has bent over backwards to avoid the issue...

Until now it seems. Obama had a major "policy speech" on the Connecticut incident, in which he failed to mention either gun or gun control specifically. I kind of feel Obama is

being pulled to this issue against his better political judgment.

the NRA is a lobbiest organiztion for gun manufactures. Anyone who thinks different has drank their kool aid and kinda scares me, because if they belief that crap, they probably also belief that a libreal thinker such as myself deserves to be shot to "protect 'Mericas' freedom."

That explains this... :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/19/seven-facts-about-the-u-s-gun-industry/

When Smith & Wesson struck a deal with the Clinton administration in 2000, agreeing to a long list of changes to its products and business practices—including limiting the size of magazines for its semi-automatic weapons and avoiding dealers who sold a disproportionate number of guns later used in crimes—the gun lobby howled. It led a boycott of Smith & Wesson that nearly killed the company; in a span of just two years, the number of guns manufactured by Smith & Wesson fell by 44 percent. “They just beat the crap out of Smith & Wesson for a while, then let them back in,” says Diaz. Colt Firearms and Sturm, Ruger have been similarly punished for crimes against the Second Amendment.

That's an interesting point. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that NRA is a key player in the gun industry and reaps direct economic benefits from it, rather than merely being a front for gun manufacturers.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/whom-does-the-nra-really-speak-for/266373/

I don't know if you are trying to argue my point, and actaully doing a horrible job of it, or are agreeing with me, because that's what it actaully seems like you are doing. That eye rolling emoticon is really confusing.

If you are arguing the point, that the NRA is NOT a lobbiest organization for gun manufacturers by pointing out how Smith & Wesson was blackballed by the NRA for cutting a deal with Clinton, then you are actaully arguing against your point. Since the actions of Smith & Wesson could of had a negative impact on other NRA manufacturing members, that is why the NRA blackballed them, not because they "commited crimes against the Second Amendment", although I am sure that is how the NRA portrayed Smith & Wesson when they "wussed out" and agreed to the deal.

If you meant to agree with me, thanks for proving my point!

I don't know if you are trying to argue my point, and actaully doing a horrible job of it, or are agreeing with me, because that's what it actaully seems like you are doing. That eye rolling emoticon is really confusing.

If you are arguing the point, that the NRA is NOT a lobbiest organization for gun manufacturers by pointing out how Smith & Wesson was blackballed by the NRA for cutting a deal with Clinton, then you are actaully arguing against your point. Since the actions of Smith & Wesson could of had a negative impact on other NRA manufacturing members, that is why the NRA blackballed them, not because they "commited crimes against the Second Amendment", although I am sure that is how the NRA portrayed Smith & Wesson when they "wussed out" and agreed to the deal.

If you meant to agree with me, thanks for proving my point!

Really? Because people kept buying guns. Only Smith & Wesson was hurt. And other manufacturers sold more guns so I'm not sure how blackballing S&W hurt them.

As I said before.... (god, I get tired of repeating myself) The NRA is both a lobbyist for the gun industry *and* second amendment rights.

are no different than

SEIU, AMA, Oil, Pharmacy, Medical Devices.

AARP wanting billions for gap insurance in Obamacare

But you can't listen to them when it comes to gun control or any law that in any way restricts the free access of 50 cals.

No different than listening to Oil companies about Solar power, or AARP about Old people medicine insurance.

are no different than

SEIU, AMA, Oil, Pharmacy, Medical Devices.

AARP wanting billions for gap insurance in Obamacare

But you can't listen to them when it comes to gun control or any law that in any way restricts the free access of 50 cals.

No different than listening to Oil companies about Solar power, or AARP about Old people medicine insurance.

Why do we always have a post like this?

Very generous and uniquely qualified organization? This is from the press conference today:

And the National Rifle Association, as America’s preeminent trainer of law enforcement and security personnel for the past 50 years -- we have 11,000 police training instructors in the NRA -- is ready, willing and uniquely qualified to help.

Our training programs are the most advanced in the world. That expertise must be brought to bear to protect our schools and our children now.

We did it through (ph) our nation’s defense industries and military installations during World War II. We did it for very young kids with our Eddie Eagle child safety program that is throughout the country in schools right now, and we’ll do it again today.

LAPIERRE: The NRA is gonna bring all its knowledge, all its dedication and all its resources to develop a model national schools shield emergency response program for every single school in America that wants it. From armed security to building design and access control, to information technology, to student and teacher training, this multifaceted program will be developed by the very best experts in the field. Former Congressman Asa Hutchinson will lead the effort as national director of the National Model School Shield Program, with a budget provided by the NRA of whatever scope the task requires. His experience as United States attorney, director of the Drug Enforcement Agency, and undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security will give him the knowledge and expertise to hire the most knowledgeable and credentialed experts that are available in the United States of America to get this program up and running from the first day forward.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/remarks-from-the-nra-press-conference-on-sandy-hook-school-shooting-delivered-on-dec-21-2012-transcript/2012/12/21/bd1841fe-4b88-11e2-a6a6-aabac85e8036_story_4.html

Archived