Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: NY Giants should realize Robert Griffin III and Washington now their top rival in NFC East, not Philadelphia Eagles or Dallas Cowboys

SkinsHokieFan

NY Giants should realize Robert Griffin III and Washington now their top rival in NFC East, not Philadelphia Eagles or Dallas Cowboys

Old habits and hatreds die hard. It’s difficult for any blue-blooded Giant fan to admit out loud that the unraveling Eagles no longer pose a threat in the NFC East or that the Cowboys, too, are as harmless, soft and fluffy as a goose down pillow whenever the fourth quarter arrives.

The real divisional threat now, and for the foreseeable future, resides instead near the Capital Beltway and bears a racist nickname that no respectful columnist should ever type. That would be Washington, the precocious, upstart football team waiting in ambush at FedEx Field on Monday night for the Super Bowl champs.

Fortunately for Giants, they are taking notice — sort of.

“They have a really good team, and it all starts with RG3,” Victor Cruz said on Wednesday, during a conference call. “They’re a team on the rise. I think they’re still a couple of pieces away from being contenders... whether it is defensively or wherever, but they’ve got to be in the conversation. They really do some good things. I put them in that conversation for sure.”

That conversation is growing dense and complicated, like a Faulkner novel. The sound and the fury began in earnest after Cruz caught a 77-yard, game-winning touchdown with 1:13 left in the fourth quarter to beat Washington at MetLife Stadium in October. DeAngelo Hall then belittled the play, saying Eli Manning had very little to do with the score.

“We gave him that play,” Hall said. “It wasn’t something where he was a rocket scientist and he figured something out. We just played that as bad as possible.”

On Wednesday, Cruz insisted he and Manning actually had something to do with that pass. He also expressed his respect for rocket scientists, because Cruz has a sense of humor about these things.

“It’s definitely high up there,” Cruz said, about the play. “To have a game-winning touchdown of 70-plus yards, a long bomb through the double team, sprinting through the end zone.”

Plus a salsa. Never forget the salsa.

The point is, however, that this rivalry could become something both fun and mean at the same time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bondy-rg3-vote-worthy-giants-foe-article-1.1209949#ixzz2DfNja12r

The only way to heat this rivalry up is to beat their ass in front of America Monday Night. They are the world champions and they are leading this division. This is the game that not only shows us how far we have come and where we stand in this division, but this game will show us if we have turned that corner and have become a competitor through the injuries and hard times this team has faced the last few years. This game is huge and I think the Redskins will rise to this occasion! This game could very well decide who's going to be the 2012 NFC East Champions. Go Redskins!!!

This is the big game to top all big games for us (this season). From here on out, if we win, every game will get bigger. We rose to the occasion last week, against a good defense. If we can create a little magic, and get a W on Monday, we will go from having a pulse to being a serious contender for a Wild Card spot, and depending on what happens on Sunday and tonight, we could be in the drivers seat for the 6 seed, and still have a legit shot at the division. Every team will be put on notice. Because of who we have behind center, I am as confident as I've ever been during my time as a Skins fan. Even more confident than our playoff runs in '05 and '07, and even with our subpar defense.

This is the epitome of a statement game. We win, and the rest of the teams in this league are officially going to be circling the Redskins on their calendars.

I just hope we bring our A-game.

I would think it would be the other way around, teams would be dreading the day to play the Redskins

"resides instead near the Capital Beltway and bears a racist nickname that no respectful columnist should ever type"

Is this the type of crap we're going to have to put with up once this team becomes a force? I hate political correctness. Go REDSKINS!!!!

Filip Bondy:

The real divisional threat now, and for the foreseeable future, resides instead near the Capital Beltway and bears a racist nickname that no respectful columnist should ever type.

http://doingadvancework.blogspot.com/2010/01/media-still-eager-to-invent-racism.html

and why let the OBVIOUS (and still clueless about why we hate his teams owner) muss up a good cheap shot?

I find it fascinating that in all articles like this from the NY media, there is no mention of Mara screwing us over with the cap. Many Giants fans are barely aware of what actually happened. Although we always despised the Giants, capgate is what really turned the rivalry into a hatred of everything about that team. I don't want just a win. I want the Skins to humiliate them and ensure they don't make the playoffs at all.

I find it fascinating that in all articles like this from the NY media, there is no mention of Mara screwing us over with the cap. Many Giants fans are barely aware of what actually happened. Although we always despised the Giants, capgate is what really turned the rivalry into a hatred of everything about that team. I don't want just a win. I want the Skins to humiliate them and ensure they don't make the playoffs at all.

You guys are the only ones that care about the cap thing... for right or wrong. Most don't see your owner as innocent either. As I said before penalty too excessive.

"resides instead near the Capital Beltway and bears a racist nickname that no respectful columnist should ever type"

Is this the type of crap we're going to have to put with up once this team becomes a force? I hate political correctness. Go REDSKINS!!!!

I agree, the thought police want to control everything.

You guys are the only ones that care about the cap thing... for right or wrong. Most don't see your owner as innocent either. As I said before penalty too excessive.

This was no penalty. To this day, the NFL still can't, in a satisfactory way, explain what rule the Redskins violated, especially since they approved the contracts.

This was nothing more that a deliberate attempt by Mara to keep the Redskins (and Cowboys) down in the division through artifical means.

Keep in mind, Mara's original desire was to take draft picks from the Redskins. Most likely their first round pick. You know, the one that got us RG3? Nothing would've kept the Redskins down more than taking their ability to get their franchise QB.

He couldn't swing that, so he did the next best thing. Have the NFL cripple Washington by taking a lot of cap space from them so they couldn't build a team around him. At least, not quickly.

Mara is a two faced, cowardly snake. Putting a nice face out in public, but behaving like an ass out of it.

Not willing to let the fortunes of the division be settled honorably on the field as they should..... team over team, one coach out coaching the other, one player out playing the other. Instead he is trying to keep his Giants on top through devious, manipulative means behind the scenes.

Snyder may have been a jerk in the past, but he never pulled anything like this. Mara ia a despicable ****roach that needs to be stepped on.

Better yet, I hope he and his BIG mouth are the star witness for the NFLPA's collusion case against the NFL. :)

The only way to justify the penalty is to say that the team broke a rule by not conspiring to commit collusion.

In other words, if the Giants are right they only way they can be is that they are actual criminals and lawbreakers. There's no two ways about it.

You're probably right that most have chosen to forget about it. Heck, outside of New Jersey and New York almost no one talks about Sandy anymore. That's human nature. When's the last time you heard someone talk about Armstrong?

The Redskins did nothing wrong. Mara and the NFL screwed us over illegally and if you look at all the commentary, local, national, etc. you will see that nearly every writer legal, sports or otherwise universally decried what Mara did.

I understand as a fan of cheaters you need to justify it. Hell, they weren't even men enough to cheat on the field, but they were the lowest type of sports' scum. Those who need to rig games before they're ever played. Sadly, you root for a team and an owner with no honor and no class.

I used to respect the Giants as a hard nosed, blue colar team. They have sunk to the bottom of the sports world in my eyes. They are amongst the worst actors in sports.

The only way to justify the penalty is to say that the team broke a rule by not conspiring to commit collusion.

In other words, if the Giants are right they only way they can be is that they are actual criminals and lawbreakers. There's no two ways about it.

You're probably right that most have chosen to forget about it. Heck, outside of New Jersey and New York almost no one talks about Sandy anymore. That's human nature. When's the last time you heard someone talk about Armstrong?

The Redskins did nothing wrong. Mara and the NFL screwed us over illegally and if you look at all the commentary, local, national, etc. you will see that nearly every writer legal, sports or otherwise universally decried what Mara did.

I understand as a fan of cheaters you need to justify it. Hell, they weren't even men enough to cheat on the field, but they were the lowest type of sports' scum. Those who need to rig games before they're ever played. Sadly, you root for a team and an owner with no honor and no class.

I used to respect the Giants as a hard nosed, blue colar team. They have sunk to the bottom of the sports world in my eyes. They are amongst the worst actors in sports.

Whatever you say...let me know if you want to talk about the game.

Archived