Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

will the federal government step in? or will they just roll with it and see how things work themselves out? will it be taxed?

Will this lead to a domino effect of other states to adopt such legalization? If so, which states and how much longer will that take?

Mods, if this doesn't deserve its own thread please feel free to merge :)

Everybody is going to move to Colorado, that's what is going to happen.

a huge pothead friend of mine moved out there 2 years ago. said he went to the doctor and complained that he had some kind of pain from standing on his feet all day (as a bartender). doc gave him a medical marajuana card and he's been a happy guy ever since.

Earlier this year the Obama administration indicated they would be taking far less time trying to persecute minor marijuana related offenses. Think they're just going to ride this one out unless it because a big time problem.

i hope so. if they let it ride I think they will see that things will continue to function fine. hopefully one day soon it will be legal everywhere and then 10 years later we'll all be wondering why it took so damn long

Earlier this year the Obama administration indicated they would be taking far less time trying to persecute minor marijuana related offenses. Think they're just going to ride this one out unless it because a big time problem.

I honestly think it's a big waste of time and energy worrying about weed. I could see if it was cocaine or heroin, but weed? Maybe if more people smoked it, the world would be a happier place :D

Will be inetresting to see how major corporations handle this. In terms of drug testing, that is. Because we ALL know that the only drug tested for is marijuana b/c damn near every other hard drug doesn't stay in your ststem for more than 24 hours. So what do you follow? The federal law? That wouldn't be fair to those applying for work either.

Damn, I remember senior year of high school saying it would take a decade but that some states would legalize it by then. I was off by two years. Good for those states, it's a substance less harmful than alcohol.

It will indeed be interesting to see what they do with employment drug tests now. Maybe just drop MJ from the screening? They'll have to up the requirement of the test to be that same day, otherwise most substances won't be caught.

Also, the fed. can only do so much to counter this. They can't stop an entire state IMO, nor should they.

Yeah, he said the same thing just before sending in his DEA thugs to shut down many CA dispensaries too. I'll believe it when he actual does it.

You cant trust this guy

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-war-on-pot-20120216

Now that Obama doesn't have to run for re-election, he has little incentive to pay much attention to the issues out there. Plus, from the perspective of Democrat strategies, why go against the will of the people on such a minor issue when those states back you nationally.

Although Obama isn't pro-pot, I don't think he will put an excessive amount of effort in combating this amendment which is a slam dunk for the economy in regards to revenue, manufacturing, and jobs. It's a slam dunk.

A few things to rattle from the top of my head...

1. The Fed level presence in these states "could" go down which would save money. (Republicans want smaller fed gov't.)

2. The state Dept of Agriculture may need to go up to regulate and monitor safe production. (creates jobs, but increases size of state gov't.)

3. Small business ownership goes up!! (private sector improves.)

4. New revenue streams, taxes, employment.

5. New business tends to spawn other businesses. For instance, with pot being legalized, head-shops increase, as well as other accessory shops.

6. Crime goes down! (b/c now it's not a crime.)

7. Prisons can eliminate the need to house non-violent criminals.

8. Court rooms are less clogged with non-violent issues.

I could go on and on... but these are my gut reactions to the issue. There are plenty of negatives, I'm sure. And maybe a few of my points are not quite as positive as they seem.

Archived