Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News (AP): Redskins players come to coach Shanahan's defense

Jumbo

Redskins players come to coach Shanahan's defense

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-players-come-coach-shanahans-201232577--nfl.html

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Mike Shanahan's players are supporting their coach after he seemingly wrote off the Washington Redskins' season and then said his comments had been misinterpreted.

''I thought he clarified exactly what he meant, how it wasn't portrayed the way it needed to be,'' said co-captain London Fletcher, a 15-year veteran. ''He let us know exactly how he feels about this season, how he feels about the guys in this locker room. Coach Shanahan's a proven winner, a two-time Super Bowl-winning head coach. He's not a person who gives up on a season.''

Fletcher doesn't agree with criticism of Shanahan for his comments.

''To portray him in that light is not fair to him, not fair to this football team. You get a couple of games to go your way, especially in November, you're right in the thick of things.''

Defensive end Chris Baker, who rose from the practice squad in 2011 to being in the rotation this year, said Shanahan's comments about evaluating personnel rang true.

''It's an evaluation period all year,'' Baker said. ''That's exactly how it is week to week. If you're not good enough, they're going to find someone to replace you.''

''The coaches put us in the right plays and put us in the right places,'' said left tackle Trent Williams, another co-captain. ''We're just not taking advantage of them.''

more at link

Relatedly:

Redskins' Shanahan puts new spin on comments

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/shanahan-rg3-redskins-playing-string-211450258--nfl.html

Shanahan admitted that he perhaps didn't give the ''perfect quote'' and that his words might not have been ''crystal clear'' when he spoke in the aftermath of Sunday's 21-13 loss to the Carolina Panthers, who entered the game with just one win on the season.

''The remaining seven games that we have, each game, is kind of like a playoff game,'' Shanahan said. ''And what you want to do is see how your players respond. ... We will see how they play from now on for the rest of the season, and we'd better get their best shot because they'll be evaluated every game.''

''What you need to do is stop it right away and tell the team what you meant, or what you intended to say, even though it might not have crystal clear,'' Shanahan said. ''I think everybody that knows me since I've been here, it doesn't matter what your record is, we're going to play to win every game.''

I'm sure this thread will get to as many pages as fast as some, uhm, other ones have. :ha:

lol, thanks for posting this though Jumbo. Just might have a calming affect, who knows.

And that second link to an article you provided was written by Joseph White who clearly has an agenda. He was the one who tried to back Mike in a corner at the end of the press conference yesterday and he's the one who seemed most offended by Mike's insistence that his quote was taken out of context. Whatever, Joseph. I'm sure you're just being an honest journalist.

Finally some reasoning.

I don't know what's going on around here lately, but I've just been reading post after post of just overreaction.

The loss sucked yes, but toss Shanahan after 3 years and do the Redskins way of things like always?

I didn't see the big deal about his comments. Throwing in the towel? I read it as "I'm gonna start finding out who is good enough to be on this team"

And even still -- yeah, it's ok to start looking forward to 2013. Without being a complete kool-aid homer, does anyone honestly think we have a chance of competing? Like we're gonna get to the playoffs and just blow through anyone? Atlanta, Chicago, Green Bay, New York??

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Lets be realistic. We are rebuilding.

I had been following certain players twitters, facebook accounts, etc and reading/watching a lot of the interviews since Sunday. If anything, it seems that these tough losses are bringing the team closer together. I haven't seen anything at all that shows these guys are quitters.

Hopefully this article will cool down the flames some.

Nice to hear. I think Shanny realizes that he made a bit of a mistake, but I think he still has the respect of the guys in the locker room.

My biggest praise of Shanny, is the fact that he handles his business behind closed doors. He doesn't throw his players under the bus (depsite repeatedly being baited by the media), and he will support them publically no matter what. See Rex Grossman and John Beck. This single trait, in my opinion, is the biggest similarity that he has with Joe Gibbs.

A little too tired to read too in depth, but it sounds like Shanahan still has the locker room more or less, which is good news.

Him losing the locker room was my biggest concern, and that fear has been somewhat laid to rest. Now hopefully they work hard the next two weeks and come out and put the Eagles right back on the endangered species list.

it's becoming apparent to me, that people heard what they wanted to hear out of Shanahan's initial presser after the game. He talked about evaluating and seeing who wants to be on this team long-term, which is not the same thing as conceding 2012. Shanahan could have done a better job of phrasing, but he did not ever say he was giving up. I wasn't sure what to think after his initial comments, but I think he clarified them well on Monday and it's time for everyone to move on.

I don't know why I'm admitting this, but the first time I read the title I read it as though the players would actually be coaching the defense. I thought to myself, "I know Haslett is bad but you cannot let the players coach themselves."

In seriousness, its encouraging that the team is sticking up for Shanny, as it shows that he has not lost the locker room after all.

I don't know why I'm admitting this, but the first time I read the title I read it as though the players would actually be coaching the defense. I thought to myself, "I know Haslett is bad but you cannot let the players coach themselves."

I did it too. The really sad thing is, maybe it's early, but my mind didn't immediately reject the idea. :ols:

I thought, well, maybe they're doing so badly that London Fletcher's starting to take over in the meetings...

Frankly, I think some of this resulted from the reporter, Joseph White Jr. He probably wanted a nice negative story about Redskin failure, and ran with the negative interpretation of how Shanahan's words could be construed. He didn't do any follow-up before running the piece.

He writes well, but his slant about Shanahan comes out in his articles..I note the the following bit: "Stung by the reaction to his words, Shanahan took to the podium Monday and his postgame transcript out loud - then made a rambling attempt to explain it."

This guy may cover Washington sports -- but if you check his twitter page, it reveals a lot about his mindset regarding the Redskins. He's always finding that 'negative nugget.' Frankly, I think he over-reached on this one.

I listened to post-casts of the Shanahan press-conferences after the game, and the next day -- carefully. I think Shanahan's mis-construed statement was prompted by some reporter's (probably White) question of what did it mean after his team just lost a 'must-win' game. There was a quasi follow-up question by that reporter (no doubt fishing for a juicy negative thing to hang on Shanahan and also trying to characterize this as the Redksins going into a 'mode') where Shanhan noted they were still in it statistically, but my sense is he was emphasizing how this would be a period revealing those who were willing to give 110% the rest of the way. He never said he was going to play the backups, the younger players, etc. Apparently no one else saw much of a story in this. Because the rest of the presser was a business as usual -- discussing what happened during the game, decisions made during the game, player status etc.

I thought Shanahan's presser of Nov. 5, reinforced my impression of his original remarks. For coach-speak, Mike gave an adequate explanation. Frankly, I think Mike was being more guarded than rambling -- he was obviously miffed that some reporter(s) decided to blow up that sentence into a pronouncement of his abandoning his season, giving up on his players, etc -- without calling him to see if they had correctly captured what he meant.

In my opinion, while well-written, this work was not very professional by Mr. White, especially his follow-up piece. Apparently, he doesn't worry about the discord he might have created in his rush to slap out some story that can sell. He should have called Mike to confirm, or perhaps asked the question more directly during the Nov 4 presser.

While this is all Kumbayaish, it still doesn't take away the fact that Shanny hasn't even come close to delivering, considering his resume. I fully supported him until I saw how flat the team was on Sunday. I say that because the team didn't respond to his "must win game" urgency. That's more telling than any words.

While this is all Kumbayaish, it still doesn't take away the fact that Shanny hasn't even come close to delivering considering his resume. I fully supported him until I saw how flat the team was on Sunday. I say that because the team didn't respond to his "must win game" urgency. That's more telling than any word could offer.

We knew going into this year it would be an up and down kind of year. It's a young team that has taken some very tough breaks the last few weeks without much reprieve. I think what will be much more telling is how they come back from the break. If they continue to come out flat after a bye week, and the added preparation? Then I might be inclined to agree with you. But IMO it's far too early to start throwing daggers just yet...

We knew going into this year it would be an up and down kind of year. It's a young team that has taken some very tough breaks the last few weeks without much reprieve. I think what will be much more telling is how they come back from the break. If they continue to come out flat after a bye week, and the added preparation? Then I might be inclined to agree with you. But IMO it's far too early to start throwing daggers just yet...

I'd agree, but Shanny eventually has to start delivering in the win column. The never-ending excuses for this guy has to end.

I'd agree, but Shanny eventually has to start delivering in the win column. The never-ending excuses for this guy has to end.

Certainly after how painful Sunday was, I can see your point and why a lot of people are getting there. I'm just not there yet. I still think patience is what this team needs...for the remainder of this season, and into the next. That being said, I'd fully advocate a change to get rid of Haslett at the end of this season, I've lost patience with his schemes.

Certainly after how painful Sunday was, I can see your point and why a lot of people are getting there. I'm just not there yet. I still think patience is what this team needs...for the remainder of this season, and into the next. That being said, I'd fully advocate a change to get rid of Haslett at the end of this season, I've lost patience with his schemes.

The onus is on Shanny for that one to. His boy and what a colossal failure it has been. Year three in the system and it has gotten progressively worse. He can't continue to live off the laurels of his Lomardi's so many years ago. If it was any other coach? I'm not sure we would see the amount of patience we are seeing from some fans.

The onus is on Shanny for that one to. His boy and what a colossal failure it has been. Year three in the system and it has gotten progressively worse.

Agreed. But I think Has deserved this year, and it makes no sense to make a change mid season. If there isn't a MASSIVE improvement in the second half of the year, and he still doesn't make a move before '13? I'm right with you.

He can't continue to live off the laurels of his Lomardi's so many years ago. If it was any other coach? I'm not sure we would see the amount of patience we are seeing from some fans.

I think you answered your own statement, and I agree. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, plus not to mention all the unique challenges that have been thrown our way, handed a pile of **** from Cerrato in cap hell, capgate, every star player outside of RG3 go down in injury and/or suspension this season, etc.

Personally, I think there is fight left in this team, and the homer in me wants to believe we won't go quietly this season, and carry some momentum into next year where we are a playoff team in 2013. If that doesn't happen? Then I'm going to have a hard time continuing to stand up for a coach that hasn't produced results in four years of his tenure.

Finally some reasoning.

I don't know what's going on around here lately, but I've just been reading post after post of just overreaction.

Welcome to EXTREMEskins. :)
The loss sucked yes, but toss Shanahan after 3 years and do the Redskins way of things like always?

I didn't see the big deal about his comments. Throwing in the towel? I read it as "I'm gonna start finding out who is good enough to be on this team"

I agree 100%. Plus, it doesn't matter what a team's record is. After losing the last two games the way we did, and especially after the "must win" comment, I would be seriously pissed if the HC wasn't evaluating how players responded and evaluated them on their drive, motivation, leadership, etc. This is probably the last rebuild audition for Shanny's team. After this offseason, most of the key pieces need to be put in place.

That's some funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning.

Haha I thought the same thing - I was like, "did they hire Lavar?" haha

You're right that people thought this would be an up and down year. But quite frankly, it's been like years past; more of a down year again. Even in our 3 wins, they were heart and gut wrenching, eeked out wins. Out of the 3 wins, the Saints game was the only one I enjoyed because it was a big play game. I did not enjoy the Minnesota or Tampa wins.

Problem is, they're not never ending. :)

They're simple, true, few, and can not be disputed:

1- He came on to a team that wasn't talented to begin with AND old. An absolute lethal combination. He cut more players in his first year than ANY other newly hired coach that we like to point to and say "see, they turned it around quicker, wah wah"! You could get mad maybe had said players went on to other teams and excelled or even produced in any way, but what did those players do? Absolutely nothing. The vast majority of them didn't even make another NFL roster. This trend continued as he cut the likes of Portis who had been our best talent on the team and one of our highest paid previously and he couldn't even pass a physical. The only cut/trade he made that went on to produce elsewhere in any decent capacity was Jason Campbell who started for the Raiders at QB. However, Jason was the one who demanded the trade and, furthermore, he was actually battling Bruce Gradkowski for the position. Bruce Gradkowski.

2- In 2010, after cutting all of these old and untalented players, he had to deal with the worst FA class in the history of the NFL due to the uncapped season's restrictions. Why doesn't anyone ever mention just how further along we'd be along in this process of a rebuild had the players who became unrestricted free agents in 2011 became such in 2010 instead? They would have been one year younger when we acquired them and been more developed in our schemes at this point. A team that has had continuity in place for a long time previously wouldn't nearly be affected because they'd already have players developed within it, but one that is rebuilding on the level of ours is severely hampered by such a thing. Nope, just excuses, right?

3- In 2011, he had to deal with a lockout and subsequent lack of players developing in our program during the offseason. This led to players like Hankerson, Robinson, Riley, Helu, Royster, as well our entire Free Agent class to lose key time in developing as players within our newly implemented schemes. Again, a team that has had continuity in place for a long time previously wouldn't nearly be affected because they'd already have players developed within it, but one that is rebuilding on the level of ours is severely hampered by such a thing.

4- The biggest one yet; the 2012 surprise cap penalty on the eve of Free Agency. How many teams survive 36 million in total cap space being taken away from you unjustly even if they're not rebuilding? To make it worse, how many teams survive such a thing without even preparing for such a severe penalty (they knew they'd probably have something happen, but not the amount nor the way it was done)? We point to teams like the Bucs who are improving right now, but forget that they went against this bs "spirit of the cap" themselves by going waaaay under the cap in 2010 since they could and were basically able to sign anyone they wanted in Free Agency. Every player the Bucs signed this year could've been on our team as well as the ones we did sign. Could you imagine that for a second? Could you imagine where we'd be and where the Bucs would be had what was just taken place?

So, in summary, to me it's simple and they aren't "never ending excuses". They're just few and they're all true. Period.

Archived