Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Let me preface this by saying I love this long lost feeling of excitement come Sunday that my team is giving me once again. In the main, all down to a dude who far from looking the fresh faced rookie he should; look's more and more like a HoF, all American/ pro 15 year top tier veteran by the game. And I wouldn't take back 'the trade' if my life depended on it. I love the overall direction the HC is taking this team in. With those two men orchestrating things on and off the field, I have NO doubt we WILL return to the promised land.

But thanks to 'the trade'; and more so the man who's team we so agonisingly managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory today; it's gona' be at least another two years before we can even compete for post-season play. Let alone think about reaching the top of the mountain for a 4th time.

Now people will look at that, and doubtless start to question whether Coach Mike should be given that time if it's gona' be at least another two long years of regular season play and nothing else. In the same way the defense is getting lambasted tonight from all angles after throwing away a game we had won.

But let's put the reality of the situation, not least the defense, in stark black and white figures. And ask yourself, with everything else to still to attend to; just what Shanahan and co. can realistically be expected to do with one hand tied behind their backs?

It's no secret, as witnessed again today, we have a shocking defensive secondary. We need two starting, quality safety's, neither of which are currently on staff; and one if not two top tier corners. (Hopefully Minifield turns into something, but he's undrafted and coming off an ACL. So let's not pin too much on his young shoulders.). Throw in the captain and mainstay of the defense, Fletch, is coming to the end of his glorious career and needs replacing (maybe Robinson becomes that guy, maybe not. But he and Riley are not gona' strike any immediate fear into opponents next year), along with depth help; and even Stevie Wonder can see where the teams main problem lies.

Addressing it however, is easier said than done.

With no number 1 draft pick for the next two years, a serious need for a quality right tackle on the offensive side of the ball to compliment Trent; and another $ 18 million lost through that B/S cap penalty next year; we are up the metaphoric ' **** creek without a paddle ' until the 2014 season at least.

As we currently stand, with next years cap projected to be around $ 121 million, and taking into account the dead cap carry over minus the Cooley and doubtless at least Brown release hit, along with the $ 18 million penalty; we are marginally under the cap by around 3 million bucks or so. There's gona' have to be some serious restructuring to allow us to go forward with next years rooks and any cheap additions we can swing. Forget doing anything in FA to address the problem. And then you've players like Santana sat on a $ 6 million hit next year, and Merriweather at $ 3.5 who probably won't be here through age/ value. All of whom, along with others, will need to be replaced with bodies.

So scream as loud as you want about this player or that coach, or it being 'the same old Redskins save for RGIII' ; but ask yourself in the stark reality of the situation just what they can realistically be expected to do with one hand tied behind their back thanks to the cap B/S and the lack of top picks that had to spent on the once in a lifetime kid under center.

The progress we're seeing is great. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball. But the progress for the remainder of this year and next at least is gona' slow through little fault of our own.

Hail.

Soooo...in 2010...it was "watch out for us in 2011 when we get that QB. 2012 Playoffs. 2013-14 SB."

In 2011 it was "2012 playoff push with Luck/RGIII..2013-2014 SB"

Now it's 2015.

GHH...If this is true then Shanahan failed. Plain and simple. If it's 2015 and we are just ready to compete. He 110% failed.

Teams turn it around in 2-3 years routinely nowadays.

I think you underrate the opportunity to improve the D with later picks and modest FA acquisitions. I will stay patient for sure, but believe we can get our D to the middle of the pack even without 1st rounders. We could also see organic improvement on th team as well.

I agree with you especially regarding FA and if a good D player is on the cusp of choosing between us and someone else I believe the draw of RGIII will sway them here.

I think you underrate the opportunity to improve the D with later picks and modest FA acquisitions. I will stay patient for sure, but believe we can get our D to the middle of the pack even without 1st rounders. We could also see organic improvement on th team as well.

What are you improving but depth in reality there TD_w?

Is Gomes starting quality? Crawford? Bernstein? Docherty? The lower down you go, the more chances are your picking up depth guys. We need quality starting guys back there. First and at worst second round quality guys. And at least 3 if not all 4 of them IMHO.

As good as Griff and the O is, it's gona' be another few season's before we can seriously give the D the pieces to keep up with them and stop undoing their great work.

Hail.

What are you improving but depth in reality there TD_w?

Is Gomes starting quality? Crawford? Bernstein? Docherty? The lower down you go, the more chances are your picking up depth guys. We need quality starting guys back there. First and at worst second round quality guys. And at least 3 if not all 4 of them IMHO.

As good as Griff and the O is, it's gona' be another few season's before we can seriously give the D the pieces to keep up with them and stop undoing their great work.

Hail.

So...then it's on the regime for not drafting guys to put us over the top.

If this is the case, then Shanny is a failure

It's premature to say the Redskins won't have a first round pick next year or the year after.

They could package their picks for one. Someone could look at Kirk Cousins, see visions of Brett Favre dancing in their heads and trade for him. They could trade their 2013 2nd for a 2014 1st.

We're competing this year. With RG3, we're in any/every game.
With RG3 we can compete this year.

Superficially.

We're in games thanks to Robert's genius. But we aren't seriously competing for anyhing thanks to a lack of talent on the other side of the ball.

And if RGIII has a down game, we've nothing else.

Hail.

"Can't compete"? With just a couple plays turned around this season, even with this admittedly putrid secondary, we're sitting in first place. If we could've sealed the deal today on a very winnable game, we're in first place.

I'd call that competing.

I have to wonder why there isn't more of an outcry over Raheem Morris' performance vs. Haslett. I'm pissed at both of 'em, but Haslett was clearly on an upwards trajectory until Morris got here. Some of this definitely comes down to coaching along with the crappy personnel. I'm hoping Merriweather can help a little, when he ever gets back on the field.

I'll take the cap half full position. While the Mara screwing will harm us for at least one more year, the biggest problem on this team is one that is usually addressed in the second round. Safeties are usually not grabbed until then and thus we should be in the running for the cream of the crop. As for tackle, our line is actually plenty good, but even if we want to upgrade that first... remember, Jon Jansen was a near pro-bowl level tackle for years and he was a second rounder. Right tackles can be gotten in the second round. Safteties can be gotten in 2-5 and generally are.

Now, cornerback is a problem. Usually, those are grabbed either with top bucks or top picks and because of the trade and Mara's cheating we are lacking in both. So, while the cap hit hurt, the cap hell is only half empty or half full depending on your point of view.

I think a lot of our problems really do boil down to scheme and mismangement of personell and resources. Haslett seems to lose most games of chess. On the other hand, Kyle has shown that he is a playcaller this year.

So how do you fix the D to a sufficient level with no top picks, big needs elsewhere, and no chance of anything to any significant degree in FA?

Hail.

There are plenty of teams that make the playoffs every year with suspect secondaries and a crapload of injuries...

Saints and Packers come to mind. They have amazing QB play (as do we) that offsets it. We just have to limit mistakes and have another young guy make a leap.

I think you're just trying to make yourself feel better and not care as much and there is nothing wrong with that.

---------- Post added October-21st-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

Do we need changes? **** Yes but to say we are 3 years away from the playoffs is crazy

GHH, 2 quality safeties would help immensely. That could be your 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. I also have to imagine that some players could shake out from later in the draft or the current depth on our roster. Then I believe we will figure out a way to sign some FAs.

Are you implying that only 1st rounders can become starters? Our rookie RB was 4th string 2 months ago and now has about 700 yards through 7 games. Let's watch how things shake out. We did the hard work, we have our young franchise QB. The rest is fun to watch!

Your probably right.. Then we'll get a new coaching staff and have another 2-3 years of excuses as to why were not competitive.. Shanny's had 3 years to put (at least) competent players and coaches in place, and the product we have on the defensive side of the field is pitiful.. W/O RGIII the offensive side of the ball could look very similar.. This team was in a hole the last decade, but the turnaround hasn't been up to NFL speed imo.. Love Shanny, but it's getting harder to defend the product we see year in year out.. If they end this season with 6 or less wins, and don't contend for a playoff spot next year, I think the father son experiment will be over and removed.. We'll then have a new 3 year excuse to use! Lucky us!!!

There are plenty of teams that make the playoffs every year with suspect secondaries and a crapload of injuries...

Saints and Packers come to mind. They have amazing QB play (as do we) that offsets it. We just have to limit mistakes and have another young guy make a leap.

I think you're just trying to make yourself feel better and not care as much and there is nothing wrong with that.

Your expecting a rookie/ second year QB to play to the level of a Brees/ Rodgers// Manning EVERY week, and have to put up nigh on 30 or more points week on week just to stay ahead of a D that can't shore points up for ****? Oh, and one who'll maybe not have his vet. reliable guy in Moss next year, and nobody outside of Garcon showing they can step up to give him a top receiving target.

Not that we expect too much of Robert huh?

RGIII is only gona' take you so far without the resst of the team doing it's part. And without being able to add the quality pieces, it's invariably gona' struggle to do just that.

Hail.

Your expecting a rookie/ second year QB to play to the level of a Brees/ Rodgers// Manning EVERY week, and have to put up nigh on 30 or more points week on week just to stay ahead of a D that can't shore points up for ****? Oh, and one who'll maybe not have his vet. reliable guy in Moss next year, and nobody outside of Garcon showing they can step up to give him a top receiving target.

Not that we expect too much of Robert huh?

RGIII is only gona' take you so far without the resst of the team doing it's part. And without being able to add the quality pieces, it's invariably gona' struggle to do just that.

Hail.

If we expect him to make a leap to elite status and to be worth the ****load we gave up for him? Yes

If what you're saying is true then the last 3 years have been a waste and we might as well fire Shanahan since we are no closer to the playoffs than in 2010

Archived