Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Love hearing about Davis on the edge. I think he has shown some ability to rush when given a chance. 

This was his natural role coming out of college.   Del Taco tried to do something different with him, because the old coaching staff just flat out sucked and full of pride.....

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

This was his natural role coming out of college.   Del Taco tried to do something different with him, because the old coaching staff just flat out sucked and full of pride.....

Sort of.

The Kentucky coaches started with the idea of having him as a pass rusher but landed on LB.  He played weakside LB at Kentucky, he didn't blitz-rush much from LB but looked good in his limited snaps when he did.  I talked about it on the draft thread before that draft.

They moved him to MLB from WLB his rookie year.  Discovered he was a natural WLB so they moved him back there.

Jamin has been a decent albiet not great LB here.  But maybe what Kentucky coaches originally envisioned albiet they changed their minds about it, is his best spot.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I tend to lean towards positivity in my life, regardless of circumstance.

By that I mean I pretty much am always an enthusiastic believer, partcularly at this time of the year.

In some ways this ota period is no different than others for me-- I have the same gung ho, can do, attitude I try to bring to all aspects of my life.

However, this year just feels different. It actually feels special in it's own right, not just because I want it to be.

For once I don't need to engage in mental gymnastics or practice selective inattention and denial, with respect to the negative team actions that are usually abundant and staring me right in the face by now, because this year they're conspicuously absent.

This crew honestly seems like the real deal.

I am  accustomed to seasons that produce disappointment in spite of my natural positivity.

However, for the first time in years I find myself constantly  reassesing and expanding the upper limit of my wildest dreams for the long term prospects of this team, if not this season.

And that feels great.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 12
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hey man -- seeing these big guys getting after it like this is doing something to me lol. After watching this and listening to Joe Whitt kinda wanna go get into a fist fight (with someone much smaller than me) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

By that I mean I pretty much am always an enthusiastic believer, partcularly at this time of the year.

In some ways this ota period is no different than others for me-- I have the same gung ho, can do, attitude I try to bring to all aspects of my life.

However, this year just feels different. It actually feels special in it's own right, not just because I want it to be.

For once I don't need to engage in mental gymnastics or practice selective inattention and denial, with respect to the negative team actions that are usually abundant and staring me right in the face by now, because this year they're conspicuously absent.

I am  accustomed to seasons that produce disappointment in spite of my natural positivity.

However, for the first time in years I find myself constantly  reassesing and expanding the upper limit of my wildest dreams for this team and this season.

And that feels great.

I haven't hit the optimism stretch yet. I'm in the "we've made a lot of positive changes but the roster was sooo bad to begin with" mindset.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Man it is good to see Phil Mathis healthy and participating in those drills.  I've wanted to write him off, but he'd be huge for us if he can have a healthy season.  He's only played 206 snaps in his entire career.  This is the year where it turns around for him.  He's going to play all over our front.

The DL as a whole looks good.  Clelin Ferrell looks big, and I just have a good feeling about this group.  There are actually a ton of high draft picks on the line, they're talented, and they're going to play so much faster than we've played in the past.

I think this defense is for real.  I get the concerns about edge and corner, but the edge will be pressure by committee, and Dorance and our IDLs will lead the way.

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, Ertz if he can stay healthy is still going to ball.

We have to hope so, Sinnott is tantalizing but still just a rookie. Even the HoF bound TE's struggled as rookies so we shouldn't expect serious production from him this season.

We have to bail out the receiving corps somehow. Dyami sounds like he still ain't it. Luke is athletic but raw. They're saying the 5'8 average athlete Olamide Zaccheus (who couldn't produce in Philly) is looking to be WR3 or WR4.

Best option is the run game really hits the ground going.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I haven't hit the optimism stretch yet. I'm in the "we've made a lot of positive changes but the roster was sooo bad to begin with" mindset.

"For everything there is a season...turn, turn, turn..." 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We have to hope so, Sinnott is tantalizing but still just a rookie. Even the HoF bound TE's struggled as rookies so we shouldn't expect serious production from him this season.

We have to bail out the receiving corps somehow. Dyami sounds like he still ain't it. Luke is athletic but raw. They're saying the 5'8 average athlete Olamide Zaccheus (who couldn't produce in Philly) is looking to be WR3 or WR4.

Best option is the run game really hits the ground going.

Probably going to see Sinnott more in the H role, anyways.

could see him in 12 personnel. Heck, could see him in 13 personnel with Bates as in-line Y, Ertz split and him as a sniffer.

Also… I am unsure why people thought Ertz wasn’t going to play a lot. He’s the best receiving TE we’ve had in years.

• Like 5

Our defense is going to be so much fun to watch. We have guys that can bring pressure from everywhere. Whitt and Norton under Quinn is going to be the best defensive coaching we're had since I don't know when. I'm super excited about Quans development and to see how Sain and Newton develop. Seeing Vets be reborn like Allen and Payne. Wagner and Luvu? I can't remember a LBer tandem like that either.

With smart coaching on offense, guys like Ertz, Sinnott and Ekeler for the safe short game and TMac might finally have a break out year, since there is no way teams can ignore our run game and quick passes.

We have a lot to be excited about this season. A Lot.

• Like 11
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

However, for the first time in years I find myself constantly  reassesing and expanding the upper limit of my wildest dreams for this team and this season.

And that feels great.

I honestly believe most fans feel as you do.  Going back at least a decade I always watched on DVR delay to skip the commercials  The last few seasons I barely watched, after missing exactly 1 Redskins game in 40 years. Thankfully it was the dreadful 3-0 loss to the Jets that fell during the holidays and I was traveling,

But now I plan on watching live again.   There is no question this is a new era with better times ahead.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

And that feels great.

I hear you.

I don't have any expectations of a great or maybe even "good" season record-wise, but that's not what is most important to me this year.  All of us long time fans have witnessed more regime changes and "Year 1s" over the last several decades than we can stomach.  This is the install, observation of talent and eventual correction/addition of said talent year.  It has to be that way.   It's always positive this time of year and the energy is always up.  Same old sound bites from the coaches and players; it's all expected and somewhat rote.

But the difference this time is from whom the sound bites, analysis and FO decisions/changes/additions are coming.  We have actual accomplished, intelligent and classy people in charge now from ownership all the way down.  And I like that there's no promises being made - just dire intention.  

I see about a 7 win season, maybe 8 max.  And that's fine.  I'm excited to watch true growth this year, pretty much knowing it is finally going to count towards something larger that won't be ripped up two years from now.  I can watch a true blue-chip franchise QB prospect be coached, nurtured and developed intelligently and with an honest to goodness long term plan that is in his and the teams' best interest for a change.  That's a huge contrast to an overhyped, overdraft prospect that is stepping into a terrible and short-term coaching situation and foundation built on quicksand.  

For the first time in his 14.5 years of life, my son is actually excited and looking forward to rooting for this team.  He knows our history and has seen the SBs, etc.  If this team hadn't changed hands of ownership, I'd be left to quietly watch alone on Sundays with nothing but despair.   It felt like what my mother (one of the biggest football and Redskins fans that could have possibly lived) taught and passed down to me was going to stop with me.  And that caused immeasurable heartache.  

When I was growing up, this team was family.  Our Sunday dinners were either like a funeral wake or New Year's party depending on what happened in our game.  It was beyond splendid.  Harris and company have given me a chance to get that back again.  And they are and going to continue to represent our organization with class and intelligence and phenomenal effort to win.  Whatever our records are at the end of our seasons, that is all I ever asked.  I can root for that forever, even if it means never seeing another SB.   I'm grateful beyond measure to the people in charge now. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Probably going to see Sinnott more in the H role, anyways.

could see him in 12 personnel. Heck, could see him in 13 personnel with Bates as in-line Y, Ertz split and him as a sniffer.

Also… I am unsure why people thought Ertz wasn’t going to play a lot. He’s the best receiving TE we’ve had in years.

It's not unreasonable to question Ertz playing a lot. He's going to be 34 years old, and he missed a lot of games in 3 of his last 4 seasons.

• Like 1