Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

I was afraid that Daniels might be a bit too obsessed with social media presence and all that but it seems like he's actually more of a workaholic nerd that is obsessed with football. Traits you want in your QB.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I was afraid that Daniels might be a bit too obsessed with social media presence and all that but it seems like he's actually more of a workaholic nerd that is obsessed with football. Traits you want in your QB.

He prolly could not do as much football stuff as he usually did during the predraft process and was slowly going insane.

Football is his outlet

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's certainly not RG3 trying to promote a (harmless) side hustle immediately of selling novelty socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Listening to Keim and also a Keim podcast with a WP reporter, to combine their thoughts.

The WP report was impressed with Daniels' delivery, arm strength in person and was surprised he wasn't as skinny and she thought he would be.

As for Keim, I'll start with i love all the stories about Daniels being a football-film junkie.  To a point that @wit33 made which I agree with, ideally you want your player obsessed with football.  Clearly this dude is.  Keim has several times that people he knows who knows him said Daniels is a footbal junkie as is his dad.  Kingsbury referenced Daniels preperation too among other people who highlighted it. 

His QB coach talked about Daniels flew out to practice with him the day after the draft.  Hearing about him calling out the protections on his flight home from the team facility.  Keim said on the first day of practice he was already on top of the playbook and directing players to their proper spots.  On and on and on.

I know we all have our theories about what seperates QBs.  For me, talent is #1.  But to me a strong #2 isn't the idea that its about the team-support.  To me that's important but its number 3.  To me #2 is what is the makeup-drive of these QBs?  The ones that are special most often have special drive -- Brady-Manning, etc.  They are obsessed with being great. 

That's one of the points that O'Sullivan made in one of his QB school segments.  That is, according to him he's been around his share of QBs and others who know their share of QBs.  And the work ethic and drive isn't the same from player to player -- not even close.  He went you'd think that such and such QB in the off season would work on addressing their weaknesses but plenty of them don't.

Is Daniels going to be great or not?  Don't know of course.  But if you combine his skill set and drive -- he comes off special where I like his odds to be great.

The last QB we had that was described as this driven was Kirk.  And Kirk doesn't have Daniels' level of talent.  Some said RG3 but RG3 didn't actually have a hot reputation for studying film.  His rep was he was a workout fiend.   And he was clearly all into the ego side of it and trappings of being a celebrity QB.  Daniels seems like a total different cat.

And I like the fact that Peyton knows Daniels and endorses him. Peyton isn't always the easiest dude to please.  I recall watching some of his QB takes on Wentz and Trubisky and it wasn't all kind and that was before it was cool to trash those QBs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im going to be making this reference all season lol 

Hopefully 

I thought the point of Paul's character in Dune was that he was a false messiah of a fake religion seeded onto a planet to control the population and co-opt them into participating in a larger imperial power struggle.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I used to have high hopes for RG3, thinking he might be football's version of Michael Jordan. Yet, it seemed he leaned too heavily on his natural athleticism and didn't fully commit to honing his craft. But now, with Jayden Daniels, there's a new excitement. He's got that freak athleticism, but what appears to set him apart is his dedication to mastering the game. It's rare to see a dual-threat QB like him prioritize both physical prowess and the mental aspect of the game. While many elite dual-threat quarterbacks before him were known for their physicality and intense workout regimens, Daniels seems to embrace the importance of fundamentals and game processing. It's refreshing that he doesn't solely rely on his physical gifts; he's invested in the process, striving for greatness day in and day out. 

It wouldn't be surprising if he harbors insecurities about his physical stature, which could have led him to prioritize other aspects of his game from an early age. But who knows for sure? It's all just speculation, but it's fun to think about nonetheless.

Comparisons are being drawn to Anthony Edwards and Michael Jordan, not just because of his physical abilities, but more importantly, because of his competitive drive and relentless work ethic. Dare I say, I see some similarities between Ant Man and Daniels.

Yup, not one snap and he’s being put in same paragraph as Michael Jordan. lol 

Its May, be easy on me. 

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I thought the point of Paul's character in Dune was that he was a false messiah of a fake religion seeded onto a planet to control the population and co-opt them into participating in a larger imperial power struggle.

I would have to spoil the ending of the books to fully answer this. 

Spoiler

😛 its a joke

However....

Spoiler

Its way more complicated than that in the end. He does actually fulfil the freeman "prophecy". He is definitely not a God or a messiah but he gets mighty close. Certainly more than human I would argue. I dont know how to answer really. I spent 30 minutes on just this lol 

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Comparisons are being drawn to Anthony Edwards

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I see some similarities between Ant Man and Daniels.

If we're gonna make that comparison I say we call him goose to be original and throw in another degree of separation on the 7 scale.

2024-05-13_NFL-all-impact-rookie-team_16

Predicting NFL's top rookie at each position: Jayden Daniels over Caleb Williams?

Quarterback: Jayden Daniels, Washington Commanders (first round, No. 2 overall, QB2)

Sorry, Bears fans. While I expect No. 1 overall pick Caleb Williams to post impressive numbers for Chicago, I am even more intrigued by the statistics the dual-threat Daniels might generate in Kliff Kingsbury's offense in D.C. 

Much has been made about the Bears' weapons (and for good reason), but the Commanders' runners, receivers and tight ends are arguably just as talented. If Daniels can stay healthy, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner will justify this pick and lead this year's celebrated quarterback class in passing yards and touchdowns.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I used to have high hopes for RG3, thinking he might be football's version of Michael Jordan. Yet, it seemed he leaned too heavily on his natural athleticism and didn't fully commit to honing his craft. But now, with Jayden Daniels, there's a new excitement. He's got that freak athleticism, but what appears to set him apart is his dedication to mastering the game. It's rare to see a dual-threat QB like him prioritize both physical prowess and the mental aspect of the game. While many elite dual-threat quarterbacks before him were known for their physicality and intense workout regimens, Daniels seems to embrace the importance of fundamentals and game processing. It's refreshing that he doesn't solely rely on his physical gifts; he's invested in the process, striving for greatness day in and day out. 

It wouldn't be surprising if he harbors insecurities about his physical stature, which could have led him to prioritize other aspects of his game from an early age. But who knows for sure? It's all just speculation, but it's fun to think about nonetheless.

Comparisons are being drawn to Anthony Edwards and Michael Jordan, not just because of his physical abilities, but more importantly, because of his competitive drive and relentless work ethic. Dare I say, I see some similarities between Ant Man and Daniels.

Yup, not one snap and he’s being put in same paragraph as Michael Jordan. lol 

Its May, be easy on me. 

RG3 wasn't known as a dude who loved to study.  Kyler Murray ditto.    As to running QBs. 

Daniels' work ethic comes off in that upper tier strata.   Doesn't of course guarantee success but it should increase the odds. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

RG3 wasn't known as a dude who loved to study.  Kyler Murray ditto.    As to running QBs. 

Daniels' work ethic comes off in that upper tier strata.   Doesn't of course guarantee success but it should increase the odds. 

He's probably one of the first, if not the very first, to fully commit to being an elite runner while also mastering throwing from the pocket. Those who came before him often seemed to struggle against the stigma of being labeled a running QB. I get it; it's been a tough battle against the traditional perceptions of what a QB should be. But he's different. He seems like a guy dead set on shaking up the league his own way, without giving a damn about what others think. That's just my gut feeling about him.

If a season hands him a thousand-yard rushing season, he'll take it. If it's 500 yards, he'll take that too. He's out there balling to win and compete, plain and simple. Some might say "competing" is a broad term, but spend some time around young athletes, and you'll quickly spot the real competitors from the rest.

Just my feel early as I get to know him. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He's probably one of the first, if not the very first, to fully commit to being an elite runner while also mastering throwing from the pocket. Those who came before him often seemed to struggle against the stigma of being labeled a running QB. I get it; it's been a tough battle against the traditional perceptions of what a QB should be. But he's different. He seems like a guy dead set on shaking up the league his own way, without giving a damn about what others think. That's just my gut feeling about him.

If a season hands him a thousand-yard rushing season, he'll take it. If it's 500 yards, he'll take that too. He's out there balling to win and compete, plain and simple. Some might say "competing" is a broad term, but spend some time around young athletes, and you'll quickly spot the real competitors from the rest.

Just my feel early as I get to know him. 

interesting point from a PFF guy on a podcast about Jayden which is he would like to see him leave the pocket more. 

Some have discussed Jayden needs to throw more off platform when leaving the pocket.

My point was he’s good throwing off platform when he does do it.

The PFF’s guy point is also that he agrees hes good off platform.

But he took a diiferent approach to that point which is that Daniels hangs too much in thr pocket.

We absolutely have a winner's spirit in Jayden Daniels.   I believe it's going to be special....time will tell if it's the cream of the crop special or the middle of the pack special.   I don't believe he'll be bad over his career though.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

We absolutely have a winner's spirit in Jayden Daniels.   I believe it's going to be special....time will tell if it's the cream of the crop special or the middle of the pack special.   I don't believe he'll be bad over his career though.  

I agree. He went through so much in college and he just kept plugging away. You have to love the game of football and be strong minded to overcome as much as he did in college.

Sounds like he is not taking anything for granted. His studying is going to pay dividends. I love hearing that.

What separated Peyton Manning IMO from other QB's was his ability was to read defenses. It certainly was not his arm talent. He used to say jokingly "I throw ducks."  You think of Brady and Manning, and they were meticulous in their preparation for upcoming games. I think Daniels is following in their footsteps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t reiterate enough how calm he is under pressure and in comeback situations. We are going to have that unfamiliar feeling of “we are never out of a game” with Jayden. :lol: Special times ahead gents. Special times ahead! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Sorry, Bears fans. While I expect No. 1 overall pick Caleb Williams to post impressive numbers for Chicago, I am even more intrigued by the statistics the dual-threat Daniels might generate in Kliff Kingsbury's offense in D.C. 

Much has been made about the Bears' weapons (and for good reason), but the Commanders' runners, receivers and tight ends are arguably just as talented. If Daniels can stay healthy, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner will justify this pick and lead this year's celebrated quarterback class in passing yards and touchdowns.

Lmao... this guy must be a Commanders fan. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I can’t reiterate enough how calm he is under pressure and in comeback situations. We are going to have that unfamiliar feeling of “we are never out of a game” with Jayden. :lol: Special times ahead gents. Special times ahead! 

I heard in one podcast, that his dad would highlight Joe Montana to Jayden and show how cool he was in big moments and how criticial that is to the position.

Giants blog below

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=645559

I think JD is going to be a problem for us twice a year  

BleedBlue46 : 4/17/2024 3:29 pm : link
  • Like 2