Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Hoping for a Josh Jones OT from Houston or Tyron Smith signing with serious incentives concerning health for big bucks on a 1- or 2-year deal today.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We're going to have to start Dorance because of a lack of better options, but he's a rotational edge who has never played more than 540 snaps in a season before.  Toohill and JSW are UFAs and might not be here this year, but neither are starting caliber anyway.

In the middle, our only back ups are Ridgeway and Mathis.  I have doubts that Mathis makes the roster, and Ridgeway is pretty bad.  The depth in the interior is basically gone, and we're going to be in a position where an Allen or Payne injury kills us if we don't do something about it.

Those are all post draft type of FAs. If you can't draft a promising DE that's good at holding an edge, so resign JSW or Toohill. 

Solid role players, except Mathis who just hasn't played. They're good for the back of the roster and because of our signings, I don't think it changes the fact that DE and CB might be BPA at 36/40 and after we sign a LT, we aren't forced to sign any position.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hoping for a Josh Jones OT from Houston or Tyron Smith signing with serious incentives concerning health for big bucks on a 1- or 2-year deal today.  

In a weird sort of way Im not worried about this FO making LT a priority. They will find someone, might not be ideal based on what's available, ultimately they may wait until the draft, but unlike previous years I know that they realize its a big need and they will address it. Sounds like common sense but that's not what we had here previously. All of this incredibly deep analysis by me is just based on what we have seen the past couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

You get the QB at the first opportunity that you can, because the opportunity is rare. You can’t just plan to get him in the second offseason and have it happen.

They do not come from anywhere. They overwhelmingly come from the top of the 1st round, and all analytics bear that out. The fact that you can name all of the exceptions is why they are exceptions.

Also you quoted someone saying to trade Howell after preseason and somehow misread it as a post supporting keeping Howell as the potential franchise QB. The definition of seeing what you want to see lol

Sorry corrected my wording.  What I meant , to the question of if you knew Howell and were would you draft him? I would take a shot because of what I saw the first half and what happened the 2nd. half. I would take that shot in the 2nd.  And they do come from anywhere, just to disagree with that point. S.B. is the goal and they are not coming from the top only. But that has run it;s course in here, pretty sure we are picking a top one. Back to the draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Those are all post draft type of FAs. If you can't draft a promising DE that's good at holding an edge, so resign JSW or Toohill. 

Solid role players, except Mathis who just hasn't played. They're good for the back of the roster and because of our signings, I don't think it changes the fact that DE and CB might be BPA at 36/40 and after we sign a LT, we aren't forced to sign any position.

Agreed.

The one guy I would like to see us resign before the draft is big Cornelious Lucas.

I actually think he's a better player than Wylie (which really isn't exactly a high bar to hurdle).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Ridgeway came from the Cowboys. They liked him enough they kept only one QB on the roster. DQ will keep him around

The Cowboys cut Ridgeway before his first game.  That's how we were able to sign him.  We might keep him due to a lack of alternatives, but he's not a credible back up.  He played 350 snaps last year, but had just a 39.5 PFF grade and only 2 AV.

IDL feels like a position we need to address in free agency.  We probably need two players who can give us about 350 snaps that are actually good, but failing that, we need at least one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 2

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

The Cowboys cut Ridgeway before his first game.  That's how we were able to sign him.  We might keep him due to a lack of alternatives, but he's not a credible back up.  He played 350 snaps last year, but had just a 39.5 PFF grade and only 2 AV.

IDL feels like a position we need to address in free agency.  We probably need two players who can give us about 350 snaps that are actually good, but failing that, we need at least one.

Matty I is a free agent.. I wouldn't mind bringing him back to help bolster the IDL

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Luvu is the only significant near term upgrade to the run D.  I agree that run defense is the thing that Ferrell does well, but he's a 400 snap rotation player.  He doesn't really upgrade your run D a ton.  Chinn is a flyer taken in the hopes he can get back to where he was two years ago, not really a serious attempt to upgrade the run defense either.

We had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last season.  It's going to take a lot more than Frankie Luvu and a couple of rotation caliber edges to get them to being average.  Especially since right now we're going to have to play Payne and Allen like 900 snaps each.  Eventually we're going to have to throw some expensive resources at the group and bring in high end starters at DL, LB, and inside DB.

That's what the draft is for. Let Peters take some swings at real dynamic game changing talent. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To be fair, 5 of the new FAs don't have a value added yet.  Biadasz (3.2 I think), Ertz (~3 guess), Ferrell (3.75), Fowler (Guessing 3) and Mariota (6mill).  So another ~19 will come off that number.

image.thumb.png.0396bf9f9aa74226a657af65595e1911.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Absolutely. Assuming that we're keeping Wylie at RT, signing Lucas for swing BU, I'd be fine with Smith as starting LT 11 games next year. It also allows us a chance to wait until day three for OT projects.

If we signed Smith, I still think we need to draft a LT in round 2. We need to groom a stud, as Smith won’t be here too long. And the 2nd rounder can hopefully jump in a start at a decent level, when Smith gets injured (which will most likely happen sooner than later).

Just now, CommDownMan said:

To be fair, 5 of the new FAs don't have a value added yet.  Biadasz (3.2 I think), Ertz (~3 guess), Ferrell (3.75), Fowler (Guessing 3) and Mariota (6mill).  So another ~19 will come off that number.

Keim said the same on his youtube. It's not that number, but it's also still a lot of room even when those guys are added to the cap.

2 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Dont let facts ruin my parade

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

Thanks. I was going to reply and just say “that’s not right” because it’s too early for me to put even a minimal amount of effort into my posting. Your response is better.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

His rookie year was the first year people could be called up from the practice squad. They kept him, cut both QBs and signed them to the PS. Then Dak got hurt in the first games and they decided they couldn't play games and cut him to sign both when Dak went to IR

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Nice thing is all of those guys except Biadasz come off of the books at the end of season. We will have mass cap space going forward for the next few years at least. 

Edit: Nice  thing about that is if the rookie shows that he is the one. We can take some swings on some big fish in FA to make a Super Bowl run while he is on his rookie contract. 

Edited by clskinsfan

8 hours ago, zCommander said:

How little you remember then. I also said do not trade for anyone and let him play so we can get a QB in the 2022 draft. That was my whole reason. Since R. Wilson was on the decline so was Carr. Said no to Garapalo and Trubs. Trading for Wetz was stupid and as you remember I was not too happy about that but you all tried to convince me he was an upgrade over TH. At the time I said yes but marginally. Guess I was right and you were wrong. It is okay to be wrong. ;) 

Yes and you were wrong about that too.  They had to do something, anything because Heinicke cannot play in the NFL.  They had to take a shot.  They did.  It didn’t work out.  

He’s probably going to be released, maybe today, and he probably won’t get another job.  That’s how bad he is.  

They had to try something, anything, other than starting a QB who didn’t have the talent to play in the XFL.  Problem was Ms, there were no good options.  But they had to try something.  

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's what the draft is for. Let Peters take some swings at real dynamic game changing talent. 

I think we'll have a good draft, but you can't really count on that for near term improvement.  And I have a suspicion that we're going to be offense heavy with our six picks in the top 102.  My guess is that four of them end up being a QB, WR, and two OLs.

But I do think there is still a good chance that CB and IDL could be BPAs for us in round two and edge could be BPA in round three, and that if we draft those positions in that range they could play as rookies.

I'm hoping Peters repeats some of the San Francisco magic at finding middle round linebackers too.  Someone like Trotter could be nice in round four or five.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think we'll have a good draft, but you can't really count on that for near term improvement.  And I have a suspicion that we're going to be offense heavy with our six picks in the top 102.  My guess is that four of them end up being a QB, WR, and two OLs.

But I do think there is still a good chance that CB and IDL could be BPAs for us in round two and edge could be BPA in round three, and that if we draft those positions in that range they could play as rookies.

I'm hoping Peters repeats some of the San Francisco magic at finding middle round linebackers too.  Someone like Trotter could be nice in round four or five.

Right now, I think CB and OT are going to be the picks with round 2.  Kool-Aid might make it to our pick at 36.  We almost have to take OT with one of our 2nd rounders.  We have nothing at the position.  I know you are a huge Peyton Wilson fan.  Would you take him with our early 3rd or take someone like Ellis instead?  Wilson's scary medicals might cause him to fall to our early 4th, but I think he eventually gets taken in between then.  His tape is too good for him to fall that far.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Then why did you just add a Vet back up and have 2 on the team?

Because only 9 QBs survived through 17 starts last season and only 2 QBs have started every game over the last 2 seasons.

QBs take a beating - they get injured.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We're going to have to start Dorance because of a lack of better options, but he's a rotational edge who has never played more than 540 snaps in a season before.  Toohill and JSW are UFAs and might not be here this year, but neither are starting caliber anyway.

In the middle, our only back ups are Ridgeway and Mathis.  I have doubts that Mathis makes the roster, and Ridgeway is pretty bad.  The depth in the interior is basically gone, and we're going to be in a position where an Allen or Payne injury kills us if we don't do something about it.

I dont see a whole lot of difference between Toohill and Ferrell.  I guess Fowler is a situational pass rusher, but he's always seemed better than he actually is.  He's always been a little underwhelming, IMO. 

And I'm a little wary of Armstrong and Fowler eating off Parsons being a terror.  If Payne and Allen can do their thing inside, then maybe Fowler can replicate the year he had when he was with Aaron Donald Inside.

I kinda disagree on Ridgeway.  As a backup DT, he's fine.  He had his moments.  As a rotational guy, you could do a lot worse.  I think with Quinn, we'll see guys possible put in better positions to succeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont see a whole lot of difference between Toohill and Ferrell.  I guess Fowler is a situational pass rusher, but he's always seemed better than he actually is.  He's always been a little underwhelming, IMO. 

And I'm a little wary of Armstrong and Fowler eating off Parsons being a terror.  If Payne and Allen can do their thing inside, then maybe Fowler can replicate the year he had when he was with Aaron Donald Inside.

I kinda disagree on Ridgeway.  As a backup DT, he's fine.  He had his moments.  As a rotational guy, you could do a lot worse.  I think with Quinn, we'll see guys possible put in better positions to succeed.

I think Ferrell is a far better player against the run than Toohill is. And a comparable pass rusher. He hasnt lived up to where he was drafted. But the guy can play.