Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Perfect back up QB.  Quiet, can move a little bit (something Kliff made clear was a skill that he desires at his presser) and if pressed into duty, can play.  

Another smart acquisition.  Low number and for 1 year.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The type of QB Mariota is has no impact on the type of QB we'll be drafting at #2.

I’d say it’s more a sign that we are going with Maye. If it was Daniel’s, I would think we would keep Howell around.

but in reality, it’s probably not an indicator of anything other than somebody on the staff liked Mariota.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’d say it’s more a sign that we are going with Maye. If it was Daniel’s, I would think we would keep Howell around.

Its about play style. Mariota is a lot closer to Daniels as a player than Maye. You don't bring in a backup that is totally different than who you plan to draft. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Mariota doesnt seem like the type of player this staff would target. 

He flat out quit and disappeared on his team because he was angry about playing time. 

Weird signing…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, illone said:

Mariota doesnt seem like the type of player this staff would target. 

He flat out quit and disappeared on his team because he was angry about playing time. 

Weird signing…

Thats not what happened. It is thoroughly explained on the Netflix show 'Quarterback'

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

I'd take Howell over Jones any day.

That's not the point. I would too, but their league wide value is basically the same. Howell isn't demonstrably better to the point where he'd fetch that much more compensation. If Jones goes for a 6th, Howell best case probably fetches a 5th.

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Thats not what happened. It is thoroughly explained on the Netflix show 'Quarterback'

I watched Quarterback. He got hurt, had a kid, and at the same time got benched, so he used that as an opportunity to quit.

He could have still come to the facility, been in the meeting room, been on the practice field etc. to help Ridder.

But instead he quit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its about play style. Mariota is a lot closer to Daniels as a player than Maye. You don't bring in a backup that is totally different than who you plan to draft. 

Thats not true. Mariota can certainly run, but so can Maye. Just because Daniels is a more clearly defined "running qb" doesnt mean signing Mariota implies anything about the draft.

• Like 3

In real-time nobody knew where he was, unless I am misremembering what happened. 

After the fact we learned it was injury related, but his teammates didnt know. Bad look overall. 

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Disagree actually.  I think Mariota might be more similar to Maye.  Maye scrambles around and throws on the move more than Daniels does.  Daniels doesn’t really scramble.  He passes from the pocket structure or he becomes a runner.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I understand what people are saying, I just don’t think that was the actual thought process behind the signing.

1 minute ago, illone said:

In real-time nobody knew where he was, unless I am misremembering what happened. 

After the fact we learned it was injury related, but his teammates didnt know. Bad look overall. 

What happened was he got injured and his wife gave birth roughly around the same time the Falcons decided to bench him. He took that opportunity to quit. The Falcons coaches were okay with this, probably why that team is a joke and said coach got fired a year later(but I digress).

Don't like this signing at all, but ultimately he's just a backup for a few million bucks. Not a death knell.

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I understand what people are saying, I just don’t think that was the actual thought process behind the signing.

Mobility is valued in backups because they can at least come in and pick up cheap first downs on broken plays from time to time with their legs.

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Meh. Everyone knew we were gonna sign a vet QB. Hope he never sees the field. 

Pains me to see every year GMs think its imperative to bring in a failed QB to show the greenhorns how to fail under the guise that it is providing stability or whatever. I would rather have a former QB as an OC assistant type or QB coach to mentor...

Seems like a waste of 5M to me.  I'd rather go with rookie - 3rd year QBs as backups and tank vs Mariota pressed into duty and eek us to mediocrity and a ****ty draft pick.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's not the point. I would too, but their league wide value is basically the same. Howell isn't demonstrably better to the point where he'd fetch that much more compensation. If Jones goes for a 6th, Howell best case probably fetches a 5th.

You could well be right, but we know who Jones is at this point, Howell has a lot more upside IMO.  Gonna respond more fully in the qb thread though…

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1