Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Posted (edited)

I'm excited for when the training  camp cuts start up.

We will have second priority (only behind Carolina) from now, up until the 1st game of the season.

With APs sharp eye for talent, we should definitely improve our team with another 5 to 8 surprise cut type players.

I just hope 1 or 2 of them can at least provide solid o-line depth, even if they don't immediately start for us.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'd be curious to hear from SENIOR PERSONNEL EXECUTIVE/ADVISOR TO THE GM. Martin Mayhew on why/how this player got drafted.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

When it comes to the o-line I'm starting to get desperate.

If I were calling the shots I'd be tempted to pull a Dr. Frankenstein and tell Igor to "Fetch me a fresh body!"

According to this new report we just might be working on a fresh body right now.

Take a deep breath and hold your nose before you read who it is though...

Washington Commanders Scout ‘Best Fit’ Ex-Chiefs Tackle Donovan Smith

Brent Edward Brent Edward
18 mins ago

Ww

Key Takeaways:

– Washington Commanders secure QB Jayden Daniels with No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL draft

– The team’s high priority is protecting Daniels following last season’s rampant sack challenges

– Pro Football Network opines free-agent Donovan Smith, a former Super Bowl champion, as ‘the best fit’ for Commanders

– Donovan Smith tops the active free-agents list with a market value of $10.2 million

– Despite Smith’s above-average pass-blocking grades, penalties and a previous neck injury might deter potential deals

Commanders Review Protector Options

The Washington Commanders recently made a bold move in the 2024 NFL draft, bringing in promising talent Jayden Daniels as their quarterback. Following a shaky season marked by numerous sacks, the team’s focus for the coming games is clear – protecting their new hope Daniels.

Commanders Eye Donovan Smith as Potential Guard

The team is considering adding hiring power to bolster their offense in the form of Super Bowl winner Donovan Smith. Dallas Robinso from Pro Football Network suggests that Smith could be the “best fit” as an offensive tackle for the Commanders.

In his May 3 article, Robinson underlines the need for a seasoned tackle in the lineup. He mentions that despite filling in most gaps during the draft, the Commanders could require backup when defending Daniels.

Smith’s Impressive, Yet Checkered Track Record

Over his career, Smith has made 136 starts. Although injuries hindered him in the 2023 season, he managed to participate in 12 regular-season games and four playoff games, which led him to a Super Bowl victory.

His decent performance considering his conditions, along with a market value of $10.2 million, makes him a viable contender for the Commanders.

The team’s cap space, according to Over the Cap, is a comfortable $43.4 million, making financials no issue for this potential acquisition.

Penalties Remain a Concern

Despite Smith’s commendable performance, his penalty record has attracted considerable attention. During his run with the Kansas City Chiefs, he ranked 11th for the most penalties at his position, drawing 11 flags in 12 games.

Over the past four seasons, Smith has incurred 29 penalties, a record that ties him at third-most among all players, per ESPN’s Bill Barnwell.

He points out that Smith’s penalties do not place him at a disadvantage, using the example of Jawaan Taylor, who, despite frequent penalties, won a Super Bowl.

Injury Concerns

Barnwell also raises concerns about Smith’s health following his neck injury last season, which kept him off the field for the last five games in the Chiefs’ regular season.

OT Necessity for Commanders

While Smith’s penalties and previous injury are points of concern, his pass block win rate of close to 91% reflects his value as an offensive tackle. In the 749 offensive snaps he played last season, he permitted only two sacks and consistently scored above-average pass-blocking grades.

By recruiting Smith, the Commanders could also assuage fans’ concerns over protection for Daniels, which seems to have been an issue post-draft, despite the third-round selection of Brandon Coleman.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'd be curious to hear from SENIOR PERSONNEL EXECUTIVE/ADVISOR TO THE GM. Martin Mayhew on why/how this player got drafted.  

To be fair he was decent/solid his first couple of seasons. He dropped off a cliff last season. He was tinkering with his technique but it was probably just mental. He just lost confidence and had zero consistency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bummed to see Tyler Boyd off the market.  He has height and is a good teammate.  1 year deal for a max of 4.5 mil.  Surprised he wasn't viewed as a fit here.  I'd rather have him than brown.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2024 at 3:38 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Holy googly moly.....Wow.  Probably the worst LS in NFL history lol

On 5/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, RWJ said:

Ron overruled all with an iron fist of candy...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Galdi says that someone from Over The Cap tracks roster turnover and specifically the % of players from a team that the next season are out of the NFL and we are dead last in the NFL. 

Specifically, if he is correct, 27% of our roster last season is out of the NFL entirely. That says nothing about the coaches who will never coach again. I have been saying for years that everyone in the NFL is talented. Surprise! I was wrong again lol 

I cant find the post or whatever it is he is talking about. But he talks about it here. 

Still sending whats his face a ring if we get it though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

We always get excited about these UDFAs and ~1% of the time do they make the roster, much less make an actual impact. 

Specific to this guy, I think I can run a 40 faster than he did and I'm 51 years old and have a bad knee.

Edited by bird_1972
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

We always get excited about these UDFAs and ~1% of the time do they make the roster, much less make an actual impact. 

Specific to this guy, I think I can run a 40 faster than he did and I'm 51 years old and have a bad knee.

Certainly true, but I think the counterpoint to this is that there's probably never a better opportunity for an UDFA than during a regime change.  It's likely they currently feel better about some of their own UDFA selections than they do Ron's 6th and 7th rounders.  Whether that holds true through camp or not remains to be seen.

And on an interesting note on Rosemy-Jacksaint, he is polar opposite of the rest of the actually picked class in that his RAS is non-existent.  With a group that seem to value RAS pretty highly, there must be at least one thing about him in spite of the lacking athleticism that they really like.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

They gave Sainristil number 2: Dyami Brown your ass is good as gone lol

McCaffrey will look good coming out of the slot with 12.

Jean-Baptiste with 90 has a strong looking number. 

Newton with 95 works too.

At first glance nothing really looks wrong to me.

Let's start hitting!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Witten had an awesome career. That would be awesome.

I used to watch Cooley shade Witten and think to myself "Man, you wished you had half the career he did," as much as it pained me that he didn't.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I used to watch Cooley shade Witten and think to myself "Man, you wished you had half the career he did," as much as it pained me that he didn't.

He possibly could have, if he took care of his body. He’s talked multiple times about how he didn’t really “get” that aspect of being a pro until it was too late. I always resented him a little for that, even though it’s his career that was shortened. But he could have had a shot at being a great with more longevity. He basically missed the entire TE revolution the NFL went through in the second half of Witten’s career. He was a little before his time, in a way 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

He possibly could have, if he took care of his body. He’s talked multiple times about how he didn’t really “get” that aspect of being a pro until it was too late. I always resented him a little for that, even though it’s his career that was shortened. But he could have had a shot at being a great with more longevity. He basically missed the entire TE revolution the NFL went through in the second half of Witten’s career. He was a little before his time, in a way 

I love that Sinnott is kind of a better Cooley clone.

• Like 4