Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

23 hours ago, MartinC said:

I like Samuels - he's a good player but we need to get younger and bigger at that #3 WR spot. But that makes me laugh. Since when is 10 yards a catch 'explosive'??

Kidding...but, maybe they're factoring in that it's basically all YAC when most of his catches were at or behind the line of scrimmage?

Bough will be the “vet presence” for Maye/Daniels and Howell will be the backup.

If Maye/Daniels isn’t ready to start week #1 then Howell will and they can learn plenty watching him whether he does well or not.

Any questions from Maye/Daniels about “why is” or “why that” concerning all things QB play can be answered by Blough/Prichard/Johnson/Kingsbury.

There is no need to bring in a vet imo. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Bough will be the “vet presence” for Maye/Daniels and Howell will be the backup.

If Maye/Daniels isn’t ready to start week #1 then Howell will and they can learn plenty watching him whether he does well or not.

Any questions from Maye/Daniels about “why is” or “why that” concerning all things QB play can be answered by Blough/Prichard/Johnson/Kingsbury.

There is no need to bring in a vet imo. 

Interesting point, thanks.

I tend to agree that FA QB list is eh, and I’d rather roll with 2 QBs. If they both get hurt it’s going to be a terrible season (but high draft pick) anyway. 

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

No chance he fetches a 2nd. 

Maybe not but we wait and see if someone is desperate enough to do it.  

Edited by RWJ

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I really don’t know where this narrative is coming from that Howell and Maye can’t coexist.

I listened to the whole interview and I don’t think it was taken out of context.  Would they make it work? Yes.  Should the Commanders force them to? I don’t think so.

Players and people.  And these are 20 year olds.  They are going to be competing for playing time, if one screws up the other has to come in and it could be perceived they are taking the others job.  

It’s not ideal.  I can imagine it would be uncomfortable.  And it could put a strain on a very good friendship.

This is why you never work for your significant other.  And preferably don’t work with them.  Could it work? Yes.  Could it also be a disaster?  Yes, and more often.  

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Sam Howell.

We might sign a vet but given Howells worked in the system Kingsbury (we assume) will run and has a year of starting under his belt he is a good backup option on a rookie deal.

But Sam can’t really help a rookie learn the ropes because he’s still learning himself.  Which is why I’d prefer a guy who’s been around longer, has more experience, and can be a better “this is how it’s done” guy.

Brissett would be perfect. Hes not coming back. 

Somebody like that would be more beneficial to the team than Howell.  

And I like Howell.  I think, if he is able to get over the PT-EB-SD, he might be good.  Or very good.  But he also might be ruined.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

It's great that Howell has so much value. Even Keim believes they can get a third for him. I believe some teams may value him more than Fields because of his contract. 

What would be WILD is if somehow he fetched a higher trade value than Fields.  

Which I don’t think will happen but I’m not sure it won’t be somewhat close.  

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But Sam can’t really help a rookie learn the ropes because he’s still learning himself.  Which is why I’d prefer a guy who’s been around longer, has more experience, and can be a better “this is how it’s done” guy.

Brissett would be perfect. Hes not coming back. 

Somebody like that would be more beneficial to the team than Howell.  

And I like Howell.  I think, if he is able to get over the PT-EB-SD, he might be good.  Or very good.  But he also might be ruined.  

Assuming Kingsbury runs some version of air raid Howell does know the system. He’s got starting experience and has shown an ability to play at this level. 

So Howell knows the playbook and can help a rookie find his feet - especially if it’s not Maye who also knows the system.

I can see the argument for a true vet - but if your backup knows the system (and so doesn’t need that many reps while a rookie beds in, can come in and give you a chance if he has to start AND is cheap … that’s about all you can ask from your backup.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Assuming Kingsbury runs some version of air raid Howell does know the system. He’s got starting experience and has shown an ability to play at this level. 

So Howell knows the playbook and can help a rookie find his feet - especially if it’s not Maye who also knows the system.

I can see the argument for a true vet - but if your backup knows the system (and so doesn’t need that many reps while a rookie beds in, can come in and give you a chance if he has to start AND is cheap … that’s about all you can ask from your backup.

I think you still want a true vet.  Maybe you bring in that guy as the third stringer.  

You know, a guy who might be a perfect backup now who they would never sign for obvious reasons?  Carson Wentz.  By all accounts he was a fantastic teammate here, he just didn’t play well. McVay signed him and he was, by all accounts, a great teammate there.  And he played better in the last game.

He has been through everything, started a lot of games, and dealt with a crazy amount of adversity. Apparently he was a great sounding board for Heinicke and was always very supportive. He also has to know at this point he’s not getting a starter job. 

I don’t think we would do it.  But somebody probably will and it won’t be a bad idea.  

Also, he has a promotion deal with John Deer to sell tractors and I think that’s super cool.  

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s not ideal.  I can imagine it would be uncomfortable.  And it could put a strain on a very good friendship.

This is why you never work for your significant other.  And preferably don’t work with them.  Could it work? Yes.  Could it also be a disaster?  Yes, and more often.  

This is silly and more speculation than “reason”. 

Two dudes who are great friends playing football on the same team is waaaaay different than being in a relationship. 

Poor analogy. And you’re wrong on this. 😆

Lets get the OL and ILB fixed in FA and worry about quarterback “feelings” some other time.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 6

On 3/8/2024 at 10:57 AM, MartinC said:

I like Samuels - he's a good player but we need to get younger and bigger at that #3 WR spot. But that makes me laugh. Since when is 10 yards a catch 'explosive'??

That's what bothered me about Samuel, he's allegedly one of the top couple fastest players on the team, if not THE fastest, but you never saw that on gameday.  Just no downfield or catch and run explosive threat whatsoever.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not just because he sucks, I think he'd be a bad choice for backup.   One of the hardest things for a rookie QB is to learn the art of decision making -- I think the last thing we need is one of the worst decision makers in the NFL as the rookie QB's "mentor".

You’re just saying that to keep your expectations under control.  

We know how you really feel.  We did some digging and found out you registered SamDarnoldsBiggestFan.com and you are collecting all the context to debut it after he makes a triumphant signing to save some struggling franchises.

It’s ok to be excited.  Let it flow through you! 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is silly and more speculation than “reason”. 

Two dudes who are great friends playing football on the same team is waaaaay different than being in a relationship. 

Poor analogy. And you’re wrong on this. 😆

Let’s get the OL and ILB fixed in FA and worry about quarterback “feelings” some other time.

Quarterbacks are people too! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re just saying that to keep your expectations under control.  

We know how you really feel.  We did some digging and fouls out you registered SamDarnoldsBiggestFan.com and you are collecting all the context to debut it after he makes a triumphant signing to save some struggling franchises.

It’s ok to be excited.  Let it flow through you! 

Yep Sam Darnold is very exciting.    As many say the 7th season is often the breakout season.  And usually its when you are on team #4 in your career.  So perfect storm for grand success for Sam.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So the Broncos are going to sell everything, trade everything, take the cap hits now and start building through multiple draft picks so they can have an entirely new, young, drafted team in 3 years in excellent cap position.  

They might be putting themselves in position to get the #1 pick next year.  

I guess that’s worth paying Sean Payton 10M/year to do.  

I can see the logic in the total rebuild but eeek, that’s going to lead to some lean and non-competitive seasons.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just saying...

You can’t be on a coaching staff and play on the field. Blough essentially retired when he took a coaching job. It’s not a possibility (and you don’t want it anyways, even in preseason he sucked big time despite being a likable guy). It’ll be enough having his knowledge in the meeting rooms and at practice, with his coaching career on the line. There would be no benefit to him also being a player even if it were allowed. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Sam Darnold is very exciting.    As many say the 7th season is often the breakout season.  And usually its when you are on team #4 in your career.  So perfect storm for grand success for Sam.

See! There we go.  Maybe one more time, with feeling!

(There was a fantastic Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode titled “One more time with feeling” which the entire town was pulled into a musical, and the entire episode, or most of it, was sung. Oh, and late 90’s Sarah Michelle Gellar was my biggest celebrity crush. Man, she was something.)

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That's what bothered me about Samuel, he's allegedly one of the top couple fastest players on the team, if not THE fastest, but you never saw that on gameday.  Just no downfield or catch and run explosive threat whatsoever.

He was lead with the ball, thrown to in stride with room to run, maybe a dozen times in his career here. It’s not a surprise you never saw that (and he was never a downfield threat type of guy, in general—I’m talking about YAC opportunities). 

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So the Broncos are going to sell everything, trade everything, take the cap hits now and start building through multiple draft picks so they can have an entirely new, young, drafted team in 3 years in excellent cap position.  

They might be putting themselves in position to get the #1 pick next year.  

I guess that’s worth paying Sean Payton 10M/year to do.  

I can see the logic in the total rebuild but eeek, that’s going to lead to some lean and non-competitive seasons.  

Payton maybe gone before that rebuild is done.