Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

24 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I want a lot of shinny new toys. Here's a couple I'm pounding the table for

Edge - Bruce Smith

CB - Deion Sanders

S - Adam Archuleta

LB - Jeremiah Trotter

QB - Jeff George

WR - Brandon Lloyd

Seriously, bring in a C, another OL who can play T, an edge, another rotational DL, a LB and a DB who both can play and communicate 

With that team, we can't lose.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

One thing to keep in mind about the free agent frenzy period is that the 49ers are/were one of the best teams in the league at manipulating the system to acquire compensatory draft picks. This year alone they stole aquired at least 5.

Don't know if Peters will continue to keep that a priority given that we only have about 20 players signed.

But if we are committed to maximizing compensatory considerations as a goal don't expect many (if any) teir one aka "break the bank" type signings.

Maybe one or two relative bargains the first 5 days and the majority coming from players who don't count against the compensatory formula along with a few select acquisitions after the second wave (more moderate contracts) and later in the off season when the real mom and pops bargain bin garage sale type signings start in a week or two.

Be patient and just let it simmer folks.

We've finally got competent  mature adults in positions of authority along with one supercool cat  tending to the simmer…

image.gif.86ad1f7f9a32690b7335f7bab15d9cb2.gif

All well be well.

EDIT

Discclaimer:

Then again Peters may be pulling an okey doke move on us while he masterfully gets set to play the wolf in sheeps clothing routine and we  end uo going  full YOLO!!! 

In which case all bets are off and we're right in the heart of the fray with huge big money grip type announcements starting early day one and continuing unabated until the gusher finally dries up.

I don't anticipate this happening, though.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4

Who is under the radar?

Fowler: I outlined a few under-the-radar names I've heard leading up to free agency last week coming out of the combine, but here are a few more sneaky good free agents (not household names but players who could do better than expected to varying degrees):

• Safeties Alohi Gilman (scouts called him a pleasant surprise) and Micah Hyde (he can still make an impact at 33 years old)

• Guards Damien Lewis and John Simpson (good interior offensive line play will get you paid)

• Pass-rushers Denico Autry (the tape is still really good despite him being 34 years old), Jadeveon Clowney (he usually waits to sign but might go off the board faster after a 9.5-sack season) and Josh Uche (he has speed and is good on third down).

• Defensive tackles Grover Stewart, Sheldon Rankins, DJ Reader and Justin Jones (many teams are looking for run-stopping and explosion inside)

• Wide receiver Noah Brown (he can still run well, averaging 17.2 yards per catch in 2023)

• Offensive tackle Jermaine Eluemunor (it's a soft OT market, and he can play both tackle spots and is good in pass protection)

• Cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie (experienced and still just 28) and Darious Williams (4 INTs and 19 pass breakups in 2023)

• Slot cornerback Kenny Moore II (an Indy re-sign feels possible, though)

• Running backs D'Andre Swift (he's coming off a great season and is only 25) and Zack Moss (he's a good option for teams that don't want to spend for top RBs)

Bucs keeping one of their own?

Fowler: The Buccaneers will likely try to re-sign linebacker Lavonte David, who made $7.3 million last season and held up well at age 34. One potential team to watch for him is San Francisco. The 49ers are in the market because of Dre Greenlaw's Achilles injury but might not spend at the top of it.

ne.png&h=110&w=110jax.png&h=110&w=110car.png&h=110&w=110

WR-needy teams looking to Ridley?

Fowler: Expect the Patriots to swing big on receiver Calvin Ridley. The Jaguars are very interested in keeping Ridley but haven't been able to close the deal.

The Patriots were in on Jerry Jeudy before the receiver was traded to Cleveland, but they wanted to wait until free agency before committing to a receiver, likely because they have their eyes on a few.

Graziano: The Panthers are on the hunt for a No. 1 wide receiver, so if -- and I say if -- Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr. ends up available in a trade, they'd likely be involved. I expect them to at least look into Ridley as well, should he hit the market.

Packers in the safety market?

Fowler: Green Bay is considered a threat in the safety market. It wouldn't be a shock if the Packers comb the Xavier McKinney and Kamren Curl markets, depending on the price point. Recently released safety Quandre Diggs could also be an option.

Interior line on the rise?

Graziano: Interior line play on both sides of the ball is going to be a theme in free agency. Guards and defensive tackles are likely to do well. Kevin Dotson's new deal with the Rams opened a lot of eyes. His average of $16 million per year is much higher than many anticipated, and the hope among the top free agent guards such as Miami's Robert Hunt, Detroit's Jonah Jackson and Baltimore's John Simpson is that it will push up the ceiling for their own deals.

Big cap concerns for the Chargers?

Graziano: There is big Chargers news coming between now and 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday. The question is exactly what that news will be. The Chargers have four key veterans with cap numbers in excess of $32 million: edge rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, and wide receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. Currently projected to be $21 million over the cap, they have to do something, and it's unlikely they can keep all four of those guys on the team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39691968/2024-nfl-free-agency-latest-buzz-news-rumors-signings-contracts-trades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You mean like Kliff, Blough, Johnson, Pritchard, Taub and Howell? 

I think we have the "around veteran QB guys" covered without signing a bum back up.

Those are coaches. You want a veteran player in that room too. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder if Mitch Morse is a target. Played for Johnson. I'd really like to see us sign 2 OTs and draft a Center, but I understand why that's an important spot to have a vet.

Hes good. 31 is a bit old but on a 3 ish year contract hed be fine. Hopefully in that time Stromberg or someone we draft develops.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Those are coaches. You want a veteran player in that room too. 

Why does Blaugh not fit that bill as "vet QB that will sit on bench next to Maye during games" not count?

Also, having Howell and Maye being friends and learning together, will be helpful, but I see a world where we trade Howell and bring in McCoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Why does Blaugh not fit that bill as "vet QB that will sit on bench next to Maye during games" not count?

Also, having Howell and Maye being friends and learning together, will be helpful, but I see a world where we trade Howell and bring in McCoy

I dont like the Maye-Howell friendship dynamic. Has the potential to be awkward. And also typically friends dont always work well together. Its like im school when you did group work, you horse around more with your friends. Also Howell himself is still a developmental guy. I want every developental second spent on Maye(or Daniels). 

Again Im just talking purely in the meeting rooms. After watching Hard Knocks and Quarterback I see why teams and young QBs like having a veteran in the meeting rooms during the week. Their presence makes the film analysis and play digestion a lot smoother.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

@KoolBlue13 wrote:

"Why does Blaugh not fit that bill as "vet QB that will sit on bench next to Maye during games" not count?

Also, having Howell and Maye being friends and learning together, will be helpful, but I see a world where we trade Howell and bring in McCoy"

KB13, I agreed with everything above up until the portion I bolded.

A lot of members disagree but I'm just not sure we're better off trading Howell for a third day draft pick or at best a late 3rd.

I don’t get the general forums desire to trade Howell.

I think a young qb who has started 18 games and was better than average in about a third of them, despite being sorely misused by an egotistical, damn near maniacal, play caller and who was criminally abused by an inept 0-line and who despite this clearly has upside if handled properly is a valuable asset to this team moving forward. 

The book on Sam Howell has not been written. He could one day be that great backup that wins us 4 out of 5 games a few years down the road and keeps us in the thick of the conference lead when Drake/Jayden/Caleb gets hurt for a few games.

I say he has more value to us than even a late 3rd round lottery ticket.

If we really want a McCoy type that's fine but keep Howell on the roster. I'd hate to see Sam go elsewhere beat tge odds and turn into a mid tier starting qb.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I don’t get the general forums desire to trade Howell.

I think a young qb who has started 18 games and was better than average in about a third of them, despite being sorely misused by an egotistical, damn near maniacal, play caller and who was criminally abused by an inept 0-line and who despite this clearly has upside if handled properly is a valuable asset to this team moving forward. 

The book on Sam Howell has not been written. He could one day be that great backup that wins us 4 out of 5 games a few years down the road and keeps us in the thick of the conference lead when Drake/Jayden/Caleb gets hurt for a few games.

I say he has more value to us than even a late 3rd round lottery ticket.

I'm 100% with you on that. It's a zero drama QB room. Howell is known to let things slide off his back. He's a very hard worker. He has as much experience in the system as Maye. 

It's a perfect situation and a definite strength. We haven't had a QB room this impressive in a very long time, if ever.

EB is such a **** OC.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm 100% with you on that. It's a zero drama QB room. Howell is known to let things slide off his back. He's a very hard worker. He has as much experience in the system as Maye. 

It's a perfect situation and a definite strength. We haven't had a QB room this impressive in a very long time, if ever.

EB is such a **** OC.

Completely misread you brother! My bad.

You were saying you thought he'll be traded--- NOT that you want him traded.

Got it!

We're in lockstep on this one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Any player I like I always expect the Eagles somehow linked to them

I have a healthy hate for the Eagles, but damn that front office doesn't miss a trick.

Bunch of ravenous red meat eaters there.

Grudgingly respect them, but can't wait to the day when "The Simmering Black Cat" aka GMAP starts out witting them.

• Like 3

My group of watch list targets

OL Mike Onwenu

OL John Simpson

WR Calvin Ridley

WR Gabe Davis

RB D’Andre Swift

Edge Dorance Armstrong 

LB Jordyn Brooks

LB Azeez Al-Shaair

LB/S Jayron Kearse

S Geno Stone

CB Ahkello Witherspoon

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Completely misread you brother! My bad.

You were saying you thought he'll be traded--- NOT that you want him traded.

Got it!

We're in lockstep on this one.

Nah, I want to keep Sam. I was saying that I can see a world where that happens. 

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Let’s spend spend spend. 

This is what VoR gets to point at and say that he was right, which is one of my least favorite things on here.

Calm down.  :ols:

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is what VoR gets to point at and say that he was right, which is one of my least favorite things on here.

Calm down.  :ols:

:ols: Our approach is going to be interesting to watch. Got to think we make a good run at plenty of players. 

• Haha 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Going to be interesting seeing the board freak out over how little activity from us in the first push of free agency.

Nah there’s no need to freak out, we have better people running the show now.