Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

All I'm seeing is an older player who has missed 3 times as many games (17) as TDs scored (5) over the past 2 seasons. 

Hope it's a very team friendly contract if we bring him in.

Probably not a popular take but Im not seeing much difference at this point in his career than if we kept Thomas. 

• Like 1

Ertz is way too old for my taste, but he would buy some time to find a long term solution if they don’t see one available now. Same for LT Tyron Smith. Both injury prone but can still play well when healthy. Problem is both probably would prefer more of a win-now destination.

Noah Fant would be a good addition. He is 26, and although he did not really catch on in Denver, he brings decent enough upside. While he may not bring the receptions/yards, he is a solid blocker, and we could use that in the run game, and for additional help on the O line.  It boils down to how he is used. He is a decent receiver, just not targeted in Denver's offense and rarely for Seattle. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Hoping we dont bite

I was curious to see an example of other running backs to get a gauge of a say a 3/30 deal and if year 3 wasn't guaranteed if we could work it lower than a 2/20 in theory.  

So many rookie deals, franchise tags, 1 year deals and a few top guys.  I knew RB was deprioritized, but hadn't really noticed just how short term most of these deals are.

edit for pic

Looks generally the same for other positions (other than QB/OT).  So maybe it's just how the NFL works in general.

image.png

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

Noah Fant would be a good addition. He is 26, and although he did not really catch on in Denver, he brings decent enough upside. While he may not bring the receptions/yards, he is a solid blocker, and we could use that in the run game, and for additional help on the O line.  It boils down to how he is used. He is a decent receiver, just not targeted in Denver's offense and rarely for Seattle. 

Yes give me the 26 yo who still has some upside instead of over the hill Ertz! I don’t mind a midly receiver at TE if he’s a good blocker.

Just now, CommDownMan said:

I was curious to see an example of other running backs to get a gauge of a say a 3/30 deal and if year 3 wasn't guaranteed if we could work it lower than a 2/20 in theory.  

So many rookie deals, franchise tags, 1 year deals and a few top guys.  I knew RB was deprioritized, but hadn't really noticed just how short term most of these deals are.

A de facto 2/20 for Saquon yeah I’d do that. Other good RBs available even cheaper too. Everyone understands that running backs have been devalued in today’s game, it is baked in to the pricing at this point. Find me a blue Chip talent that we can get any cheaper, and I’ll be all in. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's 33. He's probably a good option in the short-term and a nice addition for a rookie QB. 

Would also probably give Turner a bit more time to develop. Still think we'd need to add a TE through the draft.

Tunrer is heading into his 3rd year. Signing someone to give him "more time to develop"? My God. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

One thing to acknowledge is that FA is just as big a crapshoot as the draft but way more expensive.

For every London Fletcher there's a Jeremiah Trotter.

For every Pierre Garcon there's a Brandon Lloyd.

For every Kendall Fuller and Deangelo Hall there's a Josh Norman and William Jackson.

Eh.  Yes.  There are free agent misses.  

But for the most part, a free agent miss is more on the team than the player.  The player is who he is, and you can see who they are on film in NFL games.  

FA busts typically come in four areas:

1. You sign them to do something they haven't done or have shown they can't do. Ie. not a scheme fit.

2. You sign them to play a larger role than they had played previously and it doesn't work out.

3. The player gets paid and gets lazy.

4. The player gets hurt.

In most cases, it's not that the player just forgets how to play football.

So, if you do your homework, you can basically eliminate #1.

#2 is tricky, you MIGHT want to sign a good backup to be a starter, but that wouldn't be for big money.  However, if you're going to sign a backup and expect them to be a starter, you have to be ready for the possibility the player is really just a backup.  

#3 happens.  You try and avoid it by checking out the personality, but there's only so much you can do.

#4 is mostly luck, unless you sign guys who have been hurt a lot to a big contract and expect them to stay healthy.  In which case, that's stupid. 

33 minutes ago, Conn said:

To be fair, it’s harder when your pro personnel evaluation sucks and you constantly pay guys big money and then use them differently than their previous team. Somehow I doubt Quinn’s staff will major in forcing the square peg into the round hole, so the hit rate should be higher 

Yeah, I saw this after I started my reply to @Warhead36. Basically my #1 above.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Tunrer is heading into his 3rd year. Signing someone to give him "more time to develop"? My God. 

Didn't he miss most or all of oneof those years to injury?

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Didn't he miss most or all of oneof those years to injury?

And? 

Can't wait for his second contract while we see if his "development" pays off. 

He's a5th round pick who has shown nothing. If he can't produce in year 3, he's a bust. No one is making plans around giving him extra time to develop. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

And? 

Can't wait for his second contract while we see if his "development" pays off. 

He's a5th round pick who has shown nothing. If he can't produce in year 3, he's a bust. No one is making plans around giving him extra time to develop. 

Okay.  But let him "develop" as a backup behind a decent starter and see if his second contract should be for a no 2 TE rather than a starter 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I think we need to just ban players/coaches with the name Turner.  We had a bad HC Turner.  A bad OC Turner.  A bad guard Turner.  And now a non-developing TE Turner.

Enough with the Turners!!

(j/k)

I'm going to tell a story now which involves a political figure but this is NOT political at all. I think this is a fair story for the Stadium.  If it isn't, let me know and I'll remove it.  

In 2008, I went to go get a haircut at the same barber shop I'd been going to for years, only to find out my barber had sold it to a bunch of redneck hillbillies.  I was like, well, I need a haircut, these guys cut hair, what could possibly go wrong? I was such a sweet summer child.  

On the small tube TV they had installed in the corner was election coverage.  And they were talking about Barak Obama, who for those who don't remember, was running for President in 2008.  And the woman who was cutting my hair saw him on screen, got very animated, and said (And I am not making this up) "Just another Hoooooooooo-saaaaaaiiiinnnn. I'm done with Hoooooooooo-saaaaaaiiiinnnns!  Too many Hoooooooooo-saaaaaaiiiinnnns!!!!!"  Clearly she was trying to say the candidate's middle name.  I would like to point out that I am of Indian origin, but middle east descent.  My name doesn't have a Hussein in it.  I didn't look like Saadam OR Barack Obama.  But I'm not entirely sure this woman would have been able to tell the difference.  And this woman was ranting and raving about "Hoooooooooo-saaaaaaiiiinnnn" while waving a straight razor around my neck.  

I made peace with God at that moment and thought I was going to die with a straight razor to the neck in the barber chair of a hillbille who was done with "Hoooooooooo-saaaaaaiiiinnnns."  

Needless to say, I did not go back.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@wit33 alert.  But I don't see it happening

lol…

To clarify, I don't anticipate it, but I could support the Front Office if they opt to build an elite backfield for their rookie QB, taking the risk on a talented RB in his age 27 and 28 seasons. Own the risk, but acquiring elite talent is my weakness, regardless of position.

Investing in elite RB talent has minimal cap implications, so even in the unfortunate event of a knee injury, you're dealing with a player consuming only 3.5 to 5% of the team's overall cap, likely off the books by year 3.

I can easily envision a top 5 rushing attack with Jayden Daniels, utilizing a mix of BRob and Barkley. Alternatively, it could provide reliable support for a QB like Drake Maye as he navigates the intricacies of the game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Probably not a popular take but Im not seeing much difference at this point in his career than if we kept Thomas. 

Look deeper....on the payroll ledger. That's the big difference. 

• Like 1

Somebody said this as a General philosophy, I don’t know who, but I agree:

Spend your FA money on the non-premium positions where you can get better value… safety, RB, LB, TE

Save your draft picks for the expensive premium positions QB, OT, WR, CB. Need guys on Rookie deals at those spots as much as possible.

PS looks like we signed Ertz while I was typing—guess that fits so 👍👍

• Like 11
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1