Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You're GM A Peters. How do you build this roster. Fun off-season game

Koolblue13

Happy first day of the off-season. One that we should definitely win.

What pending FAs are you keeping. Who are you chasing in FA? How do you play the draft.

What does our roster look like next season to you?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-commanders/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

With you and your staffs experience I am not going to make any specific player suggestions. I feel I can trust your decision making and hope you hold my trust for years to come.

I am anticipating a lot of mid level FA's and maybe one or two bigger names coming our way that will best fit the new schemes.

I expect to have the most productive FA season in years and best draft in decades.

I am excited to know all positions will be upgraded, even the recently somewhat ignored LB, TE and most of the OL.

Thank you for being involved in building the new bright future, restoring the team to prominence!!! 

Initial plan:
Tons of collaboration. For starters Id sit down with my FO/scouts and coaching staff. I’d ask my coaches what  traits do they value most in a player and what sort of traits do they need to run their offense/defense. I’d probably tell my scouting department to come up with a small board for each positional group matching these discussions as well as whatever other information they have on them. There’d be some more collaboration after the coaches have had time to review tape and the conversations would continue.

FA:
knowing I can’t solve everything in one season, I would look at some one year deals for some positions like LB and CB.

1-2x WR 

1x QB (vet backup)

2x LB

2x DB

2x OL

1x TE

1x DE

Draft:

would definitely be going QB at 2 and then likely BPA for the rest of the draft. This team has enough holes and a talent deficit that we can go BPA and be fine. If I were to focus on any specific positions it would most likely only be in round two and three. 

• Like 1

Take Maye at 2 or trade back if we get an offer we can't refuse and are able to load up on picks. Having lots of picks over the next two years would be a good way to start the rebuild of our new franchise. Build new facilities and get moving on a new stadium.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2

First our own FAs. I'd make it a priority to extend Cosmi. I'd try to resign Curl as well but would have a hard limit on what I offer him and if its not enough, let him walk. Ditto Fuller. I'd try and see if I can get a bargain extension on Davis, if not I'd exercise the 5th year and see what he can do under Quinn.

I'd prioritize LG, C, and Edge in FA. Those positions are deep and they are of dire needs for us. I wouldn't break the bank on any long term signings(but I'd be willing to pay Lions LG Jonah Jackson good money). Try to get guys on 1-2 year deals at bargain rates and maybe you luck into someone good(kinda like Rivera did with Ronald Darby in 2020 or Deandre Carter and JD McKissic in 2021).

At 2 take Maye. Get the best OT available with our first second rounder(deep OT class, someone with a 1st round grade likely available at that spot). Second second rounder try to find another Edge or LB. In the third round try to find some more skill players. Round 4 on just focus on high upside but raw athletes, ideally age 21 or under, that can fit along the same growth timeline as Maye.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

No trade up to 1 unless no.1 next year is off the table.

No big-ticket free agents this year

No to selecting Daniels at no.2 concerns 

For trade down if draft hall is right for the pick, QB later or trade up like PFF. mock.

Many holes to fill being reason. and build through the draft.

For Maye at no.2 If we stay but options open

Taking best player at need positions that fit the team OL,TE,DE,LB or trade down.

For keeping all signed players at the moment. Not resigning under performing team free-agents.

For keeping a open mine on trades, free-agents and the draft. I will listen.

Sign as many draft free-agents as possible. we have the cap space and the money.

Save as much cap as allowed for next year. After free-agents, extended contracts, draft...

First step is a thorough evaluation of each of that draft-available QBs.  What can each do and how would that fit if we needed them as a starter or potential backup.  Evaluate all free agent QBs and ones that may be offered as trade.  Disregard most of Howell's raw stats.  Evaluate what he does well and what you would want him to do if he had to be the starter.  Peg draft values, trade values, relative values for all the QBs.  Prepare game plan.

I am expecting Peters to check in here so hoping he takes notes....

Release Logan Thomas adding cap space

Let Curl, Gibson and Fuller and Samuels go

Lets overhaul mostly the defense in FA like Gibbs did when he came back for Gregg Williams

FA signing

Noah Fant TE

Mike Onwenu RT

Xavier McKinney S

Chidobe Awuzie CB

Bryce Huff DE

Josh Uche DE

Frank Luvu LB or if too expensive Tyrel Dodson

Draft. -- add speed, O line, offense

Drake Maye

Ladd McConkey 2nd

Ja'Tavion Sanders 2nd

Cooper Beebe 3rd

Adisa Isaac 3rd

Bruce Irving 4th or if he's gone Jaylen Wright

Blake Fisher 5th

Jahiem Bell 6th

Malik Washington 7th

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going crazy in free agency as there's depth at positions of need. In the draft I'm keeping in mind that I saw Sam Howell play the QB position at a high level in some tough circumstances in the first half of the season. Not rulling out a QB but hopefully not at 2. 

Free agency would be about taking advantage of the fact that there is depth at IOL and edge rusher. Michael Onwenu, Robert Hunt, Jonah Jack or Kevin Dotson are plan A. For edge rusher plan A is Jonathan Greenard, Bryce Huff or ZaDarius Smith. 

In the draft I'm not particularly concerned about not finding a trade down partner, so I'm moving down and taking either Alt or Fashanu. With the extra ammo I'm looking to trade back into the first round but still trying to leave myself with one second round pick. If I can do that and be in position to grab J.J McCarthy I'd think long and hard about it, but if not, Bralen Trice and Darius Robinson would be my target. Round 2 is basically pure BPA but JaTavion Sanders or Jonah Elliss would be near the top of the list. Further down I'm taking advantage of the depth at receiver and running back, and looking for an off the ball linebacker somewhere in round 3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am expecting Peters to check in here so hoping he takes notes....

Release Logan Thomas adding cap space

Let Curl, Gibson and Fuller and Samuels go

Lets overhaul mostly the defense in FA like Gibbs did when he came back for Gregg Williams

FA signing

Noah Fant TE

Mike Onwenu RT

Xavier McKinney S

Chidobe Awuzie CB

Bryce Huff DE

Josh Uche DE

Frank Luvu LB or if too expensive Tyrel Dodson

Draft. -- add speed, O line, offense

Drake Maye

Ladd McConkey 2nd

Ja'Tavion Sanders 2nd

Cooper Beebe 3rd

Adisa Isaac 3rd

Bruce Irving 4th or if he's gone Jaylen Wright

Blake Fisher 5th

Jahiem Bell 6th

Malik Washington 7th

It would pretty sweet to sign those FA's .:headbang:

It would also be nice to get Beebe in the third, but I think he will be gone by then.

The two TE's threw me off, but it would remake the TE room.

:229:The Rook

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Rook said:

It would pretty sweet to sign those FA's .:headbang:

It would also be nice to get Beebe in the third, but I think he will be gone by then.

The two TE's threw me off, but it would remake the TE room.

:229:The Rook

Heck if GB can take two TE's early, why not us take two and the 2nd one is late in the draft.  I think if Jahiem Bell falls, which is possible, he's a good roll of the dice type player in the late rounds.

I know we are used to Ronmart and Brucemart in FA.   But with the cap room and the new start we can be aggressive.  If you recall Gibbs inherited a crap defense and in one off season rebuilt it partly in FA and Gregg Williams helped remake that defense fast.  I think we can do the same here.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heck if GB can take two TE's early, why not us take two and the 2nd one is late in the draft.  I think if Jahiem Bell falls, which is possible, he's a good roll of the dice type player in the late rounds.

I know we are used to Ronmart and Brucemart in FA.   But with the cap room and the new start we can be aggressive.  If you recall Gibbs inherited a crap defense and in one off season rebuilt it partly in FA and Gregg Williams helped remake that defense fast.  I think we can do the same here.

I like Fant, Sinnott and Baylor Cupp for a TE room. Sinnott can double as the HB/FB. Cupp maybe PS and keep Bates.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Sign ekeler on a reasonable deal to serve as 1B to our 1A in BRob. Gibson ain’t cuttin it. Ek would be a game changer as a passing downs/quick check down option for a rookie QB, especially as the o-line gets built from the ground up. And he clearly needs a change of scenery

What would reasonable look like to you?  He’s aging, often injured, which leaves him unavailable for large portions of the season.  I’m not giving up more than 5-7 million per season on a 3 year deal.

8 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

What would reasonable look like to you?  He’s aging, often injured, which leaves him unavailable for large portions of the season.  I’m not giving up more than 5-7 million per season on a 3 year deal.

CMC and Barkley have been injured far more, would you say no to them? Ekeler is one year removed from an extremely good season and never fully recovered from the high ankle sprain he suffered at the beginning of this season. He'll have an entire offseason to get healthy again

And I would absolutely take the deal you mentioned

• Like 1

Stay at #2 and take Drake Maye

After that we have 4 picks remaining in the top 100.  I think we look OL depth or fill a need on the OL with higher picks like the 2nd round, then we look DE, DB, LB as well with those 4 remaining picks after the Maye pick.

FA route… I think this is where we could grab a TE, DE, LB and even OL needs as well, I kinda feel that we could solve a lot of the needs with both the draft and through FA specially with a FO that has proven to be able to draft well (Adam Peters)

In closing I’m still on the fence with trading back, I’m still waiting for the Combine and Pro Days to take place and my tune might change after that cause maybe Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy might move up on a lot of peoples lists and we could trade back a few spots from the #2 and get more capital and still nab 1 of these guys with like the 10th-14th pick…. 

• Like 1

"Reasonable deal" is the new "vet min plus incentives."

15 hours ago, mh86 said:

Something else I would add to my take is hire an outside scouting team to gather grades and info on players. I’d leave no stone unturned in this recalibrate 

Every team has that. Its called pro scouting and there is always a Director of Pro Personnel or something like that. Currently have Chris Polian in that role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

"Reasonable deal" is the new "vet min plus incentives."

Every team has that. Its called pro scouting and there is always a Director of Pro Personnel or something like that. Currently have Chris Polian in that role.

Yeah of course. I’m talking about utilizing an outside source as well. They have scouting agencies