Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

You need both. Gibbs talked himself into Jason Campbell and made the trade 2 days before the draft. It was like Ron being in love with Forbes. He didn’t even consider how the board would play out. A legit GM would have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Carlos Rogers with the first pick and taken BPA with the Jason Campbell pick. Aaron Rodgers in Al Saunders offense under Gibbs with Gregg Williams D would have added a Lombardi or three to the case. You could make an argument to rename it after Gibbs at that point. 

Gibbs probably saw Rodgers as his "John Riggins" except that Rodgers was unproven and no way Gibbs wanted a personality like Rodgers as his rookie QB.  

17 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Gibby was smart enough to use John Riggins properly - as a lead runner who could block for himself.  George Allen mishandled Riggo so badly Riggo told Allen to give him #60 since all he did was block.  Pardee was a little better, but the number of touches other RBs got was criminal.  All you have to do is watch that huge run he had against Dallas in 1979 - outrunning the secondary - to realize that the only reason to give the ball to any other RB is b/c Riggo's getting some oxygen on the sidelines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

40 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

With all the plumbing issues at Fed Ex I can never associate "good feelings" and flushing things at the stadium.

Gotta pray they stay down.

We pay the price when the poo pipes blow.

/s

No water is a huge improvement to spraying poo.  :ols:

still can't believe we almost took out Hurts with faulty handicap railings.  :ols:

that's gotta be worse 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Gibbs probably saw Rodgers as his "John Riggins" except that Rodgers was unproven and no way Gibbs wanted a personality like Rodgers as his rookie QB.  

he didn't have to start Rodgers that year.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To me this is potato/potato (you have to say the second one with a British accent).

The setup I like is a President of Football Operations, and the GM and HC work for that person.  

You switched it to the GM is the head of football ops, and then the HC and head of player personnel works for them.

It’s essentially the same with different titles.  

My key is I don’t like the guy who’s picking the players to be the person who the coach works for.  Just like I don’t like the person picking the players working for the coach.  

I want the player picker and the coach on the same level of the org chart.  If one fails, they both fail.  If one succeeds, they both succeed.  

Their fates are intertwined.  

Basically your goal is to force cooperation. And I dig it.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes.  And no one side has dominance over the other. 

That works for a while if you are successful. The back stabbing knives come out when you are not. If you are successful long enough, the egos get too big for equality as well. There is also a large degree of luck involved. You try to make informed decisions based on the information but you need luck to align with the decisions. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That works for a while if you are successful. The back stabbing knives come out when you are not. If you are successful long enough, the egos get too big for equality as well. There is also a large degree of luck involved. You try to make informed decisions based on the information but you need luck to align with the decisions. 

If you’re not successful you fire both.  It’s pretty simple.  

This is why one doesn’t work for the other where one can’t scapegoat the other. 

If you succeed, you succeed together. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That’s silly.  Gibbs won 3 SBs with 3 QBs.  

Gibbs might be the best coach in American sports when you consider he’s in the HOF of 2 different sports.

Not to take anything away from Beathard.  

But without Gibbs there is nowhere near the success.  

I always hear this factual statement but no one ever adds the fact that along with 3 diff qbs, there were 3 diff starting rbs.   We had no dynasty of triplets like the cowboys did or broncos under shanny or multiple times in Pitt.

Also re Wade Phillips, I thought I read somewhere that during his interview with Gruden that Jay had a video package of his own play calls and said they Ould defeat Wade's scheme.  What a snowflake toolbox who I'm sure was afraid of any other coach on his roster that had HC exp so they could be named interim if Jay was canned midseason.  

12 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I always hear this factual statement but no one ever adds the fact that along with 3 diff qbs, there were 3 diff starting rbs.   We had no dynasty of triplets like the cowboys did or broncos under shanny or multiple times in Pitt.

4 different starting RB's. Riggo, Rogers, Byner.......and Timmy Smith who Gibbs saved to start the Super Bowl!!!! He didn't tell him til right before kickoff. Rogers started the whole season but Smith started the SB and STILL holds the SB rushing record. And you could argue 4 different starting QB's since Jay Schroeder started most of the SB season before St. Joe replaced him with Doug Williams. 

The Hogs deserve as much credit as Gibbs does for these feats in my opinion.....they were the foundation, Gibbs was the brains.

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Also re Wade Phillips, I thought I read somewhere that during his interview with Gruden that Jay had a video package of his own play calls and said they Ould defeat Wade's scheme.  What a snowflake toolbox who I'm sure was afraid of any other coach on his roster that had HC exp so they could be named interim if Jay was canned midseason.

I don't know who or what in my life I could describe as a snowflake toolbox, but I really want to use that now.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Didn’t we have Wade Phillips son or grandson on Jay’s staff though? Like a TEs coach or something? I remember going to a game in Houston and ole Wade sat in our section. Had to be 2014.

Yes.  And Wade wanted to come coach with his relative.  But Jay was an idiot and chose Barry.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Are we all turning on EB? I had a feeling he was a fraud from the start. 

Similar to how Leo Mazzone was hailed as an incredible pitching coach when working with Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux, I had a hunch that it was the same thing with EB and Mahomes. Mazzone goes to the Orioles and flames out spectacularly and, well, I don’t think anyone here is impressed with EB. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

If Ron said he liked most of JDR's defense plays ,but a few he will make some changes on , why wait until JDR is gone to make these minor changes?

Why not adress this with JDR during the previous four years they worked together?

And if the D actually improves with these changes, there is no excuse for not demanding JDR make these changes earlier, when Ron first noticed they should be made

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, c slag said:

If Ron said he liked most of JDR's defense plays ,but a few he will make some changes on , why wait until JDR is gone to make these minor changes?

Why not adress this with JDR during the previous four years they worked together?

And if the D actually improves with these changes, there is no excuse for not demanding JDR make these changes earlier, when Ron first noticed they should be made

Sometimes I think RR didn't exert more authority over JDR because he had been a former head coach too. And maybe he was worried that if the defense became too good then JDR would be a threat to replace him. You'd be amazed how many bosses unconsciously sabotage a subordinate who poses a threat to their job...without even being aware of what they're doing.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Are we all turning on EB? I had a feeling he was a fraud from the start.

I had doubts also but was hoping for the best and wanted to be wrong. I’ll admit my doubts were strictly based on his penchant for referring to himself in the third person as I generally think those that do that are full of it. 😂

• Haha 1