Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

50 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Whatever....it's not like we don't know who the hot candidates are.  LOL

I love the transparency

Probably the Panthers, if their requests were leaked then so too would the denials. They’ll wait until they have confirmed interviews that go well, if they can 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I like Aaron Glenn, it took him a couple of season to resurrect Goff and turn the Lions into an offensive force. I don't know much about Weaver, I was expecting McDonald.

Just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean they don't plan on meeting with Macdonald or a ton of other candidates not yet mentioned

Jeez I’ve a migraine catching up with this thread. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if so but on the Keim podcasts he referenced twice if they end up picking out of the range of Maye and Caleb trading up to get them.  I wasn't sure if that's how he felt about those players or just his take about swinging for the top QBs in theory.

I’m currently in the trade up to #1 slot for Williams camp, so that works for me.

They have enough quality head coaching candidates I think they will settle on the right one.

It is the GM I am worried about.  The biggist issue the last 20 plus years has been the inability to acquire talent (draft, FA, etc).  RR was a long list of failures at brining in quality talent.  We have had a couple of good coaches over the timeframe, but never enough talent.

They need to get the GM right.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Fred Jones said:

They have enough quality head coaching candidates I think they will settle on the right one.

It is the GM I am worried about.  The biggist issue the last 20 plus years has been the inability to acquire talent (draft, FA, etc).  RR was a long list of failures at brining in quality talent.  We have had a couple of good coaches over the timeframe, but never enough talent.

They need to get the GM right.

So far the two that Keim has reported (whom I trust the most), Peters or Cunningham would be my choices at the moment.  

Just now, RWJ said:

So far the two that Keim has reported (whom I trust the most), Peters or Cunningham would be my choices at the moment.  

I have found 3 GM candidates so far

Borgonzi, Cook, Cunningham

Commanders requested permission to interview Chiefs’ assistant GM Mike Borgonzi for their general manager job, per source. https://t.co/rWVBk1lPiu

The Commanders aren't wasting time. In addition to head-coaching requests, they have also requested permission to interview Browns AGM Glenn Cook for their new head of football operations, source says. — Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) January 8, 2024

The Commanders have requested permission to interview Bears AGM Ian Cunningham for their new head of football operations position, source says. — Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) January 8, 2024

I thought I saw somewhere they were looking at the Eagles AGM as well.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

It's more likely the agents of the coaching candidates are leaking to the media, and our ownership group is not. Keim has said time and again how tight lipped and measured they are.

Russini sounds bitter that no one in the bldg is leaking to her.

This is a fair point, if they aren't leaking to shefter it could be agents, will that play a factor in who Washington picks?  If we aren't leaking, then the question is, who is not being mentioned that may be flying under the radar.  Bruce used to be famous for his smoke screens that weren't.  This much noise could be done to throw off other teams.

Not saying that's what they are doing, though.

btw, noone's talking about Spielman's connections in bringing Cousins to Minny? Cousins back to DC? Trade back add picks, pick up 3 new OL and a new Edge Rusher? Who knows

3 hours ago, method man said:

It’s the Ravens. They have sustained this pace despite never having premium picks to work with.

Definitely the Ravens.  Since Steve Bischotti bought them in 2000, they have had only 4 losing seasons, have been to the playoffs 15 times (about to be 16),  have 2 Super Bowl titles, 2 AFC championship titles, 4 AFC championship game appearances, and now 7 AFC North division titles.

contrast that with what Snyder did over the same period of time and it is just an embarrassment.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Aaron Glenn is no longer an excellent cornerback for the Jets but a head coaching candidate.  I feel older than usual. 

Wanna feel older? our very own former WR Leonard Hankerson is the WR coach in SF under Kyle and has been coaching for 9 YEARS!   LOL we old

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m currently in the trade up to #1 slot for Williams camp, so that works for me.

I gather from your thumbs down from you on another thread that you don't approve of me having the take that i don't like the idea of trading down where I would not give the GM an out if it blows up in their face at QB.  :ols:. I thought it was a reasonable take.  I won't trash them for doing it.  But I'll trash them if they do it and get it wrong. 

My position about the QB spot in general is simple.  Teams picking in the top 2 that need a QB don't typically trade out of that pick.  That goes double in a ballyhooed draft for QBs.  So if they go a funky route and do something different and it doesn't work, they are out with me.  That's too big of miss for my taste.   I am OK with staying put or trading up for a QB.

But overall, my opinion on the specific QBs doesn't dictate what I want them to do.  Take the QB they love.   And don't mess around with this either way.    If its purely my own personal preference, I'd stay at 2 and take Drake Maye.  But I'd ride with whatever they do and see it play out initially regardless if its my favorite QB.

But yeah specifically to Spielman in that interview with Keim even when Keim prompted him on Jayden Daniels -- he instead talked about Maye and Caleb.  And at one point referenced trading up to get either one.  Because that interview was before they were picking #2  

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 12.56.36 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

I have found 3 GM candidates so far

Borgonzi, Cook, Cunningham

I thought I saw somewhere they were looking at the Eagles AGM as well.

Yup, Eagles Alec Halaby

Why the Commanders are an attractive destination for head coaching, GM candidates

For years, the Washington Commanders has been a destination to avoid, a last resort for coaches, free agents or anyone who wasn't out of other options. The combination of bad working conditions, bad facilities and a meddling, tyrannical boss made the organization something to avoid.

Five months into Josh Harris' tenure as the new owner, none of that is still true.

In fact, the Commanders head coaching job might actually be the most attractive one available this offseason, based on interviews with several NFL sources and agents of head coaching candidates. It's not just that they have the No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, a decent base of young talent, and a ton of cap space to use in the offseason.

The biggest selling point is that they have an owner who seems intent on doing things right.

And he showed again on Monday that he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know, and that he's willing to put his own ego aside to rely on experienced experts. That's what he did by hiring two-time NBA Executive of the Year Bob Myers to lead his search for a new head coach and head of football operations, and by adding former Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman to his advisory committee. Myers has experience building a championship team. Spielman has 30 years of NFL experience.

Putting them in charge is a heck of a lot smarter than doing it himself, and just searching for the biggest name or shiniest new object. And it's a sign that the Commanders are going to be built on intelligence, experience and research, and not just be subject to a billionaire's whims.

Don't underestimate the importance of that when the top candidates with multiple options — like, for example, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, among the assistant coaches the Commanders have already requested to interview — consider their next job. Coaches don't generally mind working for owners that are involved and attentive. In many cases, they welcome the input.

But what they generally don't want are owners who think they are football experts when they are not. They don't need owners dictating whom the organization should draft — as Synder famously did several times throughout his years. Coaches want control of what happens on the field and which players they bring in — something general managers obviously want, too. They don't mind being questioned — sometimes even on a daily basis — as long as their bosses, in the end, allow the football people to do their jobs.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/why-commanders-are-attractive-destination-for-head-coaching-gm-candidates

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Still trying to wrap my brain behind Harris hiring a non football mind to find the right football mind to run the restructuring

.... Synderesque.

Look at it this way, harris is a non football mind so no matter who he picked the first hire was going to be made by a non football mind.

Me personally I like that he's acknowledging his limitations and is letting the smartest person he knows make the first hire.

Ain't no way in hell the previous guy would ever do that.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Wanna feel older? our very own former WR Leonard Hankerson is the WR coach in SF under Kyle and has been coaching for 9 YEARS!   LOL we old

You didn’t have to do this to us today. Wtf 

• Haha 3

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

**** yes. The amount of good will/ reputation they are working with, right out of the gate, is almost staggering. This dude would have laughed at us a year ago. 

• Like 13
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You didn’t have to do this to us today. Wtf 

I was about to reply by asking how seeing Todd Bowles coaching makes him feel.😃

• Haha 1